New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Baby is 3 days old and just won’t be put down in his crib at night. He settles on us and is asleep and then it doesn’t matter if we swaddle, use white noise etc, he wakes instantly and cries.

I know he is tiny but I’m so worried about falling asleep holding him. I’m guessing all this is normal but wow, it’s exhausting
It’s so hard, but completely normal! Are you and your partner able to take shifts holding him so the other can get some sleep? Do you swaddle with a premade swaddle bag or a blanket? I think I mentioned earlier on the thread that mine hates the swaddle sacks but settles better swaddled in a blanket/muslin. There’s also lots of tips about warming the crib before you put him in it or putting in a muslin that smells of you to comfort him - might be worth a go. It’s so hard and so exhausting, but also so normal and it does get easier with time ❤
Ps congratulations!!

Reactions: 3
Baby is 3 days old and just won’t be put down in his crib at night. He settles on us and is asleep and then it doesn’t matter if we swaddle, use white noise etc, he wakes instantly and cries.

I know he is tiny but I’m so worried about falling asleep holding him. I’m guessing all this is normal but wow, it’s exhausting
It is so hard!
Me and my partner basically took shifts. He's a night shift worker anyway so used to staying up late so he stayed up during the night for 4 hours or so so I could at least get some sleep, and then if take over and he'd sleep for 3/4 hours.
That was our routine for the whole of his paternity.

It was the only way to keep us sane 😂

Reactions: 1
Oh @Ilando sending you lots of love. The first days (weeks, months!) are so hard when you’re absolutely knackered. Try and steal some sleep wherever you can, don’t feel you have to stay awake during the day, you’ve got to do whatever you need to get through. It is normal, and it does get better, but it is so hard even with that knowledge x

Reactions: 2
Unsure who coined the phrase “witching hour” - today has been a witching day. Much like “morning” sickness, the name is very misleading 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
The only positive of last night's cluster feeding was she slept for longer....so guess who got a full 5 unbroken hours 🙌🙌🙌

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Chickenandgravy oh I hope you get another good sleep tonight (without the trade off of cluster feeds would be ideal!!)

@LilyRose1234 how are you getting on with feeding ? Is she making any progress with feeding from both sides?
Yes she is 😁 I have just been a little more persistent and rather than putting her straight back in her next to me after burping her if she refuses, I’ve left it another 5/10 minutes and she mostly then will have some from the other boob. She’s been sleeping better since we’ve done this and my boobs aren’t as sore, so a win win! Thank you for checking in! 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes she is 😁 I have just been a little more persistent and rather than putting her straight back in her next to me after burping her if she refuses, I’ve left it another 5/10 minutes and she mostly then will have some from the other boob. She’s been sleeping better since we’ve done this and my boobs aren’t as sore, so a win win! Thank you for checking in! 💗
Really delighted to hear that! Well done on persevering with it, sounds like you’re both doing really well with the feeding! Such a learning curve for you and baby

• Heart
Really delighted to hear that! Well done on persevering with it, sounds like you’re both doing really well with the feeding! Such a learning curve for you and baby
Thank you! It’s such a learning curve and there’s so much to think about! Thank you for all your help and advice, you’re a ⭐

• Heart
So I’ve mentioned on here before about childcare costs etc, I had a proper sit down chat with my husband this evening about what is doable for us as a family. My mat pay runs out in December but I don’t have a specific job to go back to, so I need to think about getting my arse in gear.
When I had my baby I decided to retrain so I’ve been studying whilst looking after my baby (nuts, eh?!) as I only had GCSEs to my name. Anyway, I’m going to start properly job hunting in September, with a hope to start work in nov/dec or January at an absolute push. Hopefully we’re going to do 2 days nursery, 1 day my in laws and then if I can do full time hours over 4 days (praying 🤞🏻) then my husband will have one day off in the week and one day off at the weekend. If I have to do 5 days a week it will be my parents one day then my husband still taking a day off. I don’t really know why I’m putting this on here, just felt like I needed to type it. The prospect of a new career is exciting and daunting but I just wish I could stay with my baby all the time 😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So I’ve mentioned on here before about childcare costs etc, I had a proper sit down chat with my husband this evening about what is doable for us as a family. My mat pay runs out in December but I don’t have a specific job to go back to, so I need to think about getting my arse in gear.
When I had my baby I decided to retrain so I’ve been studying whilst looking after my baby (nuts, eh?!) as I only had GCSEs to my name. Anyway, I’m going to start properly job hunting in September, with a hope to start work in nov/dec or January at an absolute push. Hopefully we’re going to do 2 days nursery, 1 day my in laws and then if I can do full time hours over 4 days (praying 🤞🏻) then my husband will have one day off in the week and one day off at the weekend. If I have to do 5 days a week it will be my parents one day then my husband still taking a day off. I don’t really know why I’m putting this on here, just felt like I needed to type it. The prospect of a new career is exciting and daunting but I just wish I could stay with my baby all the time 😭😭
It’s such a hard juggle for many mums, getting that balance between work and family life. I’m not sure there is any right answer, as I have done it all (full time at home, part time, full time at work) and while part time works best for me, it’s still not perfect. It’s exciting that you’re retraining! Hopefully you find a job you love which makes working out of the home and leaving baby a bit easier

Reactions: 3
Any tips on dealing with my 6 week old's baby acne? It's all across her cheeks but her skin there feels rough and dry, not oily. A bit flaky towards her ears now too as well. I gently clean her face every day with cooled boiled water but not sure what else I could be doing or whether a gentle baby moisturiser or oil would make it worse.

Any tips on dealing with my 6 week old's baby acne? It's all across her cheeks but her skin there feels rough and dry, not oily. A bit flaky towards her ears now too as well. I gently clean her face every day with cooled boiled water but not sure what else I could be doing or whether a gentle baby moisturiser or oil would make it worse.
I bought some e45 when it started getting flakey... however I'm pretty sure you're supposed to just leave it to sort itself.
As I believe oil makes it worse

My gp friend advised me to leave it in terms of e45, oil etc.
I think you’re right using cooled boiled water but it usually clears up pretty quick!

I would absolutely recommend “Moo Goo” soothing MSM moisturiser, really helped my little one with the dryness, the baby acne seemed to clear up pretty soon after. Could of been coincidence, but a really nice range of products.

Just leave it, it will clear on it’s own. All 4 of mine had it, some very very badly, and I never used anything on it. It clears up itself after a few weeks. Not so nice to look at in the mean time but totally harmless for them

Thanks guys, I thought as much, will just leave it be. It seems to get very red and angry when she's feeding, pooing or crying but when she's relaxed and asleep for example you can barely see it. But her skin feels so rough 😩

Thanks guys, I thought as much, will just leave it be. It seems to get very red and angry when she's feeding, pooing or crying but when she's relaxed and asleep for example you can barely see it. But her skin feels so rough 😩
I remember with my first (who had it the worst I’ve seen) I was devastated as I thought everyone would think she was ugly 😢 hers was so red, and as you say always worse durin feeds and cries. It does take a few weeks but she will be back to her baby soft skin in no time

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.