Mumsnet #6 Did you mean so be so rude?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg I actually saw the mythical “old Volvo” on the motorway on Sunday! It was packed with stuff and the driver was an elderly woman wearing a tweed jacket, and glasses with a chain. I genuinely felt like I’d seen a unicorn.

Disclaimer: I was the passenger - I wasn’t putting anyone in danger staring open mouthed at Penelope driving her mobile bin.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
They are obsessed and shouting about it all just shows that most of them have no real money, or if they do they’re all terribly nouveau riche and they just flashing cash on the obvious to be noticed. There’s a saying that ‘money talks, wealth whispers’. Truly wealthy people tend not to be that noticeable, and certainly aren’t as obsessed with the outward trappings as your typical Mumsnetter.
Really posh/old money types find it vulgar to talk about money. It’s seen a very nouveau riche and tacky.

Reactions: 8
One of my favourite threads on there was the fantasy living your life like a Jilly Cooper novel one.

For once, a genuinely funny, lighthearted thread that didn’t get derailed by bitchiness or one upmanship.

Reactions: 7
I don't understand how they all have such ridiculously dated ideas about fashion (crisp white shirt tucked into skinnies with a cashmere cardigan and statement necklace of course, very french). I'm nearly 34 and well aware of what is in fashion. I even look young enough to pull (some of) it off. I'm all for not following trends but they're supposedly mums of 3 year olds but dress like my nearly 60 year old mum, the stuff they wear has NEVER been in style for their age group.

Reactions: 12
The mat leave one. Obvious troll. It’s concerning how gullible some of the people posting on there are 🙄

ETA also the one where the OP has apparently only paid off £42k of her mortgage in 19 years and her husband’s added ‘a little bit’ every time they remortgaged. Sure..

Is there anything on there anymore that isn’t purely fantastical?
I don't think I've ever seen so skeptical about posts (there has been the odd one elsewhere that I've questioned) until I started lurking on MN.

Reactions: 6
🚨Someone just started a thread about fish and chips 🚨

So far we have ‘no one actually eats a large fish and chips though do they’ and ‘a regular portion of chips serves 2 or 3 hungry adults.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Why are people on there so obsessed with portion sizes and showing how they can feed their entirely family of three strapping huge boys on a single lettuce leave? What does it give them?

Fun fact, I ate a huge salad on the weekend because I was alone and some of the veg was slowly going limp. Laughed at myself for my massive salad and afterwards, I was hungry. I doubt that they actually eat them, much less aren't hungry after either.

Reactions: 11
I don't understand how they all have such ridiculously dated ideas about fashion (crisp white shirt tucked into skinnies with a cashmere cardigan and statement necklace of course, very french). I'm nearly 34 and well aware of what is in fashion. I even look young enough to pull (some of) it off. I'm all for not following trends but they're supposedly mums of 3 year olds but dress like my nearly 60 year old mum, the stuff they wear has NEVER been in style for their age group.
And a trench coat, they all have them as a classic piece but I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing one

Reactions: 7
And a trench coat, they all have them as a classic piece but I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing one
Then they argue over whether to belt the coat in a ‘fun way’ or a ‘classic way’ or ‘I belt it in a chic knot, think French women’.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I saw a lady in a trenchcoat on the tube last week. While it suited her, she looked a bit old-fashioned in it!

Reactions: 3
🚨Someone just started a thread about fish and chips 🚨

So far we have ‘no one actually eats a large fish and chips though do they’ and ‘a regular portion of chips serves 2 or 3 hungry adults.
Don‘t you know a large portion of fish and chips could easily feed a family of four for a week.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don't think I've ever seen so skeptical about posts (there has been the odd one elsewhere that I've questioned) until I started lurking on MN.
I also find it has made me cynical about other discussion boards I'm on. It's so endlessly trolled, I don't believe anything on there anymore.

Reactions: 8
Don‘t you know a large portion of fish and chips could easily feed a family of four for a week.
It’s a wonder they care about the cost of living crisis so much when their food shopping is £1.99 a week for a family of 6.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I suspect a few have slunk over and dragged their head wobble cliches with them. That’s what the block button is for.
Whenever I see someone on here agree with a post by saying “Quite” I automatically think they’ve come from mn 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Why are people on there so obsessed with portion sizes and showing how they can feed their entirely family of three strapping huge boys on a single lettuce leave? What does it give them?
It’s because so many of them have eating disorders and are disgusted/terrified of what most people consider normal portions.

Reactions: 10
It’s because so many of them have eating disorders and are disgusted/terrified of what most people consider normal portions.
I think a lot of them are also lying about their weight too though. There’s currently a ‘show me your (engagement/wedding) ring’ thread and if the size of the hands are anything to go by, 80% of them are overweight (not that there’s anything wrong with that btw, but I honestly think there’s a fair few on there who are living out a fantasy life where they’re a size 8, higher earner with a perfect husband and kids).

Incidentally, some of the rings on that thread are awful. Proper Christmas cracker stuff.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.