Mumsnet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This thread is great 🤣
<gavel> will always be my number 1 Mumsnet hate but also how they are so paranoid about the media using their incredible collective wisdom and making up threads, the snarky comment “when’s your deadline due?” is another one. Piss off!
On the packed lunch theme, I remember seeing a thread a few years ago where someone asked for child snack ideas and someone suggested quails eggs 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I hate when they have duck OFF DAILY MAIL at the top of their dull story. Like the mail or anyone else cares.

Reactions: 7
I hate when they have duck OFF DAILY MAIL at the top of their dull story. Like the mail or anyone else cares.
The mail do nick stories from them all the time though? I appreciate that writing duck off at the top doesn’t stop that however, and it’s always posters with the least interesting posts that do it, like not even the Sunday sport would make a story out of that.

However, Mumsnet might be awful at times but in my opinion the amount of men (and other assorted misogynists) who want it closed down simply because it is a place where women can talk to each other, about issues that concern them, means I have to support it.

It’s too important not to, in my opinion.

Reactions: 10
We're just moving your thread to style and beauty OP, you might get more answers to your obvious trolling to your pearl necklace conundrum there.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
On a shallow note how gutted would you be if you thought you were being gifted a pearl necklace, only to find out your fella was just planning to spunk somewhere between your tits and face. 😢

• Haha
Reactions: 6
There is currently an ‘cost of engagement ring’ thread, one of my favourites as it really brings out the craziest people.

There is one poster who claims she would be ‘mortified’ if her husband spent too much on her ring- lets be real, you wouldn’t be mortified you’d love it, and he obviously hasn’t spend a few k’s and nothing wrong with that, but don’t act like you’re above others because you have a cheaper ring and obviously your marriage means more 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3
There is currently an ‘cost of engagement ring’ thread, one of my favourites as it really brings out the craziest people.

There is one poster who claims she would be ‘mortified’ if her husband spent too much on her ring- lets be real, you wouldn’t be mortified you’d love it, and he obviously hasn’t spend a few k’s and nothing wrong with that, but don’t act like you’re above others because you have a cheaper ring and obviously your marriage means more 😆
Yeah, for some reason the cheaper and shitter your ring and wedding day were, the better person you are.

And apparently everyone who attended your dogshit wedding still rave about how much better a shot of piss and a homemade cheese straw on your driveway was than one of those awful, show-off weddings, with food music and toilets.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I sort of share this attitude about weddings. When I was approaching 30, I'm long past it now, loads of my mates got married. In a 6 month period I had 11 weddings, each invite was like a summons.
I now hate weddings, I hate the ostentatious hype of it all, i hate how much it costs me, I hate the one upmanship.
Don't understand the engagement ring cost though, come on, if it goes tits up, you want to be able to sell that thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
‘Going to aldi/Lidl for the first time, what shall I buy’, what do they think it sells ?????

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I sort of share this attitude about weddings. When I was approaching 30, I'm long past it now, loads of my mates got married. In a 6 month period I had 11 weddings, each invite was like a summons.
I now hate weddings, I hate the ostentatious hype of it all, i hate how much it costs me, I hate the one upmanship.
Don't understand the engagement ring cost though, come on, if it goes tits up, you want to be able to sell that thing.
In our 30s we were the same. Our record was 7 weddings in one year. We didn’t go to a couple of them.

The fanciest wedding I went to was absolutely awesome. The couple rented a castle for the weekend. We stayed there from the Friday - Sunday and were waited on hand and foot. Our room had a turret! The castle was really opulent and there were suits of armour in the main hallways, a beautiful library, paintings. The grounds were manicured to the nth degree. It was like a fairytale.

The marriage itself only lasted a few months.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Where we at the same wedding, Cabra? I attended one very similar, but I think its a thing. People were going crazy for castles and the K club, urgh!

Reactions: 1
Im all for anyone having any kind of wedding they want, but hate how the members on mumsnet automatically assume anyone who has spent more than ÂŁ1k on their wedding is grabby or their relationship is obviously lacking something.

a bigger wedding doesn’t make you better but neither does a quickie with no fuss

Also god forbid the topic of money gifting comes up on one the wedding threads!

people have actually said even though bride and groom have requested money (because you know its 2021 and people have already built their homelife and don’t need 5 kettles), just to spite them they have given them a gift! i mean wtf!? You’re literally wasting your money to make your petty point.

I think i had a few of those at our wedding.

i have 18 champagne flutes which I have no use for sitting in my cupboards gathering dust.

18 champagne flutes? I don’t even have 18 assorted glasses. How annoying that must have been! I’d chuck one in the fire after I use it.
Except it would just bounce back off the gas bars.

• Haha
18 champagne flutes? I don’t even have 18 assorted glasses. How annoying that must have been! I’d chuck one in the fire after I use it.
Except it would just bounce back off the gas bars.
haha it was annoying! We were ‘the greedy’ couple who asked for money, purely because in my culture its tradition to gift with gold/jewellery which we have NO use for and it would have ended up more expensive for the guests which I would have hated.

But obviously some weren’t happy with the money requests 🤷🏽‍♀️

me personally, I love money requests,
Makes it so much easier and I don’t have to stress about what to get.

Reactions: 6
The thing I always think is if you really want to witch about every aspect of someone’s wedding you shouldn’t be going. You’re not their friend. What’s wrong with just being happy for someone who obviously cares enough about you to want you to be part of their big (usually expensive) day?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
haha it was annoying! We were ‘the greedy’ couple who asked for money, purely because in my culture its tradition to gift with gold/jewellery which we have NO use for and it would have ended up more expensive for the guests which I would have hated.

But obviously some weren’t happy with the money requests 🤷🏽‍♀️

me personally, I love money requests,
Makes it so much easier and I don’t have to stress about what to get.
I know! It’s even better than a wedding list for lack of effort on my part, people who don’t like to give cash are weird. I do like a wedding though, I love a nice frock, hat dance and a piss up. Sadly I haven’t really been invited to enough to have ever got fatigued by them.....now I’m wondering why? Maybe a pound coin taped in a card isn’t enough? 😂

• Haha
Where I'm from it's now expected that you give money and perhaps a small token present too. There are no money, requests though, if an invitation doesn't have a gift list it's the done thing.
A guest is expected to give ÂŁ150/ÂŁ200 and if you're a couple about ÂŁ300. A wedding would roughly have cost me around ÂŁ1k, when you take all of it into consideration. So it is really expensive. I went to a wedding somewhere on the continent, which ended up not happening, very sad but it would have made a good thread, thankfully I'm not a witch and we just called it a holiday.

• Wow
‘Going to aldi/Lidl for the first time, what shall I buy’, what do they think it sells ?????
Funny how you never see an ‘I’m going to Iceland/Farmfoods/Home Bargain’s for the first time’ thread though isn’t?

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.