Mother in law experiences #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Previous thread:

Please continue venting here! šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Thanks for the replies on the previous thread! Itā€™s so helpful to hear that itā€™s okay to feel upset by some of this. My partner is supportive but obviously canā€™t do much because he doesnā€™t want to cause his mum to be escalate. Iā€™ve noticed now he will cut the visit short now whenever his parents get too hyper around the baby. I think I will just take a tack of forgetting that my MIL has insisted that she is going to do all of these firsts like buy the shoes etc. I wonā€™t be pressured into leaving baby stay over at night until baby is much, much older. We have said that we will ask for help if baby is sick when crĆØche starts and that we would appreciate them coming to our house to mind her on these occasions. However, this wonā€™t be every time as I also have ny own mum who really gets what my baby likes and tends to be calm, quiet and soothing around her. I was thinking over the last few days that Iā€™ve no control over how much they shut themselves off from others, thatā€™s theyā€™re choice and baby wonā€™t be a baby forever. When she is older she will have play dates etc on weekend that eat into grandparent time but that is normal. They will have to manage that themselves. I generally feel parents/grandparents cannot be a childā€™s best friend. Your best friends donā€™t have an obligation to keep you safe, teach you skills and put in place limits or boundaries so i think MIL may be disappointed by this in future when this child chooses people other than her to spend time with. In terms of the pressure to give them time to go to classes with baby, this isnā€™t happening. My husband and I will have these experiences for ourselves. He hasnā€™t been able to have much time with just the two of them so I will be making it clear to grandparents that this is an absolute priority. Thereā€™s lots they can do for this baby that isnā€™t being a parent. Boundaries are the key though. Babyā€™s birth was more complicated than normal and I was in a lot of pain following it and they arrived for several visits that went on for 2-3 hours. This was really hard in the early days of breastfeeding as I kept having to get up and down to go to another room to feed baby. They didnā€™t arrive with so much as a pack of biscuits. We were lucky in that my family had kept visits to 20-30 mins max of their own accord and kindly arrived each time with a few meals, took bags of washing away etc which was so appreciated as I couldnā€™t really get around much. Itā€™s not that they did these things that I appreciate, itā€™s that they stopped to pause for thought about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Thanks for the replies on the previous thread! Itā€™s so helpful to hear that itā€™s okay to feel upset by some of this. My partner is supportive but obviously canā€™t do much because he doesnā€™t want to cause his mum to be escalate. Iā€™ve noticed now he will cut the visit short now whenever his parents get too hyper around the baby. I think I will just take a tack of forgetting that my MIL has insisted that she is going to do all of these firsts like buy the shoes etc. I wonā€™t be pressured into leaving baby stay over at night until baby is much, much older. We have said that we will ask for help if baby is sick when crĆØche starts and that we would appreciate them coming to our house to mind her on these occasions. However, this wonā€™t be every time as I also have ny own mum who really gets what my baby likes and tends to be calm, quiet and soothing around her. I was thinking over the last few days that Iā€™ve no control over how much they shut themselves off from others, thatā€™s theyā€™re choice and baby wonā€™t be a baby forever. When she is older she will have play dates etc on weekend that eat into grandparent time but that is normal. They will have to manage that themselves. I generally feel parents/grandparents cannot be a childā€™s best friend. Your best friends donā€™t have an obligation to keep you safe, teach you skills and put in place limits or boundaries so i think MIL may be disappointed by this in future when this child chooses people other than her to spend time with. In terms of the pressure to give them time to go to classes with baby, this isnā€™t happening. My husband and I will have these experiences for ourselves. He hasnā€™t been able to have much time with just the two of them so I will be making it clear to grandparents that this is an absolute priority. Thereā€™s lots they can do for this baby that isnā€™t being a parent. Boundaries are the key though. Babyā€™s birth was more complicated than normal and I was in a lot of pain following it and they arrived for several visits that went on for 2-3 hours. This was really hard in the early days of breastfeeding as I kept having to get up and down to go to another room to feed baby. They didnā€™t arrive with so much as a pack of biscuits. We were lucky in that my family had kept visits to 20-30 mins max of their own accord and kindly arrived each time with a few meals, took bags of washing away etc which was so appreciated as I couldnā€™t really get around much. Itā€™s not that they did these things that I appreciate, itā€™s that they stopped to pause for thought about it.
I really do empathise with so much you are saying. I think you are doing right by sticking to boundaries. Your mil will just have to like it or lump it. She's had her baby, this is your baby and I find it odd she puts so much of her own happiness on YOUR baby. But you don't owe her anything at all hun. Your family sound like my own, and seem respectful and helpful without being over bearing. I worry so much that my partner thinks I'm being negative about his mum because its not my tribe so to speak, but its not that at all. Like your mil, mine never even asks how we are, its literally all about baby! And so of course I gravitate to my own family! I get your partner doesn't want to rock the boat, It's very hard isn't it? But its a real positive that he's cutting time with her and seeing what she's doing. I think you are doing all the right things. I really hope you enjoy time with your little one and she doesn't cause you any more stress. Just keep sticking to your guns and enjoy every second of being a mum. Xxx

Reactions: 6
Iā€™m so angry at myself for how I reacted to this latest MIL drama. Yesterday my MIL came to get my little girl. She picked her up and my wee girl reached over to me for a kiss and with her arms out for a cudddle. I put my arms out for a cuddle and my MIL said ā€˜no, just kissā€™ and like an IDOIOT I just kissed my little girl and away they went. I think I was in shock she had said it I just done what she said but now looking back I shouldā€™ve been saying no if she wants a cuddle Iā€™ll cuddle her.
im not sure if you remember but we all go away on holiday in Oct and this has made me think sheā€™s going to be like this when weā€™re away.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Iā€™m so angry at myself for how I reacted to this latest MIL drama. Yesterday my MIL came to get my little girl. She picked her up and my wee girl reached over to me for a kiss and with her arms out for a cudddle. I put my arms out for a cuddle and my MIL said ā€˜no, just kissā€™ and like an IDOIOT I just kissed my little girl and away they went. I think I was in shock she had said it I just done what she said but now looking back I shouldā€™ve been saying no if she wants a cuddle Iā€™ll cuddle her.
im not sure if you remember but we all go away on holiday in Oct and this has made me think sheā€™s going to be like this when weā€™re away.
Itā€™s completely normal to be caught off your guard sometimes donā€™t feel bad! At least now youā€™re aware going forward that she might say something like that so you already have your response prepared šŸ˜˜

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Not sure where to start, but here goesā€¦

My baby is now a few months old but my MIL insisted on coming to stay the first weekend after he was born. She lives over 300 miles away (blessing or not?) and she stayed over in our spare bedroom on the Friday and Saturday night and left late on the Sunday.
I had an emergency csection the Friday before so my baby was barely a week old when she visited and I was still in a lot of pain, could barely walk, had alarms set on my phone all hours of the day to remind myself to take the pain, antibiotics and injections.
1. She brought ear plugs for her stayšŸ™ƒ she also never offered to do a night feed/take him early in the morning so we could have some rest etc. She literally came for a break (her words not mine lol), yes I too did a double take when I heard her say ā€œoh Iā€™ll be coming to stay every month for a break to see little oneā€ā€¦
2. She kept making ignorant comments regarding breastfeeding and natural birth (she breastfed and had natural births) which made me feel like tit (on top of already feeling like tit) because I was formula feeding and had a csection.
3. Weā€™d gone for a drive, which turned out to be a big mistake as the baby had a screaming fit in the back of the car. Took him home to change him as he was sweatingā€¦ got a clean (albeit creased) white baby grow to which she asked if it was clean. I said yes. MIL then proceeded to pick the baby grow up and sniff it in front of meā€¦ as if Iā€™d put a dirty baby grow on my newborn babyā€¦ to be honest this was the point where I lost respect for her. Sheā€™s a family liaison officer so sheā€™s used to supervising people with their kidsā€¦ she needs to realise Iā€™m not one of her clients lol.
4. Next day (Saturday) I had come downstairs to her cuddling my baby, just literally sat there cuddling him saying how content he is (yes love donā€™t suppose you want to cuddle him at 3am instead?šŸ™ƒ) when I then took the baby off to feed he had this massive rash down the side of his face. She then proceeded to tell me she wears her perfume on her clothes rather than her skin as she gets an allergic reaction to itā€¦ who the hell wears perfume to cuddle a newborn baby?!?
4.Fast forward to Sunday, as weā€™d had a busy day on Saturday I spent most of the morning in bed (eating my stupidly massive stash of chocolate). Went downstairs at half 11 to MIL rolling her eyes at me as we were only now having breakfast (my partner cooked everyone - his brother was here too at this point - bacon sandwiches). I then sat opposite her feeding my baby to her complaining to me that she was tired as sheā€™d been awake since 6am and couldnā€™t get back to sleep and had a very long drive home that day. Poor soul. You can imagine how much I cared whilst sat there sleep deprived.
5. She then complained that she was hungry again. Her other son my BIL offered to make her a sandwich. She stuck her nose up at this. We then ended up in a pub having a carvery (I had something small as we hadnā€™t long had breakfast). They all sat eating their dinners, I ate mine one handed as the baby was really unsettled. After sheā€™d finished her dinner (I had already finished mine at this point) she asked ā€œwould you like me to hold the baby so you can finish your dinner?ā€ I just looked at her stupid, said no and continued to enjoy my newborn cuddles.

Tbh, if I could have that previous time back with my son I would tell her to stay in a hotel, bring her own dinner (if she wanted any) and I would have basically locked myself and my newborn in the bedroom for the foreseeable.
I havenā€™t been coping great in all honesty. My partner and I have been arguing to the point where weā€™ve almost separated several times. There have also been times where Iā€™ve stayed upstairs for a few hours break on the weekends whilst my partner looks after our son downstairs and I just simply havenā€™t wanted to go back down. Weā€™re going to visit her this weekend. Thereā€™s more, but Iā€™ll leave it for another post on another day. Thank you for taking the time to read x

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Not sure where to start, but here goesā€¦

My baby is now a few months old but my MIL insisted on coming to stay the first weekend after he was born. She lives over 300 miles away (blessing or not?) and she stayed over in our spare bedroom on the Friday and Saturday night and left late on the Sunday.
I had an emergency csection the Friday before so my baby was barely a week old when she visited and I was still in a lot of pain, could barely walk, had alarms set on my phone all hours of the day to remind myself to take the pain, antibiotics and injections.
1. She brought ear plugs for her stayšŸ™ƒ she also never offered to do a night feed/take him early in the morning so we could have some rest etc. She literally came for a break (her words not mine lol), yes I too did a double take when I heard her say ā€œoh Iā€™ll be coming to stay every month for a break to see little oneā€ā€¦
2. She kept making ignorant comments regarding breastfeeding and natural birth (she breastfed and had natural births) which made me feel like tit (on top of already feeling like tit) because I was formula feeding and had a csection.
3. Weā€™d gone for a drive, which turned out to be a big mistake as the baby had a screaming fit in the back of the car. Took him home to change him as he was sweatingā€¦ got a clean (albeit creased) white baby grow to which she asked if it was clean. I said yes. MIL then proceeded to pick the baby grow up and sniff it in front of meā€¦ as if Iā€™d put a dirty baby grow on my newborn babyā€¦ to be honest this was the point where I lost respect for her. Sheā€™s a family liaison officer so sheā€™s used to supervising people with their kidsā€¦ she needs to realise Iā€™m not one of her clients lol.
4. Next day (Saturday) I had come downstairs to her cuddling my baby, just literally sat there cuddling him saying how content he is (yes love donā€™t suppose you want to cuddle him at 3am instead?šŸ™ƒ) when I then took the baby off to feed he had this massive rash down the side of his face. She then proceeded to tell me she wears her perfume on her clothes rather than her skin as she gets an allergic reaction to itā€¦ who the hell wears perfume to cuddle a newborn baby?!?
4.Fast forward to Sunday, as weā€™d had a busy day on Saturday I spent most of the morning in bed (eating my stupidly massive stash of chocolate). Went downstairs at half 11 to MIL rolling her eyes at me as we were only now having breakfast (my partner cooked everyone - his brother was here too at this point - bacon sandwiches). I then sat opposite her feeding my baby to her complaining to me that she was tired as sheā€™d been awake since 6am and couldnā€™t get back to sleep and had a very long drive home that day. Poor soul. You can imagine how much I cared whilst sat there sleep deprived.
5. She then complained that she was hungry again. Her other son my BIL offered to make her a sandwich. She stuck her nose up at this. We then ended up in a pub having a carvery (I had something small as we hadnā€™t long had breakfast). They all sat eating their dinners, I ate mine one handed as the baby was really unsettled. After sheā€™d finished her dinner (I had already finished mine at this point) she asked ā€œwould you like me to hold the baby so you can finish your dinner?ā€ I just looked at her stupid, said no and continued to enjoy my newborn cuddles.

Tbh, if I could have that previous time back with my son I would tell her to stay in a hotel, bring her own dinner (if she wanted any) and I would have basically locked myself and my newborn in the bedroom for the foreseeable.
I havenā€™t been coping great in all honesty. My partner and I have been arguing to the point where weā€™ve almost separated several times. There have also been times where Iā€™ve stayed upstairs for a few hours break on the weekends whilst my partner looks after our son downstairs and I just simply havenā€™t wanted to go back down. Weā€™re going to visit her this weekend. Thereā€™s more, but Iā€™ll leave it for another post on another day. Thank you for taking the time to read x
Iā€™m not part of this threat but I seen your post on the live thread and just had to talk to you. Please do not go if you donā€™t want to. I donā€™t think you need to be putting yourself in that position right now. If you donā€™t mind, may I ask why you donā€™t want to go downstairs? Is it your partner or your baby, or a combination of both? I will be completely honest that it sounds like you are maybe suffering with postnatal depression. I would suggest speaking to your GP for support. Are you able to get out and about to baby groups? Do you have a good support system around you?

• Heart
Reactions: 22
My MiL is just so up in everyone else's business, it's awful.

She constantly picks at her grandchildren (my nieces and nephews), rarely finding anything to praise them for. A couple of them are in their teens, and experiencing acne; she constantly tells them it's because of the foods they're eating -- never for a moment factoring in hormonal changes. One of the girls is carrying a lot of extra weight (she's an emotional eater) and likes nothing more than to spend her weekends in bed reading; my MiL zooms in on this and tells her how she's not going to find a husband looking like that (!) and how she's wasting her life away.

She finds fault in absolutely everything and is far from perfect herself. Ugh; it's just so frustrating.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 23
My MiL is just so up in everyone else's business, it's awful.

She constantly picks at her grandchildren (my nieces and nephews), rarely finding anything to praise them for. A couple of them are in their teens, and experiencing acne; she constantly tells them it's because of the foods they're eating -- never for a moment factoring in hormonal changes. One of the girls is carrying a lot of extra weight (she's an emotional eater) and likes nothing more than to spend her weekends in bed reading; my MiL zooms in on this and tells her how she's not going to find a husband looking like that (!) and how she's wasting her life away.

She finds fault in absolutely everything and is far from perfect herself. Ugh; it's just so frustrating.
This is awful! My grandma used to be like this with me and would point out to neighbours etc how fat my legs were (Iā€™ve never been skinny but I wasnā€™t overweight - then). These things scar you. I have had so much trauma from never feeling good enough or looking good enough. She told my ex boyfriend to never marry me because Iā€™m bossy (I was the one who would care for her). So much of what she said to me as a child has stuck with me through life. Some of these stories make me so glad I havenā€™t got a fella because I donā€™t want the MIL from hell :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
This is awful! My grandma used to be like this with me and would point out to neighbours etc how fat my legs were (Iā€™ve never been skinny but I wasnā€™t overweight - then). These things scar you. I have had so much trauma from never feeling good enough or looking good enough. She told my ex boyfriend to never marry me because Iā€™m bossy (I was the one who would care for her). So much of what she said to me as a child has stuck with me through life. Some of these stories make me so glad I havenā€™t got a fella because I donā€™t want the MIL from hell :ROFLMAO:
That's so awful :cry: . Comments and little looks / digs like this do stay with some people and can cause irreversible damage.

I've noticed my MiL getting more acerbic of late; she's in her late 80s so probably thinks she can say what she likes.

Reactions: 8
Iā€™m not part of this threat but I seen your post on the live thread and just had to talk to you. Please do not go if you donā€™t want to. I donā€™t think you need to be putting yourself in that position right now. If you donā€™t mind, may I ask why you donā€™t want to go downstairs? Is it your partner or your baby, or a combination of both? I will be completely honest that it sounds like you are maybe suffering with postnatal depression. I would suggest speaking to your GP for support. Are you able to get out and about to baby groups? Do you have a good support system around you?
Thank you so much for replyingā™„ It was a combination of both to be honest and I feel as though I was robbed of the enjoyment of the newborn phase and Iā€™m only now enjoying him more at four months oldā€¦I meet a friend once maybe twice a week with her baby so I always try and keep myself busyšŸ’• my mother is a great support too and has had him overnight a few times so I can get proper rest. Weā€™re here now and I offered MIL the chance to have him yesterday morning all to herself thinking sheā€™d come over early. I messaged her at half 8 to say he was ready and waiting and she replied at quarter to nine that sheā€™d only just woken up and that sheā€™d be over soonā€¦ fast forward to 10:30am and she came around the corner in her car(only a two minute walk from hers to her dads where we are staying) and said oh Iā€™ll drop him back around lunchtime as me and my husband are planning on going for lunch. I instantly replied ohhh no bring him back at 4pm ish as we (me and the babyā€™s dad) are going to lunch too and you can take the baby with you as Iā€™ll get the car seat for you nowā€¦ basically didnā€™t give her time to say no and her face was a picture hahaha x

• Heart
  • Haha
I'm sorry guys/ gals just had to come on here to rant and let off steam. Mil came round the other day for little ones bday. Every time I tried to talk to her to make it less awkward, she just wasn't interested! Not unless it was about my child. But surely she has to have some sort of relationship with me and my partner if she thinks she can be around little one? Does she really think I'm going to let her have access to him if she clearly detests me and my SO?she was hinting at babysitting him over the summer holidays but no chance when she clearly despises me!
I'm just at a loss with her, honestly I hate my partners family. I cry every day because they are all so bloody awkward and make my life hell. The family dynamics are bizzare and I feel like since my little one has been born its been one thing after another with them all. Sometimes i wish i could run away from it all, but I do love my partner šŸ„ŗšŸ˜ž

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I'm sorry guys/ gals just had to come on here to rant and let off steam. Mil came round the other day for little ones bday. Every time I tried to talk to her to make it less awkward, she just wasn't interested! Not unless it was about my child. But surely she has to have some sort of relationship with me and my partner if she thinks she can be around little one? Does she really think I'm going to let her have access to him if she clearly detests me and my SO?she was hinting at babysitting him over the summer holidays but no chance when she clearly despises me!
I'm just at a loss with her, honestly I hate my partners family. I cry every day because they are all so bloody awkward and make my life hell. The family dynamics are bizzare and I feel like since my little one has been born its been one thing after another with them all. Sometimes i wish i could run away from it all, but I do love my partner šŸ„ŗšŸ˜ž
I'm not a member of this thread either but I wanted to offer you some comfort. Your Mil sounds ignorant and you should just step away and not engage her. Let her ask the questions etc and don't bother trying to seek a relationship. You're not going to get one unless you give her all the power.

You also sound exhausted with the whole thing and the whole family. Again, step away. Do your own stuff and see your own family and friends. Always be polite but nothing more than that. If your husband has a problem, tell him that they drive you mad and you need some space.

This is the time to put yourself first. Good luck in the future, sending lots of love to you.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I'm not a member of this thread either but I wanted to offer you some comfort. Your Mil sounds ignorant and you should just step away and not engage her. Let her ask the questions etc and don't bother trying to seek a relationship. You're not going to get one unless you give her all the power.

You also sound exhausted with the whole thing and the whole family. Again, step away. Do your own stuff and see your own family and friends. Always be polite but nothing more than that. If your husband has a problem, tell him that they drive you mad and you need some space.

This is the time to put yourself first. Good luck in the future, sending lots of love to you.
that's what I'm doing not emotially engaging, when my partner wants to visit I will be polite but not give info to her to use, when I'm sitting near her I focus on something else I don't engage her as much as possible because she has treated me with disrespect

• Heart
Reactions: 2

Thank you, I am drained. I feel exhausted with it all. My partner says he can't turn his back on his family which I understand but at the same time they cause us both so much pain. And my family keep telling me to 'be the bigger person' - which i have tried to be, numerous times. But at what point do you stop being the bigger person and become a door mat??
I'm sick of walking on egg shells just because I love my parnter
But thanks so much, I go back to work soon so hopefully that will help. Xx

Iā€™m sick of this life. My partner said she wouldnā€™t be coming down this summer because he doesnā€™t want her to. Iā€™ve now been surprised with the fact sheā€™s coming next week FOR 10 bleeping DAYS.
Now heā€™s trying to guilt trip me by saying ā€œitā€™s for the baby.. itā€™s her grandmaā€
Yeah. Her grandma who hasnā€™t bothered since she was 6 weeks old,, sheā€™s now 9 months. Her grandma who made me feel so tit during my pregnancy. Makes me feel invisible when sheā€™s here. Stresses me out so much I ended up in hospital whilst pregnant because she was here, who ironically left as soon as I needed to go to hospital so partner had trouble arranging childcare. Slags me off to other people and publicly on Facebook about me , yet Iā€™m expected to just grit my teeth and bare it because ā€œitā€™s her grandmaā€.
I didnā€™t sign up for this.

• Sad
  • Wow
Iā€™m sick of this life. My partner said she wouldnā€™t be coming down this summer because he doesnā€™t want her to. Iā€™ve now been surprised with the fact sheā€™s coming next week FOR 10 bleeping DAYS.
Now heā€™s trying to guilt trip me by saying ā€œitā€™s for the baby.. itā€™s her grandmaā€
Yeah. Her grandma who hasnā€™t bothered since she was 6 weeks old,, sheā€™s now 9 months. Her grandma who made me feel so tit during my pregnancy. Makes me feel invisible when sheā€™s here. Stresses me out so much I ended up in hospital whilst pregnant because she was here, who ironically left as soon as I needed to go to hospital so partner had trouble arranging childcare. Slags me off to other people and publicly on Facebook about me , yet Iā€™m expected to just grit my teeth and bare it because ā€œitā€™s her grandmaā€.
Tell him heā€™s taking care of her during her visit as he didnā€™t consult you

Reactions: 8
Oh hun, I wish I could give you a hug. I know exactly where u are coming from and feel. I don't know what to say because I'm not dealing with mu own situation well. But I know what it's like to feel ill and drained from it all. I don't know what the answer is anymore to these MILs xx

• Heart
Reactions: 1
How would you feel about MiL and FiL staying in your house when neither of you were there?

• Sick
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.