Narcissistic and toxic parents #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You are me! I've been let down so much over the years that I don't trust any more( especially when a sibling emotionally blackmails you) you end up so wary of folks, it's a shame cos I'm a nice genuine person, likewise you, but when you get hurt over and over again, you end up giving up.
Same. I have so many walls up its almost impossible for anyone to get through.

I was out at the weekend with my husband and some friends and got drunk and apparently cried about my mother and what she has done to me. Needless to say I now know why I don't drink but I've been feeling very vulnerable lately and I think I needed the opportunity to blow off some steam. However, I didn't expect to turn into a blubbering mess and I feel really embarrassed.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My NM sent me a picture of all the notes her friends left for her while she was away on vacation. They stuck them on her refrigerator which they topped up with food.

And here I am, in my thirties, traumatized for life, dating, and debating whether or not trusting people ever again is even worth it. It’s not fair sometimes. 🥲

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Feeling absolutely exhausted and wiped out due to my narc mums behaviour. I’ve honestly had enough. I’m actually starting to despise her now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Why do they always drop tit on you and then leave you to deal with the consequences? I asked my dad if my mum wanted anything specific for her birthday, if not I'll send flowers and card, the usual. Easy question you'd think. Cue a rant about how I should be asking her to go on holiday or long weekend (??), she hasn't asked me because "she doesn't think I'm interested" and "she's actually really hurt by my behaviour" (??)

Well he got one thing right, I am certainly not interested in going on holiday with her.

They always hit you with this stuff out of nowhere. In all honesty no, I don't want to go on holiday with her, why would I?! I've got my own life and trying to keep it together with work and money and everything else. All I wanted was a gift suggestion. Why don't they go on holiday together if she's so desperate to get away, bleeping hell.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Same. I have so many walls up its almost impossible for anyone to get through.

I was out at the weekend with my husband and some friends and got drunk and apparently cried about my mother and what she has done to me. Needless to say I now know why I don't drink but I've been feeling very vulnerable lately and I think I needed the opportunity to blow off some steam. However, I didn't expect to turn into a blubbering mess and I feel really embarrassed.
Try not to feel embarrassed. I know it’s easy to say and difficult to rearrange in your head. But everyone needs to release and I’m sure most of your friends have cried and got emotional before. It’s just difficult trying to express how much a narc parent destroys your life to people who don’t have narc parents. They (from personal experience) assume that you are over reacting and this is normally based on their “normal” relationship with their parents. The very idea that someone doesn’t like their own parents is an alien concept to most people.
One of my (now ex) friends told me that I should cherish my mother because I only have one. And when I told her that my mother is toxic and I’d prefer to not have to speak to her again she called me a selfish witch and hasn’t spoken to me since!! (Her loss)

What I’m trying to say. But not very well is we understand we live with the same feelings you have and if you want to get drunk and vent on here we won’t judge because we’re all walking the same path as you

much love 💕

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
One of my (now ex) friends told me that I should cherish my mother because I only have one. And when I told her that my mother is toxic and I’d prefer to not have to speak to her again she called me a selfish witch and hasn’t spoken to me since!! (Her loss)
For some people there are no words to describe them! Her loss for sure 💕

Reactions: 5
Try not to feel embarrassed. I know it’s easy to say and difficult to rearrange in your head. But everyone needs to release and I’m sure most of your friends have cried and got emotional before. It’s just difficult trying to express how much a narc parent destroys your life to people who don’t have narc parents. They (from personal experience) assume that you are over reacting and this is normally based on their “normal” relationship with their parents. The very idea that someone doesn’t like their own parents is an alien concept to most people.

What I’m trying to say. But not very well is we understand we live with the same feelings you have and if you want to get drunk and vent on here we won’t judge because we’re all walking the same path as you

much love 💕
Thank you so much. ❤

Reactions: 3
Hi everyone. Last July I posted about my ill sister and toxic relationship with my Dad.
My sister sadly died a few weeks ago and her funeral is next week. Myself and her husband are planning her funeral with a small amount of input from my mum. My Dad has had no input, financially or with planning. I am giving a eulogy as it’s really important to me to do so, my parents said they wanted to write something to be read out by the celebrant but my dad left my mum to write it in the end. He acted appallingly when she was dying in hospital.
I am so mad but know it is wasted on him as he is either too thick or too emotionally unavailable to even be able to understand that I am entitled to expect more from him.
My sister requested we give our packets of wildflower seeds at her funeral so I bought 60 packets and stickers to put on the back with a message from her. I have been at my sister’s house today and wouldn’t have gone round had I known my dad would be there. The pen he is wanting to use isn’t working so he starts scribbling on the back of one of the packets of seeds to make it work. I just lost my tit and started shouting, I was actually really close to calling him a c*nt which I’m not proud of. He told me to ‘calm down, what you shouting for?’ totally invalidating me. Anyway, the purpose of this post is that I am planning to go no contact with him after her funeral, my mother will struggle to respect the boundaries of this as has spent decades sweeping tit parenting under the table.
Thanks for reading x

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
Hi everyone. Last July I posted about my ill sister and toxic relationship with my Dad.
My sister sadly died a few weeks ago and her funeral is next week. Myself and her husband are planning her funeral with a small amount of input from my mum. My Dad has had no input, financially or with planning. I am giving a eulogy as it’s really important to me to do so, my parents said they wanted to write something to be read out by the celebrant but my dad left my mum to write it in the end. He acted appallingly when she was dying in hospital.
I am so mad but know it is wasted on him as he is either too thick or too emotionally unavailable to even be able to understand that I am entitled to expect more from him.
My sister requested we give our packets of wildflower seeds at her funeral so I bought 60 packets and stickers to put on the back with a message from her. I have been at my sister’s house today and wouldn’t have gone round had I known my dad would be there. The pen he is wanting to use isn’t working so he starts scribbling on the back of one of the packets of seeds to make it work. I just lost my tit and started shouting, I was actually really close to calling him a c*nt which I’m not proud of. He told me to ‘calm down, what you shouting for?’ totally invalidating me. Anyway, the purpose of this post is that I am planning to go no contact with him after her funeral, my mother will struggle to respect the boundaries of this as has spent decades sweeping tit parenting under the table.
Thanks for reading x
So sorry for the loss of your dear sister. May she rest in peace 🙏 🕊 I wouldn't give your father any attention as its only feeding his energy and draining you ❤ the wildflower seeds is a beautiful thought ❤ your sister would be very proud and will no doubt give you the strength .

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thanks for reading x
So sorry for your loss.
Do what is right for you and if it’s no contact so be it. Put yourself first 💕

Reactions: 2
I haven’t posted in this thread in a long time, but I felt I needed to exterorize how I feel today.

For the past 1.5 years, I have been leading all the administrative process and legalities following my dad’s death. It has been horrible as I’m dealing with a formerly estranged mother who has a learning disability on top of being narcissistic and bipolar. It’s a lot.

I work a full time job and live in a different country, so I have a lot of responsibilities of my own unlike my three siblings between 20-27 who live under her roof. The burden has been all on me.

My mother (who I quite frankly despise) is putting a huge block around closing what should have been an easy probate. According to local law, a deceased cannot disown their children and if they don’t have a will, 50% goes to the surviving spouse and the other 50% split amongst the children. My dad didn’t have a will, just 3.5K in the bank and the family home. This means that out of his 50% part in the family home equity, 25% goes to my mother and the remaining 25% goes to us children. It’s the law by default.

My siblings were at the appointment where this was explained and told my mother the notary in charge of the estate is trying to change the ownership of the house to us children to rack up fees. It’s not the case at all. She’s still owns her original 50% as co-owner and my late dad’s portion. She’s the main owner. The notary is just applying the rule of law in cases where there is no will.

Now she’s refusing to sign any document to close the probate and is prohibiting my siblings from doing so. She’s asking to: a) have the notary lower their fees b) not list us children as heirs. She says the house is “fully” hers from the start (lol).

We canceled the appointment three times and now she wants me to go on my own to speak to the notary to get the same explanation we already got three times. Not to mention, I have to travel, so I’m spending money over a probate I’m getting nothing from.

The notary is appointed a representative of the state, they’re just doing their job is what I told her then she suddenly started crying saying if her children want to ditch her, they can. The emotional manipulation is out of this world.

Next thing she tells me she has no money but reimbursed my siblings €1000 each for their work on the probate 😂 (they’ve done zero on it). Where is money when I spent close to 3K, no mention of that.

Lastly, she tells me she has “a lot of problems” when I asked what those were she said my 27 year old brother had a conjunctivitis and didn’t leave his bed all week. Lol. Let me have a laugh. I have been dealing with their BS private, work, health matters - did she show me any sympathy ever? She must be having a laugh.

The woman has no mortgage to pay, no debts. Her only expenses are gas, electricity, water, food that she’s fully able to cover. A lot of people would be grateful to be in this position (especially as she’s never worked a day in her life).

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Feeling drained after putting boundaries in place and looking out for me for once 😐, they are not happy with that.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Feeling drained after putting boundaries in place and looking out for me for once 😐, they are not happy with that.
I’ve done this today and I’ve been asked what’s the matter with me? Why am I so touchy?! Every time I call my mum out or defend myself I get accused of being touchy!
Typical narc deflecting.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’m dealing with this too. Why is it so hard? 😩😩😩
Same my mother has numerous health conditions (totally attributed to her own laziness) but she doesn’t help herself at all it really winds me up! She rang me over the weekend and I felt emotionally drained after speaking to her 🤯 she’s completely negative & toxic about everything to do with her life how hard she has it blah blah blah! she constantly moans that she cannot do anything (won’t more like) my dad is a complete enabler and I don’t know how/why he puts up with her as she massively holds him back! I live on my own as a single mum and don’t complain like she does I also have a long term health condition but never once do I use it as an excuse I get on with things! But my younger brother (who doesn’t bother with me) and could be better/do more, the sun just shines from his ass and my narc mom never has a bad word to say about him! Wish I could cut em all off! 😩 I would happily move the other side of the world if I could convince my daughter too 🤣

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I’ve done this today and I’ve been asked what’s the matter with me? Why am I so touchy?! Every time I call my mum out or defend myself I get accused of being touchy!
Typical narc deflecting.
I hear you. It would drain you . I get very ill from it. Today I got the "you are as moody and snappy, then she started shouting that I'm just like my father" I hung up the phone on her. I just can't deal with the negativety. Was at my Doctors today as I've been really sick and must go for tests , I really don't need this .

• Heart
I hear you. It would drain you . I get very ill from it. Today I got the "you are as moody and snappy, then she started shouting that I'm just like my father" I hung up the phone on her. I just can't deal with the negativety. Was at my Doctors today as I've been really sick and must go for tests , I really don't need this .
Aw sorry to hear you’re not well. I hope it gets sorted. It’s so draining having a narc parent. I’m in bed with a migraine gel patch on my forehead! Our mothers sound very similar unfortunately

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Aw sorry to hear you’re not well. I hope it gets sorted. It’s so draining having a narc parent. I’m in bed with a migraine gel patch on my forehead! Our mothers sound very similar unfortunately
I'm the very same , in bed after taking two pain. I've just felt numb all day. It's like they can put a dark cloud over you for the day . I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I'm glad I found this thread, it helps to know its not all in my head and other people have gone through similar x I hope your migraine eases .

• Heart
I'm the very same , in bed after taking two pain. I've just felt numb all day. It's like they can put a dark cloud over you for the day . I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I'm glad I found this thread, it helps to know its not all in my head and other people have gone through similar x I hope your migraine eases .
Thank you 😊 I’m glad I found this thread too. I think one of the hardest things is my sibling not seeing the side of our mum that I do. She thinks I bring it on myself. I don’t think she’d cope either if she had to deal with it! They really do put a dark cloud over us and ruin the day. It’s so hard not to let it. But I’m going to try and stop
my mum affecting me so much x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
We really must , without feeling guilty. I just had enough one evening when my mum rang me late in the evening to say she was on the way. It was late, I was very tired and had my baby to wind down for bed. I just had enough and I said " it's very late in the evening, you can't just land at the door without preparing me, it's not one bit fair, I've the baby to put to bed etc" she hung up on me and didn't make contact for 5 weeks after that. It was the first time that I spoke my mind and put up a boundary and stuck to it! It's been tough but I tell myself every day that I was 100% right. She has been very difficult to be in contact with. Stresses me out so much 😫 I never feel I've ever been good enough, that my house isn't clean enough. I clean constant but still feel this way. She is very, very negative and I can't be around that any longer. I want to start living life. It's sad but I actually feel so guilty for feeling happy or going places

• Heart