MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As people have said before it seems the way to make money is through recruiting (still don’t understand the economics of that but 🤷🏼‍♀️) and then it makes me think you’ve got to be a special kind of selfish C word to prey on vulnerable people just to line your own pocket. I’ve got one on my social media that just makes my hair stand up on end...so scammy
This! A girl who I follow recruited a girl with autism and other learning difficulties

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
Juice Plus is probably one of the worst. I bought some tablets off a friend of mine, just to support her. I have no idea what affect the tablets were supposed to have on me, but whatever it was, it made no difference to my well-being. What a con and now that seems to have died a death on social media - thank God - the next one up seems to be make-up. I avoid anyone selling anything these days and will un-friend them on FB if they do not get the message. They make me laugh when you point out, “oh it’s a pyramid scheme” and their reply is, “no it’s multi-level marketing, because pyramid schemes are illegal.” Oh yes, silly me, that’s what they have taught you to say in their “brainwashing guide to multi-level marketing.” 🤣

It is the old saying, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. The people at the top of these pyramid schemes are relying on the dimwits at the bottom who will fall for it. 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Juice Plus is probably one of the worst. I bought some tablets off a friend of mine, just to support her. I have no idea what affect the tablets were supposed to have on me, but whatever it was, it made no difference to my well-being. What a con and now that seems to have died a death on social media - thank God - the next one up seems to be make-up. I avoid anyone selling anything these days and will un-friend them on FB if they do not get the message. They make me laugh when you point out, “oh it’s a pyramid scheme” and their reply is, “no it’s multi-level marketing, because pyramid schemes are illegal.” Oh yes, silly me, that’s what they have taught you to say in their “brainwashing guide to multi-level marketing.” 🤣

It is the old saying, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. The people at the top of these pyramid schemes are relying on the dimwits at the bottom who will fall for it. 🙄
The person on my social who shills this stuff supposedly has 6000 people under her which is obviously why she’s having a bit of success with it but how can she know if any (more likely how many) of those 6000 are vulnerable or getting themselves in debt. If you think about how corporations have to consider their entire supply chain these days then how can these women be so brazen and uncaring.

It’s covered up as ‘women supporting women’ yeah ok tell me the names of all the women making you money and what you’ve done for them in return? 😑

A new day, a new friend sending me an invitation to join their FM group 😖😖😖...NO!

Reactions: 6
Or people selling hampers.... COME ON I can tell that the stuff is from Poundland why order a hamper when u could go to Poundland yourself ..... £20 for a Halloween hamper or something with sweets that came to £3.50 from Lidl

Reactions: 7
I want to buy some stuff from bodyshop but at a discount which sounds great but knowing that these girls wont leave me alone if i message them to buy one item... ill just have to pay full price without the annoyance...

Reactions: 3
I want to buy some stuff from bodyshop but at a discount which sounds great but knowing that these girls wont leave me alone if i message them to buy one item... ill just have to pay full price without the annoyance...
Just an FYI for the last 3 years bodyshop have done an online 40% off sale for Black Friday and thrown in free gifts for over £40 spend. So my poor body shop hun Facebook friend has sent me the catalogue for the third year in a row which is fabulous for me to browse through ready to order online in November 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
As people have said before it seems the way to make money is through recruiting (still don’t understand the economics of that but 🤷🏼‍♀️) and then it makes me think you’ve got to be a special kind of selfish C word to prey on vulnerable people just to line your own pocket. I’ve got one on my social media that just makes my hair stand up on end...so scammy
You get a bonus for recruiting people (eg £50) and then you get a percentage of their sales (maybe 2%?). The more you recruit, the more you earn per month as there’s loads of people in the pyramid below you. If THEY then recruit, you get (for example) 1% of their recruit’s sales in your pocket. And so on.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone ever bought a FM perfume/aftershave? I'm tempted just to see if they are good.
A girl I used to work with sells FM (her and about 5 others on my social media 🙄). A friend of mine bought from her to “help her business” (as they’re good with the guilt tripping posts). She said it was ok but wore off very quick. Tbh Perfume is not something I buy often and is a treat, so I would rather pay for the real deal then the false economy of smelling a nice scent for a little bit.

Reactions: 10
I’ve seen someone now on our local town page selling ‘Magic Powder’. That’s what she’s actually calling it. Apparently she lost 10lbs in 9 days and we all need to hurry as this mysterious product no one has ever heard of is selling out fast and she doesn’t have much left 🙄🙄🙄 I joke but it honestly makes me really angry.. for a start it’s bullshit, secondly it just preys on desperate and vulnerable people, and thirdly...its bullshit! Think anyone flogging this sort of crap should be arrested and and not released from prison until they’ve got their IQ up to a high enough level that they don’t fall for such rubbish or expect anyone else to!

I’ve seen someone now on our local town page selling ‘Magic Powder’. That’s what she’s actually calling it. Apparently she lost 10lbs in 9 days and we all need to hurry as this mysterious product no one has ever heard of is selling out fast and she doesn’t have much left 🙄🙄🙄 I joke but it honestly makes me really angry.. for a start it’s bullshit, secondly it just preys on desperate and vulnerable people, and thirdly...its bullshit! Think anyone flogging this sort of crap should be arrested and and not released from prison until they’ve got their IQ up to a high enough level that they don’t fall for such rubbish or expect anyone else to!
The only magic powder that will achieve a weight loss like that is cocaine 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
The only magic powder that will achieve a weight loss like that is cocaine 🤣🤣🤣
Oh well I feel bad now, maybe that’s what she was selling 😄
no wait 🤔 what if that is how dealers are selling drugs during the pandemic?
the only other thing I thought it could be was a powdered laxative, that would also do the trick I imagine 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Stuff like that really bugs me. I am a nutritionist l, spent 4+ years studying and have worked so hard to build my reputation.. then people like this think they can just sell a weight loss product and call themselves a ‘health coach’!!!! Same for those who do 2 day courses selling weight loss programmes🙄 massive kick in the teeth

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Kimbyrleigha is another good MLM exposer on YouTube. She comes across as very intelligent and she is an entrepreneur of her own online business (not claiming she has a business by working at the bottom of someone else’s pyramid scheme). I also like the fact she sticks up for girls who are duped into joining these schemes by exposing the real mlm huns, because from reading past posts, there’s clearly a link of picking on vulnerable people with some of these MLM companies.

Reactions: 4
Because I’m on maternity leave I’ve been harassed by 3 different people to join their team. Because technically I’m still part of my old mlm I’m just not active I just tell them that “ah thanks for thinking of me but as I got involved with an mlm on my last maternity leave I feel like it stole my time with my daughter so this time I intend on being truly present for my son...” their bollocks message that they try to make sound personal but they’ve sent it to their entire list been there done it I know all the tricks they are told to do. Exactly what to say when people say various things back. They’ll tell you you don’t need much time but then expect you to attend various trainings an hour away at £40 a ticket and if you don’t buy it you’re not committed, you’re not investing in yourself. And when you say you don’t have time... their response is you can always make time if you want to. Ok let me rephrase I don’t want to make time. Sorry I get really cross now at my stupid upline and the emotional turmoil she put a few of us through. It’s funny a few of us are still friends outside of the mlm world but not her she’s not stayed in contact with anybody even her “besties” from the business.

Reactions: 2
That is really interesting. I follow someone on Instagram, who now does FM as a side job, but is on maternity leave. Boasting that she now earns more in 1 month than she earned in 6 months in her normal job, has the car, a huge team below here, almost 1000 people I think, and singing its praises. No entry cost, no pressure, leave anytime etc. Sounds too good to be true to me. I am lucky that I have a well paying job and not really the target for MLM, but I can totally see the attraction if you are on a low income or stay at home mum. It is very dangerous in my opinion and I have done a lot of research into MLM, purely because I have a lot of time on my hands to listen to podcasts now I am working from home full time, can't work in silence. These companies will always find a way to exploit any legal loopholes, which is scary.

Someone on my fb who sells FM perfume made a post earlier today about how she wasn’t too worried about another lockdown because of FM, because last lockdown business was booming. But interestingly she said business was booming because ‘people needed a side hustle’ so it wasn’t booming from perfume sales but rather people joining up as distributors.

This is where it becomes obvious it’s all a load of old rubbish! How can business boom when your competition just grows. It’s all a very wobbly house of cards.

Reactions: 12
One of my friends started doing FM earlier this year. She got fed up with it pretty quickly and I never heard about it again after about 3 weeks of constant posts about it. She can't have made anything at all from it as it seemed to last about 2 months and the initial outlay must have been pretty hefty?

I understand how most MLMs work, but what's the deal with this latest 'travel advisor' one? The first time I saw someone doing it, I just assumed said person had decided on a change of career, but then they started popping up everywhere. How the hell does that even work? Are they given access to some major flight/hotel database or something? Not really the best time to have invested in the travel industry 😳

Reactions: 4
You only really make lots of money from having a team because you get a percentage of their sales. You can earn just from selling products but unless you’re selling tons and tons it’s not loads of money. The real money comes from having a team. And some people do achieve it. They have the car, the thousands of pounds a month etc but they lose lots of friends in the process as you are literally told to view everybody as a potential team member. Honestly it’s horrible. I did have pnd after having my daughter and I think that’s why I got involved but the toxicity I think that all added to my pnd.

Reactions: 3
You only really make lots of money from having a team because you get a percentage of their sales. You can earn just from selling products but unless you’re selling tons and tons it’s not loads of money. The real money comes from having a team. And some people do achieve it. They have the car, the thousands of pounds a month etc but they lose lots of friends in the process as you are literally told to view everybody as a potential team member. Honestly it’s horrible. I did have pnd after having my daughter and I think that’s why I got involved but the toxicity I think that all added to my pnd.
That is exactly what I was told when I asked about how you could earn so much money, recruitment was the answer, no way you can earn it through sales. Hardly being your own boss, you get paid to recruit people to sell someone else's product.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.