New baby and post birth advice #55 loo activity suggestions

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
TF has started to stand by herself. Nursery say she’s tried a couple of steps when she thinks no one is watching. She stood next to me today for a good few seconds, and bless her she’s trying so hard to stand up from sitting by herself.

5 took her first step about 10/11 months and then not until the week after she started walking in earnest.

I worry about stair climbing, we need the stair gates on asap. She’s so different to her sister I don’t know what to expect.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
TF has started to stand by herself. Nursery say she’s tried a couple of steps when she thinks no one is watching. She stood next to me today for a good few seconds, and bless her she’s trying so hard to stand up from sitting by herself.

5 took her first step about 10/11 months and then not until the week after she started walking in earnest.

I worry about stair climbing, we need the stair gates on asap. She’s so different to her sister I don’t know what to expect.
We’ve got really wide and awkward stairs (we still need stair gates) but he’s worked out how to get up and down now!
Although it’s his current favourite activity 🫠🫠

Reactions: 1
We’re similar here in that I think if he wanted to he could walk, he’s pretty stable but he’s so rapid at crawling that he’s just not interested!

The standing in the cot is a pain!! My middle one was so bad for it. He ended up with a side off at 13 months because he could have gone over the side. A cot for this baby would be a dream 😂 looks like we’re going straight to a bed x
Oh god really? I’m starting to think whenever she can actually walk/lift her leg up I’m gonna have to do something because she already hangs over the cot 🫠 I might explore floor beds but will see how we go when she goes into her own room. What age can they go in a bed from? She’s ten months so way too young but like your middle boy I could totally see her going into a bed of some sort not long after she’s one.

Oh god really? I’m starting to think whenever she can actually walk/lift her leg up I’m gonna have to do something because she already hangs over the cot 🫠 I might explore floor beds but will see how we go when she goes into her own room. What age can they go in a bed from? She’s ten months so way too young but like your middle boy I could totally see her going into a bed of some sort not long after she’s one.
What about some netting over the top of the cot like you get in avaries or zoo enclosures? That way she can’t climb out xx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Baby bandit is refusing to sleep and is currently laying on the sofa babbling away after a fun evening of crying, shitting and grabbing at my glasses/throat, and fighting with the strength of 100 oxes when I try to get him into anything resembling a cradled sleeping position in my arms 🥴 wish me luck!!!

Edit - naming and shaming works, he fell asleep within five minutes of me posting that 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I can’t find a definitive answer but I’ve been following a Canadian baby/gentle sleep sort of person and it seems normal over there for them to go into a floor bed quite young.
My eldest had a double bed at 15 months because he wouldn’t sleep in a cot and it was ok tbf. He had a double bed because then we could get in with him instead of him getting back in bed with us.
I think the only thing I’ve taken from a floor bed is making sure that the whole room is safe because obviously it’s so easy for them to get out x

Reactions: 3
I can’t find a definitive answer but I’ve been following a Canadian baby/gentle sleep sort of person and it seems normal over there for them to go into a floor bed quite young.
My eldest had a double bed at 15 months because he wouldn’t sleep in a cot and it was ok tbf. He had a double bed because then we could get in with him instead of him getting back in bed with us.
I think the only thing I’ve taken from a floor bed is making sure that the whole room is safe because obviously it’s so easy for them to get out x
We did a floor bed at 11 months for my eldest, a queen size but it made life so much easier. He did start sleeping better, no cot transfer and seemed to make bedtime easier as we could lie next to him or I would feed him so less work 🤣 also handy just having an extra bed as I could go in with him or him in with me then my husband could go into his room when he gets back from work, musical beds here 🤣 with baby if he doesn't take to his cot ill just go straight to a bed as well, he wakes every 2 hours co sleeping or next to me so will see what happens.

Also my eldest only ever left his bed like twice, when he wakes he just shouts for me. Its like he's been in a bed for so long there is no novelty of being able to leave? Friends who have kids the same age and are transferring from cots to beds are having lots of bed escapes.

We did a floor bed at 11 months for my eldest, a queen size but it made life so much easier. He did start sleeping better, no cot transfer and seemed to make bedtime easier as we could lie next to him or I would feed him so less work 🤣 also handy just having an extra bed as I could go in with him or him in with me then my husband could go into his room when he gets back from work, musical beds here 🤣 with baby if he doesn't take to his cot ill just go straight to a bed as well, he wakes every 2 hours co sleeping or next to me so will see what happens.

Also my eldest only ever left his bed like twice, when he wakes he just shouts for me. Its like he's been in a bed for so long there is no novelty of being able to leave? Friends who have kids the same age and are transferring from cots to beds are having lots of bed escapes.
Oh 1000000% agree. Our problem is 3rd child problems that we can only fit a single bed I his room. So if anyone is a camping guru, I’m trying to find a nice roll up bed for next to his as I know I’ll be sleeping there for a while 😅 xxxx

• Haha
Day 2 of being a new mom, now onto the night... I didn't realise mucus was a thing with babies 😅 I feel like everyday is a school day

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Here’s an interesting one for you all, and it’s probably not suited to those with newborns maybe those that are slightly older… that have started to eat foods

How do you go about setting boundaries with MIL? She’s genuinely amazing with her current grandchildren (I’m pregnant with my first) at looking after them. She has a degree in early years too so in terms of safety / care she is genuinely top class. However, she’s a feeder. All sorts. Her grandson who’s 1 honestly eats all sorts - constantly. Not like MAD unhealthy she does balance I see a lot of fruit and yoghurts etc but I do see crisps and chocolate being put into the mix. She gives him basically anything that’s out that he points at. Personally I really don’t want to go down this route, I don’t want crisps or chocolate in the daily routine. It’s just not in my plans. I feel like I’m going to find this hard to being up to her, as she’s the expert who’s had three sons and two grandsons. But I don’t want my routines being ruined, or that they go round to grandmas eating all this then come back wanting it.

One time she’d been told not to give her 5 year old grandson sugary ice lollies (something to do with the dentist) and ended up doing a few hours later. I just don’t feel happy knowing that’s probs gonna happen to me too when we leave our child there / my boyfriend takes them around without me

Here’s an interesting one for you all, and it’s probably not suited to those with newborns maybe those that are slightly older… that have started to eat foods

How do you go about setting boundaries with MIL? She’s genuinely amazing with her current grandchildren (I’m pregnant with my first) at looking after them. She has a degree in early years too so in terms of safety / care she is genuinely top class. However, she’s a feeder. All sorts. Her grandson who’s 1 honestly eats all sorts - constantly. Not like MAD unhealthy she does balance I see a lot of fruit and yoghurts etc but I do see crisps and chocolate being put into the mix. She gives him basically anything that’s out that he points at. Personally I really don’t want to go down this route, I don’t want crisps or chocolate in the daily routine. It’s just not in my plans. I feel like I’m going to find this hard to being up to her, as she’s the expert who’s had three sons and two grandsons. But I don’t want my routines being ruined, or that they go round to grandmas eating all this then come back wanting it.

One time she’d been told not to give her 5 year old grandson sugary ice lollies (something to do with the dentist) and ended up doing a few hours later. I just don’t feel happy knowing that’s probs gonna happen to me too when we leave our child there / my boyfriend takes them around without me
It depends on her personality really, I fell out with my MIL over this exact thing all because I knew their mother didn't want the child eating junk and MIL likes to make up stories that the child does be asking for food etc. Well mil offered her a marshmallow and I stupidly said oh I don't think she really wants one and all hell broke loose. Apparently child was saying she was hungry or whatever but I know myself the house is full of shite and you can't trust her.

You might be able to approach her if ages reasonable or else explain to your husband and see if he will talk to her but I think it's important to set boundaries from the beginning especially if you know they're going to be an issue. Grand parents aren't suppose to be parents

Reactions: 2
Baby fudge has just slept 6.5 hours🙌 but I’ve just checked my huckleberry app and I had put that he had a bottle at 3am with a bunch of gibberish in the notes I must’ve done it in my sleep🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Baby fudge has just slept 6.5 hours🙌 but I’ve just checked my huckleberry app and I had put that he had a bottle at 3am with a bunch of gibberish in the notes I must’ve done it in my sleep🤣
thats hilarious, but yay baby Fudge! Did you do anything differently?
Tell me your secrets.
---
We had a good night. Wood was wiiiiiide awake at 2am for his feed so ended up reading every book on the nightstand, which he LOVED. Must do that more often, as at the moment I shall rattles in his face and not much else to be honest. Bad mum incoming.

How long are all your breastfed babies sleeping? Mine did 5 hours a few nights ago and I thought we were onto a winner but he’s since went back to his usual 1/2/3 hours 🤣 he’s 11 weeks old for reference x
My mainly breastfed baby sleeps 8-12ish after a bottle of formula at 7:30-8, then at 12 I breastfeed then he’s up every 1-2 hours until morning. He’s almost 9 months

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I've let them all go for a coffee without me! Probs not the best thing to do but I'm just mega overwhelmed now and couldn't face facing them, knowing they now know I have feelings 🫠
Just to say that people knowing you have feelings isn't a bad thing, and isn't a sign of weakness - in many cases it's helpful because people can understand you better, and it also demonstrates the consequences of people's actions i.e. if they do x, it will cause you to feel y. Not a bad thing at all and helps people take responsibility for their actions and how they affect others. I hope your day got better and that you have a good day today ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
thats hilarious, but yay baby Fudge! Did you do anything differently?
Tell me your secrets.
---
We had a good night. Wood was wiiiiiide awake at 2am for his feed so ended up reading every book on the nightstand, which he LOVED. Must do that more often, as at the moment I shall rattles in his face and not much else to be honest. Bad mum incoming.
He started fussing a bit about 3am so I brought him into our bed for a cuddle and we just slept in there for a bit 🤭 I always said I wouldn’t allow the baby in the bed 😆 that’s probably when I put he had a bottle just on auto pilot!

Reactions: 2
How long are all your breastfed babies sleeping? Mine did 5 hours a few nights ago and I thought we were onto a winner but he’s since went back to his usual 1/2/3 hours 🤣 he’s 11 weeks old for reference x
8 months old here, she did 10-3 from about 8 weeks to 5 months and since then it's been every 1-2hrs 🤣 I'm strangely adapted to it now.

Edited to add, not all bf babies wake this frequently. My first was ebf and she slept through 10-6 from 6 weeks to 4 months, sleep went a bit wonky then but was still only a few wake ups a night really and sleeping through 7-7 from about 10-11 months. Every baby is different and it's nothing you're doing right or wrong x

He started fussing a bit about 3am so I brought him into our bed for a cuddle and we just slept in there for a bit 🤭 I always said I wouldn’t allow the baby in the bed 😆 that’s probably when I put he had a bottle just on auto pilot!
I said I would never Co-sleep because I was scared I would crush my baby (still am tbf and she’s 10 months) but sometimes* it’s the only way I get decent sleep. I never did it when she was very very tiny so I probably did the reverse of what you should do in terms of we do it more
now 😂

* sometimes she slaps me in the face in her sleep or gets on all fours and headbutts/tries to kiss me which is super cute but not massively at 4am.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.