Names you can’t stand

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t believe I’ve just remembered this! I know someone who named her son BRINDLEY

My first thought: mixture of BRADY and HINDLEY
Please please tell me you’re all as horrified my that name as I was
We have a guy who teaches is first aid and that's his name. He's in his 60s...Ithink it's a Welsh name!

I feel sorry for boys named Beau. What if they're not beau?

Likewise girls named Grace who aren't graceful.
I've met two boys named Beau, both mum's chose it because they were conceived after a miscarriage, I believe they're called rainbow babies? Of course others may have completely different reasons for choosing this name.

Reactions: 1
I've tried yo read all the thread to see if my kids names were on here but then stopped giving a duck 😂

As a midwife i hear some interesting names. I hate any name that is spelt to be "different".

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Always hated the name Alice...

Not sure why? It just doesn’t sound nice at all to me. Alicia on the other hand I think is nice. (Not pronounced AL-EE-SHA though!)
Alice always reminds me of the song. Alice, Alice, who the F##K is Alice 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
😂😂😂
that’s madness!
I am scraping the depths of my basic French school lesson knowledge but does the accent not inflect/extend the sound of the ‘E’ and thus make the third ‘E’ completely and utterly unnecessary and ridiculous!?! 🙈🙄🤷🏻‍♀️

Or are folk expected to just keep going? “Right, Dai-se-eee-EEE where is your homework?”

That’s what i imagine it sounding like.
Hopefully she reaches teens and begins spelling it Daisy.
French speaker here and you're absolutely right. This has cracked me up tbh the point of é is to make an ee sound but is only used when it's not indicated in the word which e needs to be inunciated. I assume it's the é not the è which is pronounced eh.

So it could be Daizeeeeee or daiz-eh-eee

Think Pilar is a common Spanish name? Ive heard Turkish people use it as well. Maybe it sounds different because it sounds like the english word pillar?
it's Pee-larr I believe

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I've met two boys named Beau, both mum's chose it because they were conceived after a miscarriage, I believe they're called rainbow babies? Of course others may have completely different reasons for choosing this name.
My son is Beau and I've never heard of that before

Speaking of separating your children from others with horrendous names I’ve done this 🙈 My daughter tried being friends with a Katanya! Nope, just not happening
aw come on, you can't do that - it's not the kids fault the parents saddled her with a terrible name

Reactions: 13
Come to think of it, there’s a lot of names I really like that seem to be unpopular or disliked. I think Olivia, Caroline, Michelle, Eliza, Grace, Rachel, Mya, Summer, Vanessa, Malia, Erin, Erica on their own are all really pretty for a girl even though they are overused now.
For a boy I like Shaun (NOT spelled ‘Sean’), Ben (just Ben NOT Benjamin), Adrian, Logan, Noah, Eli, Theo, Andrew.
Dominique/Dominic is one I totally love and isn’t that common but I have been told it’s too hard to spell and takes some growing into.
I guess everyone has their preferences!

Come to think of it, there’s a lot of names I really like that seem to be unpopular or disliked. I think Olivia, Caroline, Michelle, Eliza, Grace, Rachel, Mya, Summer, Vanessa, Malia, Erin, Erica on their own are all really pretty for a girl even though they are overused now.
For a boy I like Shaun (NOT spelled ‘Sean’), Ben (just Ben NOT Benjamin), Adrian, Logan, Noah, Eli, Theo, Andrew.
Dominique/Dominic is one I totally love and isn’t that common but I have been told it’s too hard to spell and takes some growing into.
I guess everyone has their preferences!
I don’t like my name but it’s nice to see someone does! 😂😂 to be fair my mum and dad were between two names and Michelle was the better of the two. Still not a fan though 😂😂

Genuine question here and not intended as a “dig / having a go”

but... why?

This really bothers me. It’s not a child’s fault their parent named them something outlandish (agreed that name is.. WOW) so why punish them in a very exclusionary way?Is this a good example to set for children? IMO this very much encourages and continues classism and prejudice. I get you dislike the name, however, that’s no reflection of what makes someone a good person.
This child also slapped my daughter across the face on a daily basis as her ‘friend’ and was vile when I met her. Maybe not the child’s fault she had that name but horrendous name and even worse attitude.

Persephone - because I just can’t pronounce it as anything but ‘Percy-phone’
Olivia - (and I’m sorry as I know due to the popularity of the name this will offend!) because I have never met a nice one 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3
Every (English) guy name beginning with J. I've never met a J who I didn't want to kick in the face

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have a son named beau, I just love it. He's 15 and I don't know many others his age range with the name, noticed a few younger with it now though
👆🏼
My friend is called Beau, he is 32. And friends daughter is called Beau also 15. It was quite rare back then. I know 5 under the age of 6

Any name that is a normal name but now has an -ly thrown in the end of it.
Gracely
Maely

also I know a girl named brynklie which is not a name imo.

I know someone who's eldest is called Annabelle and when she was a baby she used to call her baby bell 🤣🤣

Both times I was pregnant we were happy we had girls as we couldn't agree on boys names as my husband is a teacher and everyone was "no I teach/taught one and they were a dick"

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.