MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve listened to the dream today - thanks so much for the recommendation, it was so interesting! Iplayer documentary for me tonight too! I used to work in a call centre and MLMs were so huge there, there was always someone flogging younique, Herbalife, Virgin Vie (which I loved!) forever living or FM, none of them ever stuck at it apart from the Avon! I’ve got a friend who owns a hair salon and always did Avon and made a steady income from it but this year she got in to selling younique and one of the fat loss coffees before the pandemic and made an absolute bomb, she was painting faces while people’s colours were taking or perms setting and she’s a natural sales woman so with a captive audience was raking in promotion after promotion! When the pandemic hit she stopped it all and hasn’t re-started which really surprised me 🤷‍♀️ But there’s tonnes of “boss babes” near me, coffee & tea are the current most popular and they’re all using photos of their kids to promote their additional income 🙈🤣

Reactions: 2

This channel popped up for me last night. She hates MLMs. I now can't stop watching her videos!

Reactions: 5
a girl at work started airborne and invited us to be introduced to the products trying to sign is up. She slated every high end skin care brand and then I asked if airbonne was so go why didn’t be on sale in the shops. She couldn’t answer that one !

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I think those making that kind of money (assuming it’s true of course) are those that have recruited a large “team” to sell for them. And that team has also recruited a team and so on. It’s called an up line. There’s a really interesting documentary on BBC iPlayer about it and there’s a woman on there who has something like 2000 people working for her. There’s hardly any money in the sales of the products themselves, all the money is in recruitment.
Yes the more you recruit the more you earn. I have an associate who has started selling FM. She recently told us about the results of other people in her team and one person went from steady earning growth over 9 month period increase couple of hundred quid a month. Then one month the earning increased from £2k per month to £10k, I was shocked. Asked how this could be and was told it would be impossible to have that kind of growth from sales alone and the majority of the growth would have been from recruitment.

Reactions: 4
a girl at work started airborne and invited us to be introduced to the products trying to sign is up. She slated every high end skin care brand and then I asked if airbonne was so go why didn’t be on sale in the shops. She couldn’t answer that one !
because it is so eXcLuSiVe.

Yeah she did say something like that. And then she added about buying it through her and I was like can I not buy if direct off the website ???
She did have her white Mercedes though 😂😂😂😂
hahahaha. The Merc with the horrible Arbonne decal. Classy. Then you're left on the hook with the lease if you stop making money.

Reactions: 1
Hey I used to be an MLM for forever living.. I did make money but not alot and had to work really hard to earn hardly nothing. It didn't last long as my upline was bent and basically brought her way to manager very sad and desperate I called her out on it and fucked the whole thing off.waste of time

I joined Younique three years ago after being found on fb by a woman in the uk about it I was so niave and didnt research it properly and I am such a people pleaser I ended up saying yes. I was in a group of 10 people and we got put in a group and they would basically tell us to set up groups, a page and basically tell you how to sell and recruit! I did it for a year and it was such a regret! I cringed at every post I shared and every message I sent and legit made nothing from it. Bought some products myself and honestly they were not worth the extortionate prices and felt so guilty about trying to sell them. Actually makes me so ashamed! So glad I ended that bandwagon!! Dont trust it at all!

Reactions: 11
I joined Younique three years ago after being found on fb by a woman in the uk about it I was so niave and didnt research it properly and I am such a people pleaser I ended up saying yes. I was in a group of 10 people and we got put in a group and they would basically tell us to set up groups, a page and basically tell you how to sell and recruit! I did it for a year and it was such a regret! I cringed at every post I shared and every message I sent and legit made nothing from it. Bought some products myself and honestly they were not worth the extortionate prices and felt so guilty about trying to sell them. Actually makes me so ashamed! So glad I ended that bandwagon!! Dont trust it at all!
My sister in law still sells this tit. Her cringe worthy posts make me want to rip my own eyes out and die.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
There’s a girl who comes up on my Facebook feed (friend of a friend) who sells revitalu coffee, cocoa and tablet forms of both. She did it for a couple of years then went somewhere else for a while then back to revitalu. Her posts and videos are cringeworthy and she posts these before and after pics all the time, which I don’t doubt are her but they’re from her first stint with them and in her current live videos she looks totally different to the filtered photos she posts. She also seems to have to constantly bare her soul, kind of like an x-factor rags to riches montage and has endless dramas which are all woven into her pitch of selling / recruiting. I think that’s what I find most tragic, that in order to prosper (if she indeed does) she feels the need to share every minutia of her life which feels like a kind of sympathy / manipulation tactic to me. Of course this is all just my opinion but surely if any product was truly any good that wouldn’t be necessary.

My sister in law still sells this tit. Her cringe worthy posts make me want to rip my own eyes out and die.
Honest to god, I cringed at myself but this women was genuinely lovely and I didnt wanna let her down, we both gave it up in the end but lord everytime I think back I laugh at myself because ugh I was so niave, like I really fell for it 🙈

Go on KiKi channel linked above and watch the video about the Poonique Foundation for abused women. It's no foundation at all and the women have to pay to attend!

Sorry if this is a bit rambly but think it might be a good place to vent.

So a good friend of mine has got embroiled in Juice plus.

My friend met a girl at work years ago and they became good friends - she started doing juice plus years ago with her boyfriend - they went all in (ruthless) and are now pretty wealthy from it.
I’ve never got a nice feeling about this girl and kept her at arms length - she always seemed quite manipulative- always buying my friend expensive gifts for no reason etc.
My friend used to say the whole Juice plus thing bored her and she hated the way her friend recruited vulnerable people selling the “lifestyle” etc.

Fast forward 5+ years and my friends got an amazing job she worked really hard for and has booked a big expensive multi destination holiday with Juice Plus girl and another one of her Juice plus friends who’s even further up the ladder. My friend has to buy specific outfits so they can all dress the same but different (girl band style) so they fit the Instagram aesthetic etc.

Less than a year later and my friends now been “recruited” and selling - she’s had about 4 “promotions” in a month - showing off she’s earned an £850 bonus in a month etc
Awful social media posts every day (she barely used it before) 100s of “besties” work out videos now an awful 10 day shred thing with before and after photos that look photoshopped?!! My friends a size 8 with an amazing figure?!
Its honestly getting too much!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
There’s a girl who comes up on my Facebook feed (friend of a friend) who sells revitalu coffee, cocoa and tablet forms of both. She did it for a couple of years then went somewhere else for a while then back to revitalu. Her posts and videos are cringeworthy and she posts these before and after pics all the time, which I don’t doubt are her but they’re from her first stint with them and in her current live videos she looks totally different to the filtered photos she posts. She also seems to have to constantly bare her soul, kind of like an x-factor rags to riches montage and has endless dramas which are all woven into her pitch of selling / recruiting. I think that’s what I find most tragic, that in order to prosper (if she indeed does) she feels the need to share every minutia of her life which feels like a kind of sympathy / manipulation tactic to me. Of course this is all just my opinion but surely if any product was truly any good that wouldn’t be necessary.
Now that revitalu is a load of bollocks! I vaguely know someone that I’m friends with on Facebook, she started it a while ago. She is so entitled. She claims that this coffee has solved all her health problems. She has an attitude that just doesn’t sit right with me, it’s like if you don’t support me then you’re selfish.

She always shares live videos of the top guy, when she first started I clicked on one for about 2 seconds just to be nosey (he was claiming to be giving away free money with no catch 🙄). She then messaged me saying I see you have watched the live, are you interested in this coffee and bombarded me with screenshots of how amazing it was.

• Wow
Just seen this on Facebook and as a member of an MLM, I absolutely hate this attitude 🤯 people say no because they DON’T WANT TO TRY YOUR PRODUCT. Simple as that, suck it up and move on.

Also it literally makes no sense, why would you feel successful by being told no 😂😂

Attachments

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
Now that revitalu is a load of bollocks! I vaguely know someone that I’m friends with on Facebook, she started it a while ago. She is so entitled. She claims that this coffee has solved all her health problems. She has an attitude that just doesn’t sit right with me, it’s like if you don’t support me then you’re selfish.

She always shares live videos of the top guy, when she first started I clicked on one for about 2 seconds just to be nosey (he was claiming to be giving away free money with no catch 🙄). She then messaged me saying I see you have watched the live, are you interested in this coffee and bombarded me with screenshots of how amazing it was.
We could be talking about the same person from what you described there! :LOL:

Reactions: 1
I don’t know if it’s an mlm but someone I know has left her job to become a ‘life coach’. She has no qualifications but has paid for some online course and is trying to get others to do it. It will enable her to travel round the world apparently. It seems very mlm like, especially all the ‘living my best life’ posts.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.