Names you can’t stand #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m going to be *that* person but Eilidh is Scottish, not Irish.
Being a Scot I’ve met my fair share of girls named Eilidh. Most people know how to pronounce it here as it’s common, but when folk struggle, it’s pronounced for them and then it’s never an issue.

What I hate is when people (adults) look at Irish/Scottish/Welsh or any “foreign” names and make a production like “what the hell is THAT?!?” Instead of asking politely how to pronounce their name. It’s rude as hell and makes folk just look ignorant (in my view) The examples above, is it seriously a possibility that people are naming their child eyelid?
[/QUOTE]
I have an unusual irish name and the amount of people that don’t even bother to try and pronounce it or spell it right is bleeping annoying. Whether it be personally or professionally. I call people out on it after the second time and correct them - you wouldn’t catch me calling someone very obviously called Lauren ‘Laverne’ instead😂 or when introduce myself and someone goes “ThAtS A WeIrD NaMe, HoW do YoU SAy It AgaIN?” Its a simple enough name shut the duck up. So anyone who makes a bare minimum effort to get peoples name right, thank you!!

Reactions: 11
I know two babies born this year called Hamish and Angus :sick:. Of all the lovely Scottish names to choose from how do you settle on those?

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
Can not stand the trend of Ella mae, poppy mae, sunny day!
I hate the -Mae trend too! When I was pregnant my MIL suggested Mae on the end of all the girl names I liked. Ella Mae, Isla Mae, Isabella Mae??? It really put me off girl names

My Mum wanted me to have Flora if it was a girl?? I was like 'how about i cant believe its not butter instead' 🥴

I'm glad I had a boy!!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
This 100%. I remember a substitute teacher in school doing the roll call and he got to a girl called Caoimhe, he paused and snorted and said "I'm not saying that, ridiculous" the girl was so embarrassed - even when she told him how it was pronounced he laughed again in a really derisive way. (This was a mixed religion secondary school in Northern Ireland with a majority protestant students/teachers so you can imagine how all this was perceived...)
That's so awful, a beautiful Irish name. Ignorant fool.

Cruel is a bit of a stretch. Of the things parents could do to a kid, calling them a Celtic name in England doesn’t meet that definition. 😂

I mean, are we not one big diverse “better together” nation after all? I don’t lose my mind when I come across Welsh or Irish names. If I can’t say it, I’ll ask the person how to say it. If anything, turn it into a wee conversation opener. Allow kids to make new friends and all. I don’t think that’s cruelty.

That is so tit! 😡 Honestly hope he’s not teaching still. He’ll be over run with Caoimhe’s now 😂 Just refusing to take register!
Or use the amazing thing that is the internet to find out in 2 seconds how to pronounce a name. People are just so lazy.

Just checked and I dont think mines been mentioned 🎉
I don’t like Mabel, for some reason I don’t like Henrietta or Harriet. Jayden is another. I don’t actually particularly like my boyfriends name (Peter) but I’m used to it now. I just refuse to call him Pete

Jaiden, Carson, Elsie, Callie, Charlie, Jaxson, Natasha, Joanne, Wayne, Ronnie, Ella, Gareth, Kerry, Karen, Kaiden, Maisie, Carmen, Kara, Ronan, Jane, Jake, Mai, Brian, Debbie, Norman, Caleb, Leon, Chelsea, Linda, Jacob, Kenneth, Kenzie.

That is all for now.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
At my daughters old nursery there was a chancey, Wayne and a Trevor :ROFLMAO:

My friend is receptionist and she’s told me a few strange names she’s come across

- Peculiar
- beauty
- endurance

Best one was a little boy Called Pretty-Boy :sick:

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
Olive
Mabel
Elsie
Evie
Ivy
Arthur
Ronnie
Reggie
Alfie
Archie
and all the other old time gangster pensioner names

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
It's interesting that -Mae names and similar have evolved to be considered chavvy. I remember back in 2009, a local yobbish teen girl had a baby, and called her a misspelt variant of Lily May. We actually all remarked on how not "bikey" it was! We thought it seemed original and pretty.

I guess it because it's now so common (literally, not a euphemism) that it seems "chavvy". I have met many Hyphen-Maes from all different types of parents.

I think all of these girls in the future will simply drop their post-hyphen names. It's not that bad really, all parents these days have done is draw attention to popular middle names. Back in my day, if parents had thought of hyphens, everyone my age (including me!) would be -Anne or - Marie or -Louise.

Reactions: 8
I have an unusual irish name and the amount of people that don’t even bother to try and pronounce it or spell it right is bleeping annoying. Whether it be personally or professionally. I call people out on it after the second time and correct them - you wouldn’t catch me calling someone very obviously called Lauren ‘Laverne’ instead😂 or when introduce myself and someone goes “ThAtS A WeIrD NaMe, HoW do YoU SAy It AgaIN?” Its a simple enough name shut the duck up. So anyone who makes a bare minimum effort to get peoples name right, thank you!!
[/QUOTE]
Here goes my anonymity but, my name is Lauren and in my first job an older man insisted on calling me Lorraine. I told him it wasn’t my name and that’s not how you pronounce it. He persisted and said, ‘it sounds better this way and suits you more’. I usually get Laura and I’ve had Warren before 😂 It’s usually just the dickheads who do it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Here goes my anonymity but, my name is Lauren and in my first job an older man insisted on calling me Lorraine. I told him it wasn’t my name and that’s not how you pronounce it. He persisted and said, ‘it sounds better this way and suits you more’. I usually get Laura and I’ve had Warren before 😂 It’s usually just the dickheads who do it.
[/QUOTE]
Thats not a name that's difficult to pronounce at all. Those men are doing it either for attention, to flirt with you, wind you up or to be ignorant. I'd just correct them every single time. That's what I do with the neighbours who insist on calling me my long name when I go by the shortened version and have since primary school.

Thats not a name that's difficult to pronounce at all. Those men are doing it either for attention, to flirt with you, wind you up or to be ignorant. I'd just correct them every single time. That's what I do with the neighbours who insist on calling me my long name when I go by the shortened version and have since primary school.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was very young at the time and naive. I just let it slide. That same guy though, I ended up reporting him for sexual assault, so yeah, he was a prick.

Reactions: 4
I think there are some instances where people who complain need to give more lee way when it comes to other accents. It can't be helped where an accent puts a different twist on it.
Years ago I used to work with a woman called farada (pronounced farrah duh) and she used to get annoyed with a scottish woman who pronounced it freeda.
Also another woman from overseas used to pronounce sinead, shened.
But taking the piss or making digs about names is just rude and ignorant.

[/QUOTE]
My names Scarlett and my paternal grandfather refused to call me by my name as it’s a ‘ridiculous rock star children name’ and would just call me charlotte. I’m surprised my mother didn’t kill him

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
My names Scarlett and my paternal grandfather refused to call me by my name as it’s a ‘ridiculous rock star children name’ and would just call me charlotte. I’m surprised my mother didn’t kill him
[/QUOTE]
Both scarlett and charlotte are lovely names!! 💕

The quotes have gone weird on here. Making it look like someone elses post is mine🤔

Reactions: 2
Both scarlett and charlotte are lovely names!! 💕

The quotes have gone weird on here. Making it look like someone elses post is mine🤔
[/QUOTE]
Ive been called Charlotte so many times as people just mishear you it does drive you mad in the end

Reactions: 2
I have a well-known long name, with a well-known shortened nickname. Most people call me by the shortened version, but I don't mind either way.

I have one irritating, over-familiar male friend who insists on calling me my long name, "not that contracted nonsense". Even though I don't normally care, it actually makes me feel sick the way he thinks he can take it upon himself to choose what to call me. If he'd just called me my long name and never mentioned it I wouldn't be bothered.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.