Mother in law experiences? Share them! šŸ¤£

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I havenā€™t met my mil yet, although she doesnā€™t really count as my mil because Iā€™m not married to my boyfriend. Although, sheā€™s apparently buying me a Christmas gift which I thought was really sweet! Iā€™m meeting her on Christmas Eve and Iā€™m super nervous. Iā€™ve had some pretty bad past experiences with exes mothers. My ex boyfriends mum was a total control freak who pretty much told him what to do and heā€™d listen! Sheā€™d get involved in our relationship and what weā€™d do and tell us what to do daily. It was infuriating and really made our relationship crumble as I couldnā€™t deal with it. So Iā€™m hoping my current boyfriends mum is better! I always love hearing peopleā€™s mother in law stories hahašŸ¤£

Reactions: 6
This isnā€™t a bad experience just awkward! My ex boyfriend and his mum were super close and he still lived at home when we were together, quite often when we were just chilling in his room sheā€™d quite happily burst through the door and ask ā€œare you banging tonightā€... šŸ‘šŸ¼

Was never quite sure how sheā€™d react if I actually said yes!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
This isnā€™t a bad experience just awkward! My ex boyfriend and his mum were super close and he still lived at home when we were together, quite often when we were just chilling in his room sheā€™d quite happily burst through the door and ask ā€œare you banging tonightā€... šŸ‘šŸ¼

Have either of them heard of boundaries-and I don't mean scoring a six for hitting a ball past the pitch's edge in cricket!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Thereā€™s a whole thread about them somewhere!

Reactions: 3

That is so awkward!!! Iā€™d implode from embarrassment

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I love my MIL I know I know.... Iā€™m one of the lucky ones. She is super lovely and would do anything for us.
I took her with me, and my Mum when Iā€™d chosen my dress, I walked out of the dressing room feeling so emotional and excited to see her response and she bursts out crying and says ā€œOh my godddddddd your so lucky to be marrying my Sonā€. She did follow it through with ā€œAnd heā€™s so lucky to have youā€ but I did poop myself for a minute thinking...umm why is she not commenting on THE DRESS! šŸ˜‚ not a bad experience and have never had one with her really.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Have either of them heard of boundaries-and I don't mean scoring a six for hitting a ball past the pitch's edge in cricket!
That is so awkward!!! Iā€™d implode from embarrassment
It gets worse as we booked our first holiday together, then his mum and her partner booked the same hotel and arrived 3 days later!

He dumped me on this holiday and looking back now Iā€™m so grateful to be out of that weird bubble!

• Wow
Reactions: 24
It gets worse as we booked our first holiday together, then his mum and her partner booked the same hotel and arrived 3 days later!

He dumped me on this holiday and looking back now Iā€™m so grateful to be out of that weird bubble!
This happened to my exes parents! They had been together since they were 18 and theyā€™d always gone abroad with his mum and dad. This one year when they were 22 they decided to go alone. A couple of days into the holiday they were sat on the beach, she was topless and along strolls his parents! I would never forgive my in laws if they did that. Total invasion of privacy!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
My boyfriend's mother is quite a character, she is from the southern USA and Tammy Wynette-ish with big hair and "stirrup pants". No real friction with her

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Speaking of my own MIL though. Sheā€™s okay in the sense that she does try to get along with me and she isnā€™t one of those that is a total witch, but sheā€™s really weird. Like for example she gets really arsey over the fact that I donā€™t mother my partner or that I donā€™t take the bins out, just weird stuff.

also before we bought our house she lost her tit because we booked a holiday to Florida and she thought we were going to be poor forever. She basically went into mourning over our finances, very odd.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Speaking of my own MIL though. Sheā€™s okay in the sense that she does try to get along with me and she isnā€™t one of those that is a total witch, but sheā€™s really weird. Like for example she gets really arsey over the fact that I donā€™t mother my partner or that I donā€™t take the bins out, just weird stuff.

also before we bought our house she lost her tit because we booked a holiday to Florida and she thought we were going to be poor forever. She basically went into mourning over our finances, very odd.
Oh god. I hate when they worry about things that donā€™t concern them... so bloody annoying

• Heart
My ex one was nice but a bit dopey. She used to constantly ask me 'how my downstairs was' after I had given birth šŸ˜… yes thanks it looks like an old pack of corned beef and I love to think about it, especially at family events šŸ˜ x

• Haha
Reactions: 22
My ex one was nice but a bit dopey. She used to constantly ask me 'how my downstairs was' after I had given birth šŸ˜… yes thanks it looks like an old pack of corned beef and I love to think about it, especially at family events šŸ˜ x
Omg both times after I given birth I had mine ring me up saying ā€œhave you had your first poo yet?ā€ šŸ™„šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Omg hahahahašŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I actually new myne before meeting my now husband. My friend knew her and we would see her out pretty much everytime we were so would always do a few shots together šŸ¤£

• Haha
My ex-boyfriendā€™s mum didnā€™t warm to me lol. My ex was a Mummyā€™s boy so nobody was ever going to be good enough for him. Whenever Iā€™d stop at their house, she would make my ex breakfast in bed and never made me anything because ā€˜I donā€™t eat because Iā€™m slimā€™. Ok then! I got on with his Dad though.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
My mother in law favours my husbands sister over him and it really annoys me. Thankfully it doesnā€™t seem to bother him as much as it does me šŸ˜‚ my sister in law is yet to have any babies but when she does if she treats our children differently I will have to say something.

• Heart
My ex-boyfriendā€™s mum didnā€™t warm to me lol. My ex was a Mummyā€™s boy so nobody was ever going to be good enough for him. Whenever Iā€™d stop at their house, she would make my ex breakfast in bed and never made me anything because ā€˜I donā€™t eat because Iā€™m slimā€™. Ok then! I got on with his Dad though.
I read that as "got it on with his dad" šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I love my MIL, sheā€™s super supportive (she knows what I have to put up with being with her son šŸ¤£) she recently gave me a card saying ā€œthank you for being youā€ and she bakes me cakes šŸ˜‹. Iā€™m very lucky to have her.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Mines lovely to me, sheā€™s not a bitchy MIL at all sheā€™d never put me down or make a snarky comment itā€™s just not her. BUT (and I know this will sound awful) sheā€™s really dim šŸ™ˆ like really slow and itā€™s really annoying sometimes šŸ˜‚ plus her and my FIL are really backwards in their thinking - for example theyā€™ll say things like

ā€œIā€™m sick of Eastenders promotion lesbians all the timeā€ if thereā€™s a lesbian couple kissing for example šŸ˜³ or theyā€™ll say ā€œheā€™s gay .. but heā€™s ever so lovelyā€ šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

i do find it hard to talk to them when they say things like that because itā€™s not my way of thinking whatsoever !

my MIL always makes comments about womenā€™s weight too šŸ˜– things like ā€œyeah Paula who works down the coop, sheā€™s a big lady but sheā€™s lovelyā€ šŸ˜‚šŸ™ˆ oh and the best is when she says ā€œhere you go you can have these jeans theyā€™re MASSIVE on meā€ but she genuinely doesnā€™t mean any harm by it and if I told her it upset me sheā€™d be mortified šŸ˜‚

All in all Iā€™m lucky Iā€™d say! They used to be really intrusive when we were younger, theyā€™d ring my husband about 4 times every evening asking him if he was watching certain programmes or just asking what he was doing šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø And theyā€™d just turn up at our house all the time (more than once when we were having sex upstairs!) and sometimes theyā€™d come round while we were at work and just take our dog to their house and then weā€™d have to go and pick him up after work šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ but now weā€™ve got kids and weā€™ve made it clear thatā€™s not acceptable anymore they donā€™t do it šŸ˜‚

• Wow
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.