Mumsnet

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some of the replies seemed so nasty, I understand having a different view or opinion about what she was saying but they don’t seem to remember there’s a person on the end of it, going through that situation reading all the replies. One just said something like “he already has a mum, his adoptive mum, he doesn’t need another”. Can’t imagine how upset the poster must have been reading that.
Exactly!! This is what really shocks me about the site in general, how is this deemed ‘not in the spirit’ like the countless threads that are deleted every day. That poor woman was in the absolute pit of despair you could tell, it takes a certain amount of psycho for people to say she’s not a mum even though she gave birth to her son, and yet there were countless comments.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I know a few of you have commented about moving over to the Mumsnet offshoot group on Reddit. Do any of you still post there?

In my opinion, it was great fun at first to openly discuss all the things that MN would have banned us for. It felt secret and naughty, yet we were getting away with it!

However, as someone stated earlier, it all started to get a bit dark and sour. Lots of infighting started and then another offshoot group of the MN offshoot group was set up (Sounds crazy and unbelievable but it is true). Lots of snarling and insults flew between the two groups, which I found hard to understand as surely they were all on the same ‘side‘ ie anti Mumsnet?

Almost everyone was being insulted with childish jokes, some of them very bitter and some absolutely disgraceful, misogynistic barbs thrown from women to other women. Talk of the large size of certain posters’ fannies and accusations of one poster secretly being a man. It was mind boggling.

I also deregged from reddit once all the insults and infighting started. It became Mumsnet on super strong steroids. Mind you, the bulk of those Reddit posters were all banned from Mumsnet and, after a month or so on their Reddit thread, it was very easy to understand why. They were nasty, catty, mean, and downright vile - even to each other! And they were meant to be friends fighting for a common cause, ie anti Mumsnet. No wonder they all got banned from Mumsnet and assembled on Reddit.

And as for that Mango and her acolytes (aka her sock puppets), WTF was that all about? She was deranged. All sensible one minute then duck duck duck duck the next. I suspect alcohol was involved with that one but she was toxic. There was another super snarky nasty one on there, Duplassie or something. She was downright cruel and seemed to revel in goading the people who she didn’t like. She got banned in the end, thankfully. I don’t think anyone missed her. They certainly didn’t ask about where she had gone, which you would if you genuinely liked someone on a forum.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I haven't posted on it for a couple of years. I lost track of the other sub too, not sure if it got banned or made private. It was mighty uncomfortable, one minute it was D&C outrage which I was very much there for, wtf like? And in a hot minute it changed to calling out regular posters, those threads...nasty urgh! It went wrong very very quickly, it was like some sort of weird power struggle 😅
I suspect drink or something was involved for a few folks. I went on the other day for a nose around, still can't make sense of anything, but looks like there has been another split, I think the core posters have walked. Was anyone in the private group, did it exist??

I know a few of you have commented about moving over to the Mumsnet offshoot group on Reddit. Do any of you still post there?

In my opinion, it was great fun at first to openly discuss all the things that MN would have banned us for. It felt secret and naughty, yet we were getting away with it!

However, as someone stated earlier, it all started to get a bit dark and sour. Lots of infighting started and then another offshoot group of the MN offshoot group was set up (Sounds crazy and unbelievable but it is true). Lots of snarling and insults flew between the two groups, which I found hard to understand as surely they were all on the same ‘side‘ ie anti Mumsnet?

Almost everyone was being insulted with childish jokes, some of them very bitter and some absolutely disgraceful, misogynistic barbs thrown from women to other women. Talk of the large size of certain posters’ fannies and accusations of one poster secretly being a man. It was mind boggling.

I also deregged from reddit once all the insults and infighting started. It became Mumsnet on super strong steroids. Mind you, the bulk of those Reddit posters were all banned from Mumsnet and, after a month or so on their Reddit thread, it was very easy to understand why. They were nasty, catty, mean, and downright vile - even to each other! And they were meant to be friends fighting for a common cause, ie anti Mumsnet. No wonder they all got banned from Mumsnet and assembled on Reddit.

And as for that Mango and her acolytes (aka her sock puppets), WTF was that all about? She was deranged. All sensible one minute then duck duck duck duck the next. I suspect alcohol was involved with that one but she was toxic. There was another super snarky nasty one on there, Duplassie or something. She was downright cruel and seemed to revel in goading the people who she didn’t like. She got banned in the end, thankfully. I don’t think anyone missed her. They certainly didn’t ask about where she had gone, which you would if you genuinely liked someone on a forum.
It was fun and light at first , a few of us all on the same page humour wise. I felt it became a threatening dark place where you could be turned on very very quickly if you were perceived to have said the wrong thing, I left soon after.

I don’t know about a private group, I would have steered well clear of getting too close to anyone on an anonymous forum , especially there.

I was turned on in the MNTrolls Reddit sub. Bunch of twats. It was like being on AIBU on MN on acid. Didn’t go back, not even for a nosey.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

I used to go on and use it literally as it was set up for but could never make head nor tail of what all the beef was about and even when explained, it seemed like nothing really. So I backed away slowly 😂 will still pop back on especially if I spot an obvious troll on MN but am not invested enough to try and understand the in-dramas and disagree with a lot of what is posted.

Reactions: 4
They really do hate all men don’t they? Even gay men if this laughable thread is anything to go on.

Comparing drag to the Black and White Minstrels FFS! Can they not hear themselves?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I used to go on and use it literally as it was set up for but could never make head nor tail of what all the beef was about and even when explained, it seemed like nothing really. So I backed away slowly 😂 will still pop back on especially if I spot an obvious troll on MN but am not invested enough to try and understand the in-dramas and disagree with a lot of what is posted.
I'm just being nosy but there was a regular poster on there who kept flouncing - she always had Orange in her username - who posted a thread on Mumsnet about wanting to get pregnant without the consent of the man in question (I think!). Anyway, the thread was highlighted on MNTrolls and she got really upset because of course, she's not a troll. Next thing, she's pregnant, no answers as to who the babydaddy is, and she's completely disappeared. I want to know if she had the baby or was she even pregnant in the first place

Yeah I know, lockdown is addling my brain :D

• Wow
I'm just being nosy but there was a regular poster on there who kept flouncing - she always had Orange in her username - who posted a thread on Mumsnet about wanting to get pregnant without the consent of the man in question (I think!). Anyway, the thread was highlighted on MNTrolls and she got really upset because of course, she's not a troll. Next thing, she's pregnant, no answers as to who the babydaddy is, and she's completely disappeared. I want to know if she had the baby or was she even pregnant in the first place

bloody hell 😂 sounds like a totally normal thing to do. The username rings a bell but I must've missed that episode.
honestly couldn't keep up with all the breakoff subreddit finger pointing or trying to work out who was really a troll, windup merchant or just a bemused onlooker like myself lol

She came along later, I'm sure she wasn't there at the beginning or maybe I'm wrong. I must have missed the whole pregnancy thing. Couldn't work out the reasons for the flouncing and then gave up trying to work out the reasons for any of the tension. In fairness the layout of reddit didn't help with my confusion. I did find the other sub and again couldn't work out the sheer hatred from those quarters either. All very confusing on the whole.
But it appears to be rumbling on, I don't think they have a daily thread anymore or a drinking thread either. Would be interested to know the politics of the place and why it became what it did.
It did start with good intentions to discuss "that situation" as mn deleted anything in regards to it. I don't understand why mn don't allow threads like that, I actually think that type of censorship has created the volatile nature of the place. Members want to get their say in quickly before HQ hit the delete button. Tattle on the other hand doesn't censor and people are for the most part quite measured in their responses, I mean we do have our moments but its not a frantic dog fight or pile on.

Last edited:
With MN it seems posters pride themselves in the put down. There’s a scramble to be the first to post one. It doesn’t matter how upset or vulnerable the target is as long as the nasty poster can get one up on them. That mentality wrecks the whole site.

Reactions: 6

I remember that poster! I remember her because at one point she said that she hadn’t had sex in 10 or 15 years (or something like that). I didn’t know about the pregnancy thing though. Blimey 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Wow I am shocked by the pregnancy too. They hated the moldies for being a gang but then their drinking treads were always about setting them apart as a gang.
The best thing about MN troll was when someone who didn't like them posted all their usernames as baby name suggestions.

• Haha
I missed the baby name thing, thats clever :ROFLMAO:
I've hopelessly tried and failed to work out what happened and why there appears to have been another split. Regulars are gone and there is a sticky thread which includes heated responses.
The only thing I've managed to ascertain is that people where removed from the sub, sounds like a lot of members where fed up with the constant fighting. It was bizarre, I could see responses on the mn sub but couldn't find the other sub.
Must make it clear I was a voyeur rather than a particpater.

I really disliked the drinking and coffee morning threads on MNTrolls - mainly because I find the idea of having a virtual drink with strangers a lot less fun than having a real drink with friends - or just my husband during this lockdown ;) They were also very cliquey with lots of in-jokes that I never understood, and I don't like cliques because there's usually some subtle bullying going on behind the scenes.

However, give them their due, they are spot on at troll hunting, and the admin appear to be swift in deleting a thread when speculation about whether it is true or not, is insensitive. Bereavement generally.

There are some trolls on Mumsnet playing the long game though, and I am often cynical about the saga-type threads about a cheating husband or an unexpected late pregnancy or regular trips to hospital but still being able to update Mumsnet at all times.

Saga threads are the worst, wasn't someone exposed who had a "support" thread, there was a bus involved if I remember correctly. Can't remember the details. There was a sick child thread which turned out to be a troll, again can't remember the details but I was shocked by that.
I don't think I had come across trolling like that until I used mumsnet, I thought rather naively, trolling was saying horrible stuff to someone on the Internet, not these long (or short) drawn out scenarios people make up. MN seemed to attract an unusually high number of these people, many of whom had done it time and again. I guess that's the nature of a message board though.

• Heart
Saga threads are the worst, wasn't someone exposed who had a "support" thread, there was a bus involved if I remember correctly. Can't remember the details. There was a sick child thread which turned out to be a troll, again can't remember the details but I was shocked by that.
I don't think I had come across trolling like that until I used mumsnet, I thought rather naively, trolling was saying horrible stuff to someone on the Internet, not these long (or short) drawn out scenarios people make up. MN seemed to attract an unusually high number of these people, many of whom had done it time and again. I guess that's the nature of a message board though.
Seafour was the one who claimed to be partially paralysed after a surfing accident and was in and out of hospital with respiratory difficulties and constantly being resuscitated. She had a virtual bus of passengers she referred to as her buslings and an HDU was opened in her name. She had several long running threads about her precarious health.

Fixing was the one with a child who had a heart condition, her older child had already died of it, she was pregnant with child no.3 who had the same heart condition. The child that wasn't dead was in Great Ormond Street Hospital awaiting a heart transplant. Except she wasn't, because either someone with a sick child being nursed there, or someone who worked there, said there was no such child as a long term patient. She then said she'd meant to say she was at the RVI in Newcastle - an easy mistake to make ;)

All complete bollocks. Emotional vampires, the pair of them. Possibly even the same person.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
God you have some memory. I loved spotting a troll but when HQ wouldn't delete and let it run and run I got so annoyed. There was one that I've already mentioned upthread who would get deleted then name change and start again. I have my suspicions that she was the orange poster who ended up on reddit, unfounded of course.

God you have some memory. I loved spotting a troll but when HQ wouldn't delete and let it run and run I got so annoyed. There was one that I've already mentioned upthread who would get deleted then name change and start again. I have my suspicions that she was the orange poster who ended up on reddit, unfounded of course.
I haven't got a great memory - both posters have threads about them on MNTrolls :D :D

I'm not sure about the orange one, but it's not unheard of for a troll to fake a pregnancy for attention and gifts. Becca Beushausen is a good example of an emotional vampire, with her long saga of carrying her terminally ill child to term instead of having an medical abortion. She didn't post about baby April on Mumsnet although it wouldn't surprise me if she was a poster on there.

Reactions: 2
There used to be a poster called ‘expatinscotland’ who had sadly lost a child to cancer. However she was often astonishingly rude and aggressive to others on the forum and got away with due to her circumstances. it. Anyone who ever stood up to her was subjected to a pile on for daring to be mean to a ‘bereaved parent’. She was treated with kid gloves and protected by the in crowd because many of them had been through her child’s cancer journey with her and I suppose that created unique bond between them. But in my family I have people who’ve lost children in terrible circumstances and they don’t go round speaking to people like tit on their shoe.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.