Mumsnet #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On a thread where someone calls Louboutins "common" and brags of having several pairs but now not knowing what to do with them, someone else responded with: "Only on Mumsnet would shoes worth hundreds be seen as common." We do like a bit of self-awareness :)
Probably can't afford the real thing, furiously typing on their laptops whilst staring wistfully at their heels with red painted on the soles

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I'm planning a wedding at the moment and this annoys me. I don't care if you got married in your lunch break, wearing your overalls from work, had a quick McDonald's and back to the job. If that's your dream wedding, great! But others are free to spend their money on whatever they want
What the hive mind if MN don't understand, everybody is different and everybody has the right to do what makes them happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

So I'll keep wearing black tights with white trainers and a brightly coloured dress. I will not ever wear a statement necklace or a statement scarf (whatever that is) and I will enjoy my expensive wedding rings and look back a photos of my wedding cakes on my wedding day.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I used to laugh at the can I leave the kids in the car while I pay for petrol threads. Some of the posters were nuts. Cars blowing up was given as a reason and you getting knocked down returning to the car after paying for petrol (ignoring the fact that if you were carrying a child they would be also knocked down.

I wonder how many 112 calls start with ‘someone on mumsnet advised me to ring’ 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I used to laugh at the can I leave the kids in the car while I pay for petrol threads. Some of the posters were nuts. Cars blowing up was given as a reason and you getting knocked down returning to the car after paying for petrol (ignoring the fact that if you were carrying a child they would be also knocked down.

I wonder how many 112 calls start with ‘someone on mumsnet advised me to ring’ 🤪
Tsssk don‘t you know that cars blow up in petrol stations all the time..😉😂

Theres a thread on there at the moment from someone asking for meals you can make for a family when you are broke and While there are some very helpful suggestions some are obviously clueless about being poor. One suggests using ham hock and another a pasta recipe with Parmesan! I mean ffs when you are on the bones of your arse you’d be lucky to be able to afford a packet of Walls wafer thin ham and a block of Cathedral City! Parmesan and Ham Hock are luxury items IMO. They really do piss me off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
And fish pie mix so my sister was telling me earlier. That’s £3-4.99 which is expensive if you’re on a budget.

Some of them really don’t live in the real world. Poor to some mumsnetters means living off your savings for a while or putting the Ocado/Waitrose groceries on the credit card, they’ve never experienced how demoralising and soul crushing it actually is and lying awake at night, how you’re going to afford to pay the gas bill and the kids need new school shoes but you can’t afford both.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
They all have ‘seriously hot husbands’ too. Depends what your idea of seriously hot is.
These ppl think that centre parcs is the pinnacle of luxury & good taste tho so cannot be trusted. Their husbands are spending their screen time writing motivational sob stories on LinkedIn and yearning for the toxic office culture of yesteryear cos they want to bully a slightly less senior sales team member in person.

16EF91BD-4BEF-460F-96AA-46B5E56A9EC9.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 20
My dad’s friend once took his three children to Center Parcs when they were children and he wasn’t impressed with it. He said it was like being mugged for your wallet as soon as you walked in. The only activity that was free was the swimming, everything else had to be paid for.

Bum sex is also “hilariously” mentioned in most Center Parcs threads.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My dad’s friend once took his three children to Center Parcs when they were children and he wasn’t impressed with it. He said it was like being mugged for your wallet as soon as you walked in. The only activity that was free was the swimming, everything else had to be paid for.

Bum sex is also “hilariously” mentioned in most Center Parcs threads.
The biggest reason people want to go is so they can say Centre Parcs 500 times per day in the lead up. It’s bizarre, I’ve never felt the need to specify where I’m going on holiday beyond country / city, I’d never say the hotel or rental property’s specific name as that’s tacky? Yet the centre parcs huns thrive on it 😭

• Haha
The Centre Parcs thing goes over my head. I used to think it was a holiday camp under a gigantic perplex bubble (bit like the Eden Project) so that if it rains all the activities can carry on. I thought that was it’s USP. But recently found out that isn’t the case. Never understood the “kudos” given to it by MN, even less so now I know it is a holiday camp with nothing extra to define it from other camps. And then the clique alludes to sexual activity- I don’t know what all that is about.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
They all have ‘seriously hot husbands’ too. Depends what your idea of seriously hot is.
I've worked in law firms with these men my entire career and can confirm 99% of them are duck ugly and the ones who aren't are arseholes who think beige chinos are the pinnacle of fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
The Centre Parcs thing goes over my head. I used to think it was a holiday camp under a gigantic perplex bubble (bit like the Eden Project) so that if it rains all the activities can carry on. I thought that was it’s USP. But recently found out that isn’t the case. Never understood the “kudos” given to it by MN, even less so now I know it is a holiday camp with nothing extra to define it from other camps. And then the clique alludes to sexual activity- I don’t know what all that is about.
That’s what I thought Centreparcs was like too! 🤣 I was quite disappointed it wasn’t actually under a giant dome.
I have a friend that goes every year and I just don’t get the appeal. To me, it sounds like a Haven/Butlins for the middles class. It’s soooo expensive for what it is. No wonder they love it on MN.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've worked in law firms with these men my entire career and can confirm 99% of them are duck ugly and the ones who aren't are arseholes who think beige chinos are the pinnacle of fashion.
I’ve been wracking my brain to think of *any* hot man over 40 I’ve ever worked with and I’m struggling. The exceptions are very very big dogs in media (who arguably straddle the bridge between public figure in their own right and company X employee?) who are clearly getting tweakments and facials etc, and gay men. Straight middle aged men age like milk in the sun because they’re too arrogant to do anything & I don’t think the mumsnet huns’ stash of Elemis can reverse their tragic fate.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
When your weekly ticket to work in London is 150 a week with one train a hour during rush hour we need as much London weighting as possible
I asked a friend about this and, once she finished laughing, said she hadn't seen a job advertised with LWA in *years*. I was quite shocked as I remembered it being the thing when looking at London jobs, starting out myself about a decade ago.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve been wracking my brain to think of *any* hot man over 40 I’ve ever worked with and I’m struggling. The exceptions are very very big dogs in media (who arguably straddle the bridge between public figure in their own right and company X employee?) who are clearly getting tweakments and facials etc, and gay men. Straight middle aged men age like milk in the sun because they’re too arrogant to do anything & I don’t think the mumsnet huns’ stash of Elemis can reverse their tragic fate.
I can think of one - a very nice, nicely dressed, down to earth senior lawyer I used to work for. He used to canvas for the Labour Party in his spare time, so it might have just been the fact he cared about people other than himself that made him attractive to be honest 😂.

Otherwise they mostly seem middle aged before their time. Like the women in the Mumsnet outfit threads.

• Haha
  • Heart
That’s what I thought Centreparcs was like too! 🤣 I was quite disappointed it wasn’t actually under a giant dome.
I have a friend that goes every year and I just don’t get the appeal. To me, it sounds like a Haven/Butlins for the middles class. It’s soooo expensive for what it is. No wonder they love it on MN.
This is what’s confused me, I’ve not been but local NCT mums go on and on and then you see the Insta posts and it’s a child on a small wooden play frame 🥴 like I’d be up for going as it’ll be cheaper and so much easier than European holidays but it just looks so tit?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
This is what’s confused me, I’ve not been but local NCT mums go on and on and then you see the Insta posts and it’s a child on a small wooden play frame 🥴 like I’d be up for going as it’ll be cheaper and so much easier than European holidays but it just looks so tit?
I think if you’re considering Centreparcs, it’s actually cheaper to go to a CP abroad. The prices here absolutely rocket in school holidays, but if you go to one of the European ones that have different school holidays, it’s a lot less. Apparently somewhere like Belgium? I haven’t looked into this too deeply though, because as I said, I can’t see the appeal personally 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I asked a friend about this and, once she finished laughing, said she hadn't seen a job advertised with LWA in *years*. I was quite shocked as I remembered it being the thing when looking at London jobs, starting out myself about a decade ago.
Well all the public service jobs include london weighting, they have informed all DOH, NHS I X E and DHSC staff if they do not return to the office they will remove it. Staff elsewhere in the country doing the same job do not get the same rate, hence the distance that many staff travel into London

Reactions: 3
I think if you’re considering Centreparcs, it’s actually cheaper to go to a CP abroad. The prices here absolutely rocket in school holidays, but if you go to one of the European ones that have different school holidays, it’s a lot less. Apparently somewhere like Belgium? I haven’t looked into this too deeply though, because as I said, I can’t see the appeal personally 😆
Oh bless thank you, no I think it’ll be a hard pass purely as I don’t want to be around the huns going purely to stunt on WhatsApp groups and Insta!

Well all the public service jobs include london weighting, they have informed all DOH, NHS I X E and DHSC staff if they do not return to the office they will remove it. Staff elsewhere in the country doing the same job do not get the same rate, hence the distance that many staff travel into London
Yep I’ve only seen it on public sector roles, these tend to be (criminally) underpaid and the weighting is woefully inadequate. I think a lack of London weighting is making it harder to hire junior or mid weight candidates in my sector as they’d earn the same up north and have a significantly better quality of life versus house shares and tit landlords. London’s not even as appealing anymore for young people tbh it’s been gentrified and sterilised to duck.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.