Neighbours

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Irish channel Rte are in talks with Fremantle according to twitter
Won’t happen. Neighbours isn’t even that popular in Ireland, so there‘s no way they’ll be prepared to stump up the money that C5 did. People are just clutching at straws now I think.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Irish channel Rte are in talks with Fremantle according to twitter
Ha! I left a comment yesterday saying that RTE might provide a lifeline since the Aussie soaps are still pretty popular over here. I didn't think they'd cough up the cash (if we're talking millions of pounds a year) but maybe they will!

Reactions: 1
It’s possible it was her but I’m not ruling out she’s leaving for other reasons such as health. I think it’s probably possible there were other involved with the racism allegations.

I do think the racism scandal has out the final nails in the coffin. I don’t see ITV/channel 4 really wanting to put money into a show with the history of allegations (some were made in the 90’s)

Reactions: 4
Dr Karl has spoken too :D

Good to see support from Home and Away especially as a lot of people will lose their jobs.....

Speaking of losing their jobs how well do people think the cast will do away from the soap? A lot of them are typecast like Karl, Susan, Paul and Toadie who will always be seen for that role but I can see them offered things here like I'm A Celebrity and Dancing On Ice. Bland characters like Aaron, David and Jane I don't see offers flooding in for. There is probably only Chloe that I could see ending up on a big subscription service production or going to Hollywood either for a movie or a sitcom/drama.
I don't think many of them will find work easily, unfortunately. "Chloe" has a look that would fit in well on Home and Away, but there are a 1,000,001 other pretty up-and-coming actresses who share the same look and would probably be cheaper.

I agree, Eastenders is horrendous and relentlessly feel bad
Eastenders is a big expensive lemon though ... didn't they just move to a new set not that long ago?

It does stink that a UK network has to fund the lion's share of a show made in Australia.

Maybe if Neighbours pared back its cast, that would save enough money for it to be able to be fully funded locally?

I felt so sad watching today. Hoping I don't feel like this for the entire time it's got left on screen. All those people without work suddenly. Not just the actors either, all the production team etc ☹.

• Sad
I still think the racism accusations were sour grapes that certain actors got the boot or didn't have their guest stint extended. There was an Aboriginal man who lived with Karl and Susan a few years back - ex-army, I think? - he never had any complaints.

I have seen people mention that "Dipi" was a nightmare to work with, which I could definitely see as she seems to think she's better than everyone else.

It is very sad ... the end of an era. I do understand the real-life residents' feelings about it:
... Sure, the extra income from having a 'TV house' would be nice, but can you imagine how many unsolicited "visitors" you'd get? I wouldn't like it.

Another reason I've always preferred Home and Away is because of its stunning location. But now that show's real-life residents have kicked up a stink (https://www.smh.com.au/national/int...ts-welcome-at-palm-beach-20220120-p59pv7.html), maybe its days are numbered too?

I still think the racism accusations were sour grapes that certain actors got the boot or didn't have their guest stint extended. There was an Aboriginal man who lived with Karl and Susan a few years back - ex-army, I think? - he never had any complaints.

I have seen people mention that "Dipi" was a nightmare to work with, which I could definitely see as she seems to think she's better than everyone else.

It is very sad ... the end of an era. I do understand the real-life residents' feelings about it:
... Sure, the extra income from having a 'TV house' would be nice, but can you imagine how many unsolicited "visitors" you'd get? I wouldn't like it.

Another reason I've always preferred Home and Away is because of its stunning location. But now that show's real-life residents have kicked up a stink (https://www.smh.com.au/national/int...ts-welcome-at-palm-beach-20220120-p59pv7.html), maybe its days are numbered too?
The character you’re talking about is Ned and actually the actor that played him, Meyne Wyatt, stood up for Sharon Johal and said he had been a victim of racism too if that’s what you meant by no complaints

Reactions: 8
This is a fun read (about the sets):

The character you’re talking about is Ned and actually the actor that played him, Meyne Wyatt, stood up for Sharon Johal and said he had been a victim of racism too if that’s what you meant by no complaints
Well obviously I didn't know that before I posted. Thank you for pointing out that I should have researched more before posting!

"Nate" actually - not "Ned"

Last edited:

The actress who played Dipi seemed to only follow certain cast members on insta and never the a tress who played her sister or the actor who played her husband. When she left she seemed to unfollow them all. When she came back to get Yashvi, she said she only worked with people she felt comfortable with. I do wonder if everything she said was true, I believe she did suffer from racism, but I also think she may have been difficult to work with.

Just to clarify - I really hope the racism accusations weren't true. I'd h*te to think of anyone having to deal with that rubbish. It was interesting reading the comments in the article that @Chosen.One helpfully posted ... I wouldn't consider the 'c*unt' word to be racist - unless it accompanied by another word/s ... but the other stuff was really disappointing to read (about what he heard in respect of the LGBT stuff).

I just realised that I haven't come across Neighbours at all this year while I've been waiting to watch Home and Away; I checked the schedule and see it's been shifted onto TVNZ's channel 1, which is just such a weird move in a programming sense (TVNZ1 typically attracts older viewers):

1644307911930.png

It used to have the 6:30pm slot on this channel (which attracts more of a youth demographic), before being moved to 6:00pm:

1644307963664.png

It fitted much better on TVNZ2 ... especially as it was always followed by a soap that brought in the viewers.

I'd love to know how many people view it in NZ ... obviously not a lot, going by this! (There's no way of finding out, as they stopped publishing stats a while back).

Thanks. I didn’t realise I got the name wrong
You're good! I'm sorry I didn't do my research first 🤗

Re: Colette Mann.

For all we know she may be 'leaving', as per Roy Cropper in Corrie, last year. Who later returned.

She may be back this year, or before the show ends.

Last edited:
Re: Colette Mann.

For all we know she may be 'leaving', as per Roy Cropper in Corrie, last year. Who later returned.

She may be back this year, or before the show ends.
As the boss of her family who's played a big role for a decade to be written out off screen and then for that person to play down the show being cancelled it very much looks like a firing or they would have given her a big send off.

I can't see the government stepping in but if they knew a year ago that the end was probably near, you would think they are quite far on negotiating with potential partners.

As the boss of her family who's played a big role for a decade to be written out off screen and then for that person to play down the show being cancelled it very much looks like a firing or they would have given her a big send off.
Who knows.

Although David Neilson dropped red herrings about his departure from Corrie. Later proved to be a smoke screen.

We don't know Sheila has gone for good. She may be back before the end, it is currently not known.

There is no indication on any sources that Sheila is permanently departing Neighbours.

For all we know the actor may be taking an extended break, or has health issues.

Who knows.

Although David Neilson dropped red herrings about his departure from Corrie. Later proved to be a smoke screen.

We don't know Sheila has gone for good. She may be back before the end, it is currently not known.

There is no indication on any sources that Sheila is permanently departing Neighbours.

For all we know the actor may be taking an extended break, or has health issues.
But that wouldn't explain her being so off about the future of the show like she's gone from it so no longer cares and is moody over being let go. If she was just gone for a short Roy Cropper period I would expect her tweets about the show being cancelled to be a lot more positive saying she hopes it is saved, love the show etc.

But that wouldn't explain her being so off about the future of the show like she's gone from it so no longer cares and is moody over being let go. If she was just gone for a short Roy Cropper period I would expect her tweets about the show being cancelled to be a lot more positive saying she hopes it is saved, love the show etc.
Yes agreed. I thought Susan (Jackie) was very dignified on that clip a few pages back. It can't have been easy. She did kind of say though in a nice way that the cast they had would pull together and finish the show without Kylie or anyone popping up. In a way it must grate to think that that is necessary. I did read that Jason Donovan had put out a statement about it, but he does have "skin in the game" still with his daughter being in it...

Reactions: 2
Yes it must grate a bit that people keep talking about Kylie in relation to it - she was only there for about 18 months. When they had the radio 2 day about Neighbours last year as well she ruled out going back as she didn’t want to repeat things she’s done before.

Reactions: 5
I think Kylie also said she wouldn’t want to overshadow people by coming back and make it a Kylie thing (this was back for one of the anniversaries). However, the wedding was one of the most memorable moments so I would like to see her come back on the last week, maybe not the last episode

Reactions: 2
Yes agreed. I thought Susan (Jackie) was very dignified on that clip a few pages back. It can't have been easy. She did kind of say though in a nice way that the cast they had would pull together and finish the show without Kylie or anyone popping up. In a way it must grate to think that that is necessary. I did read that Jason Donovan had put out a statement about it, but he does have "skin in the game" still with his daughter being in it...
I don't want Kylie back in one respect, as she will over shadow the show. I read that she doesn't think the show was significant in her career as she wasn't on it for a long time, she wouldn't have a career without neighbours so she shouldn't be so disparaging about the show. Of any cast.members do come back, ones linked to the current cast would be great, the Brennan's, Piper, Xanthe, Naomi, the Rebecchis, Libby etc. Having said all that Kylie and Jason coming back would be great, they have links to Paul and Charlene has links to Roxy. I'd also love Harold and love to come back, more thank Scott and Charlene.
I'm still hoping it will be saved.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.