New baby and post birth advice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just thought I'd also add that my 3 year old is still like this šŸ˜‚
Even when her Dad is the shouty one šŸ˜‘
But I'm the one that does everything for them when their dad works. So he gets all the fun, smiles and "I want daddy" šŸ˜‚
And ā€œdaddy is so funny!ā€ Yes itā€™s easy to be Mr Fun when you only have to put up with their tit for 3 hours a day instead of 24 šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Thanks guys I do feel a bit better now. Hopefully I'll get a few smiles soon!

Also another question... currently baby is sleeping in a next to me crib in our room at night and napping in moses basket downstairs in the living room during the day.

However she is definitely going to outgrow her moses basket in a few weeks time. What does one do for daytime naps when that happens? If I take her upstairs to the crib I'll have to stay in the bedroom as she's still too young to be left with a monitor, right. Do I just suck it up and make peace with the fact I'll be spending more time upstairs in the bedroom for a while?

Reactions: 1

Also another question... currently baby is sleeping in a next to me crib in our room at night and napping in moses basket downstairs in the living room during the day.

However she is definitely going to outgrow her moses basket in a few weeks time. What does one do for daytime naps when that happens? If I take her upstairs to the crib I'll have to stay in the bedroom as she's still too young to be left with a monitor, right. Do I just suck it up and make peace with the fact I'll be spending more time upstairs in the bedroom for a while?
I normally just put her down on the couch if I'm about or put her into her pram šŸ˜Š I feel like my daughters gonna grow out her next2me soon, she's so big in it now (98th centile) and long, it makes me wanna cry cos she's not a tiny baby anymore. I still can't part with her moses basket or newborn clothes šŸ˜‚

Mine naps all over the place. On the sofa when she was really young or in the carrycot part of her pram. ā˜ŗ

Mine slept in their own cots even for naps. No baby monitor. Even from an early age. When they woke up I could hear them fine. Baby monitors freak me out. Especially night vision šŸ˜‚ swear I see things

This is so true, thereā€™s so many things! My little boy was born with Mongolian blue spots and my husband was like WHY IS HIS BUM BRUISED?! fortunately I was born with them too so knew about them. Just very random as I am white British and they are more common in Asian/African descent I believe šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
Also didnā€™t know about stork Marks! And he had an umbilical hernia which honestly made me feel queasy, if I pushed it, it felt all smushy like there was water in it šŸ¤¢ then as if by magic, woke up one morning and his bellybutton was competely
Back to normal. Bonkers!
My baby has a massive blue spot that covers one whole bum cheek and goes up his back too. His dad is half bengali and had the same when younger but it shrunk to a small one with time.

Bit of a random rant here but I was talking to my sisters friend the other day our babies are about 3 months apart in age, mine is 6 months hers is 9 months. My mum would call up 2 days a week just to get out of the house and we usually go and do something, I was telling the friend that weā€™d went out with my mum for lunch and a bit of shopping etc and she told me she doesnā€™t know how people go out with babies and young kids cause she doesnā€™t leave the house cause her baby needs to nap?? I donā€™t like judging other mums but that sounds a bit crazy to me šŸ™ˆ Iā€™ve tried to put my baby down for a nap today 3 times today and she wonā€™t go šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ sheā€™s more likely to actually nap in the pram or in the car and if I put her in her cot as soon as i come back she wonā€™t go to sleep

Reactions: 4
Bit of a random rant here but I was talking to my sisters friend the other day our babies are about 3 months apart in age, mine is 6 months hers is 9 months. My mum would call up 2 days a week just to get out of the house and we usually go and do something, I was telling the friend that weā€™d went out with my mum for lunch and a bit of shopping etc and she told me she doesnā€™t know how people go out with babies and young kids cause she doesnā€™t leave the house cause her baby needs to nap?? I donā€™t like judging other mums but that sounds a bit crazy to me šŸ™ˆ Iā€™ve tried to put my baby down for a nap today 3 times today and she wonā€™t go šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ sheā€™s more likely to actually nap in the pram or in the car and if I put her in her cot as soon as i come back she wonā€™t go to sleep
2 of mine always slept in the car/pram quite happily but my younger two absolutely refuse. Itā€™s never stopped me going out though. Tbh I donā€™t really have the choice, Iā€™ve GOT to do the school run for example. I just grit my teeth and get on with it. Nobodies died. But then again if given the choice Iā€™d probably pick my battles too. Overtired toddlers are scary šŸ˜‚

Mine always nap better when out and in the pram

I think it depends on the age and the person, tbh. We are pretty strict about being home for toddler nap times, and for a while that means we tailor activities round their naps, and weā€™ve all survived and never missed out. I just prefer a toddler to sleep well in bed, rather than in the car or sling/buggy. So over this summer I either have taken the kids out first thing and been back for nap time, or we go out after lunch instead. Thatā€™s very different from not going out at all though, itā€™s a bit worrying that your friend doesnā€™t go out at all.

For a baby under 1 I wouldnā€™t be so worried, as mine wouldnā€™t be in so much of a solid nap routine at that age, maybe around 9 months it starts to settle a bit, but until then a lot of naps would be in the sling.

You could save all your upstairs chores for nap times. So Iā€™ll clean bathrooms, bedrooms, fold washing etc if the baby is asleep upstairs. And then maybe use a different place eg buggy/sling for some naps too?

Reactions: 3
I think it depends on the age and the person, tbh. We are pretty strict about being home for toddler nap times, and for a while that means we tailor activities round their naps, and weā€™ve all survived and never missed out. I just prefer a toddler to sleep well in bed, rather than in the car or sling/buggy. So over this summer I either have taken the kids out first thing and been back for nap time, or we go out after lunch instead. Thatā€™s very different from not going out at all though, itā€™s a bit worrying that your friend doesnā€™t go out at all.

For a baby under 1 I wouldnā€™t be so worried, as mine wouldnā€™t be in so much of a solid nap routine at that age, maybe around 9 months it starts to settle a bit, but until then a lot of naps would be in the sling.

You could save all your upstairs chores for nap times. So Iā€™ll clean bathrooms, bedrooms, fold washing etc if the baby is asleep upstairs. And then maybe use a different place eg buggy/sling for some naps too?
Yes I can understand doing that with a toddlers naps who maybe isnā€™t napping as much as a 6/9 month old baby who needs more day timenaps compared to a toddler. Atm my baby goes for a nap every 2ish hrs so sheā€™s having about 3 naps a day but a baby can/will usually sleep anywhere, pram, sling etc. I just wonder what she does if sheā€™s drs apps etc and it coincides with a nap, but I agree itā€™s not good for her or the baby to be inside constantly

Yes I can understand doing that with a toddlers naps who maybe isnā€™t napping as much as a 6/9 month old baby who needs more day timenaps compared to a toddler. Atm my baby goes for a nap every 2ish hrs so sheā€™s having about 3 naps a day but a baby can/will usually sleep anywhere, pram, sling etc. I just wonder what she does if sheā€™s drs apps etc and it coincides with a nap, but I agree itā€™s not good for her or the baby to be inside constantly
Definitely not good to be stuck in the house constantly, though it is tricky when you have a baby that won't sleep in the pram - mine won't easily and never has, even when newborn.. when out and about he won't fall asleep until he is literally exhausted and is awfully overtired. the sling has also lost its effectiveness now he is 8 months old - he will do 25-30 mins max in there and that's with a hood over his head as if he sees anything he will fight it continously! To sleep in the pram involves him having a meltdown first and even then, the vast majority of the time he will not fall asleep in there.. Not sure if it's because he sleeps on his tummy at home and oviously can't do that in the pram!

At home I can get him to have 2 (just dropped the 3rd nap) very good naps, sometimes 1.5hours x 2 or an hour and then a 2 hour one. On the days when we are out all day I know that night he is going to be up loads from being incredibly overtired. I do roll with it and don't let it stop me, but it's definitely on my mind when we are out and he's had about an hour's sleep all day...!

• Heart
Maybe itā€™s a sign she is feeling overwhelmed? It really doesnā€™t sound ā€œnormalā€ to me to not
go out at all because of a babyā€™s naps, I wonder if itā€™s an excuse to cover something more?

Hi everyone, shimmy-ing over here from the pregnancy thread šŸ‘‹šŸ¼
My little girl was born 7 days early on 26th Aug
Recovering from a semi emergency sectionā€¦ just wondered when you all ventured out for a little walk? I know weā€™re all different but I have a habit of pushing myself so wondered what is ā€˜normalā€™ !?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Recovering from a semi emergency sectionā€¦ just wondered when you all ventured out for a little walk? I know weā€™re all different but I have a habit of pushing myself so wondered what is ā€˜normalā€™ !?
Congratulations & welcome šŸ„° I havenā€™t had a c section but my friend had an emergency one on Monday and she went for a small walk yesterday - she literally lives opposite a park and just went and sat on a bench outside though. Honestly, I would just do it when you feel ready! I know other people who didnā€™t leave the house for 3 weeks so itā€™s totally up to you. How are you finding recovery? Has baby tango settled at home ok?

Congratulations!
I had a semi emergency section too.. I got home on the Wednesday and ventured out on the Friday for a very short walk. I remember it did make me feel very tired but was glad to get some fresh air, even if it was end of December and freezing!

Not for ages šŸ˜Š I had planned sections, and although I would have been outside, and out at my parentsā€™ house, and maybe walked in the street the first proper walk I know I went on was a month after his birthday. I didnā€™t see any point in pushing myself at all, Iā€™m happy to sit on my bum for a few weeks and not knacker myself! (I also didnā€™t want to get 4 kids ready for a walk and then get 10yards and have everyone moaning when we had to go back šŸ¤£) I also remember pushing myself too much after my last section and was just so sore and exhausted afterwards. Just when you feel ready is the best answer. Sometimes it does you the power of good to get out and get some fresh air and feel ā€œnormalā€

Am exactly the same re doing too much! I walked sooo much during pregnancy and am making an effort to force myself to slow down. I went for a little walk (literally up and down the street at a snailā€™s pace) on day 2 and then maybe 15 mins round the block yesterday, however I didnā€™t feel great after that so going to rest all day today. Trying to remember that in addition to external wounds there is also the giant placenta sized one in the uterus healing too!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.