Mother in law experiences #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How does your partner feel about this? Hubby gets where I’m coming from but doesn’t think she’s coming from a bad place blah blah. They’re the only thing we argue about and I just feel so alone when I’m going to his family’s events, I feel guilty and I just don’t know what to do to resolve it.
Honestly at the start he stayed very neutral and it annoyed me as why would you let someone mistreat your wife and in ways your kids but overtime he's seen how awful she is and has very little to do with her and doesn't expect me to

Reactions: 1
Hi everyone, writing this with a heavy heart and chest. I have no idea where to start🙁💔 Been living with the MIL for 5 years as I had family problems. I don’t have any contact with my family and I’ve lived here since I was 17. I’m asthmatic and the night before last I had an asthma attack. I was too scared to ring anyone so I dealt with it. The asthma attack carried on through to yesterday evening so I rung 111 who advised me to 1) get an emergency ambulance or 2) an emergency appointment out of hours at hospital. I picked the second option as I didn’t want to waste the ambulance incase someone needed it more. They gave me an appointment at a hospital which is quite far, a 30 min drive. The problem is that neither I or my partner drive and the taxi was costing around £75 altogether which I don’t have spare. I spoke to my partner’s mum and step dad who just told me to cancel the appointment or that I should’ve got the ambulance when I did. They didn’t offer to take me once. This made me absolutely break down. The fact that they could sit there seeing that I was in a really bad way (potentially life threatening) and not give less of a tit was shocking. I know I’m not related to them but I thought in an emergency they’d at least help as it’s barely an hour out of their day. They said all that and then went to bed immediately (it was around 8pm). I was left to suffer all night as I had no other options. Woken up this morning still unwell and I just feel like I can’t get over how cruelly I’ve been treated. My partner was fuming last night and he agrees I shouldn’t get over this. I still have to live with them for another year (I’m in uni) but I don’t think I can face being nice to them any longer. I’ve been nothing but good to them but I feel so betrayed and hurt. I cried a lot yesterday which wasn’t good for my asthma but I couldn’t help it, I felt like I had no one I could rely on besides my partner. It was horrible😢 any advice? I could do with some support❤‍🩹

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
That's bleeping awful! How could anybody see someone struggling to breathe and not offer to help them. You have every right to feel how you do!

Reactions: 4
Hi everyone, writing this with a heavy heart and chest. I have no idea where to start🙁💔 Been living with the MIL for 5 years as I had family problems. I don’t have any contact with my family and I’ve lived here since I was 17. I’m asthmatic and the night before last I had an asthma attack. I was too scared to ring anyone so I dealt with it. The asthma attack carried on through to yesterday evening so I rung 111 who advised me to 1) get an emergency ambulance or 2) an emergency appointment out of hours at hospital. I picked the second option as I didn’t want to waste the ambulance incase someone needed it more. They gave me an appointment at a hospital which is quite far, a 30 min drive. The problem is that neither I or my partner drive and the taxi was costing around £75 altogether which I don’t have spare. I spoke to my partner’s mum and step dad who just told me to cancel the appointment or that I should’ve got the ambulance when I did. They didn’t offer to take me once. This made me absolutely break down. The fact that they could sit there seeing that I was in a really bad way (potentially life threatening) and not give less of a tit was shocking. I know I’m not related to them but I thought in an emergency they’d at least help as it’s barely an hour out of their day. They said all that and then went to bed immediately (it was around 8pm). I was left to suffer all night as I had no other options. Woken up this morning still unwell and I just feel like I can’t get over how cruelly I’ve been treated. My partner was fuming last night and he agrees I shouldn’t get over this. I still have to live with them for another year (I’m in uni) but I don’t think I can face being nice to them any longer. I’ve been nothing but good to them but I feel so betrayed and hurt. I cried a lot yesterday which wasn’t good for my asthma but I couldn’t help it, I felt like I had no one I could rely on besides my partner. It was horrible😢 any advice? I could do with some support❤‍🩹
Omg this is shocking. Has your partner not said anything to them?!! I think he should hun. Did they not realise the severity of it? Do you all get on? X

Reactions: 2
Omg this is shocking. Has your partner not said anything to them?!! I think he should hun. Did they not realise the severity of it? Do you all get on? X
This was my first thought but living with them could be very awkward if it doesn't go well

My MIL has a good job high in the NHS and gets a decent wage, her mortgage payments are relatively low and she's quite well off. She has said she isn't doing Christmas this year. I know cost of living crisis etc but she only has our 3 children and rarely spends over £30 each anyway.
She asked to come out with us a few Sundays back, we took her into the village, done some crab fishing, paddling in the water etc, she asked the kids if they wanted ice cream but didn't pay! She had one herself too! She went with my husband to the kiosk, they all ordered what they wanted and as soon as she had hers in her hand she walked off 😂
She even stayed for a BBQ, sat in the garden with her feet up like lady muck while I ran around like a blue arsed fly. Then still sat there whilst I tidied up. I said don't strain yourself, she just said no I won't I'm sat here like the queen!

Tight cow 🐄

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
I’m asthmatic and the night before last I had an asthma attack. I was too scared to ring anyone so I dealt with it. The asthma attack carried on through to yesterday evening so I rung 111 who advised me to 1) get an emergency ambulance or 2) an emergency appointment out of hours at hospital. I picked the second option as I didn’t want to waste the ambulance incase someone needed it more. They gave me an appointment at a hospital which is quite far, a 30 min drive. The problem is that neither I or my partner drive and the taxi was costing around £75 altogether which I don’t have spare. I spoke to my partner’s mum and step dad who just told me to cancel the appointment or that I should’ve got the ambulance when I did. They didn’t offer to take me once.
I was left to suffer all night as I had no other options.
You didn't have to suffer through the night though, you could've got the ambulance? I'm not excusing their attitude but equally you did have other options.

Reactions: 5
You didn't have to suffer through the night though, you could've got the ambulance? I'm not excusing their attitude but equally you did have other options.
Yep but they’re the kind of people who would not have wanted the attention of an ambulance round their house.

We get on as best as we can! It can be difficult as they aren’t the nicest😅 I try and be as nice as I can out of respect! He hasn’t said anything it’s been brushed under the carpet now by us both as we still need to stay civil. But I won’t forget how I was treated that’s for sure x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Good afternoon fellow tattlers, I only posted a few days ago but I am so overwhelmed with this tit. I’ve tried faking it till I make it, tried ignoring the twit, and now I honestly feel at the end of my tether with it. I love my husband, but I am so sick of this. I can’t even tell you what it is mil and sil do because it’s so small and petty but it’s too much to cope with, they’re so territorial of hub and I’m so sure sil would rather I fell off a cliff today so she can have my life. I’m so fed up to the point I’m ready to have a break and move out so hubby knows I’m serious. I’m starting to blame him for not telling them to duck right off but then it’s his family?

• Heart
Good afternoon fellow tattlers, I only posted a few days ago but I am so overwhelmed with this tit. I’ve tried faking it till I make it, tried ignoring the twit, and now I honestly feel at the end of my tether with it. I love my husband, but I am so sick of this. I can’t even tell you what it is mil and sil do because it’s so small and petty but it’s too much to cope with, they’re so territorial of hub and I’m so sure sil would rather I fell off a cliff today so she can have my life. I’m so fed up to the point I’m ready to have a break and move out so hubby knows I’m serious. I’m starting to blame him for not telling them to duck right off but then it’s his family?
I haven’t read your other posts but I’m so sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. I too am unfortunate enough to be faced with my partner’s toxic/vile/cruel/narcissistic family and it’s been a constant battle. They disregarded me in a recent emergency and it’s clear that they couldn’t give less of a tit about me if I tried so I do get it. I also feel resentment towards my partner as he’ll be annoyed with them temporarily behind closed doors when they’re bad to me and then act normal to their faces? Even worse as we live with them and still no sign of an escape. I too have thought about leaving! At the end of the day there’s only so much a person can be expected to take. I know they’re his family but they aren’t yours and you have no reason to put up with them treating you like this. Definitely have a serious conversation with him so boundaries can be made. If he can’t also value your feelings and defend you when necessary then you’ve got your answer. I know it’s his family and it can be difficult managing the two but you should be his priority as his partner. Good luck!❤‍🩹

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I feel for you, the way iv managed my MIL lately is by just not bothering anymore. A few months back I gave her the opportunity to sort things out, I invited her places etc and all to no avail. So I literally just let her contact my partner and I never complain of he sees her, but I always say now that I won't be joining in. And to be honest I'm grateful for that. If he wants to see her then fine, crack on. But as long as I'm not made to I'm happy. I try and be civil as I don't want arguments but I certainly don't go out of my way anymore. Just because she my partners mum she doesn't have the right to my respect based solely on that.

Reactions: 1
I’m the exact same, I don’t contact my mil at all. I’m sick of trying to be the decent and civil one! All she does is witch about the whole family with my sil so I’m out! I’ve given up trying to passify her so now I just don’t contact and see her very very rarely. I’m so much happier for it

My MIL has a good job high in the NHS and gets a decent wage, her mortgage payments are relatively low and she's quite well off. She has said she isn't doing Christmas this year. I know cost of living crisis etc but she only has our 3 children and rarely spends over £30 each anyway.
She asked to come out with us a few Sundays back, we took her into the village, done some crab fishing, paddling in the water etc, she asked the kids if they wanted ice cream but didn't pay! She had one herself too! She went with my husband to the kiosk, they all ordered what they wanted and as soon as she had hers in her hand she walked off 😂
She even stayed for a BBQ, sat in the garden with her feet up like lady muck while I ran around like a blue arsed fly. Then still sat there whilst I tidied up. I said don't strain yourself, she just said no I won't I'm sat here like the queen!

Tight cow 🐄
I actually thought I'd wrote this, my MIL is exactly the same, with buying things even though she's OK for money, and even down to the bbq at our house too! Starting to really see through it just wish my husband would! 😒

My MIL is insufferable, she’s just a rude and pathetic human being. To add to that, my SIL is just as bad. She’s a 32 year old mum of 3 and has an abusive/druggy partner. He’s a deadbeat waste of space but she prefers to hang onto him. Now here’s what winds me up. Neither of them work for no apparent reason besides laziness. Their children are being dragged up, the poor things don’t even have clothes or shoes that fit them and only get fed two small meals a day. No idea where the money they claim goes (hint: fuelling his drug addiction) but it certainly isn’t on the poor kids. Anyway, what annoys me is that she’s so tight with money towards us but expects the world. At Christmas time she messaged me asking if I’d make Christmas Eve boxes for her kids as her children were asking about it. How about make your own? I buy the children lovely presents for birthdays and Christmas as I feel for them, don’t have much money as a student and they aren’t blood related but they deserve it as they’re innocent in all this. My SIL doesn’t even get me anything for Christmas or my birthday. My birthday is Boxing Day and every single year without fail she messages to say she’ll have to get me something at the end of Jan, and every single year she doesn’t get me anything not even a card. At occasions such as Easter she’ll expect presents/treats for her kids. It’s getting ridiculous now. She doesn’t allow us to see her children because my partner refuses to get on with hers due to the string of abuse he gave his sister. To be honest with you all I don’t feel sorry for her one bit. She’s made her bed and chosen her partner and she’s not a good mother for allowing her children to suffer at the hands of such a horrible man. She even openly admits that her eldest son (7) hits her because he says that his dad does so why shouldn’t he. The whole thing is ridiculous🤨 Of course the MIL worships the ground her daughter and drug boy walk on. Feel as though she enables the behaviour by praising them so much. They could do no wrong in her eyes. If that was my daughter I’d tell her to grow the f up and put her children’s well being first before her own selfish needs. They do not deserve to grow up in fear witnessing horrible things. Also I’d like to add that MIL bought her daughter a house away from drug boy so she could escape the abuse. She just went running back to him anyway.

• Sad
My MIL is insufferable, she’s just a rude and pathetic human being. To add to that, my SIL is just as bad. She’s a 32 year old mum of 3 and has an abusive/druggy partner. He’s a deadbeat waste of space but she prefers to hang onto him. Now here’s what winds me up. Neither of them work for no apparent reason besides laziness. Their children are being dragged up, the poor things don’t even have clothes or shoes that fit them and only get fed two small meals a day. No idea where the money they claim goes (hint: fuelling his drug addiction) but it certainly isn’t on the poor kids. Anyway, what annoys me is that she’s so tight with money towards us but expects the world. At Christmas time she messaged me asking if I’d make Christmas Eve boxes for her kids as her children were asking about it. How about make your own? I buy the children lovely presents for birthdays and Christmas as I feel for them, don’t have much money as a student and they aren’t blood related but they deserve it as they’re innocent in all this. My SIL doesn’t even get me anything for Christmas or my birthday. My birthday is Boxing Day and every single year without fail she messages to say she’ll have to get me something at the end of Jan, and every single year she doesn’t get me anything not even a card. At occasions such as Easter she’ll expect presents/treats for her kids. It’s getting ridiculous now. She doesn’t allow us to see her children because my partner refuses to get on with hers due to the string of abuse he gave his sister. To be honest with you all I don’t feel sorry for her one bit. She’s made her bed and chosen her partner and she’s not a good mother for allowing her children to suffer at the hands of such a horrible man. She even openly admits that her eldest son (7) hits her because he says that his dad does so why shouldn’t he. The whole thing is ridiculous🤨 Of course the MIL worships the ground her daughter and drug boy walk on. Feel as though she enables the behaviour by praising them so much. They could do no wrong in her eyes. If that was my daughter I’d tell her to grow the f up and put her children’s well being first before her own selfish needs. They do not deserve to grow up in fear witnessing horrible things. Also I’d like to add that MIL bought her daughter a house away from drug boy so she could escape the abuse. She just went running back to him anyway.
Thats absolutely horrible. I wonder if your MIL hates him too but doesn't want to fall out because of the kids 😣

Oh god guys, some of these in laws sound horrendous!
Came on here to vent but my situation isn’t half as bad and just wanted some advice or if anyone had been in a similar situation?
My in laws are very polite and ‘nice’ but they never take any interest in me. I’ve been with my boyfriend 5 years and they have asked me questions about me 4 times (yes I counted) not including how are you obviously. They have never asked about my family, Job, friends or anything. I ask them all about their lives when I see them and they can talk for hours about themselves, then whenever there is a pause in conversation they never ask me anything. My boyfriend has tried to say ‘oh *my name* has just got a promotion’ and they literally just say ‘oh’ and that’s it.
Does anyone have any advice? I’ve tried to just talk about myself but it upsets me that I make such an effort and know all about them but they aren’t bothered to find anything out about me. My family take such an interest in my boyfriend, and they know all about his life, yet my boyfriends parents couldn’t even tell you my siblings names or what I do for work.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.