New baby and post birth advice #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Aww thank you. I just don’t know what to do 😭
Could you keep up the medication (especially if it takes a good few weeks to work) but also use the gripe water to soothe her belly? Or can the two not be used together? Just seems that the medication will hopefully eventually help with the reflux and the gripe water (if it’s soothing) could relieve some of the issues caused by the medication? Sorry to hear you’re having a rough time of it and I really hope it gets better for you soon!

Reactions: 1
Could you keep up the medication (especially if it takes a good few weeks to work) but also use the gripe water to soothe her belly? Or can the two not be used together? Just seems that the medication will hopefully eventually help with the reflux and the gripe water (if it’s soothing) could relieve some of the issues caused by the medication? Sorry to hear you’re having a rough time of it and I really hope it gets better for you soon!
I’ve ended up giving her the meds because she’s been so upset and none stop crying more than usual.

I have no idea what to do for the best and no easy solution.

Thank you 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve been ill the last 2 days (finally starting to feel better now) and my boobs just feel empty. Have I stopped producing milk because I’ve been barely eating and probably not drinking enough?

As if it wasn’t bad enough that my toddler, partner and me have a sickness bug, the baby has quite a bad chest infection and conjunctivitis.. just brilliant
Probably just the tiredness and dehydration. You do not just stop producing milk, that is definitely not the case at all. Even when your breasts don’t feel full there is still plenty of milk in them, because milk is constantly being made (it’s actually made faster when your boobs feel less full! When they are full/hard/sore/uncomfortable milk production slows down). Try and spend the next few days with baby very close by, lots of skin to skin if you can, and feed as much as possible, and that should negate any temporary dip in supply from sickness. Sorry you’ve been unwell, sickness and looking after kids is just the absolute bleeping worst ❤

Great thx for the info. Good to know some else do both. Husband is using a clean finger which is working if I'm pumping and unavailable.

Day 4 when she dropped weight we decided to stop BF, I'm now pumping and using a bottle. She's had a few formula top ups too. Best decision for us as I was an emotional wreck & shes now put 5% back on in a day!!

I tried so hard to BF my son but he had heart issues & it didn't happen. In hindsight I did enjoy him going 4hrs between feeds (especially at night time!!). I love the romantic idea of BF but but sometimes the reality... anyone else honestly feel like this?

I have huge boobs and nipples that don't go inveted but flat so I'm thinking it might just not be for us...one midwife mentioned something about my 'large anatomy and her tiny mouth'🤣
I have tiny boobs so not the same problems you’ve faced, but I definitely have had the grim realities of breastfeeding and the overwhelming feelings and struggles. You’re definitely not alone with those! Pumping is a labour of love ❤

I’ve ended up giving her the meds because she’s been so upset and none stop crying more than usual.

I have no idea what to do for the best and no easy solution.

Thank you 😘
hopefully the meds give her some relief and you all get some sleep tonight.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
This is the reason I struggled with my first. I tried. But boobs are huge. But flat.
And he just couldn't latch at all.
Xx thanks for the reply

Yes me 😊 been totally fine, same with the occasional bottle of expressed milk
Amazing!! Do dummy from early on abd bottle if expressed and still latches fine? This is great.

I just don't think I have it in me to be her bippke dummy but do really wanna bf

Probably just the tiredness and dehydration. You do not just stop producing milk, that is definitely not the case at all. Even when your breasts don’t feel full there is still plenty of milk in them, because milk is constantly being made (it’s actually made faster when your boobs feel less full! When they are full/hard/sore/uncomfortable milk production slows down). Try and spend the next few days with baby very close by, lots of skin to skin if you can, and feed as much as possible, and that should negate any temporary dip in supply from sickness. Sorry you’ve been unwell, sickness and looking after kids is just the absolute bleeping worst ❤
thank you for the advice. Will definitely be making sure to feed as much as he wants, a brilliant excuse for a duvet day I think!🙌

• Heart
Do dummy from early on abd bottle if expressed and still latches fine? This is great.
Just jumping in, my baby had tongue tie and I was giving forumla top ups in a bottle and she matches perfectly now. I held off on the dummy though to try and improve her latch and she sucked a clean finger for a week or two x

Xx thanks for the reply

Amazing!! Do dummy from early on abd bottle if expressed and still latches fine? This is great.

I just don't think I have it in me to be her bippke dummy but do really wanna bf
For us yeah 😊 she also has tongue tie but it wasn't bad enough to need snipped but we've had no problems jumping between dummy, bottle and boob!

• Heart
Just jumping in, my baby had tongue tie and I was giving forumla top ups in a bottle and she matches perfectly now. I held off on the dummy though to try and improve her latch and she sucked a clean finger for a week or two x
Brilliant will.keep with the clean finger so pleased she matches now x

For us yeah 😊 she also has tongue tie but it wasn't bad enough to need snipped but we've had no problems jumping between dummy, bottle and boob!
Wow that's awesome!! From how early was this? My LG is 6 days x

I was ready to give up BF on day 4 because I was struggling with latch so much, midwives suggested expressing and topping up with formula to give me a break and so my partner could help. I asked about nipple confusion and they said it isn’t that common. We also gave her a dummy although she wasn’t actually a huge fan except in the car 🤷🏼‍♀️Gave her bottles most evenings for a week or two and by then had got a better latch so dropped them after a while.

Somehow baby slept from 10am to 7am, now I’m terrified after reading here that my period might start 😂

RE: dummy, I gave mine a dummy about 2 weeks in and it never led to any confusion. He also takes to bottles great. He’s not arsed about dummies though, and will only take it when he’s super tired.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

We gave the dummy when she was 5 days ( I was the same as you I was worried about the confusion but it was the only thing that would stop her screaming lol) and she had a bottle of expressed milk at 2 days old while we were still in the hospital!

We had our first 3 hour stretch of sleep in a month..wooohoo!

Today is my last day of maternity leave :cry: baby is off to nursery so I've booked to go and get my nails done and then look around the shops.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
We had our first 3 hour stretch of sleep in a month..wooohoo!

Today is my last day of maternity leave :cry: baby is off to nursery so I've booked to go and get my nails done and then look around the shops.

Ohh no! Have the best last day off x

• Heart
Ohh no! Have the best last day off x
Thank-you! I felt a bit guilty for not having baby with me but then thought I deserve a treat and he will hopefully be having lots of fun at nursery! I've only got 2 days of work then half term so a nice easy start back 😂

Reactions: 4
Thank-you! I felt a bit guilty for not having baby with me but then thought I deserve a treat and he will hopefully be having lots of fun at nursery! I've only got 2 days of work then half term so a nice easy start back 😂
Oh absolutely don’t feel guilty!

Thank-you! Is it bad that I'm quite looking forward to work?! A quiet house is very weird and I have a hot cup of tea! Woo! How's your little one doing?
Not bad at all! I always enjoy getting back to work 😊 getting the chance to do my job again, use more of my brain, and have some adult conversation which has nothing to do with kids (well, I’m a teacher so it is still about kids, but not mine!) and hot tea like you say! And even a chance every so often to be in a quiet room alone!

My wee man is great thanks, 6 months today! I can’t believe it!

Just had our first hour settling in session at nursery. That hour went QUICK 😂
Did it go ok?

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.