Mother Pukka - Anna Whitehouse

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
“Living with postpartum psychosis for 18 months”. That’s just loads of lies right there. I’m no therapist but a psychosis episode is by definition short-term and intense. Just a quick research will tell you that if a psychosis episode last for longer then weeks it can be then something else like schizophrenia. That’s really the nail in the coffin for Grazia. I knew they were shite but between publishing that story that doesn’t hold up to facts and having now Candice as a contributor, a former Pimp this is just too much. You would wonder if the editor is not herself/himself an insta twit who’s just having friends over to write tit.

Reactions: 18
If she truly had ppp , she would have been an inpatient from the outset ( and it presents within first few weeks of childbirth) - it's a psychiatric emergency and not to be mixed up with pnd The way this is playing out, I've lost all respect for MP now

Reactions: 14
There is research out there that shows that for some women the first postpartum psychosis episode leads to the onset of a lifelong psychiatric disorder with recurrent relapses into mania, psychotic episodes or severe depression. Maybe this is more what has happened with her? However, I think it's not possible to consider this to still be postpartum psychosis as reoccurrence often happens outside of the postpartum time frame. But I suppose if it happens more than once within the first year then it would still be classed as ppp, if that makes sense? Either way, my issue is still (as others have said) that she's thrown that diagnosis out there in an almost flippant way which totally negates the seriousness of the condition.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
There is research out there that shows that for some women the first postpartum psychosis episode leads to the onset of a lifelong psychiatric disorder with recurrent relapses into mania, psychotic episodes or severe depression. Maybe this is more what has happened with her?
I don't mean to demean those with mental health issues and I don't doubt she has had some but what has happened to her is she needs to flog a book and decided to jump on a bandwagon to gain more publicity. She should, quite frankly, be ashamed.

Reactions: 11
So many thoughts on this and the way it has been reported / communicated. I had severe perinatal OCD (around illness and harm) which very nearly broke me - particularly in the post natal period. It sent me under, as I genuinely thought I was going ‘mad’ and questioned my sanity on a daily basis, it was such a dark, dark time for me and my family. One of the things I was petrified (as part of the OCD) about was developing PPP because I was having terrible intrusive thoughts and thought that no one in their right mind could be thinking the things I was thinking (I was genuinely terrified of my own head). Anyway to cut a long story short I am very disappointed and questioning why Anna has not shared more specifics on how this awful illness (PPP & PND) manifested and presented itself. My issue is similar to a previous poster’s comment about lack of details on this, especially as she has chosen to go public with her experience. I am not questioning her illness or integrity, I am questioning the reasons and thinking behind her releasing this story with very little by way of information. Maybe I am
personalising this due to my own experience... but to skim over PPP is at worst irresponsible and at best unhelpful. PPP (as others have said) is a severe illness which generally presents within the first couple of months and requires emergency treatment and care. The aftermath of depression, anxiety and trauma that occurs after the initial episode is another major hurdle to overcome and can take years to gradually get better. As I said above, I am not questioning the illness and her experience, but I do feel it would be helpful of her to have shared a few more details of symptoms and examples especially as she made the announcement - nobody has forced her. I want to stress this is not because I am nosy, it’s because she has a big platform and audience which means she could do a lot of good. She wouldn’t have to be the poster girl or anything like that... If I was to share my experience of PN OCD and PND I would be making damn sure my audience knew the details of what to look out for so that they could seek help.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
@Badabing101 Totally agree. While I think signposting people to the psychology mum is a really valuable resource, it’s not treatment! (Btw I don’t think she advertises her IG as this in any way). This was a golden opportunity to give some information on PPP (which is generally not well understood and has so much shame and stigma attached) and this was sadly missed.

I was looking back through her feed at her posts during the 18 months she talks about ‘not being there’ - I feel like tit now, she’s achieved more than that time than I have with PND. Her narrative isn’t helpful.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
So many thoughts on this and the way it has been reported / communicated. I had severe perinatal OCD (around illness and harm) which very nearly broke me - particularly in the post natal period. It sent me under, as I genuinely thought I was going ‘mad’ and questioned my sanity on a daily basis, it was such a dark, dark time for me and my family. One of the things I was petrified (as part of the OCD) about was developing PPP because I was having terrible intrusive thoughts and thought that no one in their right mind could be thinking the things I was thinking (I was genuinely terrified of my own head). Anyway to cut a long story short I am very disappointed and questioning why Anna has not shared more specifics on how this awful illness (PPP & PND) manifested and presented itself. My issue is similar to a previous poster’s comment about lack of details on this, especially as she has chosen to go public with her experience. I am not questioning her illness or integrity, I am questioning the reasons and thinking behind her releasing this story with very little by way of information. Maybe I am
personalising this due to my own experience... but to skim over PPP is at worst irresponsible and at best unhelpful. PPP (as others have said) is a severe illness which generally presents within the first couple of months and requires emergency treatment and care. The aftermath of depression, anxiety and trauma that occurs after the initial episode is another major hurdle to overcome and can take years to gradually get better. As I said above, I am not questioning the illness and her experience, but I do feel it would be helpful of her to have shared a few more details of symptoms and examples especially as she made the announcement - nobody has forced her. I want to stress this is not because I am nosy, it’s because she has a big platform and audience which means she could do a lot of good. She wouldn’t have to be the poster girl or anything like that... If I was to share my experience of PN OCD and PND I would be making damn sure my audience knew the details of what to look out for so that they could seek help.
I think this is it. You’ve hit the nail on the head. She was very brief in her “coming out” post and talked in platitudes, it wasn’t personal, it wasn’t detailed but as a cover all she added “I was a very high functioning depressive”. For me that was a, don’t look back on my past 3 years and see all I’ve been doing and question how that was possible...it was possible I was high functioning. So thanks Anna that helps all those none functioning mothers who look to you for inspiration 🙄

I guarantee that her next article/post/tv/radio interview will have all this stuff covered. She’ll have been to read here and will see all the holes in her original story and cover them up with the information she’s taken away from this thread. It will be more detailed we will get the specifics, she’s probably writing it all up now and has her next version ready.

@SilverSpoonNotIncluded please don’t feel tit, don’t look at her life and feel tit she’s a sales woman peddling tit and that is all you need to remember - sending hugs 🤗

• Heart
It really irritates me that she couldn't of course just have been depressed, she had to have a more serious condition and had to be high functioning the whole time.

Reactions: 13
Soooo everyone used to say on the SOD threads, “oh I like MP she’s more genuine and real and she’s stopped showing her kids”. My thoughts were always “yeah, but she showed her kids to begin with until there was a backlash”.

For me the difference between MP and the other Instamoms is she cares what people think. She reads here and other platforms then changes to suit the new narrative. I don’t believe deep down she is that different to DLAM, Glen etc. They’re all selling their lives and their kids (whether shown face on or not!) to try and make money.

The difference is MP is much more aware and has a journalistic background. She uses this to her advantage and to stay current and relatable

• Heart
I’ve been thinking about this a lot. I really do think this is just the next cash cow for her. Do I think she had PND - absolutely but the psychosis just sounds like one upmanship, like she’s suffered more than others. I think if she exploits it then it will bite her on the bum, I think If she refrains from selling she might be better off. It feels a bit like everyone has done mental health and PND and she’s had to pull something new out to be relevant and get a pat on the back for “talking about it”. I’ve said it before a friend of mine had it and was hospitalised for 3 months, the dad had to care for the baby on his own, she wanted to kill herself and the baby- 6 years on it’s all fine but she’s terrified of being pregnant again and doesn’t talk about it much- it’s too emotional for her - 5 mins later MP is selling a book about it? Doesn’t add up!

Reactions: 9
Soooo everyone used to say on the SOD threads, “oh I like MP she’s more genuine and real and she’s stopped showing her kids”. My thoughts were always “yeah, but she showed her kids to begin with until there was a backlash”.

For me the difference between MP and the other Instamoms is she cares what people think. She reads here and other platforms then changes to suit the new narrative. I don’t believe deep down she is that different to DLAM, Glen etc. They’re all selling their lives and their kids (whether shown face on or not!) to try and make money.

The difference is MP is much more aware and has a journalistic background. She uses this to her advantage and to stay current and relatable
Yes she's bright, savvy and manipulative

Reactions: 7
I still like her, I have to say. I know I’ll get a flaming but she’s still the most palatable of the instamums. However, I don’t like the timing of how she’s come out with the depression thing and I think she needs to understand that she can’t be everything to everyone and not everyone has or is going to like her either.

Aside from that, carry on 🤣. She’s hitching her wagon to becoming a celeb more than any of the others, so it’s right that she’s finally got her own thread. I think the (possible) difference between her and the other instamamas is that (if done in a polite manner) she’d actually reply to any criticisms she received through her DM’s or even her page. She’s not quite as fast with the block button as some of the others, although I could be wrong and I’ll happily admit that with how she carries on in the future. I guess we’ll see.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I still like her, I have to say. I know I’ll get a flaming but she’s still the most palatable of the instamums. However, I don’t like the timing of how she’s come out with the depression thing and I think she needs to understand that she can’t be everything to everyone and not everyone has or is going to like her either.

Aside from that, carry on 🤣. She’s hitching her wagon to becoming a celeb more than any of the others, so it’s right that she’s finally got her own thread. I think the (possible) difference between her and the other instamamas is that (if done in a polite manner) she’d actually reply to any criticisms she received through her DM’s or even her page. She’s not quite as fast with the block button as some of the others, although I could be wrong and I’ll happily admit that with how she carries on in the future. I guess we’ll see.
I still like her too. [Ducks for cover] 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I don't. Also all the penis jokes are dull as hell. And no mention of psychosis since she first posted about it. Not even an explanation of what it is

• Heart
  • Haha
You just can’t make a public announcement about suffering from PPPsychosis and then not say anything more about it, or explain what it is, how you recovered, where to access help. The total lack of info just proves that it was never about raising awareness for the condition, it was only ever about raising awareness of her book.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@Wolf359 I’d really hate to think this is a true representation of why she made the announcement about her PN illnesses but I just don’t know what to think with regards to any of these insta mums any more. 🤷🏼‍♀️
It’s just weird. Why go on national TV and then not reference it again?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.