Missing people and murder cases #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is an interesting thread. I think mine has to be Damian Nettles, he was my age at the time and he just vanished. Crime junkies just did a podcast on the case.

Reactions: 18
I've just finished listening to a fantastic radio 4 series of podcasts called Fairy Meadow all about a little girl called Cheryl who was abducted in Australia in the 1970's. She has never been found. The pain her family felt that day and carry on to have is unimaginable. Her 7 year old brother was with her the second before she disappeared into the female changing rooms at the beach and he didn't follow her in as he felt he couldnt. He shouted for her to come out but she was cheeky and didnt. He went off for the 30 second walk there and back to get his mother but that was it. She was gone. The guilt he holds for losing sight of her is very evident. I highly recommended the podcast.

• Sad
Reactions: 31
Oh yes! Loads! But I am going back to read all the threads first now I have found you all, my kin! 🤓

Reactions: 5
I had some time the last month or so so have been reading up on lots of the cases discussed. From memory sorry if I am repeating any previous posts.

Andrew Golden - Recent arrests, 2 men, out on bail, digital investigation underway, hints that cp found as in mm case but its incredibly time intensive investigatively. The pic of older bald man and kid/woman leaning on railings, it bugs me a lot, I think because the man in it reminds me of a man who sells hotdogs for Jesus on my local high street. I lie not. Parents have given a statement asking for patience whilst police do their thing. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...sted-over-andrew-gosden-disappearance-in-2007

Claudia Lawrence - Landlord movements odd, the men on the cut way seems all very odd??

Beaumont Kids - Been following this for years after a separate case that I became closely aware of crossed paths with it. There was a really interesting thread that turned up a south East Asian ex pats forum a few years ago from the children of a suspect who think (if memory serves on the details) their father and his friends were responsible. Has the concrete well or whatever it was ever been dug up?
- 'Ruth, Andrew and myself have been treated appallingly by the major crime department in our attempts to give harrowing witness accounts of the children and adults whose bodies and murders we witnessed as children. It seems to me that the SA major crime department are either extremely corrupt, or unbelievably naive when it comes to the sordid history of South Australia's unsolved child murders and missing children.'

I’ve been watching the body language guys on youtube this week and was amazed at how guilty Amanda Knox comes across. She is hiding, a lot.

Summer - the whole Candus don debacle is quite nuts, that poor wee girl.

Maddie Mc - Hoping they get the German for it soon, I think his evidence has blown open a number of ca cases worldwide from reading between the lines and may further prosecutions happen to anyone who subsequently bought access to his images

Damian Nettles - there was reddit thread I found that suggested that locals and family do now know, even know poss location of his body, but local police won’t dig I think?? Suggestions of cover up, island life, tourism, posh peoples play ground yachties not wanting bad pr in their play pen. I know the island, had family there, funny old place, reminds me of Guernsey/Jersey in some old school 'we will manage ourselves keep your nose out' kind of way. - quote from that thread '[The informant] told us the same story when we knocked on his door. After weeks of cat and mouse I finally got to speak to the informant. He said: "It was a punch thrown in anger. McNamara never meant to kill Damien, it was a beating that went wrong." He took me to where he had been told Damien was buried.'

I was once involved in a missing case of a good friend, that goes unsolved, though a body was found, post mortem showing very possible strangulation/hyphoid bone issue. A number of my friends friends and I are in agreement who did it but there will never be a legal resolution due to location, some international trickery and nonsense. Due to the fact that said person publicly accused me of being involved I still am careful about security but harbour the hope that one day he will be held publicly responsible for the death of a really good person. The whole experience left a deep mark on me and changed my life, I am somewhat haunted by it all many years later and think of it every day. I hope to ensure that it all comes out in the wash in good time so to speak. What's that phrase? Truth is a dish best served cold.

Reactions: 7
I've just finished listening to a fantastic radio 4 series of podcasts called Fairy Meadow all about a little girl called Cheryl who was abducted in Australia in the 1970's. She has never been found. The pain her family felt that day and carry on to have is unimaginable. Her 7 year old brother was with her the second before she disappeared into the female changing rooms at the beach and he didn't follow her in as he felt he couldnt. He shouted for her to come out but she was cheeky and didnt. He went off for the 30 second walk there and back to get his mother but that was it. She was gone. The guilt he holds for losing sight of her is very evident. I highly recommended the podcast.
Second this. Very good. What are your thoughts on Mercury and whether he was guilty or not?

Reactions: 1
Second this. Very good. What are your thoughts on Mercury and whether he was guilty or not?
I can't make my mind up about Mercury to be honest. He could very well have made it up to get attention or because of mental health problems or drug use as the podcasts mentioned. I do feel like he had lots of details about the place it occurred in his confession but then he could have had that knowledge because he was a regular to the beach. You would think that if he had left her body out in the open on the hill as he said, that they would have found her body in searches but maybe they didn't look there. It's a shame they discounted him all those years ago as he was very willing to talk then.

It just seems crazy that her brother could leave for such a short time to get their mother and Cheryl to disappear. Did she leave the changing rooms and wonder off? Get lost and hurt? Or did a woman in the changing rooms take her somewhere? Sadly I dont think we will ever know.

What did you think?

Reactions: 2
Claudia Lawrence - Landlord movements odd, the men on the cut way seems all very odd?
Well talking of Claudia Lawrence, I was living in the north east at the time, about an hour away from where she disappeared and I was out walking my dog behind my house, tons of fields, the tees etc, and I came across this bag shoved in a hollowed out tree, so I had a look inside and it had a note pad and some sandwich's in it, I thought best just leave it as someone may have misplaced it.

A few days later I was looking through the papers when the police were doing another appeal and they were showing a copy of her bag, and it was exactly the same bag I had found. I was bloody gobsmacked. I contacted the police and claudia's appeal but sadly they were not interested? It possibly wasn't the bag, thinking of the distance but it's always in the back of my mind, what if? Or should I have took it and kept it just in case. I did go back, but it had gone 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
Well talking of Claudia Lawrence, I was living in the north east at the time, about an hour away from where she disappeared and I was out walking my dog behind my house, tons of fields, the tees etc, and I came across this bag shoved in a hollowed out tree, so I had a look inside and it had a note pad and some sandwich's in it, I thought best just leave it as someone may have misplaced it.

A few days later I was looking through the papers when the police were doing another appeal and they were showing a copy of her bag, and it was exactly the same bag I had found. I was bloody gobsmacked. I contacted the police and claudia's appeal but sadly they were not interested? It possibly wasn't the bag, thinking of the distance but it's always in the back of my mind, what if? Or should I have took it and kept it just in case. I did go back, but it had gone 🤷🏻‍♀️
Wasn't she a chef and due at work? Would a chef pack sarnies to go to work in a kitchen?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Wasn't she a chef and due at work? Would a chef pack sarnies to go to work in a kitchen?
Exactly, that's why I always thought what if.... but you never know do you? It was just so odd that I found the exact same bag (colour everything) at that time🤷🏻‍♀️ but I reported it and nothing came of it?

Reactions: 12
[The informant] told us the same story when we knocked on his door. After weeks of cat and mouse I finally got to speak to the informant. He said: "It was a punch thrown in anger. McNamara never meant to kill Damien, it was a beating that went wrong." He took me to where he had been told Damien was buried.'
Was he the local nutter that died of a drug overdose?

Reactions: 4
I can't make my mind up about Mercury to be honest. He could very well have made it up to get attention or because of mental health problems or drug use as the podcasts mentioned. I do feel like he had lots of details about the place it occurred in his confession but then he could have had that knowledge because he was a regular to the beach. You would think that if he had left her body out in the open on the hill as he said, that they would have found her body in searches but maybe they didn't look there. It's a shame they discounted him all those years ago as he was very willing to talk then.

It just seems crazy that her brother could leave for such a short time to get their mother and Cheryl to disappear. Did she leave the changing rooms and wonder off? Get lost and hurt? Or did a woman in the changing rooms take her somewhere? Sadly I dont think we will ever know.

What did you think?
Same as you, I don't really know! I'm leaning more towards him being guilty though. I just can't fathom how a 3 year old can go missing in such a short space of time, and just never be found. Inconceivable. :cry: I do feel so sad for the family that they'll probably never get a trial because the confession is inadmissable, and I can't see any new evidence coming to light now, 50 odd years later.

Reactions: 4
Damian Nettles - there was reddit thread I found that suggested that locals and family do now know, even know poss location of his body, but local police won’t dig I think?? Suggestions of cover up, island life, tourism, posh peoples play ground yachties not wanting bad pr in their play pen. I know the island, had family there, funny old place, reminds me of Guernsey/Jersey in some old school 'we will manage ourselves keep your nose out' kind of way. - quote from that thread '[The informant] told us the same story when we knocked on his door. After weeks of cat and mouse I finally got to speak to the informant. He said: "It was a punch thrown in anger. McNamara never meant to kill Damien, it was a beating that went wrong." He took me to where he had been told Damien was buried.'
It's interesting what you say about island life and bad PR. I have a friend from the same town who went to school with Damien and when I first heard of the case from the BBC documentary I asked her about it. She said that although she remembered Damien and and knew people featured in the documentary, she didn't want to watch anything that might show the island in a negative light and that people from the town didn't really talk about it. She said that when posters are put up about Damien they are promptly removed, like people want to erase his disappearance from history as if it never happened.

I got the feeling that the family didn't get as much local support at the time as one might have expected from such a close-knit community, because people wanted to bury their heads in the sand and didn't want the reputation of their sleepy island being tarnished.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Little Miss Nobody, a child Jane Doe discovered on 31st July 1960 has today been identified as Sharon Lee Gallegos. Sharon was abducted in front of her friends or siblings from the alleyway behind her Grandma's house on 21st July 1960, just weeks before her 5th birthday. I have been watching the live press conference by Yavapai County (Arizona) of the announcement of her identification. The detective quite rightly said that he hopes that the name 'Little Miss Nobody' is never used again.
NOW: 'Little Miss Nobody' Identified Decades Later - YouTube

This is proof of how incredible science is. I'm constantly surprised by how old these doe cases are. More information about Sharon and her abduction here:
Sharon Lee Gallegos – The Charley Project
‘Little Miss Nobody’ remains from Arizona cold case identified as New Mexico girl abducted in 1960 (nbcnews.com)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Little Miss Nobody, a child Jane Doe discovered on 31st July 1960 has today been identified as Sharon Lee Gallegos. Sharon was abducted in front of her friends or siblings from the alleyway behind her Grandma's house on 21st July 1960, just weeks before her 5th birthday. I have been watching the live press conference by Yavapai County (Arizona) of the announcement of her identification. The detective quite rightly said that he hopes that the name 'Little Miss Nobody' is never used again.
NOW: 'Little Miss Nobody' Identified Decades Later - YouTube

This is proof of how incredible science is. I'm constantly surprised by how old these doe cases are. More information about Sharon and her abduction here:
Sharon Lee Gallegos – The Charley Project
‘Little Miss Nobody’ remains from Arizona cold case identified as New Mexico girl abducted in 1960 (nbcnews.com)
This is heartbreaking. That poor family spending all these years without answers :( so glad she was identified. Makes me hopeful that other older cases and families will get answers soon

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I’m late to this & only stumbled across the Steven Clark case recently. I’ve now watched the ITV documentary: Accused of murdering our son: Documentary about missing Steven Clark
First aired in April 2021.

So, my first thought is - why isn’t the sister mentioned at all?
Maybe she didn’t want to be featured in the documentary, but there isn’t a word about her, where she was the day he went missing or how she misses her brother?? It said there was only a year between them I think?
The parents were both employed by the police at a point - but for a very short time (strange?) but they seemed so uneducated about police procedures?
I felt throughout the documentary they were in good humour - often laughing. They were delighted to be cleared of the murder - - ecstatic! which is fair enough - to a certain extent - but neither of them seemed heartbroken that their son was still missing assumed murdered?
I thought it was really strange for the father to mention that he told Stephen he wasn’t going to pay for this football ticket? Considering they also mentioned he couldn’t find a job due to his disability and that the father also called him something like “a tight fisted wee boy” or words to that effect. Very odd language to use? Especially in these circumstances?

I can’t get over the fact the mother simply left those toilets and went home without either entering the mens toilets or asking someone else to? They also said they could not prove the father was actually at the football match.
I really feel there is more to this. I really felt they were holding back on their relationship with their son.
I really do hope Steven ran away & made a new life for himself, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they had of killed him either. They both come across extremely cold. It sounds like Steven had a lovely relationship with his nan. Suicide could have been a possibility too?
Hopefully one day the truth will come out.

Reactions: 15
It's 13 years today since Claudia Lawrence went missing. I think the police know who killed her but can't prove it.
So sad her Dad died before they found out what happened to her.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.