Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

newtoyou

VIP Member
I work with dozens of children on the Autism spectrum who are like this and one of my clients is exactly the same - every time we're outside on the driveway, he will trying every car door to see if it opens, looking in car windows etc. We've managed to teach him under no circumstances is he allowed to do it to other peoples cars but the temptation is hard for him to resist but with added positive/negative reinforcement, he was doing amazing prior to lockdown. At first, we started small. Scolded him every time he went on someone else's property with the 3 strikes rule. He was really motivated to be outside so if he had 3 strikes for going on another property three times, it was straight inside which was the negative reinforcement. When this worked, we moved on to not touching strangers cars (I still let him try his family cars and my own as he does need the stimulation) - all this with positive/negative reinforcement. If he went the whole outside play with none of these behaviours, he would be allowed something classified as a treat for him. However if he did do it and passed 3 strikes, meltdown or not, he was straight inside. Usually that would be enough negative reinforcement but sometimes we will have to take away access to phone/ipad for an hour or two if that doesn't work.

Obviously I know you cant control or implement this but please try to understand that this child doesnt understand what he's doing is beyond the norm. He cant control his actions and his parents are probably at their wits end as well. I understand its frustrating but maybe you need to stop engaging with him period. Don't make eye contact, don't look at him, don't acknowledge him as awful as that sounds as then he should understand. Kids on autistic spectrum often use facial cues when looking for any emotions so if you do make contact, make sure your emotions are visible. I don't know if your neighbours son is verbal or not but don't engage in conversations, just say "you shouldn't be here, go home" or "your mum has something for you".
His parents most likely won't get offended by your comments as they're probably hyper aware of his behaviours anyway but in reality, without help, theres not much they can do. The school should really be implementing therapy. If he's doing it for sensory purposes, they could buy him toys with sensory elements, theraputy, headphones with good bass, etc.
Thank you for this and explaining! Sometimes I do try and ignore him/keep the convos very brief but it is difficult cos when he’s asking questions I find it really hard to ignore him cos I don’t want to be mean. But I’ll try and be a bit more short with him and see how that helps. With the facial expression thing would you suggest looking upset/angry when he crosses a line? I know he does go to therapy, but I’ve never heard the parents implementing a system like this. It’s usually the mum telling him off over and over and threatening to get his dad.

Every time he does something tell his parents. If they become annoyed by the frequency then they’ll have to have some form of comprehension of how often he’s doing things like this.

It is absolutely unacceptable that you are made to feel uncomfortable in your own home... just reading your story has set my teeth on edge. I understand if the child has additional support needs, but anyone can have an unseen medical condition and his wellbeing should not be prioritised over yours. I have anxiety exacerbated by noise and his doorbell ringing would end up triggering panic attacks for me. He is not your responsibility to look after, his parents need to sort this.
Yeh that’s what I thought, there could be elderly people or people with anxiety that it scares. Have to admit I’ve woken up from a couple of nightmares where a face appears at my window because of this.

It sounds like such a horrible situation to be in ,I feel for both the OP and the boy's parents. The only practical thing I could suggest is getting rid of the door bell and putting up that film on the window so he can't see through it . Or get a viscous looking dog that will bark at him when he is on your property.
Funnily enough he was following a woman with a dog on the street the other day and the dog was properly barking at him in an aggressive way but he didn’t care!

Hello,

So I need some advice. I live next door to a nice family who have an incredibly annoying 8y/o kid. I know he goes to a “special school” (his dad’s words) but I’m not sure exactly what for.
I’m a friendly person (I hope) but I like my personal space and he’s slowly winding me up.

He’s outside a lot and every time he sees me drive in he runs up, grabs my car door and tries to grab my keys to open the garage. He then tries to open my boot and my front door and wants to look inside my car and mess with my indicators etc. I tell him over and over to please not open my boot and touch my car, to not go in my garage where there’s stuff that could hurt him. He’s even started ringing my doorbell on a Sunday afternoon which I get most annoyed about bc I just want to relax and I know he’s doing it bc he’s bored.

I really don’t want to ask his parents bc they have a lot on their plates personally and by the sounds of it (over the wall) have a lot of trouble stopping him doing stuff themselves.

I really don’t want to be mean bc I do feel bad for him but I need a way to make it clear to him that I’m not a kid on the street and I don’t want him invading my space. He does do the car thing with other people but I feel like he’s less likely to do it to my male neighbours.

It’s got to the point where I wait until he’s gone out before I cut my lawn cos I don’t have the energy to deal with having to keep an eye on him touching my stuff.

This probably sounds mean if you have kids but no other kid on the street does this and it’s driving me mad.
Sounds like either he has autism or he’s just at a really bad kid,the mention of a special school leads me to think autism,I know someone who’s adult child has autism, she’s snoopy as well and sometimes doesnt take no for an answer having me repeat the same things over and over,it’s irritating,have u spoken to his parents about him? He might need to be told by a disciplinarian

newtoyou

VIP Member
Is thier not a gate on the garden you can lock? I couldnt cope!
Hopefully as winter gets going itll be to cold for him to go out, but his parents need a talking to, tbh if my child had extra needs i wouldnt be letting them out on the street like he sounds to be allowed, they prob do it for some peace but its not fair on you.
Sorry, should clarify it's the front lawn, so it's it's a small patch of grass in front of my living room window that he can just walk up to from the street. So no gate sadly. I'm seriously considering showing him the boundary lines around my property and telling him not to cross them :ROFLMAO: But yeh the dark evenings have been a blessing. He spends the majority of his time riding in circles on his bike, stopping anyone who walks past and giving them the 3rd degree.

idk2

VIP Member
I work with dozens of children on the Autism spectrum who are like this and one of my clients is exactly the same - every time we're outside on the driveway, he will trying every car door to see if it opens, looking in car windows etc. We've managed to teach him under no circumstances is he allowed to do it to other peoples cars but the temptation is hard for him to resist but with added positive/negative reinforcement, he was doing amazing prior to lockdown. At first, we started small. Scolded him every time he went on someone else's property with the 3 strikes rule. He was really motivated to be outside so if he had 3 strikes for going on another property three times, it was straight inside which was the negative reinforcement. When this worked, we moved on to not touching strangers cars (I still let him try his family cars and my own as he does need the stimulation) - all this with positive/negative reinforcement. If he went the whole outside play with none of these behaviours, he would be allowed something classified as a treat for him. However if he did do it and passed 3 strikes, meltdown or not, he was straight inside. Usually that would be enough negative reinforcement but sometimes we will have to take away access to phone/ipad for an hour or two if that doesn't work.

Obviously I know you cant control or implement this but please try to understand that this child doesnt understand what he's doing is beyond the norm. He cant control his actions and his parents are probably at their wits end as well. I understand its frustrating but maybe you need to stop engaging with him period. Don't make eye contact, don't look at him, don't acknowledge him as awful as that sounds as then he should understand. Kids on autistic spectrum often use facial cues when looking for any emotions so if you do make contact, make sure your emotions are visible. I don't know if your neighbours son is verbal or not but don't engage in conversations, just say "you shouldn't be here, go home" or "your mum has something for you".
His parents most likely won't get offended by your comments as they're probably hyper aware of his behaviours anyway but in reality, without help, theres not much they can do. The school should really be implementing therapy. If he's doing it for sensory purposes, they could buy him toys with sensory elements, theraputy, headphones with good bass, etc.

Web30

VIP Member
Sorry, should clarify it's the front lawn, so it's it's a small patch of grass in front of my living room window that he can just walk up to from the street. So no gate sadly. I'm seriously considering showing him the boundary lines around my property and telling him not to cross them :ROFLMAO: But yeh the dark evenings have been a blessing. He spends the majority of his time riding in circles on his bike, stopping anyone who walks past and giving them the 3rd degree.
Id be tempted to put something down on the grass to keep him off. No idea what though 😂

Maybe some thorn bushes 😉

newtoyou

VIP Member
Thanks guys. Yes he’s constantly outside alone riding his bike etc. He has a certain area where he’s allowed to play and he doesn’t go beyond that (I guess it’s where they can still see him from inside). I’m not a parent so I don’t know what’s normal. But he does constantly speak to strangers which is worrying but they’re aware of it.

I just spoke to my other neighbours about it and they told me that he does it to them too and one time rang their doorbell 7x in one day! So it seems I’m not alone. They advised me that I should ignore him (which I do).
It seems the problem with his behaviour is bad enough for them to take him to therapy too.

Re social distancing he does do it for the most part but I have seen him following a stranger and every time this man tried to get 2m away, the kid would follow him. He got a telling off from the stranger

newtoyou

VIP Member
Just tell his parents he’s an annoying little shit and that you are sick of him. Why are you putting up with this?! Get them told.
Hahaha, I know I'm chicken. I'm putting up with it cos I don't see him often enough (it's dark now when I get home) for me to feel like it's worth it to cause any issue with his mum. Cos I really value having good relationships with my neighbours. Plus the fact he does it do everyone else makes me feel better, and he has stopped ringing the doorbell after I told him to. I do know that I need to say something though and you're right.

Yesterday just really pissed me off cos Sunday afternoons are my chill time and it's such a creepy thing to do.

Ohreally

It sounds like such a horrible situation to be in ,I feel for both the OP and the boy's parents. The only practical thing I could suggest is getting rid of the door bell and putting up that film on the window so he can't see through it . Or get a viscous looking dog that will bark at him when he is on your property.
I second the dog idea! Can’t you tell him you’re looking after a friend’s vicious dog?? You’ve been so patient, I don’t know how you do it.

newtoyou

VIP Member
It doesn't sound like he's safe cycling out on the street unsupervised either. He obviously struggles with awareness.

He's out approaching adults at a time we are supposed to be in lockdown anyway. Its madness they are aware he has no concept of personal space or boundaries so they should be closely supervising him .or at least keep him in the garden !!

If you really don't want to create any tension , could you maybe get him a garden toy that's suitable to play in the secure garden. Maybe gave a friendly chat with his mum, blame covid and offer him the toy to keep him entertained in the garden
thanks for your suggestions and advice. His back garden is a practical park. He has a swing, a hammock, a climbing frame, a mini fountain, a work bench and god knows what else that I can’t see. I don’t think anything else I can give him would entertain him. He just loves doing whatever mundane things adults do - opening and closing car boots, talking to adults about where they’re going, pretending he’s parking his toy car etc. Even his mannerisms are very adult (folding his arms when he’s talking to you, giving thumbs up etc)

newtoyou

VIP Member
I have no idea how you have not totally lost it with the kid.its annoying and creepy ( I have a some slightly strange window fears ) and I would absolutely crap myself if I noticed somebody peeping through my window.

I just don't understand how he's left alone for long enough to get up to all this nuisance. Where are his parents ,the kid is clearly not safe to be out alone.
Yeh I have bad days like today, then other days I feel a bit sorry for him cos of his issues/past and inability to make friends on the street.

The parents have another older kid who can’t do anything for himself (requires feeding, dressing etc). So I think they’re occupied a lot with him. I don’t know for sure but I would take a guess that he’s a lot of trouble in the house so they send him outside. Even so it’s not the neighbours job to entertain him. Especially when a lot of us are trying to work.

And yeh the window thing is so creepy!

Death2unicorns

How old is the child? How much understanding/comprehension does he seem to have? for example if you told him not to ring your doorbell anymore would he actually understand what that means? It does sound like he has some serious behavioural issues I’m just wondering if he has learning difficulties and what the extent of them are, it may not be as simple as just telling him not to do something

but generally speaking I agree it does sound really unfair to you and the parents need to keep him in the house and the back garden and take him somewhere else like a park for an hour or so to ride his bike, even if just one parent takes him while the other stays with the older child who needs a high level of care

DevaVictrix

Chatty Member
And again I’ll say, that’s up to his parents to nip it in the bud or supervise him! You don’t know him, so to assume he’s just a brat based on a few posts is disgusting and frankly quite offensive as the parent of a child who struggles with boundaries. I can’t speak for anybody else but I can assure you I’m not happy to label my child with additional needs. I very much wish my child didn’t have additional needs so he wouldn’t have to put up with being constantly judged or misunderstood by ignorant people like you.
Well that’s your thoughts and these are mine.

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Progress! The mum was out there too (I didn’t mention anything cos the kid was there) but we were both telling him over and over to stay away from the mower. She actually told me to tell him off if she’s not around which made me feel better.

She also mentioned that he’ll be starting some therapy for ADHD soon and will hopefully calm down. Poor woman is exhausted.

How does he have access to your garden??

DevaVictrix

Chatty Member
Just bringing this back with an update cos I’m at the end of my tether.
The kid is now diagnosed with ADHD and autism. He’s also got issues due to trauma.

But he started staring though my window at me so often that I now have to keep the blinds permanently half shut. Since I closed them he now rings my doorbell every day. Usually while I’m working. I just ignore him cos I don’t want to reward him with attention. But I have told him off for both things before.

I need to tell his parents but I don’t know how to approach it. Any tips?
What an actual brat.

newtoyou

VIP Member
We have neighbours next to us who have three children, we have none. When we moved in we were yet to put up our gate but we would find the kids in our backyard playing. We are quiet people and want our privacy. When I went out to say something, the dad said "they're just playing, you don't mind, do you?" I had to tell him that I didn't want them on our property as if something happened, we would be held liable. I am in Canada, so not sure what it is like in the UK in that sense. We also had multiple issues where we would be on our deck, they would climb on the fence and yell at us. We tried to ignore them but that made it worse. We eventually spoke to the parents saying we just want our privacy in the backyard, we don't mind saying hi out the front and that they must understand that. They said they didn't understand and that the kids just want to say hi. They have problems with boundaries, the dad is a nosey one too. Sometimes we would hate going to our car, as he would talk to us for ages when we were trying to leave. They would also let the kids play with the hose and they would leave it on, which would flood our backyard and trip my husband's electrical tools. They hate us now, as we haven't gone to the past two block parties and they say it seems like we don't want to be friends with them...we don't. Haha.

I would say talk to the parents and see how it goes.
I’m sorry you had to deal with all that. I completely understand the feeling of dread when you need something done and the kid/s (or parents in your case!) are out there. And how frustrating it is that people can’t seem to respect boundaries. It’s not ok for them to climb up the fence when you’re in your garden.

Luckily these parents are aware that he is a problem and overly nosy.

Keiffers pipe

Yeh they do, he can’t cycle in it though which is what he’s doing most of the time on the street
It doesn't sound like he's safe cycling out on the street unsupervised either. He obviously struggles with awareness.

He's out approaching adults at a time we are supposed to be in lockdown anyway. Its madness they are aware he has no concept of personal space or boundaries so they should be closely supervising him .or at least keep him in the garden !!

If you really don't want to create any tension , could you maybe get him a garden toy that's suitable to play in the secure garden. Maybe gave a friendly chat with his mum, blame covid and offer him the toy to keep him entertained in the garden

Death2unicorns

Society can’t always blame bad behaviour on additional needs! We seem to be surrounded nowadays with kids that are labelled with additional special needs, why is that?? I went to a primary school of nearly 900 pupils, for 7 years, and in all that time there were about 5 pupils with additional needs. My friend teaches in a small country primary school today and she is amazed at how many kids have ‘diagnoses’. Some of these children are so bad, they have kicked her legs, bitten her, and called her stupid. Come parent-teacher evenings, when she raised this bad behaviour, some of these parents replied and said it wasn’t their problem how their kids got on in school. Absolute disgrace. I think many parents are happy to use these ‘additional needs’ labels to just let their kids run about and do whatever they want.
The length of time this has gone on, it is clear to see this child knows what he is doing.
What you have said here is true about many rubbish parents trying to absolve responsibility for their child’s poor behaviour by getting them ‘labelled’ but I really do think in this case here there is a genuine disability, even if the kid ‘knows what he is doing’ he obviously has very poor impulse control and understanding of consequences, I don’t know whether you’ve ever looked after a child with genuine additional needs but even if they ‘know what they are doing’ it’s not as simple as just telling them not to do it!

obviously I’ve never met the kid and don’t know the family but I’m reading between the lines here and thinking the kid might be adopted and has had a terrible start in life by what has been said about his early trauma, his behaviours sound typical of FASD which is rife in adopted kids and is often misdiagnosed as adhd/autism, FASD is permanent brain damage and the victims of it are incapable of normal behaviour, there may be something like that going on