MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know if it had been mentioned earlier in the thread but did anyone see the one on Netflix a few months ago about Herbalife? Whole communities are getting themselves into trouble while the fat cats sit at the top. It's disgusting.
Yes, is is utterly horrific. I am currently listening to The Dream , it’s a podcast that someone on here recommended. It is really really good.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: 3
I've been involved in a few so will share my experience
Ann Summers: Sacked! Because I refused to put it before my job and family
Bluebella: Stopped the mlm side
Younique: Crazy expense for what it is. Didn't sell a single item
Acti Labs: Don't get me started on this. Really bad experience and was bullied by the owner
Fm: Still with, only put in an order every now and again. Find the perfumes to be amazing and long lasting
Avon: Only just joined as its currently free with commission from £1 of sales. No upline support though

Have, as a customer, did juice plus. No weight lost at all, not particularly nice and the company is full of fakes. One leader claims JP is how she lost her weight but won't admit she's had weight loss surgery even though she posted years ago she had. Fell pregnant. Was told it was fine to drink during pregnancy and it would stop SPD happening. Dr made a formal complaint to Juice Plus head office.
Yes a lot of mlms are awful and I've discovered that through painful experiences but the 2 I have, I can't complain. They know I'm not bothered about advancing but just want to sell here and there (plus I think the Avon lady for my estate hates me as I didn't sign under her. I've already told her I have no plans to poach her territory)
What keeps you coming back to them?

Reactions: 2
What keeps you coming back to them?
Avon and Fm purely because i like the products. Apart from Acti-labs and younique I did all the others between 2010/2011. I have no plans to recruit or expand with the companies. Its purely so I get cheaper products.
The other reason is I won't make all the claims that some people do. I'm brutely honest with what I use. If I don't like a particular product and someone asks ill explain why. I won't post all the earn £1000s in your first week etc. I'm in purely to get cheaper products.

I’m looking forward to starting the Dream. I love the sort of podcast that look into some sort of shady goings on like a cult or corrupt business or a dodgy person like Jeffrey Epstein or Bernie madoff , and gets into details that blow your mind over a series of episodes. That sounds very specific but I guess I just mean long form investigative ones.

Reactions: 5
I know of one MLM woman from the school gates. She's really mousey - but online she is shameless, constantly shouting about how amazing her life it and how much freedom they have when I happen to know the husband works full time, she has at least 2 part time jobs (possibly 3) and they are obviously skint. And they are like Regional Executive Managers with a downline. Just because you stand next to a white merc in your photos doesn't mean you own it.

Reactions: 11
The amount of messages i receive on facebook from people im not even fb friends with “hey i was looking at your profile and i thought that you would LOVE to join my business opportunity” well the opportunity cant be that good if youre messaging me 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The amount of messages i receive on facebook from people im not even fb friends with “hey i was looking at your profile and i thought that you would LOVE to join my business opportunity” well the opportunity cant be that good if youre messaging me 🤣
Yeah I always think that! When they post endlessly about how you should come join them in this amazing opportunity...if it was truly that amazing you wouldn’t want the extra competition. Just shows the money is in recruiting not in the product.

Reactions: 5
I had a friend who did Juice Plus, she kept bragging how much money she was making and same with her upline. The upline went and bought an Audi convertible to prove that she was earning big money. Now i don't hear from any of them about it (glad really as she used to post 12 posts a day on facebook and i got really pissed off with it) , they have both given it up and got new full time jobs. Oh and the upline traded in her audi for a less powerful and much older car.
She even set up a go fund me to raise money for her dogs vet fees - thought she was earning loads .....obviously not. Just goes to show it was aload of crap to begin with.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I know someone who sells Herbalife, she posts the usual everyday ‘look how amazing my life is now’ and ‘I’m earning so much money’, not to mention the same 3 filtered photoshopped selfies she rotates through. She forgets people see her in real life - constantly out and about in her pyjamas looking like a scruff on the school run, always with a fag hanging out her gob. I do pity people who fall for them.

Reactions: 6
I had a friend who did Juice Plus, she kept bragging how much money she was making and same with her upline. The upline went and bought an Audi convertible to prove that she was earning big money. Now i don't hear from any of them about it (glad really as she used to post 12 posts a day on facebook and i got really pissed off with it) , they have both given it up and got new full time jobs. Oh and the upline traded in her audi for a less powerful and much older car.
She even set up a go fund me to raise money for her dogs vet fees - thought she was earning loads .....obviously not. Just goes to show it was aload of crap to begin with.
A friend of mine did Juice Plus for a while and in her efforts to recruit me (she didn’t!) she suggested I follow some of the top leaders to see what I could achieve 🤣 and yes it was all the stereotypical “look at my car/designer bag/new house” etc, which they all brag about. But what really made me laugh was my friend posting on Facebook that she was getting a Range Rover Evoque - she’d literally only moved up a couple of positions so I knew her commission was only in the £100s still, but she was just desperate to promote her affluent lifestyle! She forgot to mention her husband bought the car, not her 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 1
I remember my friend going for a meeting about starting forever living, telling me about it after trying to convince me hard it wasn’t a pyramid scheme... Etc. It’s not for me anyway but just no 😂
Beingbrittney - has a thread on here in instagramers, she’s mlm for nu skin, built her followers up from being successful through slimming world and now uses that following to shill her nu skin crap, she’s under Tayla*blu whatever her name is!

The "travel business" lots of accounts are going on about at the moment is an mlm scheme. They are all so vague about it and just keep calling it "this business" and how amazing it is and how you can travel loads and for cheaper etc. I looked into it and one side of the business is being a travel agent but the other side is marketing where you are paid to recruit others. The "business owners" pay something like £150 to join and then pay monthly I think £30 ish. They can then book holidays, but their main thing is recruiting as they earn from who they recruit, then they'll earn from who they then recruit etc etc. That's obviously why they make it sound sooooo amazing, so they can recruit others and make money off them.

Another mlm I know is partylite, it's quite expensive but I do love their tealight candles, I can never find anything anywhere near as nice 🤔 They used to only do parties back in the day but you can order online now. I'm not sure what they're like as a company, but I do love their stuff.

I’m looking forward to starting the Dream. I love the sort of podcast that look into some sort of shady goings on like a cult or corrupt business or a dodgy person like Jeffrey Epstein or Bernie madoff , and gets into details that blow your mind over a series of episodes. That sounds very specific but I guess I just mean long form investigative ones.
Is there any you'd recommend, this is exactly my taste in podcasts! I'm really picky though, I hate a lot of the ones I try 🤣 I've just listened to the Crypto Queen one, the Anna Delvey one and the Benazir Bhutto one.

Is there any you'd recommend, this is exactly my taste in podcasts! I'm really picky though, I hate a lot of the ones I try 🤣 I've just listened to the Crypto Queen one, the Anna Delvey one and the Benazir Bhutto one.
You have the same taste as me too, I have listened to all of those.
The Dropout is very good too.

Reactions: 2
If you see someone posting about how their new business has changed their life and how everyone needs to join - you can guarantee it’s an mlm scam.

Reactions: 16
Is tropic an mlm? I have a "friend" who has asked if i want to become an ambassador. Im no salesperson so refused but interested in the company
Hi I sell Tropic, yes it's an MLM but it's a very ethical one (dont all jump on me let me explain!)
I started as I had been trying to do Avon to help get any extra income when my hubby was made redundant. I'm an avid label reader and wasnt happy with their products containing certain chemicals. I heard about Tropic as it's natural and vegan - genuinely, they wont even use honey unlike other cruelty free companies.
I thought I'd sign up and worst case I had products for me. I genuinely love the products, which I think is key to these businesses- you have to have a genuine products and genuinely love and use it with proven results.
Tropic are extremely supportive to work for - no minimum monthly orders, do whatever you want to, never ever any pressure from any upline, it's totally frowned upon.
On their own company social media pages they actively encourage customers to buy via a local Ambassador rather than keep the commission themselves.
Anyone who goes into an MLM expecting easy results is mistaken. I've been with Tropic 4 years, built a little team slowly and lm happy with how it fits into my life. I dont ask people to join, they've all been customers who have approached me. I dont post 'hun' posts, I dont do flashy look what i earned posts as I'm happy enough using the products myself and selling what I do as and when.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Have you tried Dr Death? If not, it's about a dodgy Neurosugeon and it's really good, 6 or so episodes.

Behind the Bastards covers all sorts of bastards, but if you search for episodes with Billy Wayne Davis they're mostly ones about medical scammers, including 2-parters about Young Living (crazy story) and those people who drink bleach to cure autism. There are also episodes about Epstein, and the ones about John Mcafee (the virus software guy) are insane. BTB isn't investigative, but the host does a lot of research; definitely interesting.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I loved the Crypto Queen and Anna Delvey ones! I'll try the others.
And I love that documentary about MLM on iplayer - its shocking how companies and people can prey on insecurities.

Someone I met on travels worked for Younique. She lives in America and I don't so the concept was really interesting to me because it looked liked the american dream does it not? Selling make-up and she got a car! It looked great. So I contacted her and asker her if I could join but they dont sell where I live. To be honest I just wanted to make some money.. So when they started selling in my country she contacted me and I was no longer interested in it. Then she started adding my facebook friends to her list and herassing them! I said that's enough and I blocked her. Its so vile.

Have you tried Dr Death? If not, it's about a dodgy Neurosugeon and it's really good, 6 or so episodes.

Behind the Bastards covers all sorts of bastards, but if you search for episodes with Billy Wayne Davis they're mostly ones about medical scammers, including 2-parters about Young Living (crazy story) and those people who drink bleach to cure autism. There are also episodes about Epstein, and the ones about John Mcafee (the virus software guy) are insane. BTB isn't investigative, but the host does a lot of research; definitely interesting.
You have the same taste as me too, I have listened to all of those.
The Dropout is very good too.
These all sound great thank you for the recommendations! I was trying to find some more about MLMs a while ago but didn't have much luck.

I can't say much about it on here but in my professional life I've been involved in compliance for MLMs, I did some work with some who were very high up in an aloe one, since knowing the ins and outs of their financials I've had a real interest in all this.

I know Mumsnet gets slated on here but they've had some very long running gossip threads on MLMs and the more well known people involved in them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.