Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm currently reading a post on there about what things people have stopped buying due to cost of living increases.

People have stopped buying butter, bread and ground coffee as it's too expensive and others have stopped using the oven and only having hob or microwave meals.

One has replied saying she has stopped having baths and only has a shower and her husband showers at the Gym to save money.

It all makes for very depressing reading but I can't decide if it is or whether it's just a competition to see who can be the most extreme or the biggest martyr

Reactions: 12
I'm currently reading a post on there about what things people have stopped buying due to cost of living increases.

People have stopped buying butter, bread and ground coffee as it's too expensive and others have stopped using the oven and only having hob or microwave meals.

One has replied saying she has stopped having baths and only has a shower and her husband showers at the Gym to save money.

It all makes for very depressing reading but I can't decide if it is or whether it's just a competition to see who can be the most extreme or the biggest martyr
Surely you would save the gym membership and put it towards costs at home 🤔 I think some of them are just being dramatic

Reactions: 19
Surely you would save the gym membership and put it towards costs at home 🤔 I think some of them are just being dramatic
I mean: when I still went to the gym, yes, I did shower there, it was included in the membership and I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere before showering, but I fully agree with you: no matter how expensive things get, a gym membership is more expensive than showering at home.
And that baths aren't exactly cheap was known a long time ago, that twit probably took one every day and also runs her dryer constantly,

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I wouldn’t cut out bread, a couple of slices of toast is a meal to me if I cba cooking. On their own or with beans/cheese/fried egg if I’m feeling fancy

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Surprised people on mumsnet just don't eat to save money.

I did see someone on there say she only eats twice a week.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
There’s a current bonkers thread about an electrician moving a pot plant off a tumble drier. Mad as a box of frogs

• Haha
Reactions: 9
What winds me up is when you get posters, 12 pages into a thread, replying to things on the first page. The discussion has moved on!

Reactions: 7
What winds me up is when you get posters, 12 pages into a thread, replying to things on the first page. The discussion has moved on!
Yes that annoys me. Often the whole issue has been resolved and yet they still feel they need to insert their in their two penneth. Someone once started a thread on this very subject asking why so many posters don’t read the whole thread before commenting, and many of them said they ‘didn’t have time’ to read it all which I suppose is a fair point but one that stood out said something like ‘I will comment where and when I see fit’. They think their opinions are so bloody important that they come hurtling in all guns blazing and really don’t care that the discussion has moved on.

My brother was friends with a lady who worked in Tesco and one Christmas Eve, she told him that there had been grown women fighting over turkeys. I really do feel sorry for people who work in retail.

I've just read a little of the cut down on buying thread, some of them seem extreme and it does seem a competition to see who can live the most miserably on there.

When I was a child, we would have one day a week where we had beans or egg on toast, usually if we had an after school activity and we would arrive late home. I still sometimes do this.

My mum once saw two women fighting over a stick of sprouts in Sainsbury’s on Xmas Eve. True story.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
It’s a race to the bloody bottom on some threads
I get that so many are really, really struggling and I really feel for them, but there are some virtue signalling asshats on there!

Reactions: 8
Yes that annoys me. Often the whole issue has been resolved and yet they still feel they need to insert their in their two penneth. Someone once started a thread on this very subject asking why so many posters don’t read the whole thread before commenting, and many of them said they ‘didn’t have time’ to read it all which I suppose is a fair point but one that stood out said something like ‘I will comment where and when I see fit’. They think their opinions are so bloody important that they come hurtling in all guns blazing and really don’t care that the discussion has moved on.
Sooo annoying.
And here's the thing, they could at least read the OP's posts before wading in and repeating the exact same thing that almost every other poster has said. Even before the 'see all' function, it was possible to highlight an OP's posts on a thread.

Reactions: 2
The replies to that thread are typically sarcastic and childish, but the OP does have a point about the hierarchy who get away with murder there.

Everyone moaning about Glasto now.

‘you couldn’t pay me to go’

‘I’d rather tit in my hands and clap’

NO ONE WOULD WANT YOU AT GLASTONBURY YOU MISERABLE BINTS

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Has anyone read the “What makes you classy thread?”
Ah yes, those lower classes and their boundless knowledge of crisp flavours [mumsnet confused smiley]

With the competitive budgeting martyrs, I've been thinking about this myself and given the demographic it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them really do have very little disposable income, but it's because they have a mortgage on a massive house in the Home Counties that costs a bomb to heat. I do have a little bit of sympathy with that - it's not like you can instantly sell the house to cover your grocery bills, after all - but it's not in any way the same as being poor. Having grown up around some of those people, a subset of them have crazy amounts of liberal guilt and I can imagine they'd jump at the chance to assuage it by going on about how they can only afford one tin of beans a week (which they eat cold because it costs too much to run the microwave) :rolleyes:

Reactions: 8
Ah yes, those lower classes and their boundless knowledge of crisp flavours [mumsnet confused smiley]

With the competitive budgeting martyrs, I've been thinking about this myself and given the demographic it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them really do have very little disposable income, but it's because they have a mortgage on a massive house in the Home Counties that costs a bomb to heat. I do have a little bit of sympathy with that - it's not like you can instantly sell the house to cover your grocery bills, after all - but it's not in any way the same as being poor. Having grown up around some of those people, a subset of them have crazy amounts of liberal guilt and I can imagine they'd jump at the chance to assuage it by going on about how they can only afford one tin of beans a week (which they eat cold because it costs too much to run the microwave) :rolleyes:
Of course a tin of beans would last a year anyway with all the bird like appetites on MN. 😉

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.