Mumsnet #5 Cancel the cheque

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to work at H.Samuel, one woman had a strop because we wouldn’t let her try on earrings because of hygiene reasons lol she was with her teenage daughter who looked a bit embarrassed. Then had another woman storm out because the bracelet she wanted to buy was more expensive than she thought it would be, that was an odd one. Her husband apologised. Man, I hated retail lol
Yeah, whoever said the customer is always right has never worked with the general public!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I had really nice service in H Samuel lately. I was buying a silver, diamond and amethyst ring. The price was amazing for what it was. Turned out it had been wrongly priced at about half the correct price. The salesman gave it to me for the reduced price. I checked online later and it was definitely a huge bargain.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I used to work in a supermarket in my late teens and OMG, the people who used to plonk their basket on your conveyor belt and expect you to unpack it for them were the absolute worst.

Also remember a customer having a go at me because we’d run out of mince pies. It was about an hour until closing time on Christmas Eve 🖕
I’d never seen anyone plonk a basket on a conveyor belt without unpacking it until I worked for M&S. Didn’t realise that was something other people would do either so thanks for sharing! The one I served was terrible. I wonder what goes through their heads seeing as pretty much everyone else unpacks their basket. I think with M&S this sort of customer expected some ridiculously lofty level of service because it was M&S, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: 7
I used to work in a supermarket in my late teens and OMG, the people who used to plonk their basket on your conveyor belt and expect you to unpack it for them were the absolute worst.

Also remember a customer having a go at me because we’d run out of mince pies. It was about an hour until closing time on Christmas Eve 🖕
That reminds me of when I worked in Argos and so many people had clearly left all of their present shopping until about 5pm on Xmas eve. They’d then scream and shout at us because we didn‘t have what they needed and we’d ruined their kids Xmas. Well no actually you’ve ruined it by leaving it till the last minute.

• Wow
Reactions: 20
That reminds me of when I worked in Argos and so many people had clearly left all of their present shopping until about 5pm on Xmas eve. They’d then scream and shout at us because we didn‘t have what they needed and we’d ruined their kids Xmas. Well no actually you’ve ruined it by leaving it till the last minute.
I had a :rolleyes: moment with a relative a few years back, who was ranting because the courier hadn’t delivered what was meant to be the main present for his son on December 23rd. I asked him when he’d ordered it and he said the day before! Knowing him of old that would have simply been to see if the price came down. Always was his trouble - he was a tightwad.

Reactions: 8
Men, so many men. As I serenely glided into the beauty products shop last 24th Dec I was amused to see it absolutely rammed with blokes, some looking confused, others like me simply admitting ignorance and going straight to the first available assistant to ask variations on “what will my daughter / girlfriend / wife / mum like ?”. The shop assistants were the only women in the place.

Reactions: 3
I used to work for Next Directory & the amount of times I was yelled at for ruining Christenings, Weddings, Birthdays, Xmas because people ordered at the very last minute 🙄

This is an old thread, but I'd love to know who the author is. Someone itt worked it out with the info provided, but didn't post her name unfortunately.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I hated retail with a passion. I was once yelled at by a disgruntled customer who made a huge song and dance about how I had wasted her time, her bus fare and her SHOE WEAR on the wasted journey to collect an order that hadn't arrived on time. Lunatic.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
There is a thread at the moment about things you have cut down on buying because of the price increase. Honestly it's like a race to the bottom. People saying they can no longer afford to use the oven or switch on lights! I understand that might be the case but why does everything always have to be so extreme on MN.

Reactions: 17
My awful mother is one of THOSE customers. She was giving an Argos employee, Elizabeth Duke counter, a hard time when they decided they’d had enough and put on their coat and walked out. When my mother told me the story I was 100% on the server’s side.

There were plenty of times I’ve been with her and wished I could do the same!

Reactions: 9
There is a thread at the moment about things you have cut down on buying because of the price increase. Honestly it's like a race to the bottom. People saying they can no longer afford to use the oven or switch on lights! I understand that might be the case but why does everything always have to be so extreme on MN.
There was one a while back who was scared about the cost of living and heating etc and wanted to know how to improve their house to hold heat better.

Anyway she painted a bleak picture. They'd moved into the house and the house was double glazed but had no curtains or carpets as they can't afford them yet and were hoping to afford curtains before winter.

People saying buy a large off cut to see them through and how it must be awful having floorboards and not being able to afford carpet.

Few posts later, she then says they have carpet in the bedrooms but the rest of the house is hardwood flooring so not quite the bare floorboards she was implying.

They are so desperate to let you know they earn 6 figures but also are so poor, they have to make a weeks shopping last a month

• Wow
There was a thread on there earlier about having to move house because her insta famous neighbour was so awful. Didn't say who she was other than they live in London and she's a Hinch type 'grammer with a thread on Tattle. Curious to know who it was!

Reactions: 5
I feel people are just turning things like this into a competition. Very sad.

There's a thread on here about the rising costs in fuel, etc. It doesn't seem to be that extreme there and a tad more civilised.

I dont know why, I don't believe it.

Nothing on that site seems believable though, its always very dramatic.
Yeah, I often feel like that too. Though some truly whacky stuff on there has been revealed to be true. So, I'm following for now!

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.