Mumsnet #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
duck's sake, Mumsnet. Thought I'd have a horror-look at the dieting boards as I thought I'd remind myself of what not to do/danger talk.

1 poster: Intermittent fasting with the 'extended' version - 'I do occasionally eat a couple of grains of salt'

Another poste: [posted on a Monday] 'Today's eating window closed at about 8pm and won't open until about 10am on Friday.'

Poster 3: [posted on one day] 'Kitchen closing on 568'. [posted the following day] ' I'm fricking STARVING today. Eaten half my sandwich'
[Same poster who has now had 568 kcal and half a sandwich in 48 hours] 'I really struggle to get to sleep on fast days sometimes. Even worse on b2bs. Not sure what the solution is really' [the following day] 'a planned menu of c.680'.

What the duck do you think the solution might be if you can't sleep because you're bleeping starving? There might be a clue there. Just a little one. Think about it...

And then there was the calorie counting woman who has been having fuckall since 2 weeks after her baby was born (now 6 weeks old), walking 5k a day, complaining that she's tired, is breastfeeding and isn't really enjoying the baby and toddler because she feels like crap. The first response was to tell her she isn't moving enough and needs to do at least 15,000 steps a day. At least a couple of posters said give it up and enjoy the baby, but really?
feels like there should be some kind of forum rules for the mods to intervene on these posts. They’re egging each other on in worrying eating and exercise habits. Maybe the mods could post some links to BEAT?

Reactions: 8
feels like there should be some kind of forum rules for the mods to intervene on these posts. They’re egging each other on in worrying eating and exercise habits. Maybe the mods could post some links to BEAT?

They won't even post NHS guidance on chest pain on threads where the person has got symptoms of a possible heart attack and posters are telling them that it's just anxiety. They're not going to pick up on the pro-ANA posts because they form so much of their site traffic on pretty much all the boards.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Sad thing is, the builders they look down on with contempt probably have more money than they do and that's what they equate to be anything above working class. Their husbands are also huge earners and joint incomes are ridiculous

I always want to post that while they think they are something with their huge joint incomes, their husbands all seem to be useless pricks according to them so I'd rather be working class and happy in my marriage!
I remember a thread where the OP was pretending to wring her hands over the fact she was an academic and that the plumber she 'employed' was probably awfully self-conscious about being her inferior. I LOVED the posters who scrambled to point out that he was absolutely bleeping coining it compared to her and if anything he probably felt sorry for her 😂

More tone deaf class bollocks
It is. However I find it to true! Without sounding like a total head, I went to school with mostly upper-middle class, upper class and even elite class (through no fault of my own, I swear 😂) and the most thrifty, even to the point of being downright scruffy were richest. My mum used to say to me she couldn't understand having all that money and not enjoying it. Then again my mum grew up frugal out of necessity which is why she couldn't get her head round it.

Last edited:
I remember a thread where the OP was pretending to wring her hands over the fact she was an academic and that the plumber she 'employed' was probably awfully self-conscious about being her inferior. I LOVED the posters who scrambled to point out that he was absolutely bleeping coining it compared to her and if anything he probably felt sorry for her 😂

It is. However I find it to true! Without sounding like a total head, I went to school with mostly upper-middle class, upper class and even elite class (through no fault of my own, I swear 😂) and the most thrifty, even to the point of being downright scruffy were richest. My mum used to say to me she couldn't understand having all that money and not enjoying it. Then again my mum grew up frugal out of necessity which is why she couldn't get her head round it.
Reminds me of that posh chocolate thread with all the posters trying to out do each other on their taste in chocolate. A proper upper class person would probably be scoffing after eights and drinking gordons gin

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Reminds me of that posh chocolate thread with all the posters trying to out do each other on their taste in chocolate. A proper upper class person would probably be scoffing after eights and drinking gordons gin
Oh God I can imagine, 'I would only consider merely sniffing hand-poured custom crafted chocolate from Belgium made from 99% Aztec cocoa beans, flown in on a private plane and given royal approval, but oh, I wouldn't eat one how common!'

• Haha
I have noticed that the way a post goes is hugely dependent on who gets to respond first. If a “reasonable/sane” poster gets there first then you’ve got half a chance of some level headed replies, but more often than not you get the far end of the spectrum responses who seem to send out a bat signal to the rest of the cray-crays who flock and completely dismember the post - often taking OP with it.
This is spot on!

Reactions: 7
‘How much homework do your dc get a week’

well OP my dd are at GRAMMAR school and get approximately five hours a night which they squeeze in between county level sports practice. To be honest I am getting fed up with the multitude of requests for them to model too as although they are vair beautiful, clever, popular and witty, they don’t have time.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
duck's sake, Mumsnet. Thought I'd have a horror-look at the dieting boards as I thought I'd remind myself of what not to do/danger talk.

1 poster: Intermittent fasting with the 'extended' version - 'I do occasionally eat a couple of grains of salt'

Another poste: [posted on a Monday] 'Today's eating window closed at about 8pm and won't open until about 10am on Friday.'

Poster 3: [posted on one day] 'Kitchen closing on 568'. [posted the following day] ' I'm fricking STARVING today. Eaten half my sandwich'
[Same poster who has now had 568 kcal and half a sandwich in 48 hours] 'I really struggle to get to sleep on fast days sometimes. Even worse on b2bs. Not sure what the solution is really' [the following day] 'a planned menu of c.680'.

What the duck do you think the solution might be if you can't sleep because you're bleeping starving? There might be a clue there. Just a little one. Think about it...

And then there was the calorie counting woman who has been having fuckall since 2 weeks after her baby was born (now 6 weeks old), walking 5k a day, complaining that she's tired, is breastfeeding and isn't really enjoying the baby and toddler because she feels like crap. The first response was to tell her she isn't moving enough and needs to do at least 15,000 steps a day. At least a couple of posters said give it up and enjoy the baby, but really?
Those dieting boards are absolutely awful. The amount of posters that are obsessed with not going over the magical 1200 cals a day - despite the fact that (for most people) this really isn’t a long term and healthy way to lose weight.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There was a post on the relationship thread a few days back. Poster had been shagging her new guy but he wasn't able to climax so she was looking for advice.

The MN brigade all congratulated her on finding a guy that didn't make the sheets 'icky'

What the actual duck!

Imagine if it were the other way round and a poster was saying she couldn't orgasm. Her partner would be accused of gaslighting and being manipulative and she better get her ducks in a row to leave

On a slightly different note the middle class uniform posters are giving clothes brand suggestions. Lots, thankfully I'd never heard of. There is one called Cabbage and Roses and yes it's a tit as you would imagine.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Or a milk maid circa 1800

• Haha
Reactions: 2
That Cabbage and Roses outfit with the hat reminds me of the dress and hat Maria wore in The Sound of Music when she first goes to the Von Trapp house 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I just love how they will always try to outdo each other in every way.

For example someone will ask about how much toilet roll they use in a day. Then will say they use around 2 as they have kids and a husband.

One user will reply with they only use 1 roll a week and only need 1 square per person a day, and if you use anymore than that you’re using too much, you will destroy the toilet and just throwing money down the toilet.

Then another will chip in and say they use 12 a day because their family wipe their arse every 5 minutes to ensure their hole is sparkling clean.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

For example someone will ask about how much toilet roll they use in a day. Then will say they use around 2 as they have kids and a husband.

One user will reply with they only use 1 roll a week and only need 1 square per person a day, and if you use anymore than that you’re using too much, you will destroy the toilet and just throwing money down the toilet.

Then another will chip in and say they use 12 a day because their family wipe their arse every 5 minutes to ensure their hole is sparkling clean.
Spat my drink out 😅

Nah, Lidl or Aldi. No one notices when it's in a cut-glass decanter inherited from your great-grandfather.

Reactions: 4

Clean arse Olympics.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.