Names you can’t stand #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ebeneezer is just cruel. An ugly name with very negative connotations.

Reactions: 9
I came across somebody called Ceejay the other day. Like I don’t mind it when somebody just has letters for their name because it’s usually short for something but spelling it out phonetically as their actual name? No thanks!
I know of a child called PJ. Not short for anything - those two letters are his actual given name.

• Haha
  • Wow
This is by no means a dig (that never bodes well, I know 😂) but can someone from the UK explain to me the reasoning behind choosing a name for your kid but only using the short version? I just don't get it! If you're not going to use the long version, why call your child that? I have a friend who had a baby and said "Her name is Theodora but we'll call her Thea" (Why not actually call her Thea then?) and know a Rosemary who goes by Rosie (and same, she's never been called Rosemary by anyone in her life, not even her parents).

Reactions: 8
American swimmer Michael Phelps named his son Zoomer.😳
imagine in the age of Zoom calls being called this :LOL:

I know of a child called PJ. Not short for anything - those two letters are his actual given name.
This bizarrely reminds me of the simpsons episode where Homer wants to find out what the J in his middle name stands for, he finally finds out and it is Jay :LOL:

• Haha
This is by no means a dig (that never bodes well, I know 😂) but can someone from the UK explain to me the reasoning behind choosing a name for your kid but only using the short version? I just don't get it! If you're not going to use the long version, why call your child that? I have a friend who had a baby and said "Her name is Theodora but we'll call her Thea" (Why not actually call her Thea then?) and know a Rosemary who goes by Rosie (and same, she's never been called Rosemary by anyone in her life, not even her parents).
Because it gives the child an actual choice later down the line? And they won't have to use a cutesie nickname in a professional capacity? Giving nicknames as given names is a pet peeve of mine see: Archie, Teddy, Arnie, Jessie etc. I have a nice formal name which I like to see on paper, then a shortened version which people call me by.

Reactions: 7
I agree. My kids are known by the names on their birth certificates. It's just less complicated and less of a burden for them having to explain.
If people can call their kids apple, meadow, Jupiter, raven etc I just can't see a problem with shortened versions of names like Freddie, Teddy, Eddie being on the birth certificate.

Reactions: 2
Because it gives the child an actual choice later down the line? And they won't have to use a cutesie nickname in a professional capacity? Giving nicknames as given names is a pet peeve of mine see: Archie, Teddy, Arnie, Jessie etc. I have a nice formal name which I like to see on paper, then a shortened version which people call me by.
I honestly meant it without any malice, I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. To me, I almost associate it with having a middle name that you never use unless you're getting a new passport... I thought it might have to do with local traditions or something along those lines.
Where I'm from, it's quite common for friends to shorten your name but family members would typically use your "actual name" (as in, the one featured on your birth certificate). Personally, I just feel like parents choosing to only use the shortened version and to introduce their child to the world with that said shortened name is virtually the same as only having the short version as a name, it's not like they've discussed the name situation with their child and decided together that's how they'd be called. My perspective is probably biased by the fact that the Rosie I mentioned never uses Rosemary, not even in a professional or formal setting. Different strokes for different folks hey!

Reactions: 2
Dzyre
Jack Daniels
Keithen
Little Mike
Heaven-Leigh
Psamantha
Melanomia
Aliviyah
I’munique

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.