Mumsnet #7 Tinkly little laugh

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In my experience it was a room round the back by/off the kitchen, most likely with flagstone flooring or some sort of flooring you don't mind being trashed. It's where you kept the stinking 900 year old Barbours, the dog leads, dog toys and muddy boots, wellies etc. Where your six foot strapping young sons can divest themselves of their muddy rugby gear after a match! And guns apparently 🤷‍♀️ The naice 🤢 shoes, coats and blazers were round by the front door.

Of course neither of those posters actually have a boot room. The one designing the house probably lives on some new build estate built on green belt land and is now calling herself rural. No shame in living on a new build estate, I live on one and for a whole bunch of reasons much prefer where I live now to where I grew up in the hole of nowhere.
I think we put them down, not for living where they do (I mean, who knows!) but for how critical and aloof they come across when speaking of others. Surely they are aware that upwards of 80%/90% of the country live in either new builds, rented homes, terraced houses or estates, in various degrees of ownership. They are in cloud cuckoo land, which is apparent anytime someone begins the weekly 'MC signifiers' threads. They don't seem to understand that you wouldn't need to ask if you knew..

Anytime a thread begins asking for information about all things middle class, they hoot and holler and clamour in to feel a part of the crowd. MN'ers even admit to thinking all it's users are middle class, so they love to chat about Boden, Me&Em, etc etc, but it's all fluff. Aspiration. They might think that if they tell themselves they are a part of that club for long enough they will magically become it.

As a middle aged MC who rents (forgive the irony) I can honestly say there is no real signifier, not even home ownership anymore. Maybe education, some particular traits, but I do think MN's version of middle class is actually upper middle - we never knew anyone with those signifiers which are often trotted out. Just a few low paid teachers, and the odd doc. You read the broadsheets instead of the rags, that's all I know. My generation all wanted to appear WC because it felt more alive and authentic. I guess we are all assholes at heart ;)
MN's version of MC is very, very conservative, old fashioned. And this is the crowd on S&B who are terrified of looking dated!

So in effect they are looking down on their own, their roots, their self loathing over lost dreams. Or else it is just the state of our society, which encourages otherwise ordinary people to feel tit about their life because there's always someone doing better. If they pop on MN they have company in their misery, and can practice how to appear native to a higher class. Perhaps this makes them think others will respect and admire them. Of course in the real world, outside of a few select communities, no one gives a damn. It won't help them or make a difference anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
Someone in my office asked me to pick her up half a dozen bread cakes at lunchtime. I had to consult Dr Google to find out what they were.
That’s where you went wrong, that’s far too sensible, you should’ve stood in front of her screaming ‘what’s a bread caaaaaaake?’ until you saw the realisation that she was very working class dawn in her eyes.

• Haha
That’s where you went wrong, that’s far too sensible, you should’ve stood in front of her screaming ‘what’s a bread caaaaaaake?’ until you saw the realisation that she was very working class dawn in her eyes.
At the very least.
Also you should have started a thread in AIBU declaring your fury. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Very strane the xenia is on the what can't you afford thread? And giving advice.
At has sadly turned into an echo chamber of people saying anyone can get cheap glasses no matter their prescription and people replying with why they can't.

Reactions: 4
At the very least.
Also you should have started a thread in AIBU declaring your fury. 🤣
My fury would have been at the cheeky fuckery of her, expecting me to give up time on MY lunchbreak, to buy HER lower-class foodstuffs. I would have ensured they all know my workmate is a morbidly obese size 12 as well, so should be cutting out the carbs forever.

• Haha
My fury would have been at the cheeky fuckery of her, expecting me to give up time on MY lunchbreak, to buy HER lower-class foodstuffs. I would have ensured they all know my workmate is a morbidly obese size 12 as well, so should be cutting out the carbs forever.
Oh so you get a lunch break. [head tilt]
How naice 🤣

You know what, if you did start a thread like that, it would be believed on there 🤣

• Haha
This is a question for S&B, although being a banned member I could never ask it there. I used one of those Aldi foot peel masks about 10 days ago - and omg, my feet are sloughing off dead skin like snakes everywhere!! Do I moisturise, or just wear socks until it's all shed? Thank you all in advance for your understanding. (PS I am upper middle class, does this make a difference?)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
This is a question for S&B, although being a banned member I could never ask it there. I used one of those Aldi foot peel masks about 10 days ago - and omg, my feet are sloughing off dead skin like snakes everywhere!! Do I moisturise, or just wear socks until it's all shed? Thank you all in advance for your understanding. (PS I am upper middle class, does this make a difference?)
Moisturise AND wear socks.

Aldi though? <head tilt>

You can get perfectly decent foot peel masks made by Clarins that cost 500 times more.

Are you SURE you’re proper posh???

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Most of the MN boot room fetishists will simply see it as a convenient place to hose down the cockerpoo, display their many varieties of Zoflora and artfully arrange some mud on a pair of otherwise spotless Boden toddler wellies for the gram *said pristine wellies later to be sold on on Vinted and the like*.

• Haha
I was in M&S today and the person at the next till was asked for ID in order to buy alcohol.
I was not asked but then I wasn't buying alcohol.

AIBU? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Hi there you posh sausage, I would moisturise and wear socks at the same time, preferably overnight. As for your second question, every MN'er knows that shopping at Aldi is what our betters do, so never fear. Just don't spread too much back lab hair about the aisles.
I WAS PRIVATE SCHOOLED I use Ocado myself as I prefer to watch my meagre savings dribbling away in style.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh tit, I've actually got a black lab, have I outed myself?
It's all coming out now! Regale us with your UMC signifiers and economy saving fripperies so that we can all keep one step ahead of Mumsnet!
I hope you also have a stinking Barbour, impeccable manners and know how to properly negotiate cutlery! I once heard that the eccentric upper middles liked to eat spaghetti with a spoon. I hope it is true. Swooning over you here 🤩

• Haha
Reactions: 9
oh duck I'm a complete failure by all those standards :cool: TBF, I'm quite good at cutlery (start at the outside and work in, and dont drink the finger bowl - top tips there). And my mother did use to eat spaghetti with a spoon and fork, but I manage with just a fork and bits dribbling down my chin. duck, I'm not actually <shudder> lower middle class am I??

• Haha
Reactions: 11
oh duck I'm a complete failure by all those standards :cool: TBF, I'm quite good at cutlery (start at the outside and work in, and dont drink the finger bowl - top tips there). And my mother did use to eat spaghetti with a spoon and fork, but I manage with just a fork and bits dribbling down my chin. duck, I'm not actually <shudder> lower middle class am I??
I apply this technique to polishing off a cake.

From your description I doubt you are lower middle. You'd have to keep chickens and wear Seasalt for that. (Hides new scarf).

PS for anyone listening, I don't keep chickens or shop at Seasalt and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about either :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
But I DO keep chickens!! I dont shop at Seasalt, wear scarves, or eat much cake. I'm speshul.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
For those playing Mumsnet bingo.... ding ding ding

46276924-38D9-472C-B0C4-E8C5C038BA26.jpeg

Although gutted even the Christmas board is no longer a safe space. For years everyone has been sane on that board, it was like a totally different site. I wonder how this one got in 😭

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.