Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Nonah

VIP Member
Wow so much of this chimes @AlwaysSummer. I’m very lucky that my dad is now sorted and our relationship is much better but after my mum he married another narcissist and it kind of turned him into one as well? She tried to turn him against me and it worked. I think he’s quite ashamed of that now.
My dad used to dismiss any problems I had but he’s much more sympathetic now.
My mum on the other hand will just make it clear how awful she finds it and will adopt any struggle as her own. I’ve also come to expect a performance of the dying swan when I’m about to go home or if I’m doing something I’ve been looking forward to. Im going on holiday soon and I think im just going to turn my phone off.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

Brightstar72

VIP Member
it is legally yours
I agree. Your Auntie has apparently 75% just smacks of greed to want your share too tbh.

We had something similar with my partner’s family and his family did contest it, up to high court stages. Luckily, it didn’t actually get there but it was pretty much to the wire.

People get pound signs in their eyes and common sense is thrown out of the window where there’s a will and money involved. It’s stressful and not what you need when you’re grieving the loss of a grandmother either, best of luck with it all.

Edited to add: have you seen the will? Normally, it has addresses of beneficiaries contained within it.

• Heart

Chandler Bing

VIP Member
I really understand what you're going through, it really wears you down and it's not down to us how our toxic family have treated us, but we have to try and live with it, which is hard unless you've been there, I also have no one apart my oh who I can chat to, my so called friend let me down again last weekend so have given up on that one, apart from that, I'm doing ok at the moment lovelyx
It's hard as well trying to make friends, I have a really hard time trusting people and I don't easily open up or instantly have fun with new people.

• Heart

klarakluckbag

VIP Member
So an update on my auntie keeping my share of my gran's will after she tried to get my narc dad to pressure me to waive my share so that she can keep 100% of it:

Citizen's advice were very nice but I'm not entitled to any sort of legal aid so the only thing is to contact solicitor. Spoke to solicitor's secretary today and they said they will give me a call back by the end of the week with a plan and the cost. Not sure whether I'll be able to afford any of it so I guess I'm no further ahead really.
@Rodneytrotter ...are you aware of the "Death" board on the MSE website? You'll get free advice, there are often some very helpful posters on there.

Have you got a copy of the will? I believe that you can search online to see if probate has been granted...

I do hope that you are able to fight this and get what is rightfully yours, as intended by your gran.

HM03

She is something else. Her favourite hobby is to triangulate her children with the dog, where she’ll be really curt/sour/downcast with us and then immediately be all over the dog. She once didn’t speak to me for a month because I told her I preferred cats to dogs (something she already knew): “You mean you don’t like Piggy???!! Awwww! Poor Piggy!!!” And then her whole face and attitude changed and she started seething and giving me the silent treatment for a whole month. I swear the evil vibes that emanate from her when she thinks we’ve insulted or dismissed the dog in some way. Unreal 🙄
This is so relatable to me! Recently had an argument with my dad where I sent a very long message explaining how he makes me feel and in that message mentioned his dog. The only thing he replied with is the part about the dog 'he has a name'. The mind boggles
---
---
My dad is diagnosed with EUPD but my therapist mentioned narc traits too. He has been heavily dependent on me for the past 10 years since my parents marriage broke down. He has a very limited social group due to his behaviours pushing people away. The reliance on me has just grown and grown. Recently I told him I couldn't see him for the next few weeks and he blew up on me. Tried to turn my sister against me, saying really hurtful things such as my late nan that I thought the world of, didn't think much of me. My sister told me this so I confronted him and we had a huge argument. I've asked for an apology before I speak to him again and he isn't willing to give one so he's been giving the silent treatment. Since then I'm riddled with anxiety and low mood. Anxiety as he has no one else and his mental health is so unstable and he has made threats to harm himself. Rationally I know this is all manipulation but I am struggling to manage the emotional side of this. Cant help thinking what if we don't talk before Christmas, do I let him spend it alone, do I buy presents, I feel completely stuck

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5

TaurusWithLove

Chatty Member
If she can cancel it, then she’s fully capable of sorting her own mess out and getting the car sorted! If she thinks it would have passed then tell her to get her own car down to a garage of her own choosing at her own cost.
Do not pay. Don’t get emotional over it. State the facts. She wants it done then she sorts it out herself. When she fucks it up and realises what a hassle it is then she’ll soon realise the error of her ways!
I'm awfully sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for your kindness 💖.

You're right, she has realised the error of her ways. She found a garage who fixed the issues, but the council-run garage don't have any availability until Thursday for the re-test. She won't be able to use her car until then 😂
---
Youre not being silly at all. You try to help and still end up being the bad guy 😪

I think part of the problem is that as isolated incidents they do seem minor but when you add everything up it's pretty major. Someone on here said to me that it's like death by 1000 cuts and I think that might ring true for you aswell?
Thank you for your kindness 💖. Omg death by 1000 cuts describes it perfectly! No matter what I do, I'm never good enough. I've been in therapy for 2 years, and she can't stand the fact that I can see through her and call her behaviour out as a result 🤣 I'm so glad I've found this thread, you all seem so lovely x

• Heart

Rodneytrotter

Chatty Member
I’m a week in to barely talking with my mother after she went off at me on Good Friday over me merely proving that she was wrong about something. It was an innocuous tiff where I was able to prove that she was wrong about something really ridiculous. Then it turned into me apparently disrespecting her because whilst she was ranting at me, I was driving and told her to shut up because I needed to concentrate. I accept that I shouldn’t have said that but I was that taken aback my legs were physically shaking, I felt shaky and I just wanted her to stop so we could get home.

She then said that I’d ruined what was a nice day, how manipulative I am, pointing out all the things she knows I am depressed about. (I have severe social anxiety and depression), gaslight and accused me of doing all things that I hadn’t even done.

Next day, she comes to me and says “come on” to try and resolve the issue and make peace with me. No apologies over what she said. No acceptance that she was wrong. No sorry for saying all the things she knows really really hurt me. I apologised for telling her to shut up. Then asked her simply- do you accept you were wrong? I could have let it go but one of my main issues every time we argue is that she has no accountability for her role. “No because I don’t care”. I don’t care about it either but it’s the narcissism for never saying sorry for the most stupidest of things that I can’t move on from. So I asked her to please leave me alone as I don’t want to argue with her. I’m just done. I don’t have the energy or the headspace for it. She refused and then went off at me again. This time saying “let’s pretend we like each other” which again has really really upset me. She’s my mum- I bloody love her but for her to say that to me has just killed me.

Not sure why I’m putting this here really. Part of me is questioning whether I’m overreacting and should have just made peace when she told me to “come on” but then I don’t think I am? I think the reason it’s upset me so much is that I accessed CBT therapy to help my anxiety and depression and one of the main things I learnt from it was “would a person who cared for you say all of the negative things you think about yourself? Well, my own mother directly said all the things I’m insecure about directly to my face and clearly believes them to be true of me so it’s just affirmed everything I think about myself. I don’t think I can come back from that.
No you're not over reacting and the fact that you were shaking shows the affect that she has on your body. My body does this too around my dad.

A healthy mum wouldn't joke about having to pretend to like you or say awful things about you.

It's a personal choice to go no contact and a really hard one. But if you did it might be the best thing for your anxiety and depression.

• Heart

RandomFrog

You mentioned that your dad was drunk, is alcohol a problem for him (or for everyone else around him)?
I know it's much easier said than done, especially with your wedding looming, but can't you just completely ignore him, like you would with a toddler having a tantrum? He's probably sulking, and waiting for you to go begging for his forgiveness (like you don't have other stuff to worry about this week!) but if you ignore him, and carry on as though he is of no importance whatsoever, I daresay he'll realise eventually that this week isn't all about him.
What do you want? For him to be at your wedding, or would you be happier if he stayed away? If you want him there, tell your mum to get him to grow up and stop being a twat. If you don't, then tell him, and your mum, that he's not welcome. It's your day, not his, so please, please make this about you. It's the least you deserve!
Thanks for the reply! Yeah he drinks alot, says he doesn't have a problem but we all think hes in denial about that!

You've hit all the nails on the head there. Tbh Im feeling like I'd rather he wasn't there after what has happened - it was abit too much this time (similar has happened previously) and I feel we're both going to be on edge if he does come but then I also feel like it's so final if he doesn't come. Im also thinking of my mum, she's upset, she'd be on her own, she'd be questioned about it by our other guests which would make her uncomfortable but then I do just think why do I bother worrying, nobody is thinking about me in this and actually my mum tells me I'm being sensitive/over the top when I say my piece.

I'm very torn as is probably obvious 🫤

• Heart

griftalo

VIP Member
Thanks for sharing this, I relate a lot to the grieving of a loving mother. Covert narcs are a hell of a thing, I believed her narrative of having grown up in a "loving, close family" until I was in my 30s, despite all the compelling evidence to the contrary, because she puts on one hell of an act to the outside world. The grief was rough, but it also opened up my life in the best way.

As someone who hopefully will have a child in the future, I'd love if you could share more about the choice you mentioned here? And how you didn't see it as possible to stay in contact and have a good relationship with your own kids?
Because my mother groomed my eldest and massively affected that relationship. Keeping her away from my younger kids was crucial. Having someone undermine you and head fuck you constantly is not conducive to maintaining healthy attachment with kids. Basically if a parent fucked you over, they won’t hesitate to do it to your children and weaponise them against you. She wanted to be a foster carer later and I stuck a spanner in the works for that, they probably saw her for the narc she is (I hope) but I do think it can’t have helped her that I told them I don’t have time to be interviewed by them about my childhood as I am too busy trying to run my own home as a single parent with no help. Which was not a word of a lie. This was before I saw sense and cut contact.
---
Thank you for this. Even though I did the same about 8 years ago, I still suffer with the low feelings about the whole situation. I have 2 boys, 7 and 12 and I've broken the pattern because I wouldn't dream of treating my kids like I was. Without them I honestly don't think i would be here.
❤ without my kids I’d have given up too. Hang in there, you did the right thing, and I know it’s hard.

• Heart

Rodneytrotter

Chatty Member
Ive decided the just sign the form and get my husband to take it back. My dad is pathetic, he has been banging on about his will for 8 years now. Ive been no contact for 3 years and my first contact is him putting a form through my door and ordering me to sign it using block capitals and a black pen. Didn't even ask how I am but then he's never done that in his life.

All this fuss an i bet he'll outlive us all 😕

• Heart

Chandler Bing

VIP Member
So as expected, narc mum sent a card (god only knows where she found this one) with a line on the front along the lines of “all I want for Xmas is to hug my child and tell them I love them” she also only addressed it to me, totally left my partner out.

her sibling also sent me a Xmas card and inside wrote “talk to your mum, you’ll never forgive yourself if something happens” - WHY DO THEY DO THIS?! My partner was furious at that card..

Eugh. The holidays make their narc tendencies even worse.
I'm so angry for you!

• Heart

TheGlossy

VIP Member
Honestly, I’d just leave her to sort all this out herself. She’s prioritising your brother over you who is bending over backwards for her. Don’t pay the 1k, draw a line in the sand and say I won’t be involved in this anymore. Frankly, what are you getting out of dealing with all of this? Nothing. She’s a grown woman- she wants the £5k then she needs to sort it herself. She wants to pay your brother back for funeral costs then she can. It’s nothing to do with you anymore.

Look after yourself x
Thank you. You’re right.

I honestly don’t care that she pays my brother back but essentially telling me she’s leveraging off my generous help to benefit my brother is quite hurtful.

I’m getting zero from any of this. Only aggravation. I don’t even know why I even made this offer. I should have stayed in my lane. I saw what I needed to see now, that’s for sure.

• Heart
Didn’t realise there was a thread on this! Hello and solidarity ❤

I’ve just finished a course of EMDR and it’s been the best thing ever for me. It sounds weird but I can physically feel a difference in my body, like my tummy is less butterflies/anxious and I can better manage my anxiety for the first time ever. Which is great, but sad I never was given that by my parents!
EMDR is brutal, but really hits the trauma at its core. A real struggle I've had is my poor childhood memories. My sibling is sharp as a tack and will remember mundane events down to what each of us was wearing at the time. I on the other hand don't remember most things, and what I do remember is flashes of moments surrounded by fog. It's been so hard to process my trauma and not self-gaslight the hell out of myself because of this. EMDR helped me to tap into stuff I didnt even think about or remember before. And helped me to slowly re-programme my brain into more of an adult self, who could see the situation and the neglect / abuse / pain of it objectively, rather than as a helpless wounded child. It really is so helpful.

I'd be curious about any experiences people have coming from a degree of financial privilege growing up, is anyone else in this club? I find this added dimension adds more confusion and self-gaslighting to what I went through, as I grew up in a big house in a wealthy part of town, had a rake of middle class hobbies as a kid etc. I'd have traded it all in for a set of parents that didn't traumatize me into a fight or flight state for most of my childhood of course, but I've found the whole experience of "it all looked GREAT on paper" quite isolating.

• Heart

Beth1980

VIP Member
Update on my will situation (sorry 😩). Received an angry letter from my auntie telling me to send bank details for the share of her mother's will. It was actually worded as 'my mother's will'. Apparently we are forgetting she was MY grandmother.

Anyway I lost it and phoned her straight away and asked her why she has such a problem with me. She said it was my behaviour towards my father (her brother in law). Anyway she is adamant that it doesn't matter what he does but I should forgive him. So we agreed to disagree on that.

Anyway she will be sending over my share within the next couple of weeks. Just need to regulate myself as I've been shaking ever since I spoke to her.
Try not to let her get to you, far from easy I know, but they want to cause distress and feel like they still have some control. Hope things get easier for you going forward.

• Heart

Beth1980

VIP Member
I am in my 40s and in my mother's presence I go back to child/teenage years, she brings everything she see as my 'unacceptable behaviour' back up in an angry/ blaming manner but if there is anyone else present this doesn't happen and everything is Sweet as Pie.
The main issue is at 20 I told my parents I was moving out with my now husband but come to realize it was my wanting independence and her lack of being able control me, but for years I thought it was because she was over protective.

• Heart
No I think this is good advice too. I really just want a peaceful life and it's not my fault my gran left me money. I don't know whether they'll dispute it and take it to court. I really just want nothing to do with them but they always come out of the woodwork....

I'm sorry you were coerced into giving up your inheritance. I know how easy it is to be manipulated into things.

They can go to court, but as legally the money was left to you, it would involve a long and protracted court case - do they have the time and money to pay legal fees? I suspect not. Family and money can be an evil mix and to this day giving up my inheritance is my biggest regret - don't let it happen to you - you deserve it.

• Heart

screamqueen

VIP Member
Firstly, hope everyone is having a nice Easter - events like this are always so tricky with family, so sending love to you all 💖

I’ve been on here before to talk about my narc mum and had some really helpful feedback, so thanks to everyone who took the time, it’s so nice to feel less alone.

My dad isn’t a narc, but I find he is building more and more avoidance tactics when it comes to seeing me and it’s getting to the point where it’s become a bit of a running joke so just looking for a bit of advice really.

my husband and I don’t have kids and have lived where we live for over 3 years and my dad has never visited. My siblings live The same distance from my dad but in the opposite direction yet he is always visiting them. Both siblings have children so I know he’d want to see them, but it’s starting to feel like he doesn’t visit us because there’s no reason for him to come, e.g no grand children.

He has quite an overbearing wife who he is constantly on the phone to or messaging when he is at family events, I think she has major insecurity issues, so when we have been together as a group (when I’ve gone to visit siblings and dad has been there too) he’s terrible to hold a conversation with as he’s always distracted either by her calling or texting, or he just has the same bullet pointed conversation points so it just constantly feels like you’re having the same conversation with him, e.g money, buying a house, work, etc

Every time I ask him about when he’s coming to visit he seems to palm me off and give me an excuse about needing to work a lot to pay off a holiday or something, yet I then see he can find the time to visit my siblings because one of them will share a picture.

It’s gotten to the point where it’s quite upsetting that he won’t visit, and I feel a bit like a baby putting this into words, but it’s like because we don’t have kids my dad doesn’t really care about spending time with us. I can’t remember the last time I had a proper conversation with him as even when he calls me to catch up, he’s at work and constantly having conversations with other people at his work whilst on the phone to me.

My husband lost his dad so it’s even more of a big thing to want to see mine but I’m sort of getting to the point of being fed up asking him when he’s coming down.

Anyway, sorry, feels a bit like a pointless moan, but yeah, I just feel like I’m missing something and can’t fathom what it is.

Happy Easter all x

• Heart
  • Sad

cee-bee

VIP Member
I met a friend today who told me that every week her mum phones her up and asks her for money. I think that's so sad and I cannot imagine how it would make someone feel. She said she has had to parent her mum her whole life 😪 it made me think of people on this thread.

Mine was opposite and would give me money and then remind me about it every second - I'd owe her BIG time. Cannot imagine actually having to parent a parent though.
That’s awful. The worst part is, people forced to parent are made to feel guilt and shame by the narc into keeping them in this parental role. (My mother was especially bad for this). Not helping her pay her rent? What an ungrateful spoiled person you are not helping your own mother etc.

For me, the parentification was more emotional than financial but both are damaging in their own ways. Parentification should be a form of child abuse IMO.

It robs you of any semblance of a childhood. Narcs are just black holes of people that will suck in everything and anything into the void that is their existence.

When my fiancée and I were discussing having kids for the first time, I realised I really didn’t want my mother anywhere near. Most mums lend a hand, but I realised it wouldn’t be like that for me - I knew that I’d just end up looking after her, that she’d become the centre of attention. I’ve stopped hoping it’ll change and just accepted that she’ll never be willing to step up and be a parent to me.

It’s made me very resilient and independent and capable, but I can’t imagine what my life would be like if I still lived near and had contact with my mother, and being forced to parent her. It’s like an extra milestone round your neck, and I just refused to deal with that. Life is too short. There’s something very perverse about parents expecting their kids to bankroll them, that’s just not natural.

My husband got into a lot of debt because of his mother. She maxed credit cards out that he agreed to take out for her. He paid her phone bill. She would text asking for money and he kept it quiet from me. I absolutely despise her and he now has no contact as he’s seen her for what she really is. She never understood what she did wrong. Vile.
That is so vile. I’m SO pleased to hear your husband saw the light and stepped away from that.

• Heart

griftalo

VIP Member
Oh my mum triangulated me and my sister like hell. That’s the worst part of it. A narc doesn’t just rob you of your self esteem, rob you of the experience of having a loving parent… they rob you of bonds with your siblings. Of your trust with other family members. As people, they are truly black holes that make everything around them disintegrate. Dementors if you will.

It makes sense that she’d use a dog to triangulate you. She wants to make you feel like you are lesser than a pet. That’s all it is. To control you through your own shame and feeling of worthlessness.

For my parents, triangulating would look like;
• One sibling would be bought a toy and the other wouldn’t. They’d make a point of it.
• If I spoke about my achievements, they’d immediately start hyping up my sister (and vice versa).
• If I was shopping as a kid with my mum, she’d spend the whole time buying stuff for my sister (and vice versa)
• “why can’t you be more like your sister”
• constantly bitching about my sister to me (and vice versa) growing up. Like petty, teenage girl in high school level stuff. If my sister had a disagreement with my mum, next time we’d be alone my mum would discuss how bad my sister’s temper was etc. this would alternate so the next time my mum had an argument with me, she’d go off and bitch about me to my sister. She always made it pretty obvious that was what was happening. If she got into an argument with one, she’d suddenly be best friends with the other. It completely pitted my sister and I against each other; and to my regret I definitely unfairly said things about my sister because it was the only way I knew how to bond with my mum.
• in a similar vein, having a disagreement with my mum would inevitably involve her bringing in my sister (or others) to take her side. Sometimes she’d pretend to be on the phone with my grandma. Have a whole conversation acting like my grandma agreed with her. It wasn’t until I lifted a downstairs headset (landline phone back in the day) and realised there was no one else on the line, it wasn’t until then that I realised she’d been gaslighting me for years via phone calls within earshot.
My sister would be so desperate for my mums approval she would always take my mums side anyway.
• I never felt I could speak directly to my grandparents about things. Somehow my mother facilitated it so that conversations always went through her. Another form of triangulation.
• my mum would ask me to keep secrets, from my grandparents, from my siblings etc. from a young age. I don’t think it serves any real purpose other than to triangulate and create feelings of mistrust/shame and in a way, it created a habit of keeping secrets. Up until they died, I never felt I could tell my grandparents about aspects of my home life. It just wasn’t something I felt I could do. After they died… It dawned on me that I didn’t need to hide my parents’ behaviour from anyone and I started opening up more about it to friends etc.
• my mother wasn’t above weaponising relationships either. I adored my little brother. He was the golden child and was spoiled totally by my mother. He sees her as a wonderful, loving mother. When I disagree with her she threatens to tell him, knowing he’ll take her side in all likelihood.
• my mum was really good at creating a culture of scarcity.. it’s hard to explain.. but it felt like my siblings and I were always having to compete for things like snacks, money, attention.. etc.

Triangulation takes so many forms. I think I’m still reflecting and figuring it out.

But I think when you understand it, can identify what it is… it takes away a lot of its power. Also doing a lot of work on building my self esteem helped me.

My mum flew into a narcissistic rage a year or so ago. The last time I spoke with her at length really. Because I’ve done a lot of therapy/work on myself… I didn’t feel as uncomfortable with the guilt. She was calling me a terrible person for XYZ but, I think that she was weaponising certain things against me. As it dawned on her that her old “tools” weren’t working, I could really sense her spiralling. She got more and more erratic and cruel and vicious and I just… kinda calmly responded. Finally, she got to an area that *did* still affect me. She threatened to “tell” my brother about our argument. What she meant by that was, I’m going to give him a heavily filtered version of events and manipulate him into siding with me.

This hurt because.. I love my brother. And for a split second I was genuinely terrified. But I paused before responding, and realised that… I *have* to be comfortable with my brother (and other people) misunderstanding me sometimes. And I have to trust in his love for me as his sister.

So I simply told her she was free to mention whatever she wanted to with my brother, as her relationship with him was none of my business.

I think she knew I was beyond her reach after that point. In a weird way, I found it a bit amusing. Like this poor woman, so desperate and out of control and pathetic that she has to resort to this? What a loser.

I’m not sure what she said to him in the end. He and I had a sort-of conversation about it. I basically said I respected that he has love and affection for our parents, but my experience of them was very different. We’ve kinda come to an understanding that we don’t get involved in arguments on each others behalf now. Having that respectful conversation with him, has protected us from her triangulation tactics for the most part. Unfortunately with my sister, it’s too late and too much damage has been done.

It’s shitty what your mum is doing RE the dog. But I hope that your self esteem and love for yourself reminds you that, just because your mum wants to pretend you’re not worthy, just because she doesn’t want to see your value - doesn’t mean that it’s not there. Narcissists see the world through a rotten, nasty lens and that’s their problem. I hope you’re able to laugh at how pathetic she is being and that that removes some of the sting.
I’m so sorry. I can relate to so much of what you’ve written so I know how shitty it is.

• Heart

Black.bird

VIP Member
Another year of month-long birthdays and other celebrations, another year of my narc mother faking illness to shift the attention back to her.

Like clockwork, as soon as people start talking with my mother about their plans - where they're going or where they've been, how happy they are - she turns on the drama. This occurs whether she has been invited or not - she just has to have the attention on her. Today, she called around several people until she got hold of my uncle who dropped everything and took her to A&E; wait times are long, very long, but because she said she had chest pain they rushed her through ... to find nothing wrong. Nothing whatsoever. One of my cousins - who only came around to spotting my mother's tendencies recently (before, I was pretty much riding solo!), arrived to take over and said she witnessed with her own eyes that "duper's delight" look. Isn't that awful?! My cousin has tried telling her dad what she is like but he shuts her down.

There is nothing wrong with my mother - there never is - all throughout my childhood she claimed to have high blood pressure for which she allegedly took medication - later in life, she told me I was imagining that.

• Heart