MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My friends always posting about how she makes amazing money every Friday, message to join her team and promotions.

No idea what she actually sells 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I recently deleted my Facebook but before it was flooded with girls from my hometown aggressively forcing their pyramid MLM scheme down everyone’s throat. The same copied and pasted fake statements stating how amazing these products are, they couldn’t live without them, blah blah, when it’s clear to see it’s all just overpriced rubbish! I recently watched the iPlayer doc on MLMs and also Betting on Zero on Netflix, v. interesting and also sad to see how these companies prey on vulnerable individuals and care about little more than £££.

Reactions: 2
An acquaintance of mine and her husband both sell Arbonne and seem to do really well from it; it's the only job that they both do and they both have the white Mercedes. I think they make a good income as they've built a big team up.

An acquaintance of mine and her husband both sell Arbonne and seem to do really well from it; it's the only job that they both do and they both have the white Mercedes. I think they make a good income as they've built a big team up.
This is what I’m trying to get to the bottom of. I just can’t see how a business could be sustainable and give that much money to reps.

I know the cars are on lease and I don’t think it’s guaranteed that the company will pay it every month. It’s either you hit your target or you’re on the hook.

I’m much happier in my normal job that pays me every month, sorts my tax and pays me sick and holiday 👍🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 9
This is what I’m trying to get to the bottom of. I just can’t see how a business could be sustainable and give that much money to reps.

I know the cars are on lease and I don’t think it’s guaranteed that the company will pay it every month. It’s either you hit your target or you’re on the hook.

I’m much happier in my normal job that pays me every month, sorts my tax and pays me sick and holiday 👍🏻
Yes, from what I have heard you get a car allowance each month to pay the lease for your car (which you have to take out in your name but it has to have the Arbonne logo on it). If you don't meet targets then you don't get your car allowance but would still be liable for the lease payments.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
This means they have to keep making enough money to get the perks for the car as it’s just basically being paid for monthly by the MLM company, if they end up never reaching that sales level again or quit the MLM they are still entirely responsible for making that car payment

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Two FM World reps in my FB friends list have posted today an email screenshot saying they’re off to Maldives. How do these incentive trips work, there is no way that this company can pay all expenses trip for literally hundreds of people surely?

Also the cynic in me was like that’s the exact same screenshot they’ve posted 😂 they’re not friends on fb.

Anyone know what the deal is here?
My Avon upline went to Malaysia I am not sure what sales/ targets she had to meet to go I will ask her.

I have only won an iPod and a place at the president's club gala dinner so far.

Well someone I follow apparently made £40k helping girls achieve financial freedom last month 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
The Mercedes is a rental. If you fall behind on making enough money from Arbonne, you're left with the debt of it. Nothing but a scam. Also the Mercedes has to have the Arbonne decal on it so it looks tacky as duck.

Reactions: 6
So these "car bonus" posts and promotions I see are for car leases? I wouldn't want that pressure on me.

Reactions: 5
Since lockdown I had 5 people on Facebook start the body shop one. I've only got 200ish Facebook friends. Now I have 5 less. They added me to their groups everytime I rejected it, one was even cheeky enough to inbox me asking me to buy some £15 banana shampoo!

Reactions: 4
They make me so mad. When I finished uni I applied for a marketing job. The advert on indeed looked completely legitimate. Had a salary, all the normal looking spiel- nothing like the job I got interviewed for. Being as young and naive as I was, I never thought anything was wrong with being called on the same day I applied, or having an interview the next day. When I passed a 5 minute interview they made me feel flattered- now I see it as it is, pure manipulation. I went along to a second interview/ taster day where they took me to one of their “sites” and played along with their little interview tasks. I got to the site which was literally a street with two people selling broadband. They tried to sell me into this whole “you’ll only be selling on the streets for a couple of weeks- then you’ll be a ceo if your own company” bullshit. As soon as I figured out there was no salary and it was actually just commission I was out. Indeed refused to do anything about the advert. The things I take away from my experience and looking into schemes like this:
- they take advantage of poor/jobless/low income individuals promising them a solution that can actually leave them worse off than before.
-they thrive on oppressed, desperate and vulnerable individuals and times. The job situations around COVID feed into businesses like these.
-they profit because the people pulling the strings have little to no overheads, pay no wages but get tax relief for being a business owner. The more people they have selling, the more they get.

I honestly wish that one day there’ll be a crackdown on them. But I can’t see it happening 😔
This happened to me!! It would have been 2011, like you say a totally legit looking marketing job in central Manchester advertised on indeed. Got a call back the same day I applied for an interview the next morning. I was working as bar staff at the time and it makes me feel really bad because my mum got really excited about the job prospect and took me shopping to make sure I looked the part and probably put it all on her credit card.

Anyway I got there and even naive 19 year old me could see it was a bit suspect. Sort of a 'rent an office' set up down a backstreet, not the flashy offices I had imagined. The interview was with this really slick guy in an expensive looking suit and nice watch who came across almost like he was on something, hardly asked me anything in the 5 minutes just went on about the earning potential and that I would only get the 'salary' if I hit the sales targets. Never actually said what it was I would be selling, said I had got the job and to come back the following week to start which would initially be 'field sales' then ushered me out of the door before I could ask anything.

Left feeling really weird, got home and did some digging on forums and found out it was door to door cold calling selling something really random, think it was some kind of disability furniture and what was even worse is that people who had written the posts said their team leaders told them to purposely prey on poorer areas where there would be gullible old people. I am so glad I read all that and didn't end up going. Can't even remember what the company was called now, wish I could. Just goes to show the lengths some scammers will go to, they must have no conscience whatsoever.

Also seen loads of girls I know get involved in blatant MLMs since lockdown, 'Tropics' skincare seems to be a new one?? This sounds awful but some of the girls/women who have got involved are not the best lookers and have terrible skin from bad diet/smoking etc, never going to con anyone into thinking it's so amazing. I'll stick to my Aldi serum thank you 😂

Reactions: 6
The best way to think of MLMs is to remember the phrase “If it sounds too good to be true then it almost certainly is”. 🤔

Reactions: 12
Kiki chanel on youtube is fabulous explaining and showing how bad mlms are 😊
Someone recommended her earlier in the thread and I was really glad to discover her. It’s nice to see someone doing the ‘lifestyle make up vlogger’ thing but having another niche going for them too; meaning they are slightly interesting and stand out among all the shallow vanity of that scene . the girl is actually smart as hell.

Reactions: 2

If you’ve got a big team usually you have to hit a certain amount of sales each month to earn commission off them but in forever a lot of the bigger earners would buy their stock first day of the month and hit their target as they were earning so much off their team. I deleted them all of my fb now but occasionally I see things come up from friends of friends anc it’s still the same people earning big so it seems if you got in at the right time you did well and the people in your team are just your Minions to earn you money. Some do earn big but I think you lose friends along the way

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.