New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any bouncer recommendations? Bought one of those ridiculous 4moms and she screams every time I put her in it 🙄😂 not sure whether to persevere as she’s still so young she might just not enjoy it yet or whether it’s the bouncer she doesn’t like!

The leaf! Has been a god send for us, only thing my reflux baby was comfortable in, we borrowed various ones from friends, and found a second hand one on ebay in great condition, we’ve just invested in the ‘wind’ part as well

Also great thing is they can use it until they are toddlers. My 3 year old loves it too

Reactions: 1
I think I’m gonna have to ring the GP tomorrow, temperature has hit 39! Feeling so crappy, boobies swelling quickly but no redness and been sick a few times today. Ordered a Covid test just in case but I don’t have a cough or anything.

The last thing I want to do is breastfeed and I don’t want to pass on anything I have to him it’s not mastitis. 😭

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
I think I’m gonna have to ring the GP tomorrow, temperature has hit 39! Feeling so crappy, boobies swelling quickly but no redness and been sick a few times today. Ordered a Covid test just in case but I don’t have a cough or anything.

The last thing I want to do is breastfeed and I don’t want to pass on anything I have to him it’s not mastitis. 😭
Keep feeding lovely. Even if you have something like covid, continuing to breastfeed will help pass on antibodies to your baby. You are still in and around baby, still holding etc, so I do you have anything catching then he already will have caught it. And if it is mastitis then continuing to feed will help keep milk moving. If you are just done, try and feed lying in bed. Get your OH to bring baby to you when they need fed, snuggle them in next to you and feed while you doze, and then if you want OH can take him away again (or you can stay sleeping beside one another).

Keep taking ibuprofen and paracetamol to keep temp and swelling down. I’m sorry you’re so miserable xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 3

With my mastitis, I didn't get the rash until day 3 of feeling really rough, flu like symptoms 😔 it was awful but the antibiotics cleared it quickly x

• Heart
Keep feeding lovely. Even if you have something like covid, continuing to breastfeed will help pass on antibodies to your baby. You are still in and around baby, still holding etc, so I do you have anything catching then he already will have caught it. And if it is mastitis then continuing to feed will help keep milk moving. If you are just done, try and feed lying in bed. Get your OH to bring baby to you when they need fed, snuggle them in next to you and feed while you doze, and then if you want OH can take him away again (or you can stay sleeping beside one another).

Keep taking ibuprofen and paracetamol to keep temp and swelling down. I’m sorry you’re so miserable xxx
Thank you! If it is, it’s probably down to him sleeping longer at night and going 5 hours between his last feed and waking up. I messaged one of the breastfeeding advocates who’s been helping me and she got back straight away (I feel bad, I thought she’d get back tomorrow!) and she said to call 111 immediately, which I feel a little dramatic about. x

With my mastitis, I didn't get the rash until day 3 of feeling really rough, flu like symptoms 😔 it was awful but the antibiotics cleared it quickly x
That’s good to know, the breastfeeding advocate says sometimes they don’t go red at all but the other symptoms fit. 😬 x

Really feel for you, mastitis is horrible. I ended up in hospital on antibiotic drip as i went downhill fast.

it does feel like you’re coming down with the flu so that’s probably why you think you might have covid.

Just keep feeding and pumping as much as you can.

This heat is crap otherwise a hot shower on the boobs can help a but too.

I would also call 111, you might get antibiotics which helps a lot more than ibuprofen

Hope you get better quickly ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Also graduating from the pregnancy thread! My birth story:

Baby girl arrived at 40+5 weighing 7lbs 14oz (after being told she would be over 10lbs according to growth scans!)

Not going to sugar coat it but my labour was terrible. Had to be induced and pessary made me hyper stimulate (who knew you could contract too much?!) so they took it out. Was put on the hormone drip the next day and within 3 hours my contractions were every 2-3 minutes but I was only 3cm dilated. Had an epidural after 5 hours of non stop contracting because I just couldn’t cope with the pain and lack of time in between the contractions to recover. Having an epidural was the decision I ever made. Dilated from 4cm to 10cm in 4 hours but after an hour pushing didn’t get anywhere despite her head being so low I could actually touch it with my fingers! Doctor came in and said we had to go to theatre for emergency forceps as she was back to back, by this point the epidural had worn off and I was in absolute agony. Turned out baby wasn’t back to back but was in distress so glad that I went to theatre.

Although it was traumatic, the theatre experience was amazing and the staff were so lovely. Ended up with a third degree tear and a lot of blood loss but baby girl is here safe and sound and that’s all that matters!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Also graduating from the pregnancy thread! My birth story:

Baby girl arrived at 40+5 weighing 7lbs 14oz (after being told she would be over 10lbs according to growth scans!)

Not going to sugar coat it but my labour was terrible. Had to be induced and pessary made me hyper stimulate (who knew you could contract too much?!) so they took it out. Was put on the hormone drip the next day and within 3 hours my contractions were every 2-3 minutes but I was only 3cm dilated. Had an epidural after 5 hours of non stop contracting because I just couldn’t cope with the pain and lack of time in between the contractions to recover. Having an epidural was the decision I ever made. Dilated from 4cm to 10cm in 4 hours but after an hour pushing didn’t get anywhere despite her head being so low I could actually touch it with my fingers! Doctor came in and said we had to go to theatre for emergency forceps as she was back to back, by this point the epidural had worn off and I was in absolute agony. Turned out baby wasn’t back to back but was in distress so glad that I went to theatre.

Although it was traumatic, the theatre experience was amazing and the staff were so lovely. Ended up with a third degree tear and a lot of blood loss but baby girl is here safe and sound and that’s all that matters!
Congratulations!!! That must have been bloody agony, bless you! I’m glad the epidural helped, even if it did start to wear off 🙈 are you at home now or still in hospital?
sendung lots of love 🤗

Going into work today and leaving the baby with daddy. She’s our second so I probably shouldn’t be as nervous as I am but she’s a crier compared to our first and doesn’t aren’t to settle for anyone but me. I’m a teacher so very lucky that I only have to do today to get paid over the summer but she seems so tiny at nearly 6 months. Feel like I might puke!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does anyone have any bouncer recommendations? Bought one of those ridiculous 4moms and she screams every time I put her in it 🙄😂 not sure whether to persevere as she’s still so young she might just not enjoy it yet or whether it’s the bouncer she doesn’t like!
I bought a joie 2in1 swing off facebook marketplace for £50 and he really liked it. It can be a bouncer or a swing. I sold it on for £40 2 weeks ago so they do hold some value!
He hated the ingenuity bouncer that I bought for £70 before he was born! He didn't like being in anything but our arms/a sling until he was about 3 months old.

Just be careful and get checked asap. My cousin had mastitis and it turned to sepsis pretty quick. She nearly died.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Honestly have never wanted rain/cool weather so badly - this baby has been insanely grouchy since yesterday afternoon and has fed almost constantly 😭 It must be so uncomfortable for them, poor bubbas

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@moimoi how are you feeling today?

@OIM I hope today passes quickly for you x
I rang 111 and the doctor didn’t ring back until 2am, of course I was fast asleep… Woke up still feeling bad, but now with added diarrhoea! 🙈

Tried to fill in an online consultation form with my GP for an appointment but as soon as I said I had fever symptoms, it said to ring 999 or go straight to hospital. Found it a tad dramatic as I’m not even sure it is mastitis so rang the GP asked if I could speak to a dr, receptionist said to ring 999 like the website said. 😑

Rang 111 again, dr rang back and prescribed me with antibiotics which my partner will get later. He also told me to test for Covid, just waiting on the test to arrive now.

Reactions: 4
I rang 111 and the doctor didn’t ring back until 2am, of course I was fast asleep… Woke up still feeling bad, but now with added diarrhoea! 🙈

Tried to fill in an online consultation form with my GP for an appointment but as soon as I said I had fever symptoms, it said to ring 999 or go straight to hospital. Found it a tad dramatic as I’m not even sure it is mastitis so rang the GP asked if I could speak to a dr, receptionist said to ring 999 like the website said. 😑

Rang 111 again, dr rang back and prescribed me with antibiotics which my partner will get later. He also told me to test for Covid, just waiting on the test to arrive now.
Buggar me, talk about a total fiasco!! Thank heavens you got antibiotics in the end. Keep working on the boobs to make sure any blockages move through, even if you can’t feel them.

And when did having a fever become a 999 emergency? Pretty sure if you rang 999and told the you had a fever they wouldn’t be best pleased!

• Heart
Has anyone accessed the perinatal mental health team?
I’ve spoken to my GP and they’ve referred me to the team.
what am I to expect??

what am I to expect??
Well done you for reaching out for support. 🙂

My recent experience: I had a nurse come over to my place, she was really lovely and it was nice to get everything off my chest. She then went away and ‘assessed’ me, came back the following week to see how things were. I was discharged as we both agreed I’m doing ok but she would have referred me to get counselling/therapy/sessions with nursery nurse/advise GP to put me on medication etc if I wanted or needed. I then got a really detailed letter discharging me the other day running through our conversation and her assessment. I didn’t feel like she was judgemental at all and validated all my feelings, she didn’t push me to go back on medication which I thought they would.

• Heart
what am I to expect??
I had some phone calls with them back in March. They were good and able to offer a range of support but ultimately because I said I definitely didn’t want to go on medication and they weren’t sure if my problems were postnatal or because I’d just lost my dad they thought it was better for me to access local mental health support. Have been having some online cbt for a few weeks now.

Well done you for reaching out for support. 🙂

My recent experience: I had a nurse come over to my place, she was really lovely and it was nice to get everything off my chest. She then went away and ‘assessed’ me, came back the following week to see how things were. I was discharged as we both agreed I’m doing ok but she would have referred me to get counselling/therapy/sessions with nursery nurse/advise GP to put me on medication etc if I wanted or needed. I then got a really detailed letter discharging me the other day running through our conversation and her assessment. I didn’t feel like she was judgemental at all and validated all my feelings, she didn’t push me to go back on medication which I thought they would.
This is interesting. I already take antidepressants & it has taken me years to find the right one for me and don’t want to mess with them. However, now I feel like I am struggling I want to try different methods of therapy other than an increase in meds. Plus, I feel like medication won’t help me to overcome the trauma, it’ll be nice to speak to a professional!
It sounds like you were happy with your treatment & you weren’t fobbed off.

can I ask, how long was your wait before you had the nurse come over?

I had some phone calls with them back in March. They were good and able to offer a range of support but ultimately because I said I definitely didn’t want to go on medication and they weren’t sure if my problems were postnatal or because I’d just lost my dad they thought it was better for me to access local mental health support. Have been having some online cbt for a few weeks now.
Thank you for your reply. So sorry to hear about your dad ❤
can I ask, what the CBT online has been like?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.