New baby and post birth advice #34 Just press the tummy to turn it off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wait, how long is maternity leave in the UK? I had to go back to work at 4 months, and that was already with an extra month of parental leave.
In Belgium we get 15 weeks pregnancy/maternity leave, of which you need to take at least 1 week before due date, so max 14 weeks with baby. Then there's also 4 months of parental leave which you need to take before your kid turns 8 (or 12) I believe.
So Kitten went to daycare when she was only 4 months old.

@jackolantern I'm doing okay I guess, still pretty sad and tired, but functioning 😅

We're currently on a short getaway to France, first real holiday this year. Nice to be out, but there's so many things I'd want to tell my dad about and I can't...

I also have two job interviews next week.
One is very closeby (5 mins on foot or something), but more administrative, the other is a tiny bit further (but probably still doable by bike) and more what I want to (continue) do(ing). We'll see.

@WhatABore Yay! So happy you're home! ♥♥♥ You went through so much!
Hope MrBore will pamper you a bit, cause you definitely deserve it, you're a powerhouse! 🤩

@ The person who joined the thread on the previous post, but whose name I forgot: Congrats on your baby! Enjoy the baby snuggles 🥰
We get 9months that is stat paid which is around £156.66 a week, sometimes employers will pay you a % of your salary. But you can take 12 months off the remaining 3 months are usually unpaid

Reactions: 2
I’m new here! Finally graduated from pregnancy thread where I had a great time for 40 weeks ❤ Baby slips arrived last night after a very long 2days but we are both doing fab despite it all 🫠

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I’m new here! Finally graduated from pregnancy thread where I had a great time for 40 weeks ❤ Baby slips arrived last night after a very long 2days but we are both doing fab despite it all 🫠
Congratulations and welcome ❤❤❤

Reactions: 2
Snoop, look away now…

So, after baby’s accident nearly SIX weeks ago, I got a call from the health visitor today, saying ‘as he was in hospital a couple of days ago’… WHAT?! Sorry, this is going to sound awful, but I don’t even care. What the hell are these people doing? I got the most basic call from SS 2 days after being discharged from fracture clinic (which was 3 weeks after he hurt himself) and now the most basic call from the HV. No wonder there are so many kids that get hurt badly/die in the arms of people supposed to protect them. I obviously am not concerned from the phone call, and would welcome anyone with open arms to see how my kids are at home.

It is also the first time I’ve heard from the HV since he was 8 weeks old 😠

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Snoop, look away now…

So, after baby’s accident nearly SIX weeks ago, I got a call from the health visitor today, saying ‘as he was in hospital a couple of days ago’… WHAT?! Sorry, this is going to sound awful, but I don’t even care. What the hell are these people doing? I got the most basic call from SS 2 days after being discharged from fracture clinic (which was 3 weeks after he hurt himself) and now the most basic call from the HV. No wonder there are so many kids that get hurt badly/die in the arms of people supposed to protect them. I obviously am not concerned from the phone call, and would welcome anyone with open arms to see how my kids are at home.

It is also the first time I’ve heard from the HV since he was 8 weeks old 😠
This is exactly the reason I couldn't go onto be a social worker after I studied it at uni. The profession is full of them. It's bloody awful.

Reactions: 1
i know all babies are different but how much milk should they be taking at 3 weeks old? I know this is a bit how long is a piece of string but he rarely takes more than 2,2.5oz and is every 3 hours. At night it can stretch to 4 but then I panic leaving him too long incase he gets dehydrated. Am I being ridiculous? He was born at 36 weeks so I know he isn’t super early but for all intents and purposes he is a premie

ETA he was nil by mouth for the first 4 days of his life as he was on a ventilator

i know all babies are different but how much milk should they be taking at 3 weeks old? I know this is a bit how long is a piece of string but he rarely takes more than 2,2.5oz and is every 3 hours. At night it can stretch to 4 but then I panic leaving him too long incase he gets dehydrated. Am I being ridiculous? He was born at 36 weeks so I know he isn’t super early but for all intents and purposes he is a premie

ETA he was nil by mouth for the first 4 days of his life as he was on a ventilator
1.5-3oz is the norm for a newborn, especially a preemie and baby who's had a NICU start.
The best calculation to do is 150 x their weight and it'll give you a rough idea of how much he should be taking in a day say split between 6/7 feeds depending on how often he's stretching. So for example if he was 3kg, he'd need around 450/15oz- 600ml/21oz per 24 hours. So if he took 450ml in 24hours every feed would be 75ml which is just over 2oz.
So long as he's having plenty of wet and dirty nappies it sounds like the amount he's taking us absolutely fine! Xx

ETA really impressed that I've actually remembered that from NICU given the fact I forgot to pick my child up from school today🙃

• Heart
1.5-3oz is the norm for a newborn, especially a preemie and baby who's had a NICU start.
The best calculation to do is 150 x their weight and it'll give you a rough idea of how much he should be taking in a day say split between 6/7 feeds depending on how often he's stretching. So for example if he was 3kg, he'd need around 450/15oz- 600ml/21oz per 24 hours. So if he took 450ml in 24hours every feed would be 75ml which is just over 2oz.
So long as he's having plenty of wet and dirty nappies it sounds like the amount he's taking us absolutely fine! Xx

ETA really impressed that I've actually remembered that from NICU given the fact I forgot to pick my child up from school today🙃
Wow, I feel like I've just had a science and maths lesson at once. That was amazing!!!!

I wish my brain could still function like that! I struggle even knowing my name most the time nowadays 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Wow, I feel like I've just had a science and maths lesson at once. That was amazing!!!!

I wish my brain could still function like that! I struggle even knowing my name most the time nowadays 🤣
It was drummed into us so hard in NICU I feel like it's not engraved in my brain 😂
How I've remembered it 14months on I will truly never know, and even though I know the calculation and know children can be 1) arseholes 2)take what they want when they want I still used to panic they never ate enough 😂😂

Reactions: 3
How strict are the passport office if a baby’s picture has a slight shadow under their eyes? We have no white backgrounds in the house without shadows somewhere
I think someone posted this in the thread months back. still makes me laugh

a1r8zvP_460s.jpg

Wait, how long is maternity leave in the UK? I had to go back to work at 4 months, and that was already with an extra month of parental leave.
In Belgium we get 15 weeks pregnancy/maternity leave, of which you need to take at least 1 week before due date, so max 14 weeks with baby. Then there's also 4 months of parental leave which you need to take before your kid turns 8 (or 12) I believe.
So Kitten went to daycare when she was only 4 months old.
You're legally entitled to 12 months and 2 weeks of paternity for dad. If you really want, if bio dad and your partner are different people, they can both have two weeks!
Or well actually a couple gets a choice - you can do shared parental leave and share the 54 weeks between you. Birthing parent has to have at least 2 weeks (4 in some industries) and 2 for paternity, so 50 weeks to split between you.
But you are only guaranteed some pay for 39 weeks, Statutory Maternity Pay, which works out at like 600 a month (and to even be eligible for that you need to have been working for your employer during pregnancy before a cut off - if you miss this you can only get Maternity Allowance which is even less generous).
So most people can't afford it. Lots of employers offer enhanced maternity pay as a perk (I got 13 weeks of full pay and 13 weeks of half pay+stat mat) but it's rare to have 12 months on full pay or anything close to it.

I like reading the policies haha. Mr SI got a new job today (!) so that will be a new set to go through with a highlighter and suss out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
How stinking cute is it when toddlers/any older siblings are lovely towards the baby??

Earlier I'd put the baby in the travel cot we keep in the dining room as like a playpen so I could cook but he doesn't like it so he was starting to cry and I was just about to take him out and try to do it while also preventing him from hurting himself in a million different ways when the toddler said "can you put me in there too?" which she's never asked before so I lifted her in and she sat and played with him and kept him happy!

Also yesterday my husband was mucking around pretending to be a monster and said "I'll just eat this baby I found!" and she yelled "No monster, I won't let you eat him, that's my brother!" which was adorable.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
How stinking cute is it when toddlers/any older siblings are lovely towards the baby??

Earlier I'd put the baby in the travel cot we keep in the dining room as like a playpen so I could cook but he doesn't like it so he was starting to cry and I was just about to take him out and try to do it while also preventing him from hurting himself in a million different ways when the toddler said "can you put me in there too?" which she's never asked before so I lifted her in and she sat and played with him and kept him happy!

Also yesterday my husband was mucking around pretending to be a monster and said "I'll just eat this baby I found!" and she yelled "No monster, I won't let you eat him, that's my brother!" which was adorable.
Its the best, best thing I ever did having multiple children!! Had to take my 3yr old to Arnies injections when he was 4 months and my 3yr old was like "doc doc careful of my baby" it melts me 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12

The twins are absolutely obsessed with the 9yo, they cry if he leaves the room.
I loooove it, there's a cloud of smoke behind me as I go to wee in peace 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Boy mamas - is it weird that Baby Cupcake giggles whenever I clean his willy during nappy changes?! Please feel free to tell me if he’s a weirdo, I can take it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Boy mamas - is it weird that Baby Cupcake giggles whenever I clean his willy during nappy changes?! Please feel free to tell me if he’s a weirdo, I can take it 😂
Totally normal 😂 my 3yo is permanently attached to his, its a real issue 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Baby’s favourite song is ‘row your boat’ when he sits on your lap, he holds your thumbs and starts rocking. He is so close to screaming when we get to the crocodile bit, and I KNOW I’m gonna cry 😂
Quoting my own post, but this happened today, and I definitely got way too over excited 😂 he also tries to roar like a lion. I can’t cope with him. He’s too much 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 10

You are a life saver thanks so much xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Trying to keep up 😩

Husband should I finally be back on Sunday and I’m starting back to work on Monday, not full time yet but a good balance before lectures start on the 14th. I’m having mixed feelings.

May be a niche question, but does anyone else get dreams like this? Each night I get maybe 2-4 dreams where I have terrible anxiety because I’ve lost the baby or mostly forgotten the baby. Things like I’ve gone to the supermarket but left the baby at home only to realize once I’m at the supermarket that I a) have a baby and b) forgot her at home. It’s always the same — I forgot the baby somewhere or left her at home or I forgot I had a baby or I’ve lost her. Every single night. Multiple times. Not sure what to think / do about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.