New baby and post birth advice #28 being a mum is the best present I could have ever wished for

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I look forward to alone time once the babies are in bed. Then spend said alone time looking at photos and videos of them 🙃 why am I like this.

I’ve also had dancing veg funky melody in my head all evening

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I've just been doing exactly the same @Dipdab 🙈

I'm feeling really resentful of my parents tonight. They insisted on visiting when baby was 3 days old even though I was recovering from a C-section. I asked them to consider waiting til the following weekend but they got upset. So they only saw us for maybe 4 hours as it was all just too much. They live 400 miles away so it was a long way for them to come for so little time.

That was 8 weeks ago. Not seen them since. Mum has gone on and on about missing him, crying on the phone etc. She had 2 weeks of annual leave left to take but they've decided to have their 3rd holiday abroad this year, rather than coming to see their grandson. I won't hear from her for days and then I'll get a message demanding a "live" photo. 🙄 Tonight she randomly asked if she could have a photo of him to post on her Facebook (I suppose at least she asks first...). When they came it was like a bloody press conference, she was uploading to her social media all day. Now I've got my dad messaging me asking if he's sleeping through the night yet?! 🤦🏻‍♀️ And saying how they didn't have bath seats in their day and they "only" dropped me under the water once.

They are such a weird mix of over-bearing and not giving a tit and it's really getting to me. I had the most wonderful relationship with my grandparents growing up and I just know it's not going to be the same for him. Sorry, just needed to write all of that down!

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 22

I'm feeling really resentful of my parents tonight. They insisted on visiting when baby was 3 days old even though I was recovering from a C-section. I asked them to consider waiting til the following weekend but they got upset. So they only saw us for maybe 4 hours as it was all just too much. They live 400 miles away so it was a long way for them to come for so little time.

That was 8 weeks ago. Not seen them since. Mum has gone on and on about missing him, crying on the phone etc. She had 2 weeks of annual leave left to take but they've decided to have their 3rd holiday abroad this year, rather than coming to see their grandson. I won't hear from her for days and then I'll get a message demanding a "live" photo. 🙄 Tonight she randomly asked if she could have a photo of him to post on her Facebook (I suppose at least she asks first...). When they came it was like a bloody press conference, she was uploading to her social media all day. Now I've got my dad messaging me asking if he's sleeping through the night yet?! 🤦🏻‍♀️ And saying how they didn't have bath seats in their day and they "only" dropped me under the water once.

They are such a weird mix of over-bearing and not giving a tit and it's really getting to me. I had the most wonderful relationship with my grandparents growing up and I just know it's not going to be the same for him. Sorry, just needed to write all of that down!
That sounds tit, I’m sorry. You have my sympathy, my kids also didn’t exactly win the grandparent lottery so I know how frustrating it is

• Heart
Reactions: 2
That sounds tit, I’m sorry. You have my sympathy, my kids also didn’t exactly win the grandparent lottery so I know how frustrating it is
Thanks lovely, you have mine too. Isn't it so disappointing. I'm certain my mum has narcissistic traits. It's all about how she's a grandma now, the fun showy things, not the actual realities of having a grandchild.

Parents are weird! My dad buggered off to Spain and remarried and has no intention of coming over to meet baby Waka. I think our generation will be a lot more understanding and open when older, they haven’t really managed to roll with the times

• Heart
Reactions: 7

So basically she wants a grandchild when it suits her, but has no interest in actually being any help or support? Unbelievable behaviour - or would be if I didn’t see it cropping up so often with so many of our lovely mums. You deserve better, and baby C deserves better too. I’m sorry that it’s not what you’d want for your family ❤ Are your in laws any better?

This chat of not ideal grandparents makes me think we haven’t heard from @moimoi in ages. Hope all is well 👋🏻

• Heart
@Definitelyme have been meaning to reply to your check in for a couple of days, sorry! Thank you for thinking of me. I am here just lurking mainly, not much to contribute to be honest. Lots going on generally, much overwhelm from all directions but all is ok. Hope you and your brood are all good xx

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Parents are weird! My dad buggered off to Spain and remarried and has no intention of coming over to meet baby Waka. I think our generation will be a lot more understanding and open when older, they haven’t really managed to roll with the times
What the hell... Yes, I hope we will be. Heaven knows we're already having to break so many patterns of damaging behaviour.

Reactions: 5
Once, just once I'd love to fall asleep as quickly as Mr TY does.
But nope here I am once again settling the babies whilst he snores 🙄
He walked through the door at half 9 tonight, he knows I don't get a second to myself.
I could stab him this week.

• Heart

I don’t get why parents/grandparents feel the need to almost brag about stuff like that, mine do it and it drives me insane. Yes great that you bathed me in a washing up bowl, but I really like the nice non slip baby bath thanks 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Oh I posted the other day about the Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read, my mum came round and saw it and thought it was hilarious, took a photo of it to ‘send to all her friends’ 🙄 she genuinely believes she was the most perfect parent. Sorry for trying to do better for my child!

• Heart
Back again, when I thought things were safe… they weren’t haha! However, we are all recovered after 2 trips to the doctors and a projectile vomit in a public bleeping pool which everyone had to evacuate and ruin all the kids fun, a new high score for mummy!

breaking news though- we had our first solid tit today and I celebrated by eating 20 mini sainsburys cookies🥳

I can’t believe I have 23 pages to read, duck sake!

Thanks lovely, you have mine too. Isn't it so disappointing. I'm certain my mum has narcissistic traits. It's all about how she's a grandma now, the fun showy things, not the actual realities of having a grandchild.
I’m also in the tit grandparent club. My in-laws live 10 minutes away, they don’t work and I can count on one hand the number of times they’ve seen little pidge (I went to them too). I’ve fucked them off now, they’re full of drama, total narcs and I don’t have time for them anymore. They’re missing out on a fantastic little girl!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
So basically she wants a grandchild when it suits her, but has no interest in actually being any help or support? Unbelievable behaviour - or would be if I didn’t see it cropping up so often with so many of our lovely mums. You deserve better, and baby C deserves better too. I’m sorry that it’s not what you’d want for your family ❤ Are your in laws any better?

This chat of not ideal grandparents makes me think we haven’t heard from @moimoi in ages. Hope all is well 👋🏻
Aw hey! Thanks for thinking of me. 🥺 I’m still around lurking.

Grandparents are still tit at 14 months. Still have a grandma (MIL) and grandad (my dad) who haven’t met him!!! My mum and my FIL have also still only met him once during fleeting visits for a few hours.

I actually unfriended my MIL on Facebook in a fit of rage the other week as she was posting photos on her hols, I was like, how can you go away yet not make time to visit your grandchild. Gonna be awkward when she realises. 🤣 But duck it, she didn’t even send him a birthday card.

Not gonna lie but I do get a bit jealous when I see other families with hands on grandparents. My husband and I are definitely feeling a bit burnt out, as much as he won’t admit it. I would love a bit of relief and support!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Aw hey! Thanks for thinking of me. 🥺 I’m still around lurking.

Grandparents are still tit at 14 months. Still have a grandma (MIL) and grandad (my dad) who haven’t met him!!! My mum and my FIL have also still only met him once during fleeting visits for a few hours.

I actually unfriended my MIL on Facebook in a fit of rage the other week as she was posting photos on her hols, I was like, how can you go away yet not make time to visit your grandchild. Gonna be awkward when she realises. 🤣 But duck it, she didn’t even send him a birthday card.

Not gonna lie but I do get a bit jealous when I see other families with hands on grandparents. My husband and I are definitely feeling a bit burnt out, as much as he won’t admit it. I would love a bit of relief and support!
Lovely to hear from you 😊 hope you and baby (toddler?!) moimoi are doing ok?
Ack she didn’t even send him a card? That is a low bar she has failed at, isn’t it?
Sorry you guys still don’t have any support at all, no wonder you feel burnt out ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve got a next to me crib I keep my 3 week d son in on a night, we usually keep him in Moses basket for downstairs

He sleeps fine in the crib but he tends to roll on his side alllll the time, I turn him on his back when I’m awake and notice but obviously during the night when we’re both asleep he turns back. I’ve even found he’s done a complete turn and he’s done like a 90 degree angle 📐 🤦🏼‍♀️

I’m absolutely scared when he does this as I know it can cause SIDS or so they say!

Does anyone have any advice?? Or is he fine as long as I’m putting him down on his back and he rolls himself? He’s not only a month yet so I. Didn’t know if just to stick with Moses basket for day and night for now ?? Ant advice would be useful!

Lovely to hear from you 😊 hope you and baby (toddler?!) moimoi are doing ok?
Ack she didn’t even send him a card? That is a low bar she has failed at, isn’t it?
Sorry you guys still don’t have any support at all, no wonder you feel burnt out ❤
What was even more hilarious was that she posted a Facebook status at 9pm on his birthday (after clearly just remembering!) wishing him happy birthday (because a 1 year old will truly appreciate that) BUT SPELT HIS NAME WRONG.

I just get upset because I think how can any one of his grandparents actually love them. They can’t. They’ve never met him. Or met him for 4 hours at 7 months old.

Other than that, toddler (!) moimoi is absolutely thriving and driving me mad running and crashing into everything. We’ve got our first proper scraped knee! We’ve been thinking about maybe putting him into nursery (£95 per day… London) for a couple days a week just to have bit of a break but I feel bad especially as I’m not working atm. We also need to be out of our place next month but dont have anywhere yet so trying not to break down 🙃 I hope you and your brood (and everyone else!) are all ok.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m also in the tit grandparent club. My in-laws live 10 minutes away, they don’t work and I can count on one hand the number of times they’ve seen little pidge (I went to them too). I’ve fucked them off now, they’re full of drama, total narcs and I don’t have time for them anymore. They’re missing out on a fantastic little girl!
tit Gparent club here too!!
My mum adores my eldest. We lived with her for the first year of her life and would have her all the time. Second she looked after 1 day a week while I worked. Third was 7months when lock down hit. Moaned she never saw him(?) and when we spent time with MIL after FIL died (?!) barely spent time with number 4, but might take number 3 out of a couple of hours once a week. Has never had 3 or 4 over night
I don’t get it. My friends parents are always willing to look after their kids. My mum/sister never offer to have them, and are ALWAYS ‘busy’ if I ask them to have the kids.
MIL is great. Will come and stay if we go out. My dad is tit, but he is not great with kids, so no one ever bothers asking him
Wish I had the help I had 10 years ago. They only live minutes away too 😔
My sisters go to is ‘you decided to have kids’ YES, I did, but would you speak about your BF niece/nephews like you speak about yours? NO!!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
This is my mum to a T. She loves the fact she’s got a grandson she can brag about on Facebook and she’s physically pushed me out of the way to push my pram - even though it’s like a weapon when she does. But when it comes down to actual changing nappies or soothing him when he cries or playing with him she can’t or won’t do it.

That’s the reason I don’t trust leaving her alone with him still, yet my MIL is so good with him I’d happily leave him with her for hours

• Heart
Not as bad as some of you guys (there's some shocking behaviour mentioned on here!) but my parents are also tit grandparents.
They live a long way away and are obviously jealous of the fact that we live close to my in-laws but like put some effort in then?!
They visit maybe twice a year, and only in certain months of the year so we go for like at least 7-8 months without seeing them because of this. When they do visit they won't take the toddler or so anything with her without us being in the same room so they're no help. Like just play with her in the garden or walk along the street, it's not hard!

They are both retired and yet can't find time for a video call at a time that works for us, the only times they suggest are midday or 6-7pm which is lunchtime and dinnertime into bedtime and they're totally inflexible on that despite having nothing to do with their time.

Despite me telling them about a million times they don't change their top between smoking and trying to hold the baby so I have to take him off them and they get funny about it.

And my mum does the same as above crying down the phone that she never sees them and moaning if I haven't sent her any pictures for a few days.

Wow that was a rant! Doesn't help that I've had no sleep yet as for some reason baby is super unsettled and KW is being as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.