MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sorry but the person who said that FM fragrances are the same as the ones they knock off is incorrect and is showing a lack of understanding of fragrance. Big name perfumes will have been made by a trained "nose" and proper perfumery is incredibly difficult- a mix of science and art. There is just no way anyone can replicate that and while ostensibly they might smell the same (I.e the top notes), they won't have the same complexity, development, lasting power, and so on.

Companies wouldn't bother to hire these big name noses/ perfumers if anyone can do it. It would be like suggesting that a knock off dress in Primark is the same as Valentino.

Reactions: 17
If a gym instructor tried to peddle me an MLM I’d be fuming! You cannot go anywhere without people trying it. It’s so unprofessional to use your place of work to try and sell MLMs. A beautician tried to sell me body shop while she was doing my treatment. Nearly head butted her
It’s the school fayres and fundraisers that piss me off. There’s always a rep from Scentsy, or Forever Aloe...nope. Nope.

Reactions: 2
I just think an FM bottle looks cheap and nasty. Like if you bought a fake purse. You know it’s a knock off

Reactions: 4
If you buy a decent perfume, one squirt in the morning will do you all day. A bottle lasts me a year. I’d rather have one nice bottle for birthday or Christmas than a dozen fakes.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
If you buy a decent perfume, one squirt in the morning will do you all day. A bottle lasts me a year. I’d rather have one nice bottle for birthday or Christmas than a dozen fakes.
I'd rather have no perfumes or a cheap perfume that was honestly made (they do exist) than a fake

I just think an FM bottle looks cheap and nasty. Like if you bought a fake purse. You know it’s a knock off
Exactly this. What's the point in owning a knock off handbag? All or nothing. You can always tell the difference

Reactions: 4
Alexis is a fictional character from a Canadian sitcom. Not sure how this explains my alleged massive attitude problem?

You know nothing about me or how I make my money so that's speculation on your part rather than fact, "sweetie".

I wished you well in my original post and meant it. I've seen so many friends suckered into MLMs (including FM) and seen them come out of the other side broken, in debt and with far fewer friends after constantly trying to recruit them. I genuinely hope this doesn't happen to you but I'll say it again, FM is not your business. Keep your eyes wide open and enjoy completing the tax returns for all your amazing profits. For avoidance of doubt, that is not sarcasm.
I don’t need your advice. You don’t know how I’m running my business. I am not stupid

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I don’t need your advice. You don’t know how I’m running my business. I am not stupid

But at the heart of it, it’s not your business. You’re bound by the products they produce for you to sell, it’s not like you can diversify. They tell you what to sell and how to sell it. You are basically a sales rep.

If they decided to pull the plug tomorrow, as they could easily do, where would ‘your’ business be then? You’d have nothing. Please, whatever else, do not be under any illusion that this is your own business, because it’s not.

Take it from someone who knows. I’ve been there and done it. Which is why I’m so passionate about opening peoples eyes to this.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
How unbelievably naive do these people have to be to think that they actually own their own business?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Okay let's call a spade a spade. If there's people above you earning money ("an upline") it's not "your" business. The point of your business is that the buck stops at you. Sorry if that's harsh but it's true

Reactions: 21
People saying they're making money from an MLM - how much are you spending on buying stock and throwing parties? And how much time are you spending? Your time has a value too

Reactions: 10
I tried. Good luck to you @Foxycoxy .
I’m not doing any of the things you are accusing me of. I have signed up 2 people. Neither of them are my friends. I’m not hassling anyone to buy anything. If I lose friends for promoting the products I sell well they were not friends to begin with. I’m not gonna get to the top, get a car and trip to Maldives. I’m not In it for that. I like the products and that bit extra a month is nice to have. So please do not tar me with what your mates are like. You are rude and judgemental

@Foxycoxy, I haven't accused you of doing anything except being deluded and as I've repeatedly pointed out, I've (genuinely) wished you well several times now. Interpret that how you want.

Reactions: 13
To call selling MLM having your own business is kind of an insult to people who do actually have their own business

• Heart
Reactions: 34
But at the heart of it, it’s not your business. You’re bound by the products they produce for you to sell, it’s not like you can diversify. They tell you what to sell and how to sell it. You are basically a sales rep.

If they decided to pull the plug tomorrow, as they could easily do, where would ‘your’ business be then? You’d have nothing. Please, whatever else, do not be under any illusion that this is your own business, because it’s not.

Take it from someone who knows. I’ve been there and done it. Which is why I’m so passionate about opening peoples eyes to this.
@Foxycoxy, I haven't accused you of doing anything except being deluded and as I've repeatedly pointed out, I've (genuinely) wished you well several times now. Interpret that how you want.
how am I deluded?

People saying they're making money from an MLM - how much are you spending on buying stock and throwing parties? And how much time are you spending? Your time has a value too
I used to make £700 a month on the side of my full time job. I worked 2 evenings a week.

I think the ‘own business’ thing comes from you being self employed & working as much or as little as you want.

I bought a lumispa off a friend who sells Nuskin.

About a month later, I received an email from Nuskin. For some reason, they had me down as a distributor rather than a customer. I thought this was strange so I questioned it and they said that in order for me to get the discount on the products that I did, they needed to have my account set to 'brand affiliate'. Anyway..

About 2 weeks ago, I received an email from them advising us 'distributers' what we can and cannot say as they're currently under investigation 🤣 it said 'don't publish how much money you earn', 'don't target those who have been made redundant from work due to covid 19', and 'don't insinuate that all Nuskin distributors will earn profit as this is something we cannot guarantee'

Bit odd if you ask me

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
I used to make £700 a month on the side of my full time job. I worked 2 evenings a week.

I think the ‘own business’ thing comes from you being self employed & working as much or as little as you want.
To be fair though, it's work on the side, not one's own business. I know someone who is saving up for a house and does the odd weekend evening shift delivering takeaways to make extra cash on top of his normal job. That's in no way his own business

Reactions: 15
To be fair though, it's work on the side, not one's own business. I know someone who is saving up for a house and does the odd weekend evening shift delivering takeaways to make extra cash on top of his normal job. That's in no way his own business
He’s working for someone else though - with MLMs you’re self employed hence people saying ‘own business’. I just wanted to put across that you can earn money from an MLM as I did and others do. I made some great friends who I still see now 15 years later. I don’t understand the buying stock yourself etc & not making any money - in most MLMs you can buy a starter kit v cheap & make the money back for this initial outlay at your first party/ order. Also not everyone did it as a side job.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.