Mumsnet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was penguin here with a rocky if they were on offer 😂
I used to have a Penguin bar with my sandwiches in my packed lunch for primary school. I've just remembered my little orange lunch box I had in my earlier primary school years. I later used to have my packed lunch in the white Tesco bags with the 70s logo, a red capital T inside a circle. It's weird what you remember out of the blue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I used to have a Penguin bar with my sandwiches in my packed lunch for primary school. I've just remembered my little orange lunch box I had in my earlier primary school years. I later used to have my packed lunch in the white Tesco bags with the 70s logo, a red capital T inside a circle. It's weird what you remember out of the blue.
Primary school...Marmite sandwiches cut into the qauters, a kit kat, mini cheddars and a flask of orange juice. Winnie the pooh lunch box, royal blue. Felt envious of the kids who had yogurts or even carton drinks in their lunch boxes. My mum reckoned the yogurt my burst and leak or i may spill it on my uniform. 🤣🤣
These days she would be forced to pack fruit instead of the chocolate and cheddars.

Reactions: 2
Worse than Penguin bars were Club bars, not even real chocolate back in the day!!

Reactions: 1
Worse than Penguin bars were Club bars, not even real chocolate back in the day!!
I have put too much thought into biscuits in my time, and club to me are the rare biscuit than are nicer now than in my childhood, I think due to the chocolate improvement.

Reactions: 3
I had clubs or penguins, KP crisps and a paste sandwich on white bread. I had cordial in a Tupperware cup. Everyone ate crisps at break time. Don’t think I ever took fruit to school.

I have put too much thought into biscuits in my time, and club to me are the rare biscuit than are nicer now than in my childhood, I think due to the chocolate improvement.
yeah they changed it to real choc at some point didn’t they? Wagon wheels are still not real chocolate though, I loved them when I was pregnant!

Packed lunch threads baffle me. My kids’ school don’t interfere at all with what they bring in. I always include a tube of smarties or some haribos and crisps.

Reactions: 3
Packed lunch threads baffle me. My kids’ school don’t interfere at all with what they bring in. I always include a tube of smarties or some haribos and crisps.
Consider yourself lucky. We have a list of contraband food stuffs. Its a ballache.

Reactions: 2
Oh yes, nuts are a no no! Completely understand that. Did anyone know a child allergic to nuts when they were kids?
Its more the no crisps rule and such, imagine if your employer vetoed your lunch.

My schools sold us crisps at breaktime!

When we went to the school induction the deputy head suggested a bag of crisps as a break time snack. I remember when they had a healthy eating awareness week and a bit of fruit was suggested for playtime snacks...by the Thursday my kids decided they’d had enough fruit and took in crisps again.

When I worked as a TA, teachers were NOT allowed to confiscate (for instance) a child's phone, fidget spinner, or anything they might be playing around with and disturbing the class unless it was actually a dangerous object. But were expected to confiscate their lunches. That's not my idea of consistent discipline

I HATE it when schools faddish ideas about food such as that bread is "unhealthy" and rewarding children for not bringing sandwiches. I have a young niece and nephew, it makes me very concerned about what ideas will be put into their heads when they start school

Reactions: 8
I posted on Mumsnet for a while but didn't last long. The final straw was when they ripped apart a poor poster who was upset about not being able to see her partner at Christmas due to Covid restrictions and being in a long distance relationship. They all piled on telling her if they had a long distance relationship it wasn't real, they couldn't possibly love each other if neither of them were prepared to uproot and move to be with the other, how very date she suggest she was being hard done to etc. I was in a similar situation and it stung me to the core that they were being so vile.

I couldn't be done with all the DD, DS, DH, DDog etc, name changing because the post was "outing", and generally being very vague about where they lived (a small Northern town, handy for 2 nearby cities). Vagueness in general really, instead of giving actual examples they'd say things like "we gave our DD a traditional name, think Victoria Georgina" or the inability to talk about their DH hobbies (we all knew it was either golf or cycling but they could never admit it).

There were a few good wind up threads but some posters for far too invested in them.

Reactions: 6
Since reading this thread I’ve been dipping in and out of mumsnet just to see what the threads are like. There’s ALWAYS a bitchy comment/dig in reply to every thread!

Eg - “my daughter wasn’t invited to her cousins party even though they’re best friends, should I mention it to my brother?” cue lots of comments like “why are you trying to push them to be friends” “I would be avoiding you too if you were acting like this” “you seem way too involved it’s a bit weird”

• Haha
Reactions: 9
There’s a new thread on there with someone complaining about their 60 year old neighbours getting a hot tub. The OP is getting absolutely slaughtered ! They love a hot tub or a parking thread on mumsnet.

Reactions: 4
There’s a new thread on there with someone complaining about their 60 year old neighbours getting a hot tub. The OP is getting absolutely slaughtered ! They love a hot tub or a parking thread on mumsnet.
Hahahah I’ve just seen that one!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.