Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Best I can do…

Someone once said on there they were furious their 5/6 year old child was given ‘fizz’ as a birthday party and someone replied something like ‘I’m not surprised champagne for children is disgusting, I’d be furious’ - like, you couldn’t figure out they meant lemonade or coke and no one had the bolly out for children 😂 I don’t use the word fizz/fizzy/fizzy juice but I know what they all mean because my brain hasn’t been stolen by aliens.

I’m also not Scottish but I know about the ‘whole turnip thing’ because I read, watch tv, go to Scotland and have even conversed with some Scottish people. Imagine that, leaving London and speaking to people who aren’t from London, I’m letting the whole city down.
But on Mumsnet, they aren't convinced there is anything outside of London, other than baron land. Someone was talking about nice coffee shops and got a reply mentioning a chain and said, "I'm not sure you will find them outside of London though" and I think it was Tim Hortons or similar

• Haha
Reactions: 13
But on Mumsnet, they aren't convinced there is anything outside of London, other than baron land. Someone was talking about nice coffee shops and got a reply mentioning a chain and said, "I'm not sure you will find them outside of London though" and I think it was Tim Hortons or similar
It's that Hunger Games vibe!! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
‘I’m absolutely petrified about what’s going to happen this winter. DH and I have a combined income of 60k and money is so tight right I’m wondering how we will be able to keep our heads above water? Im terrified that we will have to remove our DCs from their prep school and send them to the local primary instead, they might be bullied by children on pupil premium or they might catch nits. I’m trying to budget but with all the outgoings like school fees, the mortgage, the second mortgage we have for the holiday rental, the Tesla and the twice weekly food shop at Waitrose it’s hard to know how we will be able to stay afloat? I’m also worried about the proposed blackouts. Will I be able to use a generator to run my velvetiser?’

• Haha
Reactions: 26
‘I’m absolutely petrified about what’s going to happen this winter. DH and I have a combined income of 60k and money is so tight right I’m wondering how we will be able to keep our heads above water? Im terrified that we will have to remove our DCs from their prep school and send them to the local primary instead, they might be bullied by children on pupil premium or they might catch nits. I’m trying to budget but with all the outgoings like school fees, the mortgage, the second mortgage we have for the holiday rental, the Tesla and the twice weekly food shop at Waitrose it’s hard to know how we will be able to stay afloat? I’m also worried about the proposed blackouts. Will I be able to use a generator to run my velvetiser?’
To be fair 60k isn't a big combined income.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I was just reading the thread where the OP bought a dress from a charity shop. She intended to wear it but didn't fit, so sold on FB for £100. I really thought they would slate her for it!

Reactions: 4
I mean, it's slightly concerning that this could equally be a true post on mumsnet or a made up one on here...

• Haha
Reactions: 8
60k? Is that it! How do you cope OP? I earn 75k part time and my husband gets 500k in his very important job, I won’t say what because it’s outing, and we are struggling!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
60k? Is that it! How do you cope OP? I earn 75k part time and my husband gets 500k in his very important job, I won’t say what because it’s outing, and we are struggling!
I earn £45,000,000 a year and even I am struggling. I went to the drop in food bank and was horrified to see loaves of WHITE bread, cheap pasta and Tesco value noodles. My refined upper class palate can’t cope with such atrocities so the DC and will be going hungry again.

AIBU to suggest food banks insist on good quality donations of food in certain areas of the UK? My little one can’t cope without his quinoa and kale smoothie in the morning and I have to have fresh mango, imported from the Maldives daily, or my outing medical issues will worsen.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yet....

I remember a thread from last year where someone said that they had about 2 years salary in their account.

Only, all these posters, with their six figure incomes, were calling them a liar as nobody could ever save so much.

Reactions: 7
It's all coming out now! Regale us with your UMC signifiers and economy saving fripperies so that we can all keep one step ahead of Mumsnet!
I hope you also have a stinking Barbour, impeccable manners and know how to properly negotiate cutlery! I once heard that the eccentric upper middles liked to eat spaghetti with a spoon. I hope it is true. Swooning over you here 🤩
I have TWO stinking Barbour jackets, classic style, dontchaknow. So does that make me God tier Mumsnetter?

Love this thread btw. Mumsnet is such a guilty pleasure to read when I’m having a tit day. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Halloween must be their favourite time of the month on Mumsnet. So many spiteful women openly out on their broomsticks. It is entertaining though, all the "I'm considerably richer than you" brigade.

Has anyone suggested offering trick or treaters sprouts dipped in chocolate yet? Soooooooooooooo funny. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't get all the angst around Halloween on Mumsnet. It's NOT an American import. All you need to do a have a handful of Haribo bags by the front door on the 31st October and job done.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Another contractor/tradesman bashing thread on there today. This time asking why they always want paying in cash.l🙄

Has anyone suggested offering trick or treaters sprouts dipped in chocolate yet? Soooooooooooooo funny. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I don't get all the angst around Halloween on Mumsnet. It's NOT an American import. All you need to do a have a handful of Haribo bags by the front door on the 31st October and job done.
Yes. I often find myself repeating the fact that Halloween celebrations were taken to the US by Scots and Irish (who’ve always continued to celebrate) and it’s just the modern version of trick and treating that seems a bit invasive. We’ve always called it guising.

Reactions: 13
Yes. I often find myself repeating the fact that Halloween celebrations were taken to the US by Scots and Irish (who’ve always continued to celebrate) and it’s just the modern version of trick and treating that seems a bit invasive. We’ve always called it guising.
My Glaswegian brother in law says the same.
Mumsnet know nowt about history unless it’s London based.

Has anyone read the 'Checkmate for DD' thread in AIBU? It started with OP sharing a mildly amusing anecdote, and now it's like bleeping Lord of the Flies in there - I thought I was used to MNers being dicks to each other, but I'm reading that thread like 'what is HAPPENING?!'

I struggled not to log in and say “no wonder this place is called a nest of vipers!” I found the OP quite funny.

Has anyone read the 'Checkmate for DD' thread in AIBU? It started with OP sharing a mildly amusing anecdote, and now it's like bleeping Lord of the Flies in there - I thought I was used to MNers being dicks to each other, but I'm reading that thread like 'what is HAPPENING?!'
It's absolutely insane isn't it!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.