Mumsnet #26 Fanny wafts and meany pegs, what goes on in mumsnetters heads?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They’re touting bloody gro-ckocks on there again like it’s the invention of the wheel.

‘gro clocks are amazing OP! Ours used to wake up at 5am and crash into our room demanding to eat coco pops and be taken to soft play but since we put a gro clock in she sleeps until 7. She will quietly pad down the hallway to check we are awake but if not she’ll simply unwrap a brioche and read her collection of classic stories. It’s been life-changing!’

FML honestly, the boy I nanny for has a gro clock and by day 2 would simply flick the switch off at the wall at 4:45am and say it’s not red anymore, TIME TO GET UP

• Haha
Reactions: 20
They’re touting bloody gro-ckocks on there again like it’s the invention of the wheel.

‘gro clocks are amazing OP! Ours used to wake up at 5am and crash into our room demanding to eat coco pops and be taken to soft play but since we put a gro clock in she sleeps until 7. She will quietly pad down the hallway to check we are awake but if not she’ll simply unwrap a brioche and read her collection of classic stories. It’s been life-changing!’

FML honestly, the boy I nanny for has a gro clock and by day 2 would simply flick the switch off at the wall at 4:45am and say it’s not red anymore, TIME TO GET UP
My youngest did that. I went in and told her she needed to stay in bed until the clock turned yellow. She reached out, clicked on the day display and beamed at me. Smartarse.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
My Great Granny was called Beryl.
I wonder if the name Mavis will ever re-emerge? Or Pamela, Joanne, Diane, Heather, Lesley, Christine, Margaret, Judith and other 60's and 70's baby names?
Most who use Mavis is for their dog. Have worked with a few Heather over my 30 years in childcare. There were a few Pamela’s in my children’s school. Have come across the odd Margaret too.

Reactions: 1
The university offers one annoy me, specifically the ones based on predicted grades. Your kid hasn’t actually achieved anything yet, pipe down with the boasting until they actually get in.

Reactions: 11
The university offers one annoy me, specifically the ones based on predicted grades. Your kid hasn’t actually achieved anything yet, pipe down with the boasting until they actually get in.
My boss once told me with a totally straight face that she was so worried about her friend whose daughter hadn’t done enough to get the predicted grades for an oxbridge interview. I said oh dear. ‘Yes,’ said my boss, and dropped her voice to a thin whisper and looked about to check weren’t being overheard.

‘We’re afraid she might have to consider….

(I’m thinking what? The military? Repeating a year? Getting a job?)

THE UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL

At which point I burst out laughing. I just can’t with these types. Do they not realise what an utter privilege it is to go to university at all?! And Bristol is a really good one!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
My boss once told me with a totally straight face that she was so worried about her friend whose daughter hadn’t done enough to get the predicted grades for an oxbridge interview. I said oh dear. ‘Yes,’ said my boss, and dropped her voice to a thin whisper and looked about to check weren’t being overheard.

‘We’re afraid she might have to consider….

(I’m thinking what? The military? Repeating a year? Getting a job?)

THE UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL

At which point I burst out laughing. I just can’t with these types. Do they not realise what an utter privilege it is to go to university at all?! And Bristol is a really good one!!!
They are unbelievable. You’d think that going to any uni except Oxbridge meant a life on the dole the way they bang on

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The one about the neighbour’s rude reaction to a gift has baffled me, why would you spend £70 on it, why not just a card or something? And she said she isn’t close to any of the neighbours, yet then said the neighbour messaged her? Bloody weird 🤨

Reactions: 4
They are unbelievable. You’d think that going to any uni except Oxbridge meant a life on the dole the way they bang on
How could the parents ever show their faces in civilised company ever again, with a daughter at Bristol?

The best thing was the daughter fucked it all off anyway and went and lived on the beach and sold seashell necklaces in Bali or something, the parents probably ordered her obituary to be printed in the local paper after that.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
The one about the neighbour’s rude reaction to a gift has baffled me, why would you spend £70 on it, why not just a card or something? And she said she isn’t close to any of the neighbours, yet then said the neighbour messaged her? Bloody weird 🤨
I think they swapped numbers in case further info was needed for insurance, which I understand. But the rest of it is batshit.

I’ve now read the word jowls so frequently it no longer makes sense or sound like a word 😂

Jowls

what I love about mn and Botox/fillers is that it’s awful and obvious, except for their own which is so magically subtle no one can tell.

I lip read so I reckon I pick up on it more often than most. It’s often unnoticeable until the person starts speaking.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
They’re so edgy don’t you know.… it won’t be long before Barbara, Margaret, Maureen and Joan have a resurgence in popularity at this rate!
I work in a Children’s outpatients/ward and we have recently had a few baby Barbara’s, Maureen’s and a Joan…

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Read this last night with my mouth hanging open rather unattractively. If she really dropped £70 on a gift for a neighbour (finding it very hard to believe) the phrase 'more money than sense' springs to mind. Wouldn't mind her moving next door though 😃

• Haha
Reactions: 5
There’s a thread in Work where the OP’s colleague has confessed they’ve only been working 2/3 of their contracted hours (and getting paid for the full amount) for years and the amount of posters telling her to keep her nose out of it because we’re in a cost of living crisis is staggering.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.