Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

avabella

VIP Member
The victim blaming on Facebook is rife and I come here and see some comments too. Poor man barely dead and being blamed for his choices 🥴
---
One thing I do wish people would stop mentioning is about him being a doctor and being knowledgeable about not going for walks in heat. having worked within the NHS a lot of doctors are medically competent but very lacking in common sense.

Also He was a doctor in qualifying only back in early 80s he didn't practise as a doctor he isn't licensed as a medical doctor and pretty much went straight into television after qualifying.
This!! How do people think everyone gets around when the sun is shining, suddenly start levitating?! He's a grown adult I'm sure he took measured risk and unfortunately his time was up and that's that, probably nothing he could have done to prevent it.

Reactions: 35

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member
I had a mild case of heatstroke a few years ago and can't believe how horrible I felt and how quickly. It's just horribly upsetting to think of how he died.

I'm type 2 diabetic, and off most of my medication thanks to Dr Mosley's advice. And finally GP's are seeing the light with low carb diets. I have most of his books and just feel so incredibly sad - it's most odd when someone has a big impact on your life even though you've never met them. I hope his family are now left quietly alone by the media with their grief.
I must admit I have thought to myself MM did a silly thing but he was obviously fit because the press said he walked that fit bit of coastal path to Pedi in 15 minutes.

But then I remember a weekend away we had last year, the weather in October was unseasonly warm and we walked and walked until suddenly I felt really ill. We found a pub, sat inside and had some drinks and a little food until I felt better.

I'm pre diabetic too which most probably caused it because I’ve never experienced that before. I must lose a stone so I’m going to try harder now in his honour.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

mee43

VIP Member
There is nobody to blame, and certainly not the government. It would be a nanny state overreaction to deny freedom to walk on a path because of an accident.
I agree. And the Mayor, the police, and local people tried so hard to help.
Tragically, for whatever reasons, MM did not make the best decisions that day. I have to admit, I’m baffled as to what would have made him decide to walk back in that extreme heat, rather than wait for the boat. Indeed, I’m willing to bet that locals wouldn’t be out at all in those temperatures unless they had to be.
On any other day, he might have reached his destination feeling very ill, and lived to tell the tale of just how dangerous extreme heat can be.
It’s very very sad that fate was against him this time.

Reactions: 34
Really tropes like this make my blood boil.
I’ve been lurking here, but I feel the need to point out that this isn’t a trope. It’s known as Missing White Woman Syndrome and it very much exists. Claiming that it doesn’t simply adds to the problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Tofino

VIP Member
Not that it matters but I am confused about the he was feeling unwell story, where did that come from? I thought his wife had said it.
There has been so much misinformation in the press these last few days. I don’t know if it’s in their rush to get reports out or things being lost in translation but even when his body was found it went from being found in a cave, to being found at the foot of a 10m cliff next to the entrance to a cave (bbc tv) to actually seeing there was no cave at all and he was next to the resort the other side of the fence.

So I’m not convinced he was unwell when he set off and I’m not convinced he was trying to get home. The only reliable info we can go off really is his wife’s statements. Both of which indicate he had left to go for a walk and then took the wrong route.

So I think it could just be as simple he was on holiday, he wanted to go for a walk, aimed for that beach which is popular with tourists but got into trouble on the way - wrong path, extreme heat, probably not enough water, no phone etc. He was clearly an adventurous person who liked to push himself and in doing so maybe he just misjudged things that day.

• Sad
Reactions: 33

Cack_Conroe

I'm sorry if what I said was offensive, I didn't mean for it to be. It's just my opinion but there is this also for the reasoning behind it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

So it's not something I just randomly came up with, it has been studied.

But maybe this thread and this story was not the time, so I apologise for distracting from Michael.

Eye_Spy - really appreciate your posts. It's so important that there are people who are in the know and can relay such facts in the very calm and respectful way you did to sort out what we are dealing with from the jumbled media reporting.

I feel so much for Michael's family as time ticks on. I keep checking to see if there is any positive news, it's got in my head a bit this story. It's just very sad as things currently stand.
It is a trope, and it's despicable.

Rather than placing the blame on the authorities, the very name places the blame squarely on the shoulders of missing and murdered young women and children - as if being slaughtered then having your demise exploited for public consumption is a privilege.

Firstly, murdered women and little girls should never, ever be considered "privileged", no matter what. They have faced the ultimate disadvantage of having their lives ended.

Secondly, it is only a very small and particular subset of white women and girls who may get disproportionate attention. They have to be attractive, middle class, have media-savvy family or supporters, and have an interesting aspect to the disappearance or murder that gets attention.

The vast majority of missing people don't get media attention, regardless of race. There are thousands upon thousands of cases that most people have never heard of. The sheer number of unidentified white bodies in the USA attests to this.

By making this about race, instead of lifting others up, it is an attempt to prevent resources being given to missing white people, which will simply make things even worse for the vast majority of them who actually don't get much attention in the first place. This will end up disadvantaging unattractive, working class or disadvantaged white women, and all white men.

It also leads to complaining whenever some unfortunate missing white person makes the news. Such as now.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

Affiliatedlink

Chatty Member
Last July my husband and I went to Greece just a few days before the fires started. It was 35degrees + every day, I’m fairly fit, walk my dog 2-3 miles every day etc so we decided to go for a walk after breakfast to the nearby village.
It was our first full day and the hotel staff said it was about a mile to the village, I was wearing a floaty cotton dress with sleeves a crossbody bag with bottle of water so thought nothing of it. Only a few hundred metres up the hill about 20 mins and I was already reaching for my water, it was all uphill and became a real struggle for me although my husband was marching on moaning how unfit I was! It was clearly more than a mile.. more like 2 with no shade. My head was banging and I was sweating so much, I was slightly panicking how I felt and thankfully round a corner was a small taverna so we stopped for a drink. I was shocked at my face which was blotchy beetroot, my heart was pounding, I had to take deep breaths to calm myself.
Once I felt ok we carried on as we had basically reached the village but it was a taxi journey back!
Just shows being fit or not doesn’t matter in scorching heat.

Eye_Spy

Chatty Member
I think a lot of the stuff about the phone is a red herring and reporting getting mistranslated. A man of that generation isn’t usually glued to their phone like a teenager. Unless he was expecting a very urgent call or had a work meeting scheduled (neither of which have been stated), he probably just forgot the phone. Provided his wife had her phone, that’s the emergency contact point for the family covered, so making a six mile round trip just to collect it in that heat isn’t likely. He left at 1:30pm, then boat taking the rest of the party away from the beach was at 4pm, if he made that round trip there’s a chance he would miss the boat and have to walk another 3 miles to get back again, and it would be pointless anyway, just exhausting and very little time left for further time on the beach.

it’s more likely he just doesn’t enjoy sunbathing etc as much as the others and felt like he wanted a walk. The thing about the phone is that it alerted the others when they arrived back that he hadn’t been back to the accommodation. If he had gone back and then decided to go out again such as to go down to the seafront and have a beer at a bar (he was on holiday so of course he may havE done that), if he’s generally considerate his wife would have expected a note or for him to have taken the phone to have been contactable.

They left the beach at 4pm, so unless they stopped somewhere en-route they likely were back at the accommodation by around 5-6pm. Not everyone updates each other on their every move by text message, some people just assume all is well unless they’ve heard otherwise. There wasn’t necessarily any reason to feel any concern until the phone was discovered. The phone itself isn’t the concerning thing…it’s what it implies…that he didn’t return to the accommodation in all that time. In itself maybe not an immediate worry…his wife would know whether it was. If is in his nature to stop off somewhere for food/drink on the way home and get talking to people, on holiday where there is no work or deadlines etc, maybe him not being there isn’t a major panic immediately. There’s a difference between ‘missing’ and just not knowing where someone is. It’s possible as it’s a small town that they did something like took a car or walk to the main area with bars/cafes and did a quick scout for him there…it’s summer and hot, someone can easily loose track of time if social or drinking. If the people they are staying with live on the island they may also have done some obvious checking like calling the local a&e to check he wasn’t admitted as they would know where to phone/look.

It depends on what would be his normal habits and expected behaviour. Him not being there at the accommodation as soon as they returned might not have been an immediate call to the police, they may not have assumed something bad had happened just because he wasn’t there, or even because the phone was still there.

The really significant thing about the phone is that it makes it much less likely that he made it back to the accommodation. What is means is he was ‘missing’ from 1:30pm, whereas if he had collected the phone or left some other sign he’d been back…the timing of his being missing would have been later. The missing from 1:30pm part is what caused the rescue effort to focus on the coastal path as the most likely place a person could fall and land unnoticed. It also means that by the time the police we called he’d been missing for significantly longer so than if he had collected the phone, meaning given the circumstances of the coastal route and presumably they were convinced he wasn’t the type to be inconsiderate and make his wife worry if he was just in a pub…meant they sprung into action quickly.

I really don’t think there is anything weird about the phone issue…I think it’s been miscommunicated in the media and it’s really just relevant because it puts a time-stamp on where he was last confirmed as being alive and well (1:30pm) as earlier than if there had been signs he’d visited the accommodation. The cctv now confirmed as being him at apx 2pm moves that forward. But that still doesn’t help much because him not disappearing on the coast path widens the search not narrows it. There’s also the possibility that if he became confused (which is now looking a the most likely scenario given the safety of where he was and his medical history), he might have turned around and gone back over that same coast path…meaning they still can’t rule that area out even though he made it safely to Pedi.

If being in a state of confusion is the most likely theory the police are working on, that’s probably the hardest to deal with in terms of search…because there may be no logic in the route or direction he headed.

Latest reports are saying sniffer dogs are now deployed, which is possibly their best chance of finding him. He could be doing something strange like sheltering/hiding under an upturned boat in a confused and frightened state if he’s had a sudden memory issue. He might be feeling confusion as to why he is in that country alone and with no phone and intentionally hiding in fear. The previous time he had the memory issue it was resolved by the next morning, but if you add dehydration into that it could be it doesn’t then resolve.

The wife/friends called the police apx 7:30pm to make a missing persons report. I don’t think that seems odd at all. They may have only just got back, or just assumed he was somewhere nearby and tried to look for him themselves first. Sometimes people can also be hesitant to call the police because it makes that fear they are dreading about the situation feel more ‘real’ and they are hoping they are ‘worrying over nothing’. There’s also his fame, it would become a news story in the uk very quickly, and if it turned out he was just in the pub and unaware his wife considered him to be ‘missing’ it would be embarrassing. I think 7:30pm is a perfectly reasonable time to raise the alarm. A lot of people wouldn’t even do it that early, but doing it at that early evening time shows that it was out of character for him to leave his wife in a situation where she wouldn’t know his general whereabouts. He clearly can’t be the type that would just stay in the pub until closing and remain out of contact, otherwise she wouldn’t have assumed the police were needed until later in the night.

If you were in the uk and called the police at 7:30pm to report that a generally healthy man with no obvious mental health vulnerability had not returned home after only being last in contact since lunchtime and was out for a walk in a place generally considered safe and where members of the public would see them or in a small town area….I doubt they would spring into action that quickly to assume misadventure, they’d be at least waiting until it got dark. They don’t even do that when teenagers don’t come home when expected, they usually assume at least until after dark that someone is just out of contact intentionally or lost their phone or forgotten to tell family their plans.

Presumably the Greek police were convinced very quickly that not returning by that time was completely out of character, or thought there were other factors such as this 2019 memory loss episode that warranted it being an instant emergency response as they were starting the search very quickly after he was reported missing.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Same. I think a heart attack or another stroke.
He said he wasn't feeling well before he left so he was silly to go on the walk in the first place. I bet his poor wife feels terrible that she didn't stop him.
I don't understand this attitude. How can you stop another adult from doing something? She might have tried, but couldn't have stopped him if he was determined.

rockhoppernroll

Chatty Member
I feel the same Scarlett. I'm so sad for him and his family.
Me too. Not been affected by a news story so badly in ages. I have struggled with weight issues my whole life and Fast 800 literally saved me from prediabetes and finally was a way of life i could commit to long term, because I actually lost weight! I’m so thankful for how engaging he was and for his and Clare’s recipes. They became such a huge part of my life. Feel like such a weirdo for saying so but I think there are many of us out there who were really changed for the better by his (and their!) work.

• Heart

Eye_Spy

Chatty Member
He may not even have been lost. He may have just made the decision to walk intentionally to the marina, have drink/lunch there and then walk back again in time to meet the others for the 4pm water taxi or get the bus. It might just be that he didn’t know it was a treacherous path or how long it was, he may have expected a similar walk to the earlier coast path if no-one had specially warned him it wasn’t a well used and safe route. It seems he was known for enjoying walking generally, he had an umbrella and possibly plenty of water in his backpack, the most likely scenario is that he just didn’t anticipate the danger.

Reactions: 31

nettleteareader

VIP Member
What makes me so sad is how he was determined to outlive his male relatives by changing his diet and getting into fitness, only for this tragic accident to happen before he got to reach 70 :(. I remember reading an article only a couple of weeks ago about how he was taking vitamin D tablets daily to prolong his life.

Edit: BBC 1 will be airing a tribute programme for him on Friday 14th June at 8pm.
This has been my overriding thought since he died. He didn't want to die relatively young like his father. He was determined to be as healthy as possible. It's all so desperately sad.

• Sad

Tofino

VIP Member
Mirror are reporting it.

---
Sky news reporting he was found in a cave

• Sad
  • Wow

Multi-21

VIP Member
This is strange thing since Nicole Bulley! Look how long it took to find her and she was only few miles down the river. I don’t think we are getting told the full picture..why did it take his wife so long to alert he was missing? Did she not have her phone on her too? Where is his umbrella? Why did his wife let him go for a walk if he was not feeling too good in the heat?
The reporting timeline is not strange at all as they simply didn’t realise he was ‘missing’ for a few hours. He was on his own and they could assume he had walked home and was there waiting for them, maybe having a nap if he wasn’t feeling too good. Until they arrived home in the early evening and he wasn’t there was nothing to suggest he was missing.
They’ve then had a scout around themselves and reported it. It could be an over reaction to phone the police as soon as they arrived home and he wasn’t there. As it turns out he is missing but I don’t think people call the police as soon as they don’t know where someone is. He’s not a child, it’s perfectly reasonable that he could have gone elsewhere and not been ‘missing’ at all.
Someone earlier put it very well in that there is a difference between your wife/friends not knowing where you are and being a missing person

asumgal

That recent fasting and cardio risk study was immediately rebutted by several reputable sources. Intermittent fasting is not recommended for some conditions but for many it has proved a revelation and kick-started a new healthy eating lifestyle and long lasting weight loss. I really hope nothing bad comes out of the woodwork about him. I must say I'd be very surprised and disappointed.
My guess is also that it's been a tragic accident due to heat exhaustion and dehydration and he wandered off to find a bit of shade and is lying behind a rock somewhere.

• Heart

Tangerine Cat

VIP Member
What’s so terrible is his last moments according to media reports were spent zig zagging and crawling over the rocks before passing out and falling to the ground. Bless him, he was desperate to try and get help from where he was!
Sadly, I think he would not have survived even if he'd been seen and helped at that time.

If you read the article of what heatstroke does to you a few pages earlier, it says your stomach releases its liquids, I suppose in an effort to get any fluid into the body, but stomach juices contain toxins which poison you.

It's so sad that he was probably just one minute from help though. If he'd just taken more water with him he'd be recovering in hospital by now and have another story to tell.

It's quite shocking that in 2 hours he went from being healthy and fine to take a long walk to dying.

• Sad

Scarlett O' Hara

VIP Member
Devastating. I hope he didn't suffer too much, God love him. RIP. What a tragic scenario. The pain his family must be enduring is unimaginable. :cry:

• Sad

Boxatrix

This is how my grandmother died. Not while out in hot temperatures in Greece, just here in Scotland going about her daily business for shopping. Just dropped dead totally out of the blue, they said she was dead before she even hit the ground. I guess for the person concerned they had no idea and didn't suffer. But a very big shock for the family left behind.
I'm really sorry to hear that about your granny. Sudden death is a truly dreadful shock for loved ones.

It's actually how my dad died as well. He was getting dressed. He sat on the edge of the bed and crossed his legs to tie his shoelace and then - just fell backwards. His other shoelace wasn't tied, which is how the doctor could tell what had happened.

• Sad
  • Heart