New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My 12 month old temp is showing 38.2 😩 she seems ok, gave her some calpol to take the temp down. Is 38.2 really high? As in ring the doctor bad? Google giving conflicting answers

Can you get some foil behind the radiators to reflect some heat in? Maybe a draft stopper attached to the bottom of his door so the heat can't escape under there & some thick or doubled up curtains and blinds to block any heat escaping the windows too?
We have what are supposed to be thermal curtains but I think I want to get some longer ones. The chair I sit in to feed him is next to his external wall I touched it last night and it’s freezing
I’ve not tried foil behind the radiators I’ll give it a go is it just like putting it in the oven I get scared it’ll be like putting it in the microwave and blow up 😂
I don’t shut his door properly either so I can hear him stirring but I’m going to have to start to see if that helps
I miss the summer!

We have what are supposed to be thermal curtains but I think I want to get some longer ones. The chair I sit in to feed him is next to his external wall I touched it last night and it’s freezing
I’ve not tried foil behind the radiators I’ll give it a go is it just like putting it in the oven I get scared it’ll be like putting it in the microwave and blow up 😂
I don’t shut his door properly either so I can hear him stirring but I’m going to have to start to see if that helps
I miss the summer!
Maybe for his window try a cheap blind from IKEA, so there's an extra layer there that way if it helps it may stop you forking out a fortune.
The foil works! It's perfectly safe, you can buy "radiator foil" but what you wrap sarnies up in works just as well😊

Can you get any grants for external wall insulation? I know some councils are offering grants to homeowners regardless of income to make properties more energy efficient. Worth a look in too aswell!

You can also buy a thermal paint that's supposed to help retain the temp of an external wall, but I'm not sure how good that is

Sorry for the spam 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Allergy mummys, can I have a bit of advice…
Baby had pizza last night and dads just given him some of his. I’ve noticed when he has it, he gets an itchy left eye, and his face gets a bit red and blotchy. Pretty sure this happened when I gave him a cherry tomato. The redness doesn’t last long, but I’m wondering if it’s an allergy, or irritant?

Also, unrelated, but at food times, he keeps sticking his Fingers down his throat and gagging. He made himself sick earlier. Its a new thing, so thinking he may have a sore throat and the food is hurting it a bit…

Maybe for his window try a cheap blind from IKEA, so there's an extra layer there that way if it helps it may stop you forking out a fortune.
The foil works! It's perfectly safe, you can buy "radiator foil" but what you wrap sarnies up in works just as well😊

Can you get any grants for external wall insulation? I know some councils are offering grants to homeowners regardless of income to make properties more energy efficient. Worth a look in too aswell!

You can also buy a thermal paint that's supposed to help retain the temp of an external wall, but I'm not sure how good that is

Sorry for the spam 🙈
That’s a good idea I’ll measure it up and look for a blind instead, these are all so helpful!

We have a B energy rating but I just don’t know how the house feels like it’s made of matchsticks in the winter and it’s just burning hot in the summer can’t win!
Chorley/Lancashire council probably won’t offer anything unless our speaker Lindsay can pull some strings 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Twins turn 13 months tomorrow 🥲 Can the new thread start before midnight please so I can still tick the 12 months box 😂

My 12 month old temp is showing 38.2 😩 she seems ok, gave her some calpol to take the temp down. Is 38.2 really high? As in ring the doctor bad? Google giving conflicting answers
T2 recently had a 38 temp for 24 hrs. Went down with calpol.
I think you only need to see doc or call 111 if it’s more than 48 hrs or if it doesn’t respond to calpol? (Correct me if I’m wrong). It’s hard not to worry though!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Twins are ill again too 😫 feels like we’ve had back to back colds since October 🥲
We have awful flu conjunctivitis and temp shivers I feel like all of us are poorly sending you all strength because I wish I could go to bed like KW has 🤪 us mums have to carry on don’t we x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
How do you stop coughing. I literally cannot stop coughing I feel like death.
I have been the worst mum today.
KW has really been a saint, but my god I need to stop coughing. I’m coughing until I’m gagging is horrendous 😭
To keep it on topic, little crazy cat had her first taste of take away pizza tonight. Safe to say she’s a fan 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Baby had pizza last night and dads just given him some of his. I’ve noticed when he has it, he gets an itchy left eye, and his face gets a bit red and blotchy. Pretty sure this happened when I gave him a cherry tomato. The redness doesn’t last long, but I’m wondering if it’s an allergy, or irritant?

Also, unrelated, but at food times, he keeps sticking his Fingers down his throat and gagging. He made himself sick earlier. Its a new thing, so thinking he may have a sore throat and the food is hurting it a bit…
It could just be a contact reaction, pretty common with tomato and a few other things, has he ever reacted to aubergine for example?

BabyPower has been on a higher level of cuteness today, he waved hello/bye bye for the first time and he also played peekaboo with his bib, first time him playing that himself! He also ate the most ridiculously large portion of chicken curry for dinner, this kid loves his food!

38 and above is a temperature so it's only just a temp 😊

It's supposed to be contact a doctor if it's above 40 or if they've had a temperature above 38 for 5 days. Or above 38 but it doesn't come down with calpol or ibuprofen 😊

• Heart
Im fully aware this is such a minor issue but I have a bloody puncture in my out and about tyre!!! So annoying ill have to get his old silver cross pram out for the school run tomorrow. Does anybody know if I need tobbuy a whole new tyre?

New to this thread and honestly my last resort as I have tried everywhere for advice. Can anyone in simple terms confirm if a dairy allergy is a common cause for no weight gain? My son (14 months) was 9th percentile and dropped to 0.4th. He had a bowel condition so issues were put down to that. He has now been dairy free for 3 weeks and has gained 1.5 pounds (never done this before and 3 weeks ago he weighed the same as he did at 8 month old) there is a 6 month wait for allergy testing but basically his surgeon is saying it is not a dairy issue and he needs to have dairy but dietitian and health visitor saying it is. He has all symptoms except for a rash.

I am at my wits end with everyone constantly commenting how small he is as if I cannot see with my own eyes.😩

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Mini Waka loves gagging. Constantly telling her to stop. She makes her eyes water and laughs.
sounds like an intolerance, mini Waka also goes red with her intolerant foods. Happened with strawberries and aubergines when she was small too but never developed into anything. All of mini Waka’s symptoms are skin related, nothing ever happens to her gut (apart from loads of soya and oat). Do you think it’s wheat or dairy?

It could just be a contact reaction, pretty common with tomato and a few other things, has he ever reacted to aubergine for example?

BabyPower has been on a higher level of cuteness today, he waved hello/bye bye for the first time and he also played peekaboo with his bib, first time him playing that himself! He also ate the most ridiculously large portion of chicken curry for dinner, this kid loves his food!
I don’t think he’s ever had aubergine. Unless it’s in a ready made meal. You could be right about contact reaction. I didn’t even think about that, especially as tomato is so acidic. He does actually rub his eye a lot with mash aswell. Maybe he’s just weird 😂

For everyone worried about rooms being too cool, just remember babies are better a bit on the cool side than too warm. Too warm can be a SIDS risk factor, so I’d rather always have them a bit cooler (obvs not freezing, but if hands and chest are warm, I’d say that’s fine)

Im fully aware this is such a minor issue but I have a bloody puncture in my out and about tyre!!! So annoying ill have to get his old silver cross pram out for the school run tomorrow. Does anybody know if I need tobbuy a whole new tyre?
You should be able to use a puncture repair patch on it, I would have thought?

My eldest would have had bad contact reactions to tomatoes and coleslaw. She grew out of it quickly enough

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Mini Waka loves gagging. Constantly telling her to stop. She makes her eyes water and laughs.
sounds like an intolerance, mini Waka also goes red with her intolerant foods. Happened with strawberries and aubergines when she was small too but never developed into anything. All of mini Waka’s symptoms are skin related, nothing ever happens to her gut (apart from loads of soya and oat). Do you think it’s wheat or dairy?
That’s exactly baby B. Although he’s going through that ‘everything is hilarious’ phase 🫠 I hope and pray it’s not wheat, although I wouldn’t be surprised with my coeliac. He did poo a lot yesterday after his pizza, and he pooed again today after having some of his dads. I’ll definitely have to keep my eye on him when it comes to tomatoes

• Heart
Reactions: 1
New to this thread and honestly my last resort as I have tried everywhere for advice. Can anyone in simple terms confirm if a dairy allergy is a common cause for no weight gain? My son (14 months) was 9th percentile and dropped to 0.4th. He had a bowel condition so issues were put down to that. He has now been dairy free for 3 weeks and has gained 1.5 pounds (never done this before and 3 weeks ago he weighed the same as he did at 8 month old) there is a 6 month wait for allergy testing but basically his surgeon is saying it is not a dairy issue and he needs to have dairy but dietitian and health visitor saying it is. He has all symptoms except for a rash.

I am at my wits end with everyone constantly commenting how small he is as if I cannot see with my own eyes.😩
The biggest concern dairy free is their calcium. We get this through neocate we’ve bought and petit flous (sp?) almond based yoghurts. We bought neocate ourselves as the doctors only prescribed her an amino based (cows milk) formula which I refused. Mini Waka has a dairy intolerance and about x7 other intolerances. Our dietician also gave us a sheet of hidden calcium but it seems unrealistic as she just isn’t going to get it through spinach and leafy greens. I refused an amino based formula because I knew it was right for my child. If you feel it’s right for him and you can meet his calcium needs then I’d have a chat with a dietitian so you can move forward.
If you want my to screenshot the hidden calcium sheet from my Borough let me know.
also not ideal but she’s currently drinking neocate with nesquick as my concern is the calcium and she knows neocate tastes like crap lol
Not to rile you up but why would a surgeon be advising you on your sons allergies and gut? I wouldn’t even ask a GP about nutrition as they’re just not qualified enough
Mini Waka is 15 months and has gut and reflux issues since birth but came to ahead when I took her off formula, which she always tolerated with issues

Last edited:
The biggest concern dairy free is their calcium. We get this through neocate we’ve bought and petit flous (sp?) almond based yoghurts. We bought neocate ourselves as the doctors only prescribed her an amino based (cows milk) formula which I refused. Mini Waka has a dairy intolerance and about x7 other intolerances. Our dietician also gave us a sheet of hidden calcium but it seems unrealistic as she just isn’t going to get it through spinach and leafy greens. I refused an amino based formula because I knew it was right for my child. If you feel it’s right for him and you can meet his calcium needs then I’d have a chat with a dietitian so you can move forward.
He currently has oat milk and was prescribed a calorie drink which was pure fat so made him really uncomfortable and pooing a lot so I never gave him it so from the last 3 weeks he has finally gained weight from just oat milk and his lunch and dinner.

She did say if he didn’t get on with the calorie drinks she would prescribe neocate but if he is gaining weight now she might say he is ok?

He does have the PF yoghurts and is absolutely fine with those but is really uncomfortable and diarrhoea from soy based yoghurts.

The last 3 weeks many people have noticed how much bigger he looks and I can only put that down to quitting the dairy? For reference he has to wear 3-6 month trousers for them to stay up so it is pretty bad x

With you saying he has a bowel condition has he had an op?
We've got issues here with one of ours and it's more an absorption issue as it passes through the intestines as apposed to an intolerance thanks to an operation.
I'd keep pushing your dietician and perhaps push your surgeon to explore other options if he has had surgery.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.