MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if something actively tries to rip off the scent of an established product how is it not a knock off?
Exactly this!! I have smelt them & based on friends reviews saying the smell doesnt last would never buy, they are clearly knock offs, fm sell them on the basis they smell the same as the genuine article the actual brands they are copying created the scents.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Their posts are so cringe, especially when they put words like boss babe or independent business owner in it. I saw a lot of cabin crew from a particular airline without naming names promoting one called Forever Living and on their social media they made out that they afforded their five star hotel breaks thanks to Forever Living when in fact they were the hotels that the airline puts them up in downroute! Spotted a few of that rip off perfume one too that look like market stall smellies. There’s a girl I went to school with going on about Herbalife plus her new ‘business’ where she has a special blanket you can rent from her for £45 that will cure everything from endometriosis to arthritis! Can we please get these snake oil merchants banned?

Reactions: 13
Does anyone follow sofy think her name is sofynicole on insta ? She’s on this fm bandwagon and claims she makes a tonne but doesn’t seem to have the lifestyle to go along side the claims

Their posts are so cringe, especially when they put words like boss babe or independent business owner in it. I saw a lot of cabin crew from a particular airline without naming names promoting one called Forever Living and on their social media they made out that they afforded their five star hotel breaks thanks to Forever Living when in fact they were the hotels that the airline puts them up in downroute! Spotted a few of that rip off perfume one too that look like market stall smellies. There’s a girl I went to school with going on about Herbalife plus her new ‘business’ where she has a special blanket you can rent from her for £45 that will cure everything from endometriosis to arthritis! Can we please get these snake oil merchants banned?
Can’t stand when they make out they’re ‘business owners’ .I know someone who has bought into a franchise running entertainment at kids parties but also does 2 mlms and in her bio it says some tit about how she’s an independent boss babe ,owner of 3 business’ wtf ? No you’re not

Reactions: 6
I totally forgot someone I went to school with started one ages ago called ‘Business Bombshells’ which was basically her making a down line for her with Juice Plus. Just had a look on Fb/insta and doesn’t look like it’s still going but lots about it on Reddit
I've just read right through this thread, I hate MLMs.. weirdly someone I know has posted in the past couple of days about 'business bombshells'.. I can't find much info about it tho so will look on reddit.. she's previously sold acti labs, juice plus and limelife..

I was sucked into Arbonne when I was 18 by someone who I considered a friend. My dad had just died and I was vunerable. I was told to fake it till I made it. Soon sacked it off as I saw what it really was, lost £300 tho.

Funny how you never see all this supposed money they make 🙄

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I've just read right through this thread, I hate MLMs.. weirdly someone I know has posted in the past couple of days about 'business bombshells'.. I can't find much info about it tho so will look on reddit.. she's previously sold acti labs, juice plus and limelife..

I was sucked into Arbonne when I was 18 by someone who I considered a friend. My dad had just died and I was vunerable. I was told to fake it till I made it. Soon sacked it off as I saw what it really was, lost £300 tho.

Funny how you never see all this supposed money they make 🙄
The whole Business Bombshells I THINK was just her glamorising her downline for Juice Plus, the whole thing was very sketchy but it got attention and even mentioned in the local paper where she’s from 🙄

So sorry for your loss 😢 xx

Reactions: 1
The whole Business Bombshells I THINK was just her glamorising her downline for Juice Plus, the whole thing was very sketchy but it got attention and even mentioned in the local paper where she’s from 🙄

So sorry for your loss 😢 xx
I rooted about on IG and it seems to be something new launching.. qué cheesy filters and how different this one is to other mlms 🙄

It still upsets me someone could do that knowing what I was going through.. so predatory!

Thank you x

I rooted about on IG and it seems to be something new launching.. qué cheesy filters and how different this one is to other mlms 🙄

It still upsets me someone could do that knowing what I was going through.. so predatory!

Thank you x
I’ll have a look. I don’t even remember her from school but have 50+ mutual friends 🤷‍♀️ I remember it was all ‘nothing tastes better than skinny feels’ 😡 horrible bullshit and now she’s gained weight and is all BoPo 🙄

Would upset me too, I’ve done things I wouldn’t normally have done too when I’ve been going through a bad time. Glad it was only £300 and not more, even though £300 is still a lot of money X

Reactions: 2

Thank you x
Just came across this: https//businessbombshells.shop/pages/aboutbb
Definitely reads like another 'hun'-targeted MLM.

Reactions: 3
The perfumes and aftershaves are actually really good but as you call it “knock off” you obviously haven’t tried it.
The other stuff well yeah... hmmmmm

I bought an FM perfume from a friend and loved it. I bought flowerbomb and it smells the same as flowerbomb. I bought more and my mum and my sisters bought to so I signed up. It didn’t cost me a single penny to join. It cost me time interacting with people on Facebook. I put one post on my personal Facebook and I got orders for 28 bottles and instantly made over £100. Some of that I put back into my business to buy packaging, thank you cards, sweets and samples. I didn’t approach one person. My next order I treated myself to the sample kit. You do not have to buy this I chose to and it’s helped me. I’ve just started my 4th month and I’m just over £1000 in profit. I have signed up two girls, both had bought a product. People should not tar all network marketers with the same brush. You can legitimately make money out of this.
Most of the people that are anti FM haven’t actually tried it. My friends boyfriend has taken every opportunity to belittle me for selling it. He had never smelt it. I gave him a bottle and he’s now ordering from me and so ate his friends.
I have a full time job. I do FM in my spare time. I’m saving to buy a house and the money I have earned so far will help me make my deposit that little bit quicker.
I can sleep at night knowing I have earned that fair and square
Are you Jane Gammons......unless you all do EXACTLY the same thing, buying packaging, thank you cards, sweets and samples.....oh! and saving for a house!! You call it MLM, I call it pyramid scheme

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Are you Jane Gammons......unless you all do EXACTLY the same thing, buying packaging, thank you cards, sweets and samples.....oh! and saving for a house!! You call it MLM, I call it pyramid scheme
I know a lot of people hate MLMs but you can make money selling the products... I’ve read all the negativity online & people buying loads more than they needed to rather than just selling & losing money. I never saw any pressure to buy stock or spend more.

I used to make about £700 a month (this was about 13 years ago) alongside my full time job. There were great perks, big parties in hotels all paid for. I loved what I sold & my customers bought it from me as they would from a shop. I paid for holidays & loads of stuff with the extra cash. We had a great time!

A friend of mine has just had a baby during lockdown and has now started selling bodyshop products. I feel very 😬😬😬 about it. I like bodyshop products but dont want to engage with it because I've read such terrible things about mlms. Her best friend is constantly commenting on there and saying how she loves all the products which makes me wonder if she has recruited my friend.

I feel really awkward now about messaging her to find out how the baby is because I'm worried she'll ask me outright if I will take part in her cocktails and games night she's got planned.

Do they get told what to post and how to phrase it or do they decide what to post? All mlm posts on fb seem to read the same. Someone else I know does scentsy. It's all look at this amazing product we have..
It smells amazing. Her grammar isn't the best which makes me think either she has written it or the person telling her what to write is.

Reactions: 5
A friend of mine has just had a baby during lockdown and has now started selling bodyshop products. I feel very 😬😬😬 about it. I like bodyshop products but dont want to engage with it because I've read such terrible things about mlms. Her best friend is constantly commenting on there and saying how she loves all the products which makes me wonder if she has recruited my friend.

I feel really awkward now about messaging her to find out how the baby is because I'm worried she'll ask me outright if I will take part in her cocktails and games night she's got planned.

Do they get told what to post and how to phrase it or do they decide what to post? All mlm posts on fb seem to read the same. Someone else I know does scentsy. It's all look at this amazing product we have..
It smells amazing. Her grammar isn't the best which makes me think either she has written it or the person telling her what to write is.
I have friends and former colleagues who do Body Shop at home and , one started as an extra income while on Mat leave and another as a busy mum. I can honestly say none of them have tried to recruit me or been pushy to sell items . As I’m a key worker, one of them kindly sent me some hand gels that were so hard or overly expensive during lockdown for free. Everyone knows Body Shop it’s good value and has a retail demand unlike companies like Arbonne that is expensive and your typical MLM. I’ve been approached lots by ex colleagues etc who are now huns for MLM’s , I just say politely no thank you and then just unfriend or unfollow on SM .

Sometimes they will copy other people’s things that successful MLM people do, in the hope it works for them. Depending on who your up line/manager is, they might be under pressure to sell rather than show what they like. If you think that she’s not genuine, or you’re not interested in the products, just say no, and be firm about it. She’ll learn faster that being a typical MLM “hun” isn’t going to do her any favours. If she is sharing products you know she uses and likes that’s different. I signed up for Body Shop because I was spending a fortune in stores on the products and love them. If she’s never used Body Shop before ( to your knowledge)it’s hard to believe.

I have a ‘friend’ that did utility warehouse years ago and was pushing it all the time with us, even messaged me 15 minutes before midnight one night saying she needed one more customer to get her bonus of £250 before midnight and could I please swap energy suppliers for her to reach her target. I mean 😳 I said no anyway and she made me bloody guilty for it! For ffs! Anyways, we swiftly started avoiding her then as I felt like she was being taken over! Definitely get like she was being in a cult. We fell out (over something else too) she quit Utility warehouse and started a full time job.
3 years later we kinda got talking on snap chat saying we should meet up like old times and then we start talking about diets and how she uses forever living and is using their clean 9 tit and she loses lots of weight with it! Ok fair enough, I said I’m not getting sucked into that as I have a bad relationship with food so it’s not a good idea for me to do it. She advertises raffles for products on Instagram for £5 per number, she barely gets any response from her posts, barely even 1 like. She messaged me asking if I could buy a number, I said ok cos I felt sorry for her and she said I didn’t win but I could buy a product at discount rate... no it’s ok thanks.....
The week after, she messages me, she remembered me saying about how my periods are so bad and “if I had my calculations right, you’re due on this week aren’t you?” 😳 I have a sample here you could try and help your periods... oh my bleeping god!!! I haven’t spoken to her again since. These things put you off people and they don’t even know they’re doing it! I’m sure they start with friends and family as they think they can easily manipulate them but all they end up doing is pushing them away!

• Wow
Reactions: 12
To be clear, you don't have a business. Genuinely glad that it's working out for you, though.
So rude. If I want to call it a business I will. You did not need to comment

Sorry if something actively tries to rip off the scent of an established product how is it not a knock off?
Perfume is not copyrighted. They have a logo and a number. High street shops are doing this with designer clothes day in and day out it’s not illegal

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
I have a ‘friend’ that did utility warehouse years ago and was pushing it all the time with us, even messaged me 15 minutes before midnight one night saying she needed one more customer to get her bonus of £250 before midnight and could I please swap energy suppliers for her to reach her target. I mean 😳 I said no anyway and she made me bloody guilty for it! For ffs! Anyways, we swiftly started avoiding her then as I felt like she was being taken over! Definitely get like she was being in a cult. We fell out (over something else too) she quit Utility warehouse and started a full time job.
3 years later we kinda got talking on snap chat saying we should meet up like old times and then we start talking about diets and how she uses forever living and is using their clean 9 tit and she loses lots of weight with it! Ok fair enough, I said I’m not getting sucked into that as I have a bad relationship with food so it’s not a good idea for me to do it. She advertises raffles for products on Instagram for £5 per number, she barely gets any response from her posts, barely even 1 like. She messaged me asking if I could buy a number, I said ok cos I felt sorry for her and she said I didn’t win but I could buy a product at discount rate... no it’s ok thanks.....
The week after, she messages me, she remembered me saying about how my periods are so bad and “if I had my calculations right, you’re due on this week aren’t you?” 😳 I have a sample here you could try and help your periods... oh my bleeping god!!! I haven’t spoken to her again since. These things put you off people and they don’t even know they’re doing it! I’m sure they start with friends and family as they think they can easily manipulate them but all they end up doing is pushing them away!
A 'friend' reached out to me when I recently lost someone and offered some lovely words.....right before plugging their product to help lift my mood😳😳😳😳 lift my mood..i was grieving, I didn't need a mood booster I needed emotional support 😔

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
So rude. If I want to call it a business I will. You did not need to comment

Perfume is not copyrighted. They have a logo and a number. High street shops are doing this with designer clothes day in and day out it’s not illegal
Well, I suppose you can call it what you like.....I prefer to call it what is....a Pyramid Scheme.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I didn't say it was illegal, I said it was a knock off which it is. Anything that tries to replicate something else (designer perfume, bags, clothes etc) is a knockoff even if the original thing isn't copyrighted.
I think you would struggle to find anyone who doesn't have that view if i'm being honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Hi guys, I have known about MLMs for ages, just seeing people I know who do juice plus, but I recently got contacted by some random girl on Instagram talking about how she loves my Instagram page and is looking for open minded people for this business opportunity bla bla bla, sounds dodgy anyway but I looked at her page and she’s an Arbonne girl.. since then I’ve become addicted to researching these scams lol.

this girl I went to school with used to do juice plus but has today posted that she’s leaving juice plus and now doing business bombshells ... and her sister does kangen water, her instagram makes me want to vomit, she calls herself a business coach (she’s 24) posts about how much she loves her life and how she can work from anywhere and her and her boyfriend (he does it too) have financial freedom Etc, they recently bought a house which apparently They were able to do because of this MLM tit, anyway.. I know for a fact that her grandparents bought that house for them and that her and her boyfriend both have full time jobs LOL it’s so cringe

I am also disgusted to find out that fern McCann has started pushing Herbalife.. preying on impressionable young girls that follow her it makes me sick!

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.