Mother in law experiences? Share them! 🤣

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My MIL was an utter angel. I was devastated when she passed - she was one of the loveliest people I had ever met. Just kind, supportive and the best grandma to our kids.

My DH’s ex-MIL, however, made our life hell for the longest time. Accused me of replacing her daughter, made up all sorts of nonsense, tried to call SS on us etc etc. Feel for people with crazy in laws, it’s no fun!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
My mother in law is overbearing and intrusive. She texts my husband all day starting from a good morning have a nice day, drive safely because it's raining today till lunch time till dinner and if he got home ok then in the evening commenting on different shows and then a goodnight long message everyday. She calls him at least a few times a week and also wants to know everything that we are doing. She has an opinion on everything and anything. She will have advice ready for us for everything that we are doing. She is stuck in her ways and no one is ever good enough for her children. She even clearly said to me once that if people don't like our family then they can leave because we are never going to change. She never ever messages or calls me but is constantly messaging my partner all day. When we first got together he had a doctor's appointment and she called him in the morning to wake him up so he doesn't forget.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
My mother in law is overbearing and intrusive. She texts my husband all day starting from a good morning have a nice day, drive safely because it's raining today till lunch time till dinner and if he got home ok then in the evening commenting on different shows and then a goodnight long message everyday. She calls him at least a few times a week and also wants to know everything that we are doing. She has an opinion on everything and anything. She will have advice ready for us for everything that we are doing. She is stuck in her ways and no one is ever good enough for her children. She even clearly said to me once that if people don't like our family then they can leave because we are never going to change. She never ever messages or calls me but is constantly messaging my partner all day. When we first got together he had a doctor's appointment and she called him in the morning to wake him up so he doesn't forget.
Reading this made me so angry!!! Can’t believe some people can’t do this. Have you ever tried discussing it with your partner?

• Angry
Reading this made me so angry!!! Can’t believe some people can’t do this. Have you ever tried discussing it with your partner?
She is normally ok apart from the fact that she is obsessed with her children and my partner. She has got issues and terrible past where her parents left her to be raised by her grandmother but it doesn't warrant her being a witch. I have spoken to my partner and he understands but thinks his mum has had too difficult a life and is attached to her children. He doesn't want to upset her and she is very good at controlling her children emotionally by constantly licking their arse. I seriously can't stand her because I don't consider this normal behaviour. My mum doesn't text me every single day of my life or even worse multiple times a day and I would be concerned if she did. It's just very strange behaviour.

Sometimes I even think if it's even worth it when their families are so deranged and damaged.

Mine is ok. She has a lot of personal issues though and my husband seems more like the parent in their relationship as a result. We’re not particularly close but she has never been anything but nice to me when in her company. Very supportive when OH and I announced our engagement/elopement, and both my pregnancies. She’s probably been more supportive than my own mum when breaking the news tbh. My mum made me feel so down because she wasn’t initially happy when I told her I was pregnant the first time. OH’s mum was thrilled to bits.

Reactions: 7
My MIL is okay, or was okay, until our baby came along. Now she is overbearing

She was worst when he was first born. Wouldnt leave us alone, facetiming us every hour because she 'wanted to see him' then she would be on the phone for about 45 minutes just saying boo? Even though he was a day old and spent most of his time asleep? Constantly patronising, do this, do that.

She has an air to her that she thinks my son is more part of her family than mine, cos she is close by and my family aren't. She says 'well he has my surname' about him. Thinks my Mum shouldn't be that bothered about him because she had 4 other grandkids and my MIL only has the one. She gets the hump if my Mum has been round to see him and she hasn't. Once there was a week where my Mum seen him 3 times. She royally kicked off cos she had only seen him once that week

Makes me feel like tit if he's not reaching his milestones 'on time'. He didnt smile till he was 8 weeks old and from 4 weeks she was saying 'he doesnt smile enough. You need to be doing more. Are you even trying to make him smile?' As if I'm not trying to make my baby smile 🤣 constantly 'is he laughing yet?' 'Is he walking yet?' NO!!! Whenever she facetimes now, which luckily isn't as much now, she ignores me and my fella. Just talks to the baby. The poor baby is more interested in the tele or his toys or climbing on me and his Dad but he's stuck on the phone for 45 minutes with her trying to make him smile and laugh. She gets a cob on if he doesn't smile or laugh. She goes 'WHY ISNT HE SMILING?' Because he doesnt wanna be on the phone maybe???

Oh she's a gobshite 🤣 sometimes I think I'm being petty but Christ it's a lot when you put up with it all the time.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 32

She was worst when he was first born. Wouldnt leave us alone, facetiming us every hour because she 'wanted to see him' then she would be on the phone for about 45 minutes just saying boo? Even though he was a day old and spent most of his time asleep? Constantly patronising, do this, do that.

She has an air to her that she thinks my son is more part of her family than mine, cos she is close by and my family aren't. She says 'well he has my surname' about him. Thinks my Mum shouldn't be that bothered about him because she had 4 other grandkids and my MIL only has the one. She gets the hump if my Mum has been round to see him and she hasn't. Once there was a week where my Mum seen him 3 times. She royally kicked off cos she had only seen him once that week

Makes me feel like tit if he's not reaching his milestones 'on time'. He didnt smile till he was 8 weeks old and from 4 weeks she was saying 'he doesnt smile enough. You need to be doing more. Are you even trying to make him smile?' As if I'm not trying to make my baby smile 🤣 constantly 'is he laughing yet?' 'Is he walking yet?' NO!!! Whenever she facetimes now, which luckily isn't as much now, she ignores me and my fella. Just talks to the baby. The poor baby is more interested in the tele or his toys or climbing on me and his Dad but he's stuck on the phone for 45 minutes with her trying to make him smile and laugh. She gets a cob on if he doesn't smile or laugh. She goes 'WHY ISNT HE SMILING?' Because he doesnt wanna be on the phone maybe???

Oh she's a gobshite 🤣 sometimes I think I'm being petty but Christ it's a lot when you put up with it all the time.
I can’t think of anything worse. I had something similar when my first child was born, only it was from my own mum. She used to call herself “mama” when talking to my son in her baby voice, then she would look at me and give this fake, annoying little laugh and say “oh, bad habit!” Nobody has called her “mama” in about 25 years! Very overbearing. I just ignore it, and I’d do the same with my MIL if she started. 🙄

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
I can’t think of anything worse. I had something similar when my first child was born, only it was from my own mum. She used to call herself “mama” when talking to my son in her baby voice, then she would look at me and give this fake, annoying little laugh and say “oh, bad habit!” Nobody has called her “mama” in about 25 years! Very overbearing. I just ignore it, and I’d do the same with my MIL if she started. 🙄
Oh god I've had that as well. I heard saying her 'mama' to the baby and I said 'what are you doing?' And she said she was 'doing it for me' dont lie 🤣 She has even said she feels like she is his Mum, not his Nan. What a weird thing to say.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 17
Oh god I've had that as well. I heard saying 'mama' to the baby and I said 'what are you doing?' And she said she was 'doing it for me' dont lie 🤣 She has even said she feels like she is his Mum, not his Nan. What a weird thing to say.
Seriously? Who even does that?! 😂 😬

If either of my kids ever makes me a grandma, I’ll be taking lessons from all of this on what not to do. It’s bonkers! Talk about overstepping the mark. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9
You just described my ex’s Mum! Whatsapp messages all day, making plans for him to visit (without me), texting during TV shows... argh!!!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9

Oh my god. If this was me I’d have to say something, that’s just not on!! Terrible that you even have to go through with this and the fact that a grown woman can act that way is shocking.

Mine is a nightmare. I could honestly write pages and pages but don't want to piss myself or anyone else off.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
My mum's mum loved my dad and me, her first grandchild. It was my mother and she who didn't get on!

Reactions: 2
Oh my god. If this was me I’d have to say something, that’s just not on!! Terrible that you even have to go through with this and the fact that a grown woman can act that way is shocking.
I've said something a few times, I cant even be bothered anymore! It just pisses my boyfriend off and puts us in a tit situation. I try to ignore her 😂

Reactions: 3
I fell out with my new MIL over stuff she did on our wedding day and only just started talking again as it took her two months to apologise 🙈🙈

• Angry
Reactions: 2
I love,worship and adore my mil (and fil!)
they lost their daughter to battens years ago-and they only have their son (my bloke left)
they don’t go overboard with him,they welcomed me in with open arms,never judge either of us-nor take sides
they respect what choices we make-even if they think we are wrong (I once painted the spare room a ‘hooker red’ and they never said ‘told you that would look shite’-it’s now ‘goosedown’-all they said was ‘well,that looks a bit better!’)
they support us with any choices we make and respect our privacy

my own mother makes the mils from hell look normal
shes a narcissistic nightmare-and my sister in laws want her to like them that badly they don’t set any boundaries and let her walk all over them
one sister in law gave birth about a week ago-my mother had chosen everything from the pram to the coming home outfit
she demanded to be at the birth-and they allowed it-even tho they didn’t really want her to-she turned it into the ‘name of my mother show’
no thought to the poor cow laid on the bed pushing a human out-she wanted coffee?my brother had to go get her one
she felt hungry?they gave her the snacks they’d packed her her to eat in labour
she was bored?my brother had to run to the nearest shop to buy her some magazines and she moaned she never read ‘those ones’ so she didn’t want them
if she turns on you,then she will destroy your relationship with her sons-I’ve seen it happen-she’s done it to me-no other reason apart from she goes ‘off’ you-I’m giving this one two years-the gloss will start to wear off soon

i pray to god that when I’m a mother in law that I’ll be like my own mil (my son tells me I’ll be just fine)
always there if I’m needed,but not if I’m not
supportive and loving for them but not overbearing
ive already told my partner that when (if) I’m lucky enough to become a granny (not nana) mil is who I want to base myself on-I have grand fur babies and I’m always thinking ‘what would Lucy and Derek do?’
and so far the kids tell me I’ve not gone far wrong

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
My mother in law is really nice to me, but she's so nosey! Up until recently we lived with her and she would ask "where you going" "What you doing" etc literally everytime I put my shoes on to leave the house (I'm 25). If I was on a phone call she'd come through and say "who was that" or would ask questions that clearly show she'd been earwigging. I know some might say "well it's her house you were living in" but it got really annoying being asked all the time!

Other than being nosey, she's generally lovely to me so I can't really complain about her as a Mother in law.

What I can complain about is that she has some really outdated and at times, offensive, opinions. I won't quote directly on here as I wouldn't want to offend anyone (although I do not condone or agree with any of them) but she's not afraid to express opinions about how being gay isn't natural (?!), general racist views, abortion is always wrong apparently etc. I always feel really embarrassed when she starts spouting her opinions off. Numerous times I've told her I don't agree and would rather not discuss, but she still feels the need to say it. I do dread when I have children because I'm definitely going to make a conscious effort to sit down with them and explain that although their Grandma says certain things, we don't agree with those things and we should just ignore them and not repeat them. I feel sad that I'm already thinking about how I'm going to have to protect my future children from those outrageous opinions.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.