New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello all
Gave birth to my first baby last Thursday
He is absolutely perfect but I am struggling mentally, I don't know if its baby blues or my general anxiety
I feel like I'm constantly staring at my baby worrying something will happen
I am constantly checking the breathing monitor we have for him. I'm googling things constantly. I cried today because my partner thought our baby had a problem breathing- he just slightly choked on his saliva - but now I'm shaking and back to just googling things and staring at him
I'm so frightened of finally being happy in life and finally having mt perfect baby that somethings going to take it away
Congratulations!! 💙
I think it's normal to feel some level of anxiety after having a baby, baby blues are horrific too. Definitely keep your eye on your mood and speak with your health visitor about how you're feeling if you feel it's not getting better/getting worse xx

Reactions: 4
I quite like it! You can view mum's profiles and wave to them then chat if they wave back, also groups you can join and chat to people (local and not etc!) and ask questions etc. Ive never initiated a conversation tho because I'm too shy 😂
I’ve never initiated a convo neither 😂 but got my first Peanut mum date tomorrow. I’m nervous! Will report back.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello all
He is absolutely perfect but I am struggling mentally, I don't know if its baby blues or my general anxiety
I am constantly checking the breathing monitor we have for him. I'm googling things constantly. I cried today because my partner thought our baby had a problem breathing- he just slightly choked on his saliva - but now I'm shaking and back to just googling things and staring at him
I'm so frightened of finally being happy in life and finally having mt perfect baby that somethings going to take it away
Congratulations ❣❣ Like it’s already been said, I do think it’s quite normal to worry constantly to some degree but definitely keep an eye on your self and speak about how you’re feeling, whether it is with your partner, family member, health visitor. It’s quite scary, the last 9 months they’ve been tucked up safe inside you and then all of a sudden the world seems a bit overwhelming. Sending lots of love 😘

• Heart
@Disneylifeonly im so sorry to hear you’re feeling in a bad place. The other ladies have given great advice, so I don’t have much to add. Are you able to get some sleep? And are you enjoying some of the moments with your son? If it’s all worry you feel, and it’s taking over, please mention to your midwives and partner, as it’s important they know how you feel so they can keep an eye on you and help you feel more like yourself if needed x

@moimoi good luck for your date!

• Heart
Hello all
Definitely keep an eye on it. It can also be normal to worry that much.
For the first few weeks, even though my first slept so well, I was so tired because I was waking up every 10-20 minutes to check he was still breathing!
It was constant.
And my constant googling actually annoyed my partner!

Anyone got any tips?
So both my other 2 have always, as soon as they could roll, preferred sleeping on their stomachs. However this time, my daughter hates it.. Yet keeps rolling onto her stomach 😑 so waking herself up constantly.
Pretty sure there's nothing I can do but 😑😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Definitely keep an eye on it. It can also be normal to worry that much.
For the first few weeks, even though my first slept so well, I was so tired because I was waking up every 10-20 minutes to check he was still breathing!
It was constant.
And my constant googling actually annoyed my partner!

Anyone got any tips?
So both my other 2 have always, as soon as they could roll, preferred sleeping on their stomachs. However this time, my daughter hates it.. Yet keeps rolling onto her stomach 😑 so waking herself up constantly.
We had this.. he cried every time he rolled onto his tummy. Lasted a couple of weeks tbh but now he will sleep on there from the beginning, never sleeps on his back anymore! We thought he hated it from the crying but turns out he likes it now.

Reactions: 2
We had this.. he cried every time he rolled onto his tummy. Lasted a couple of weeks tbh but now he will sleep on there from the beginning, never sleeps on his back anymore! We thought he hated it from the crying but turns out he likes it now.
Hoping she starts to like it!
My other two loved it instantly!
I lay in bed and hear her roll and start crying and in my head I'm just like ughh stop rolling thennnnnn 😑😂

• Haha
Morning all, thank you for all the love and advice last night
I've had a chat with my partners sister in law and my partner has been on phone with his brother..his sister in law was apparently a nervous wreck for months after their first, so its nice to know I'm not alone. I feel better today, my partner took over the night feed and made me go back to sleep after baby woke at 530. I think all the hormones mixed with lack of sleep took a massive number on me.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Anyone got any tips?
Oh god I was gonna ask the same. My 6 month old is rolling onto her front constantly and then screaming the house down. She could roll from front to back but seems to have forgotten this 😂🙈

Reactions: 1
Morning all, thank you for all the love and advice last night
I've had a chat with my partners sister in law and my partner has been on phone with his brother..his sister in law was apparently a nervous wreck for months after their first, so its nice to know I'm not alone. I feel better today, my partner took over the night feed and made me go back to sleep after baby woke at 530. I think all the hormones mixed with lack of sleep took a massive number on me.
I’m so glad to hear you’ve a good support network looking out for you.
The first few weeks with a new baby, especially as a FTM, are absolutely exhausting. Plus you’re still recovering from labour and birth, and from having your body put through pregnancy. Try and have as much down time as possible x

Have any of you ever given a dummy really early? She's only 12 days but she's colicy and it's the only thing that seems to soothe her for a while 😫 I genuinely didn't know you could give them this early but I got one with a mam bottle that says suitable from birth.
Also giving infacol before each feed on advice of health visitor

Have any of you ever given a dummy really early? She's only 12 days but she's colicy and it's the only thing that seems to soothe her for a while 😫 I genuinely didn't know you could give them this early but I got one with a mam bottle that says suitable from birth.
I'm a first time mum so haven't got any experience but my little one is 9 days old and had a dummy by day 3 :ROFLMAO: she doesn't rely on it but when she's unsettled at night it does help her get back to sleep!

• Heart
Yep! We started giving her one bottle a day after 6 days and once I knew she wasn’t fussed about switching between bottle and boob, I introduced a dummy (probably around day 10). We give her a tommee tippee one as we use those bottles but not sure it really matters, especially as she’s mostly breastfed 🤷🏼‍♀️ I find if she’s just fed but won’t settle and is acting like she wants another feed, the dummy helps! She’s so loud with it though so at night find it easier just to give her another feed 😂😂

ETA: I don’t know whether dummy/boob confusion is a thing but I was worried 😂

• Heart
Went to a mother and baby group today, well mother and 0-5 group because of the summer holidays and duck me, it was the worst thing ever. 😂 I was the only person there with an actual baby, everyone else had toddlers. It was absolute chaos and so noisy, my baby kept jumping. At one point, I was playing with my baby on the floor and a random child just sat on my lap to play with a toy. 😂 They all came over as well to look at the baby but I was so scared one of them was gonna throw a toy at him.

I felt rude but left after half hour, and a really nice lady who works there noticed and followed me out asking if I was leaving, she signed me up to a group with more babies next week.

But if that was my first experience at a group I’d have been put off for life! And as boring as newborns are, I don’t want my little baby to become a toddler now. 😅
Hey, I think your quite local to me, where abouts do you go to the baby groups? I am looking for one for me and my daughter, thank you xx

A lot of people pack them for the hospital so plenty give from day 0!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey, I think your quite local to me, where abouts do you go to the baby groups? I am looking for one for me and my daughter, thank you xx
I’m in south east London (Greenwich borough), there are loads of Better children’s centres nearby. Feel free to send me a message x

Reporting back from my Peanut date, it was actually really nice to get out and speak to a fellow mum with a baby of a similar age (she had a boy too, born 6 days apart at the same hospital!) We did a lap around the park then sat inside a cafe to feed our babies. Not awkward at all. Babies enjoyed staring at each other.

It was the first time I breastfed in public 😬 my boy did not appreciate a muslin over his head to help cover my modesty 😅 so I just was like ‘duck it, tits out!’

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Yep, our little one had one from about 2 weeks old. Really helped during those colic hours and when reflux was especially bad.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.