Natacha Oceane

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree she shouldn’t be the face of it and she definitely may overstep in her role, but also… there aren’t really more qualified large platform people making the content she makes? She always defers on diet topics to RDs, and encourages people to follow experts in the fields she talks about. Idk, she’s a hell of a lot more qualified to speak on the science than basically anyone else I see in the fitness space. There is room for science communicators, which is a skill that a lot of actual scientists do not have or do not have the time to develop.

Again, I do not idolize her at all and I have multiple problems with her platform. I just don’t “get” this particular criticism so much.
Agree with this one.
I think what she does -interpreting scientific studies to lay audience- is a very underrated subject. As a scientist myself, in my MSc degree we had a whole module in outreach and how to deliver scientific info in lay language. Cause so many scientists are just locked in their labs, when actually they could really make a difference by replacing all the misinformation provided everywhere with actually science based info.
And you don’t actually have to be expert in one particular field to understand it, there is some overlap, and one trained to interpret scientific studies in one domain can actually interpret in many more fields. Not being an expert in the field (which tbf to her, she’s not claiming to be), but in delivering the studies in simple terms, she clearly can do that.

Reactions: 7
I follow other scientist based accounts that don’t deal with human health. If they make mistakes, they won’t impact me personally 🤷🏻‍♀️ My point is that I thought she was at least coming from the field that studies health. Her personal interests center around metabolism (biology) & movement (physics.) I’m not a college counselor so I don’t know what every last major means. It was a reasonable misunderstanding on my layperson part since she makes these topics the focal point of her channel and puts ‘biophysics’ at the top of her page. She does a lot to put down other creators and make out that she’s an authority. It’s better to follow someone who was educated on these topics imo.

Reactions: 2
A point that I didn't make, because my post got too long, was about snobbery. I think @Slaybutter is right, she does put down other content creators and uses her education as a weapon to do so. I think it entrenches the attitude that you have to have a degree to have a correct opinion, which I think is wrong. As I say, I'm educated to a similar level, but I pay my PT to know things for me and design my training programme! They have experience of working with hundreds of clients that I'd never hope to replicate with all my textbooks about protein structure analysis... Horses for courses.

Reactions: 13
A point that I didn't make, because my post got too long, was about snobbery. I think @Slaybutter is right, she does put down other content creators and uses her education as a weapon to do so. I think it entrenches the attitude that you have to have a degree to have a correct opinion, which I think is wrong. As I say, I'm educated to a similar level, but I pay my PT to know things for me and design my training programme! They have experience of working with hundreds of clients that I'd never hope to replicate with all my textbooks about protein structure analysis... Horses for courses.
I agree, she always does a generic “there are plenty of people doing amazing work” but never actually boosts other content creators, which is not cool. I know it can get iffy to essentially endorse someone’s work, but do some background work vetting content and share posts or videos from people that you think are doing something good.

Reactions: 5
Also she doesn’t seem as genuine anymore, someone commented a little while ago that it’s all performance these days and I only agree unfortunately. It’s all fantastically edited and everything, but hardly any of those moments are genuine anymore- which was the most important reason I was attracted to her channel in the first place.
Yeah, that happens with a lot of youtubers whose content and "brand" weren't originally in any way about being super aesthetic and edited; they start doing this and the content takes a bit of a backseat or it doesn't feel genuine anymore, so (some) people disengage.

On the botox note, I really don't care that people do that IF they're open about it, especially on social media (or just media), because it sets expectations and plays a huge role in "regular people" 's self-confidence, body image, etc. So that's one thing, she's obviously not open about what she does to her body in order to look a certain way (except for the insane training and her food).
---
And you don’t actually have to be expert in one particular field to understand it, there is some overlap, and one trained to interpret scientific studies in one domain can actually interpret in many more fields. Not being an expert in the field (which tbf to her, she’s not claiming to be), but in delivering the studies in simple terms, she clearly can do that.
And also, her studies would've given her some broad skills and knowledge that would be helpful in reading any scientific paper, like being able to say whether the set up of the study is sound and impartial, if the sample is adequate, etc. Then, as you say, no need to be an expert to understand some things, especially if you're passionate about a subject and read trust-worthy sources regularly.

Reactions: 4
---
And also, her studies would've given her some broad skills and knowledge that would be helpful in reading any scientific paper, like being able to say whether the set up of the study is sound and impartial, if the sample is adequate, etc. Then, as you say, no need to be an expert to understand some things, especially if you're passionate about a subject and read trust-worthy sources regularly.
When it comes to health I am curious to hear from people coming from a range of backgrounds but transparency is key. I love listening to people discuss holistic medicine and anecdotal evidence. It can be helpful, it can be harmful, but I am making a decision and taking on the responsibility of trusting my sources. All of those things apply to my traditional GP.
The little dna 🧬 emoji doesn’t in my eyes really make up for the fact that she’s capitalizing on vagueness/ignorance of viewers and insinuating things about herself. It’s a very big side eye moment for me.

Reactions: 3
I didn't realise they were in Australia for auxh a long time, have they moved or is this just a really long trip?

I didn't realise they were in Australia for auxh a long time, have they moved or is this just a really long trip?
I think she said they were working there for a few months. But that is just a vague memory, not sure. This is why I feel like they need to just move to a warm place??

Reactions: 1
She said she didn’t feel loke training then she runs ultra then again says she hasn’t trained and then posts a video at the gym- I am super confused. Also she is definitely obsessive around working out which has been common for many ED people. Plus food challenges, eating like her boyfriend, upping calories don’t seem healthy

Reactions: 7
They're back in the UK now, probably just spending the winter in warmer climates (which I'd totally do if I had the money).
I noticed that she's not doing lash extensions anymore, but just mascara? It suits her so much better, I found her extensions to be way too dominating in her face.

Reactions: 8
Just watching her most recent video. Why did she leave Gymshark? Them saying they probably dislike her I wonder how it ended

Reactions: 1
Just watching her most recent video. Why did she leave Gymshark? Them saying they probably dislike her I wonder how it ended
I think she left as she disagreed with them using influencers who she thought weren't a good example to their audience (in her opinion). She did a YT video on it and there was also chatter on reddit etc so was fairly vocal about it but did always say they treated her well and she still loved the brand itself.

I find her videos entertaining enough, I don't watch the science ones though more the challenge ones. I do think her fitness is really high but some of them don't seem as genuine as they once were.

I'm new to this thread, but I have been watching her on and off for a while.

I don't see the point to many of her challenge videos, such as "switching to an ultra processed diet for a week" or "running for 24 hours." Obviously processed foods will negatively impact her...we don't need her to demonstrate that lol. And also videos like the 24 hour running one are just needlessly harmful...like...why did she do that to herself? Just to get a ton of views? It's not really useful information.

Also, this is more of a petty complaint, but her facial expressions and mannerisms are so odd and annoying, in my opinion. Especially when she's working out, she'll do like one sit-up and make such an over-the-top face and/or sound that I can't help but roll my eyes.

I don't see the point to many of her challenge videos, such as "switching to an ultra processed diet for a week" or "running for 24 hours." Obviously processed foods will negatively impact her...we don't need her to demonstrate that lol. And also videos like the 24 hour running one are just needlessly harmful...like...why did she do that to herself? Just to get a ton of views? It's not really useful information.
Answered that one yourself 🤣

• Haha
Touché :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, I find the clickbaity titles/content to be so counterproductive to the "health" theme, and can be harmful in some cases. She might be buff and athletic, but she's not really spreading a "good" message with her vids per se.

As someone who is a long distance runner I find it pretty cool tbh. Doing my first 24h race this year and it was interesting to see as I’m also more of a hobby runner. Alsoooo the research they are gonna do on ultrarunners and difference between males and females I think is interesting and motivating for me.

The diet videos on the other hand, not a fan.

I don't like how she did no training for it though. It's not a good example to set that she's constantly pushing herself insanely hard on huge impressive sounding things that she hasn't trained for at all.

Reactions: 9
I don't like how she did no training for it though. It's not a good example to set that she's constantly pushing herself insanely hard on huge impressive sounding things that she hasn't trained for at all.
Feels like a massive flex on her part basically. And I get that these videos can be fun but because of her previously health and science-focused videos, it could easily feel like doing what she does is totally ok for anyone a little bit fitter than average to try. It's not that she says it, it's that the context of her channel and her videos implies it, and the warnings aren't "loud" enough (she should plaster warnings all over these videos).

I truly, truly miss the videos from before all the "influencer getting rich" shenanigans.
At some point she started saying "love you" at the end of her videos, which didn't feel like she was comfortable with, I personally found it cringey, then she stopped, then she started doing it again, and it just feels so...influencer-like. And from then on, her videos haven't felt all that genuine. Some of the science ones I still find interesting, sometimes I skip them cause they're repetitive, but as for the rest 🤷‍♀️

Feels like a massive flex on her part basically. And I get that these videos can be fun but because of her previously health and science-focused videos, it could easily feel like doing what she does is totally ok for anyone a little bit fitter than average to try. It's not that she says it, it's that the context of her channel and her videos implies it, and the warnings aren't "loud" enough (she should plaster warnings all over these videos).

I truly, truly miss the videos from before all the "influencer getting rich" shenanigans.
At some point she started saying "love you" at the end of her videos, which didn't feel like she was comfortable with, I personally found it cringey, then she stopped, then she started doing it again, and it just feels so...influencer-like. And from then on, her videos haven't felt all that genuine. Some of the science ones I still find interesting, sometimes I skip them cause they're repetitive, but as for the rest 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, I think I've said before in here that I actually found her running a 50k video inspiring. That seemed a bit extreme but still within the realm of what she was fit enough to do safely. But then that 100 miler attempt felt like her overcompensating for how long she'd been out with that back injury, and doing something she was totally unprepared for just for clickbait.

The 50k felt like she was genuinely excited to try pushing herself to try something new and challenging. Other challenges have felt more like she's going for clickbait and/or falling into extremely disordered behaviors.

Yeah, I think I've said before in here that I actually found her running a 50k video inspiring. That seemed a bit extreme but still within the realm of what she was fit enough to do safely. But then that 100 miler attempt felt like her overcompensating for how long she'd been out with that back injury, and doing something she was totally unprepared for just for clickbait.

The 50k felt like she was genuinely excited to try pushing herself to try something new and challenging. Other challenges have felt more like she's going for clickbait and/or falling into extremely disordered behaviors.
Wasn't the 50k thing basically an ad for some shoes? Not sure if I'm remembering it wrong but I remember she did it wearing shoes ahe had barely worn before