New baby and post birth advice #29 If you burn your butt, you have to sit on the blisters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone a teacher or work in a school who didn’t go back to their previous job after maternity, either went straight into a new job or went back for the required amount of time to not pay back money before switching to a new job?
I did with my first. However, I wasn't getting any more than the standard amount so I didn't have anything anything to pay back 😊
I had a week gap and then went into a new job

Reactions: 2
Anyone a teacher or work in a school who didn’t go back to their previous job after maternity, either went straight into a new job or went back for the required amount of time to not pay back money before switching to a new job?
Quite a few have been in permanent posts and done this. I’ve always been in temporary posts, so never gone back to the same school after maternity, and I’ve never had to pay anything back.

Reactions: 1
What you’ve written is exactly how I’ve been feeling, just pure dread that for 2 naps and 1 bedtime a day we’d have god knows how long of crying and screaming beforehand. Even planning stuff day to day stresses me out because the whole time I’m thinking about will she nap/will she be overtired/will she go to bed at a normal time. I’m glad dropping to one nap helped you, praying it’s the same for us! Feeling quietly confident after reading everyone else’s experiences x
Honestly it’s awful isn’t it! I actually found it harder than the newborn colicky days 🤯 although she does sleep better now I still have to feed her to sleep or if that doesn’t work I take her out in the car and she falls asleep within 2 minutes! Luckily I can transfer her from the car to her cot without her waking. I told my friend that I sometimes take her in the car so she falls asleep and she looked at me like I was nuts, but I refuse to spend hours fighting bedtime and having no time to myself on an evening so I go for the easy option! I can only dream of having a child who goes in their cot awake and falls asleep on their own, but we can’t have it all right? 😆 Let us know how you get on!

• Heart
Yes I resigned and got a new job in a different borough. If you get a new job in the same borough you won’t need to repay. If you move boroughs or resign like I did then it’s the head’s discretion. I’m not sure whether that means you can work in a different post in the same borough or the post must be teaching

Last edited:
Thanks @WhatABore @Definitelyme

@wakametango 2.0 that’s what I read but to be honest I want to get out of teaching completely! I’ll have to go back part time for the amount of time I have to and then ideally get another job doing something different part time.. no idea what though, my degree is a specific teaching one. Wonder if anyone has got out of teaching and schools to a completely different job?

@wakametango 2.0 that’s what I read but to be honest I want to get out of teaching completely! I’ll have to go back part time for the amount of time I have to and then ideally get another job doing something different part time.. no idea what though, my degree is a specific teaching one. Wonder if anyone has got out of teaching and schools to a completely different job?
I believe there is a Facebook group called “beyond the classroom” which is for teachers looking to transfer to another sector, and those who have sharing their wisdom.
Not sure if this is any use in your situation, but I just do sub teaching to work it round the kids. It means I can work when I like, earn decent money (compared to other part times roles I would be qualified for) and have none of the stresses of full time teaching like planning, assessment etc. It isn’t perfect (generally treated like a second class citizen by other teachers, and kids!) but it works really well round my family

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I feel the same, so over it but the holidays will now be fab for childcare. I follow a group on Facebook called exit the classroom, alternative careers are discussed daily, it’s a good group

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ladies what do you buy for a first birthday please don’t say a trike I paid a small fortune for a pram not about to buy a trike it’s not for me also omfg as if our babies will be one soon 🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹 I keep crying about it she is also very whingey today x

• Haha
Ladies what do you buy for a first birthday please don’t say a trike I paid a small fortune for a pram not about to buy a trike it’s not for me also omfg as if our babies will be one soon 🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹 I keep crying about it she is also very whingey today x
I’m going to buy her a busy board or one of those curved balancing wooden board things as she is like spider girl

I know it’s easier said than done, but don’t buy much. 1st and 2nd birthdays (especially 1st child!) are the ones where you can get away with not having to buy much. I tried this at Christmas, but my oldest boy noticed. Had to get Mr B to rush out Christmas Eve to pick the baby up something 🙈
Have you got a little ball pool? They are always a winner!

Reactions: 5
Toddler Runner had a cute teepee for her first birthday

• Heart
Wobbel board, rainbow rocker or pickler triangle. We have this:
https://katehaa.myshopify.com/colle...er-with-a-ramp-for-children-in-rainbow-colors which middle sailor got his first birthday from extended family.

Gets so much use indoors and out, in fact my older 2 are making a den with it now.

We are looking to get baby sailor this for his 1st birthday to extend the play:

Other than that;
- money for farm/zoo/wildlife park memberships if that’s your jam
- clothes
- sensory toys/materials/tuff tray
- busy boards
- duplo
- grimms toys like the rainbow, blocks etc if you’re looking to invest in a really solid long-term toy that will be played with for years
- teepee

Wobbel board, rainbow rocker or pickler triangle. We have this:
https://katehaa.myshopify.com/colle...er-with-a-ramp-for-children-in-rainbow-colors which middle sailor got his first birthday from extended family.

Gets so much use indoors and out, in fact my older 2 are making a den with it now.

We are looking to get baby sailor this for his 1st birthday to extend the play:

Other than that;
- money for farm/zoo/wildlife park memberships if that’s your jam
- clothes
- sensory toys/materials/tuff tray
- busy boards
- duplo
- grimms toys like the rainbow, blocks etc if you’re looking to invest in a really solid long-term toy that will be played with for years
- teepee
All good ideas however what is a wobble board? It looks like something even I would Injure myself on haha the only things I came up with were clothes, let her pick a new jellycat because she loves cuddling them this weird doll she carries around at nursery ( it’s horrible baby born fairy) my mum and dad have got her a cake smash photoshoot and I asked for Clark’s vouchers from her great grandad so when she can walk we can go and buy some ugly but good for your feet shoes 🙏🏼 I am now having a flashback to going to get school shoes I was always the one who looked like they had safety shoes on because they were from startrite 😂😂 xx

Toddler Runner had a cute teepee for her first birthday
This sounds like something she would like to be fair x

• Haha
All good ideas however what is a wobble board? It looks like something even I would Injure myself on haha the only things I came up with were clothes, let her pick a new jellycat because she loves cuddling them this weird doll she carries around at nursery ( it’s horrible baby born fairy) my mum and dad have got her a cake smash photoshoot and I asked for Clark’s vouchers from her great grandad so when she can walk we can go and buy some ugly but good for your feet shoes 🙏🏼 I am now having a flashback to going to get school shoes I was always the one who looked like they had safety shoes on because they were from startrite 😂😂 xx

we have this board from Etsy, it gets used daily by the 1yo & my 5yo.

Attachments

We have napped for the grand total of one hour and 48 minutes today.
Will they go to bed?
No!
My head is banging from the constant whinging because they are exhausted 🥱

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6

Don’t get things specifically for her now, get things she’ll use over the next year would be my advice, otherwise she’ll outgrow them quickly.
Both my girls got a rag doll for their first birthday, my eldest is 9 and still plays with hers, plus they are nicer than plastic dolls.
A ride on of some sort for indoors or outdoors.
Books
Craft stuff (crayons, paint sticks, play dough are all good for younger toddlers)
Both my girls also have a set of Russian dolls they love

ETA: kids are bastards though and will always choose the ugliest, creepiest baby doll as their big love rather than anything nice 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
ETA: kids are bastards though and will always choose the ugliest, creepiest baby doll as their big love rather than anything nice 🤣
I think dolls get uglier with love too. Like Toddler Runner loves Baby Annabell, who looked fine initially. But she’s been loved so much that the ink has rubbed off her features and now she looks horrific

Baby Annabell: how she started vs how she looks now…
72E3E2CE-45CB-40E5-B224-A1D0CFA65F91.jpeg
1FDDA70A-ABF5-468F-8FB2-468225182EC2.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
I think dolls get uglier with love too. Like Toddler Runner loves Baby Annabell, who looked fine initially. But she’s been loved so much that the ink has rubbed off her features and now she looks horrific

Baby Annabell: how she started vs how she looks now… View attachment 1506847View attachment 1506848
Flip, she’s had a hard paper round! (Is that a saying everywhere?) That is going to give me nightmares tonight 🤣

We also find Baby Annabelle so heavy, the wee ones struggle to carry her about!
All our dolls are naked all the time 😬

We got one of these baby Annabelle "my first doll" for Everleigh as she loves baby dolls. Mainly to poke their eyes and lick their heads but 🤷🏻‍♀️
It had a soft body.

I really want to get her a dinkum doll but not sure I can justify the price 😂

Attachments

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.