MLM’s - what’s the deal? (Multi-level marketing/aka pyramid selling)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey, don’t feel ashamed or blame yourself, the people at the top who designed this insidious, manipulative scam can’t be let off the hook! As you said yourself you were mentally and emotionally vulnerable at the time - that and the fact that it was with post natal depression ie you were a new mother made you their ideal target. They deliberately prey on stay at home mothers, physically exhausted but possibly mentally under stimulated looking to do something productive that doesn’t compromise childcare. They sell them an unattainable dream by feeding in to common anxieties and insecurities, and if the mother has post natal depression or something similar that’s a bonus! They are an easier target.
How revolting is that?

But the very fact it’s been so successful and made these people so much money shows you aren’t stupid for being led on- because so many others have been too. Many perfectly intelligent decent women, taken advantage of at their lowest.
The fact your friend missed her kids birthday is a scary example of how they can take over your brain and personality. A cult indeed! You should be proud of yourself for breaking away, it’s not easy.

I’m just going to post the link to this amazing documentary again
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p076n2hg

Might be too close to home for anyone whose been through it but I think it’s good to get an over view of the tricks and dubious tactics used. I’ve nothing but sympathy for anyone caught up in that, even those who don’t yet realise it.
I’ve stayed in touch with a few of the ladies who did it and they all have a history with depression/anxiety/pnd. So that is something positive that’s come out of it I’ve made a genuine network of friends. My upline in the other hand the last message I had from her was about four years ago questioning what I would do for childcare now I was back at work. Trying to make me feel guilty essentially but luckily by then I saw right through. Thanks for your nice post :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve stayed in touch with a few of the ladies who did it and they all have a history with depression/anxiety/pnd. So that is something positive that’s come out of it I’ve made a genuine network of friends. My upline in the other hand the last message I had from her was about four years ago questioning what I would do for childcare now I was back at work. Trying to make me feel guilty essentially but luckily by then I saw right through. Thanks for your nice post :)
Ugh the emotional blackmail of implying that your child’s needs would be compromised by breaking away, is so low but not at all surprising! It’s so infuriating so many of these operations continue to operate by getting around the pyramid selling definition on a technicality.

The fact you say this was four years ago and yet they continue to flourish!
I’m going to put it out there and say I think this is one of those thing that if it was targeted at scamming money from young career driven men (say) would have been shut down years ago. But this exploits some of the most alienated and voiceless women in society - young mothers. And if not mothers then women from the lowest financial strata.

And it’s just brushed off as those “silly women spamming Facebook selling mascaras”. “Did they really think they’d be a millionaire?””haha” But lives are being ruined by this. Meagre savings and financial safety nets literally stolen from them. Yet it continues...

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Ugh the emotional blackmail of implying that your child’s needs would be compromised by breaking away, is so low but not at all surprising! It’s so infuriating so many of these operations continue to operate by getting around the pyramid selling definition on a technicality.

The fact you say this was four years ago and yet they continue to flourish!
I’m going to put it out there and say I think this is one of those thing that if it was targeted at scamming money from young career driven men (say) would have been shut down years ago. But this exploits some of the most alienated and voiceless women in society - young mothers. And if not mothers then women from the lowest financial strata.

And it’s just brushed off as those “silly women spamming Facebook selling mascaras”. “Did they really think they’d be a millionaire?””haha” But lives are being ruined by this. Meagre savings and financial safety nets literally stolen from them. Yet it continues...
There was one girl who was really struggling to make ends meet and the upline suggested she drive to Birmingham (an hour away) to drop
off some products for a potential customer to try. She couldn’t afford the petrol and then her commitment was questioned. My friend who had got this girl involved did step in at that point and said no that’s not reasonable. I’m lucky I have a lot of family support for childcare anyway so the guilt was never really there for having to leave them as they loved being their grandparents. I feel like I learned a lot (not necessarily good stuff 😂) but I’ve come out of it stronger even though I was at rock bottom and that probably pushed me further down under the guise of raising you up!

Reactions: 10
I'm finding post from randoms on Facebook who now claim to be travel reps it all seems part of this pyramid scheme. I only had a private dm from someone selling their "well being business" this week saying i would be good fit because of work & family life & how active I am & would love a catch up. I've never classed her a "friend" before she just knows i live a healthy life. It's so cringe, I don't need that crap & didn't reply to her.

Reactions: 5
I watched the programme on bbc iplayer after people mention it on here. I can’t honestly believe how many people are sucked in. Its worrying how they do literally pray on the vulnerable.

Reactions: 3
I'm finding post from randoms on Facebook who now claim to be travel reps it all seems part of this pyramid scheme. I only had a private dm from someone selling their "well being business" this week saying i would be good fit because of work & family life & how active I am & would love a catch up. I've never classed her a "friend" before she just knows i live a healthy life. It's so cringe, I don't need that crap & didn't reply to her.
I've had one of these travel rep ones from a girl on Instagram, I don't understand how this one is supposed to work at all?!

As others have said, definitely listen to The Dream podcast if you're interested in this kinda stuff!

Reactions: 5
Arghh I get these too, and it does my head in! Messages from the vaguest of acquaintances, all “hi, how are you . . .” and then launching into their sales patter. Like, you haven’t ever bothered interacting with me before but now you want to be my best friend?! Give me a break! It’s happened a few times, even multiple times from 2 people, and I’ve stopped even replying now!! So fake!

Reactions: 6
I despise MLM especially Avon as it preys on people really down on thei.

Back in university a friend on the course joined Avon because she was desperate for cash and she had to sell a minimum of £140 (I can't remember the exact number) value of products to make any money in terms of commission add on top she needed to order the brochures and everything she was out almost £200 by the end of 3 months when she gave it up because her upline were horrible wanting her to sell more and more so they made more commission or were stealing potentially interested people for their orders.

I was one of these preyed upon people that “worked” with N*skin for a time. Wow the messages we would get on the daily and the tit they would spout is similar to gaslighting and very very manipulative it’s scary! A girl I used to play netball against had managed to pull a blinder, she is successful in her own right as an accountant, lovely home, life etc etc and was one of “the popular ones” growing up so when she started getting all these girls joining her I was like why not because these girls aren’t stupid 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Well fast forward about 3weeks they were sending messages like “if you don’t attend an event then we have to question your commitment” 😳 and the first ploy they get you with is that it’s perfect for full time mums or whatever as it needs hardly any work, does it hell!! It needs so so much work it’s unbelievable for very little, if any profit. I would buy products in my credit card so any profit made was paying off new debt not existing.

My up line would be like “invest in this and you’ll get so much back from it” the people like Tayl* Bl*e, her sisters and Amy Lauren S*ith are disgusting, already rich from daddy but claiming it’s because of this MLM. They need arresting for the way they prey on the vulnerable, I feel so strongly about it all, it was a dark time of my life for sure. Falsely built up but made to feel like tit.

* used in case these wannabes have a google alert set up and try to even date defend themselves on here (happened on another thread 🙄)

• Angry
Reactions: 13
Saw this tonight on Instagram (a public/open account) and it’s just infuriated me, this is exactly what’s wrong with the whole fakery of MLMs! This lady’s figure looked great to start with, and there is basically no difference between the photos, except that she’s got better underwear on, standing with much better posture/pose and in different lighting, possibly with a tan kind of filter (or fake tan on)!! Such a con, but just imagine what impressionable young girls will think when they see that!
3A9A6680-B97E-4422-AE03-4C5031B32405.jpeg

• Angry
Reactions: 7
I’ve just joined and had to comment on this as I love talking about MLM. Has anyone listened to the crypto queen podcast? It’s partly about the prevalence of MLM as a way of business in emerging African economies, and selling crypto currency via MLM.

It just goes to show the product is completely irrelevant, it’s just about the recruitment.

Reactions: 9
I’ve just joined and had to comment on this as I love talking about MLM. Has anyone listened to the crypto queen podcast? It’s partly about the prevalence of MLM as a way of business in emerging African economies, and selling crypto currency via MLM.

It just goes to show the product is completely irrelevant, it’s just about the recruitment.
YES. What an INSANE story that turned out to be. I couldn’t believe it when I realised after the first couple of episodes that it didn’t all end when she disappeared. It’s one of the things that make MLMs so successful. They get an initial payment out of you with manipulative fairytales about making money in a easy non time consuming way (wouldn’t we all love that?) After that you are invested in the success of the thing and it becomes harder to persuade someone of the scam despite all the evidence. That clip of the Scottish woman who later came round, first being told (in a quite obnoxious way) that there was no way this cryptocurrency could be real. She had put in thousands and even worse persuaded her family to (what was it ? 40 k total or something ?) No wonder she didn’t want to hear it.
The episode about the one coin beauty pageant was the most nuts of all.
First prize - 100 dollars of one coin !(or something like that )

Reactions: 2
Is tropic an mlm? I have a "friend" who has asked if i want to become an ambassador. Im no salesperson so refused but interested in the company

Is tropic an mlm? I have a "friend" who has asked if i want to become an ambassador. Im no salesperson so refused but interested in the company
I believe people who sell it in their salons get a % of what they sold. I used to buy it off my beautician good products but she nor anyone else I know has tried to recruit people

Oh my god! They are so tone deaf.

The one that’s been massive on my fb lately is FM World. At first it seems they do copy perfumes (hello market stall) but then suddenly they’re shilling cleaning products too! Probably the same bloody stuff in every bottle 😂
I hate MLM schemes. But to be fair, FM fragrances are excellent.

My usual perfume Dior Addict, is £80 a bottle. The FM version smells identical, is Eau de Parfum, and costs less than £30.

I also tried FM on one wrist and Dior on the other and FM lasted longer that day.

Reactions: 1
Yes it’s an MLM. I’ve not tried the products but I believe they’ve had good reviews. It’s still an MLM though.

Has anyone heard of pru vit ? Its a diet thing , sounds to good to be true to be honest , i enquired on an instagram page about the cost but then was told theres a way to get it for free . Sounds like mlm from that .

Reactions: 2
bleeping hate them and will call them out everywhere I go. Something really insidious about someone you know or have been friends with tapping you for money or to join their ‘home based business’

I know a lady who is very involved with one of these. She SEEMS to have done really well and is always jet setting. Her husband has given up work apparently cos she’s earning so much (although I’m not entirely sure what he used to do anyway). It’s all smoke and mirrors obv but she’s very into it and has been for a few years.A few years ago I had a close family member pass away. I got a message pop up in my FB inbox from this lady. I thought ‘aww how lovely of her to check in on me and send her condolences even though we’re not very close’

And she did send her condolences. But then the next line of her message was about me joining her team. I couldn’t believe it. bleeping shameless. Deleted her and told her where to go. Leeches

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.