New baby and post birth advice #29 If you burn your butt, you have to sit on the blisters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They just don’t think sometimes. I nipped out at 3pm, our kids always have a snack around 3-3.30pm. I get back at 4 and everyone is crying and miserable. “Did you do their snack?” “Oh. No.”
No wonder they are all raging, pure starving. So it’s 4pm but we have dinner at about 5 each day so he gives them a teeny snack, then complains when they want more because they are so hungry 🤦🏻‍♀️ Haven’t a clue sometimes.
My husband always needs reminding to give the toddler a snack. She has a snack around 10-10:30 and one around 3:30 pretty much without fail and yet I'm not sure he's ever remembered so if I'm not around at the right time we end up with a ball of hangry rage too! Why do they have such a mental block with it?

Reactions: 3
We got one of these because Everleigh couldn't work out how to drink anything else 😂 she's only just figured out straws. Couldn't work out the 360 cups either.
But these and the Mam versions so could drink from because the teet is the same texture as a bottle. And it comes out fast enough for her as she loves to guzzle water 😂
Honest to god, I’m at a loss with it all 😂 I think we have the MAM version but I think she’s totally off teets in general. I’m slightly debating taking nail scissors and widening a hole on one of her hard plastic sippy cups at this rate. We have so many different brands and she just loves the doidy, but she just cannot do it without it going everywhere and I’m also wondering what the hell we are going to do when we are out and about now🙄

I’ll have a look into the nuby as I know we haven’t tried that one, thanks lovely!!! I can’t stop laughing how difficult using a straw is 😂

Reactions: 1
Honest to god, I’m at a loss with it all 😂 I think we have the MAM version but I think she’s totally off teets in general. I’m slightly debating taking nail scissors and widening a hole on one of her hard plastic sippy cups at this rate. We have so many different brands and she just loves the doidy, but she just cannot do it without it going everywhere and I’m also wondering what the hell we are going to do when we are out and about now🙄

I’ll have a look into the nuby as I know we haven’t tried that one, thanks lovely!!! I can’t stop laughing how difficult using a straw is 😂
I put a straw in her mouth and I'm just like "Come onnnnn. SUCK ITTTTTT"
😂😂

Same as any plastic spout one. She was just getting mad at it 😂 Suck the damn thing. Same as you do your normal cup 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I'm honestly going to sell my toddler on Etsy.
Today she has: ripped a chunk of my hair out, shat on the kitchen floor and now she has woken the overtired baby up just as I was getting him to sleep for the night so now he thinks he's had a lovely nap and won't go back to sleep.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
They just don’t think sometimes. I nipped out at 3pm, our kids always have a snack around 3-3.30pm. I get back at 4 and everyone is crying and miserable. “Did you do their snack?” “Oh. No.”
No wonder they are all raging, pure starving. So it’s 4pm but we have dinner at about 5 each day so he gives them a teeny snack, then complains when they want more because they are so hungry 🤦🏻‍♀️ Haven’t a clue sometimes.
Do we have the same partner🤣
Honestly sometimes I think it’s easier if I just do everything. At least at then we’d have some sort of routine. Now we had a nap 6-7pm now he thinks it’s party time

Reactions: 2
Has anyone tried the takingcarababies newborn sleep course? Little Bluebird is now really struggling to sleep / nap during the day.

She’s about to hit leap 1 so maybe that has something to do with it, but her nighttime sleep is pretty restless too. It is a bit of a heatwave here in NL so could be that as well. She has slept about 2 hours today. I think she’s suffering from gas, too, and the pediatrician said to just let her work it out naturally which, fine, but it’s interrupting her sleep.

I’m exhausted, too, & already stressing about the middle of September when I’m 100% on my own with ZERO support system here. In- laws live way too far & friends all work FT. I’m not sure how I’m going to do it for 9 weeks. I know others have, & I’ll find a way, but it’s starting to stress me out, especially if she’s still not sleeping consistently.

But she’s so little & perfect & innocent that it’s all somehow okay??
Someone I follow online did it, but then said if she had to go back in time she wouldn’t do it again. A lot of people who invest in sleep consultants/courses seem to say that.
Baby sleep is very, very fluid and changeable. They will sleep beautifully for two months, then it all goes to pot for six weeks, and can come back again, but is totally different. For newborns, their sleep needs are changing constantly, you have growth spurts and all sorts which can change their sleep, and just when you think you have it all figured out… it changes again! And that seems to be the case with anyone I have come across who has paid for sleep help as well. (Apart from the few people with unicorn babies who sleep 7-7 from 15 minutes old 🤣)

When you say she doesn’t nap, would she stay asleep in your arms/beside you/in a sling?

Reactions: 4
I put a straw in her mouth and I'm just like "Come onnnnn. SUCK ITTTTTT"
😂😂

Same as any plastic spout one. She was just getting mad at it 😂 Suck the damn thing. Same as you do your normal cup 😂
😂😂😂😂😂
I feel like we are doomed.

Might pull an @I’mThankyou_ and send a complaint email, followed by a few letters to doidy asking for a lid with a hole… as to be fair this has set me up for failure. 4 months +, my arse.

• Haha
Does anyone have any wisdom to share re babies sleeping at nursery? They are only managing to get her to take one 30 min nap per day so far. She’s only been back a couple of days so it might get better as she settles but I’m not sure…I have always fed her to sleep and I usually stay in the room so if she wakes too early I feed her back to sleep. She’s got a comforter but she doesn’t particularly care for it. I only send it with her because it will smell of home.
We’re in our second week and she was only taking 30 min naps and falling asleep in the car home. Today she did an hour and 40 this arvo so I think it’ll come they just need to get used to it. She’s knackered tho!!

So I’ve come to realise little pidge just doesn’t want her milk in a bottle anymore, she will only have it from an open cup (the whole 5oz+- she’s been on a bit of a strike) which i feel I’ve made a rod for my own back because she just cannot hold it to save her life and when I do give it her she shakes it,.. Is this the end of the bottles? Giving a bottle is just a joke, it takes too long and she just rolls away and just basically protests to having it.
Is there anything similar to an open cup which is more manageable, like a small free flowing spout? I did buy one but it comes out in small bits and it’s just not good… straws are a no go for her 😂 she just doesn’t understand it. I’ve tried the munchkin 360 too and again, she doesn’t understand it! Poor thing 😂 I feel a bit fucked here 😣
we’ve got a tumtum. It’s got a straw that when you remove becomes a little hole they can sip out of them you can eventually take the lid off so it’s an open cup. I’m not sure if I’ve explained it well but baby loves it. It does still leak but it’s far better than an open cup

• Heart
we’ve got a tumtum. It’s got a straw that when you remove becomes a little hole they can sip out of them you can eventually take the lid off so it’s an open cup. I’m not sure if I’ve explained it well but baby loves it. It does still leak but it’s far better than an open cup

Oh this looks really promising!!!! Thank you so much!!
Might as well open a sippy cup shop at this rate 😂

• Haha
I feel like I’ve been on the edge of tears nearly all day after receiving a WhatsApp message that begins ‘here’s some unsolicited advice…’ from someone in my antenatal class (ie another first time mum). I had never before felt like I was doing a tit job as baby author seems a pretty happy and contented little chap on the whole, and I’m a pretty strong believer in all babies are their own selves so what works for one won’t work for another, but now I’ve completely lost all my confidence.

Sorry I just had to write down how I’m feeling somewhere. Mr Authors response is to just not reply, but I was meant to see this woman tomorrow and at random coffee meet-ups so our paths will cross again. I hate that her stupid message has got to me so much.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
I can’t summon the energy to go back and quote whoever it was that started the sippy cup chat. But I’ve found babies need to be ‘taught’ how to use a 360. If you stick your little finger under the lip of the silicone bit it becomes like a normal free flowing cup. So do that, then slowly remove your finger once they’ve started drinking and then they seem to get it?!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I feel like I’ve been on the edge of tears nearly all day after receiving a WhatsApp message that begins ‘here’s some unsolicited advice…’ from someone in my antenatal class (ie another first time mum). I had never before felt like I was doing a tit job as baby author seems a pretty happy and contented little chap on the whole, and I’m a pretty strong believer in all babies are their own selves so what works for one won’t work for another, but now I’ve completely lost all my confidence.

Sorry I just had to write down how I’m feeling somewhere. Mr Authors response is to just not reply, but I was meant to see this woman tomorrow and at random coffee meet-ups so our paths will cross again. I hate that her stupid message has got to me so much.
What the actual duck?! Are there really people who love themselves that much that they will do this?!

I think when your paths do cross a dirty nappy might need to find it's way into her bag.

Honestly, what an utter mouth breather.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I feel like I’ve been on the edge of tears nearly all day after receiving a WhatsApp message that begins ‘here’s some unsolicited advice…’ from someone in my antenatal class (ie another first time mum). I had never before felt like I was doing a tit job as baby author seems a pretty happy and contented little chap on the whole, and I’m a pretty strong believer in all babies are there own selves so what works for one won’t work for another, but now I’ve completely lost all my confidence.

Oh duck her, don’t even meet her and if you do cross paths, chin up and walk past… honestly I’m proper on one after Doidy pissing me off and then I have in laws bleeping drama…
What was her unsolicited advice about? Don’t answer it though if you don’t feel comfortable.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Someone I follow online did it, but then said if she had to go back in time she wouldn’t do it again. A lot of people who invest in sleep consultants/courses seem to say that.
Baby sleep is very, very fluid and changeable. They will sleep beautifully for two months, then it all goes to pot for six weeks, and can come back again, but is totally different. For newborns, their sleep needs are changing constantly, you have growth spurts and all sorts which can change their sleep, and just when you think you have it all figured out… it changes again! And that seems to be the case with anyone I have come across who has paid for sleep help as well. (Apart from the few people with unicorn babies who sleep 7-7 from 15 minutes old 🤣)

When you say she doesn’t nap, would she stay asleep in your arms/beside you/in a sling?
You’ve confirmed my suspicions. And everything I’ve read about newborn sleep is that it’s changeable, and that’s what we’ve experienced too. Think I’ll pass and read elsewhere online / trust some of my instincts

She slept a bit on me today and then we moved her to her box (downstairs crib) and she was fine for an hour or so and then I think gas pains started and she woke up. She was also eating and hungry a lot. She ate and then fell asleep for a bit again but woke up. Then I think she just got way too overtired.

She clearly wanted breast and then when presented pushed away from it and cried but with her mouth open like she was going to latch. Couldn’t get her to latch and she just got way more frustrated so we gave her some formula and that helped satiate her but not settle her like it hadls in the past, I think also during the heatwave.

We’ve also just switched up the sound on the sound machine and that seems to have done the trick. I watched her eyes close in seconds. Let’s see how this works. I’m more relaxed with this music on than the sound of the womb which really started to grate on me.

I love that she’s alert and awake and active. but she also needs to sleep for her development.

• Heart

Wtf - what kind of a knob does that! If you’re happy and baby is happy why feel the need to comment 😡

speculate that there is some jealousy/inadequacy going on her part maybe?!

+1 recommendation for this cup and the tippy up version too!

• Heart

I wish people would just butt out. If you haven’t asked for advice then, surprise, you don’t need it nor want it. I’m sorry she made you feel that way. You’re completely right that every baby is different, just ask any mum of more than one baby. You can’t change who they are or when they do/learn things. Don’t let her “advice” make you feel like you’re doing anything wrong or knock your confidence - you know your baby best

ETA: please don’t meet her tomorrow, she doesn’t deserve your time. She can stick her “unsolicited advice” up her arse

• Heart
Reactions: 6

She can get in the diaper bin. You’re doing amazing

She sounds like the type that won’t handle a mature response from you and will get all defensive and throw it back on you making you see worse so just leave her on read. That’ll probably get under her skin more than anything. Or do a pass agg 👍

• Heart
Oh duck her, don’t even meet her and if you do cross paths, chin up and walk past… honestly I’m proper on one after Doidy pissing me off and then I have in laws bleeping drama…
What was her unsolicited advice about? Don’t answer it though if you don’t feel comfortable.
It was about napping- Baby Author is not the biggest fan so naps tend to be v.short and majority of the time on me. But on the flip side he sleeps well at night so whilst it would be nice to have some time to myself during the day, and not always connected to a baby, he’s not going to nap forever and his night sleep is good so I haven’t been fussed about trying to nap train. Obviously this approach isn’t for everyone but it seems to work for us.

This other lady’s approach is much stricter on wake windows and as soon as 90min (for example has passed) she immediately puts the baby down for naps In the pram/crib with blackout/white noise machine etc. And that’s great for her if that works for her and her baby.

I’m just absolutely shaken that she felt the need to comment, and was self aware enough to realise it was unsolicited advice but ploughed ahead with it anyway.

Wtf - what kind of a knob does that! If you’re happy and baby is happy why feel the need to comment 😡

speculate that there is some jealousy/inadequacy going on her part maybe?!
This is what Mr Author thinks too.

Im currently scrolling through photos of baby author trying to reassure myself that I have a happy and healthy baby and that I’m not doing anything wrong. But have to admit I’m beginning to get increasingly angry at the woman.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Re: the 360, I found I had to use my finger to break the seal at first until she understood that there was water underneath.

Having a really crappy week, MH wise. I’ve cried most evenings, barely eating or sleeping. Feel like I’m hanging on by a thread. I’m just so drained.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.