Natacha Oceane

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly I think she wants to do it an lululemon saw a chance.
Eh I mean her last run challenge was with them also? I’m not saying it’s a bad thing, she does the charity stuff and all, it’s just a little weird to do these types of challenges only when she has a sponsored product to promote. I can’t identify exactly why it feels weird but it does.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Natacha used to be my all time favourite YouTuber. Her attitude helped me overcome serious issues with my diet&exercise and, as a scientist myself, I genuinely loved that she wasn’t spreading bullshit and misinformation.
But I can’t help but feel that something has significantly changed. All this Botox first and foremost, her face looks completely different to what I was used to, and I can’t help but feel that she let herself (and a good chunk of her followers) down by doing it.
Also she doesn’t seem as genuine anymore, someone commented a little while ago that it’s all performance these days and I only agree unfortunately. It’s all fantastically edited and everything, but hardly any of those moments are genuine anymore- which was the most important reason I was attracted to her channel in the first place.
Anyway, I hope she is in a good mental headspace herself at least.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Natacha used to be my all time favourite YouTuber. Her attitude helped me overcome serious issues with my diet&exercise and, as a scientist myself, I genuinely loved that she wasn’t spreading bullshit and misinformation.
But I can’t help but feel that something has significantly changed. All this Botox first and foremost, her face looks completely different to what I was used to, and I can’t help but feel that she let herself (and a good chunk of her followers) down by doing it.
Also she doesn’t seem as genuine anymore, someone commented a little while ago that it’s all performance these days and I only agree unfortunately. It’s all fantastically edited and everything, but hardly any of those moments are genuine anymore- which was the most important reason I was attracted to her channel in the first place.
Anyway, I hope she is in a good mental headspace herself at least.
For me I switched off when I found about the secretive app business she was involved in. I think she’s insanely performative and since I’ve noticed more and more issues with her and her content eg Botox

Reactions: 9
For me I switched off when I found about the secretive app business she was involved in. I think she’s insanely performative and since I’ve noticed more and more issues with her and her content eg Botox
What was the app she was involved in?

What was the app she was involved in?
A Bollywood star dance fitness app or something? It went under I believe.
---
Personally, I don’t care about the Botox or plastic surgery/whatever. I don’t think it suits her but she’s free to do whatever she wants with her face. She’s not promoting skincare or something where it might creep into false advertising category.

Reactions: 6
A Bollywood star dance fitness app or something? It went under I believe.
---
Personally, I don’t care about the Botox or plastic surgery/whatever. I don’t think it suits her but she’s free to do whatever she wants with her face. She’s not promoting skincare or something where it might creep into false advertising category.
No, but on the other side she has been praising health and performance and feeling good within yourself, which all go hand in hand with feeling good with your face and body changing and growing I’d say.
Also if you look back in so many of her previous videos she used to say “how I look is the least important thing about me”, and I used to really admire her for that. Also she would do almost everything in front of the camera with hardly any makeup.
I do appreciate it must be very hard as an influencer not to fall into the trap of wanting to look pretty and young, and no one is flawless, I’m just disappointed that she couldn’t prevent this happening.

Reactions: 8
No, but on the other side she has been praising health and performance and feeling good within yourself, which all go hand in hand with feeling good with your face and body changing and growing I’d say.
Also if you look back in so many of her previous videos she used to say “how I look is the least important thing about me”, and I used to really admire her for that. Also she would do almost everything in front of the camera with hardly any makeup.
I do appreciate it must be very hard as an influencer not to fall into the trap of wanting to look pretty and young, and no one is flawless, I’m just disappointed that she couldn’t prevent this happening.
Yeh I agree, this does go together with the fact that (as people have said) she has just replaced one type of ED with another, she is obviously very interested in her appearance, fine, but don't preach the opposite.

I had forgotten about that app, was such a weird concept to begin with not surprised it didn't work. I'm really intrigued by what exactly their businesses are it must be something much more than just her brand deals to pay for their lifestyle

Reactions: 5
Today I learned biophysics is not in any way at all related to exercise science & physical education 😖 What a letdown.

Last edited:
  • Wow
I don’t disagree that society-wide this is a major issue & I wish she was open about having this stuff done, but I’m just not interested in picking apart her behavior only tangentially related to her platform when there’s plenty of directly related stuff to choose from lol. Getting wrinkles smoothed out on your forehead isn’t that different than dyeing away greys or whatever.

Preaching anti-diet culture and then directly engaging in diet culture is a much bigger deal. The entire concept of a cut directly contradicts everything she says about fitness and nutrition, so the fact that she sells programs for it and openly goes on cuts to get to her “comfortable” body fat % (of insanely low numbers, of course) while claiming that she is “listening to her body” etc etc whatever, is nonsense. I still think that just about everything she *says* is great, I just wish she practiced what she preached.
---
Today I learned biophysics is not in any way at all related to exercise science & physical education 😖 What a letdown.
I believe she’s mentioned that her studies were about proteins, like how muscle rebuilds or something? But down to the microscopic level like that, I’m not surprised she was bored AF and hated it. Being interested in STEM subjects in a big picture way does notttt = being interested in studying the nitty gritty for years 😬

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I believe she’s mentioned that her studies were about proteins, like how muscle rebuilds or something? But down to the microscopic level like that, I’m not surprised she was bored AF and hated it. Being interested in STEM subjects in a big picture way does notttt = being interested in studying the nitty gritty for years 😬
Studying protein molecules is very removed from what she makes out on her channel that she’s qualified to have an opinion on. Ie, she said that she left Gym Shark because some of the trainers on their platform were mistaken about the literature in sports science and nutrition. I thought she was referring to material she covered in the degree she left. That’s not the case, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Studying protein molecules is very removed from what she makes out on her channel that she’s qualified to have an opinion on. Ie, she said that she left Gym Shark because some of the trainers on their platform were mistaken about the literature in sports science and nutrition. I thought she was referring to material she covered in the degree she left. That’s not the case, though.
Eh, she still has a very advanced degree in physical sciences, she is pretty qualified to interpret the literature. Not saying she’s infallible by any stretch but I’ve seen people on Reddit implying her education is useless for what she’s currently doing and I disagree.

She has had biophysics in her bio this whole time (which people also complain about lol), it’s not as if she is saying “sports scientist” when she’s not one.

Reactions: 4
Eh, she still has a very advanced degree in physical sciences, she is pretty qualified to interpret the literature. Not saying she’s infallible by any stretch but I’ve seen people on Reddit implying her education is useless for what she’s currently doing and I disagree.

She has had biophysics in her bio this whole time (which people also complain about lol), it’s not as if she is saying “sports scientist” when she’s not one.
Yeh I don't like a lot of what she is doing lately but leaving a (probably very lucrative) deal with gymshark because of this does (imo)imply she really does know about it

Reactions: 1
Well, no, she’s going off her own conclusions on what she’s read. She’s not going by established academics. I don’t trust her to interpret the science around physical well-being without a degree in it and/or one that was ever geared towards it. It’s not personal.

All of her science explained videos go through the academic papers she is basing her opinions on. Personally I feel she is well qualified to read those and interpret them. Her background is even more technical than (and is the building blocks for) most of the topics she discusses, so she should understand them at a very advanced level. Again, not saying i trust her implicitly, but I do think her scientific quals are pretty solid.

Now whether she’s qualified to write exercise programs is another question, which I don’t know the answer to. It seems very possibly not.

I would feel more comfortable if I knew someone proof checked her conclusions a few times. Someone with advanced qualifications would have a more developed grasp on the research process And familiarity with the subject.

Last edited:
My brother completed his physics PhD from Columbia University and he’s knowledgeable in bio and chem. I don’t consider him a trustworthy source for all things science related despite knowing that he’s very, very intelligent. An example of something he does for weight management that I wouldn’t go near is the keto diet which afaik isn’t healthy. He’s not qualified to give diet opinions in a professional way (and doesn’t try for the record) and Natacha even less so 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think Natacha is overstating her qualifications.

Reactions: 4
What really annoys me about her qualifications, is that a quick Google search comes up with several pages claiming she has a PhD. I know she's told the story about dropping out, but there's an awful lot of reference to it.

Here's a related example;
Screenshot_20230314-135256.png

I'm not knowledgeable about how influencing works, but this seems to be some kind of agency website. It references her being a Lulu ambassador (below where I've taken the snip) so recent info combined with the fact she's a science student at a London uni, which she obviously hasn't been for a number of years!

My degrees are very close to the ones she completed (and didn't!). She's definitely stretching to relate it to fitness. Yes, I studied basic physiology and anatomy - and I sometimes read papers on this stuff and get the message. BUT my big beef with her, is that there are people out there doing academic research into proper exercise physiology who are the experts. Why is she speaking for them? Why is she the face of exercise/dietary science? 💰

Totally agree with others about the back injury being a big turning point, I thought she was OK upto then and it seems something has changed with her content style or her attitude since.

Reactions: 6
I agree she shouldn’t be the face of it and she definitely may overstep in her role, but also… there aren’t really more qualified large platform people making the content she makes? She always defers on diet topics to RDs, and encourages people to follow experts in the fields she talks about. Idk, she’s a hell of a lot more qualified to speak on the science than basically anyone else I see in the fitness space. There is room for science communicators, which is a skill that a lot of actual scientists do not have or do not have the time to develop.

Again, I do not idolize her at all and I have multiple problems with her platform. I just don’t “get” this particular criticism so much.

Reactions: 7