Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Old Soak

VIP Member
This really can happen to anyone, to any family. In 2017 my little sister went missing. It was high profile because we blanketed the city in missing posters. People had no choice but to take notice which was the intention. She was found exactly where she was reported missing, not by the police, but by my desperate mom, deceased in a stairwell. She was 22, her 23rd birthday was the day after she was found. Someone hurt her and is in prison. We can go on all day about the wisdom of going out on a hot day, or bringing your phone or drinking too much….but no one will second guess how anything they could have done differently might have changed things more than the family. Regardless, my sister did absolutely nothing wrong, didn’t deserve anything that happened and just happened to be the random woman this predator got his hands on….and I still want people to learn something without my sister being blamed for a single thing. Always maintain the buddy system, don’t trust strangers who seem friendly and trust your gut. I know that after 5 days of her missing, the police could have found her sooner. It wouldn’t have changed the outcome but she wouldn’t have laid there like she was trash for days while we desperately looked for her for my mother to find. RIP to all the missing, who have passed, whether found or not. My heart is with the Mosley family as their worst nightmare unfolds. Xx

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 179

Officedoor123

VIP Member
It’s very sad that someone who has been so much in the public eye ‘pushing’ a harmful way to health turns out not to have been a healthy chap at all. doesn‘t look good I feel for his family I hope they get some closure.
Very mean spirited thing to say at this point in time.

• Heart
Reactions: 76

Honeystar

VIP Member
Any death is sad but there is always something that hits me when someone dies on holiday. The thought that his wife will have to fly home without him just breaks my heart.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 69

Eye_Spy

Chatty Member
Reporting now it was the mayor that spotted something from a boat and contacted a waiter on land who went from the marina/hotel to check it out and found the body. So not even the trained rescue team found him.

what it does show however is the effort the local mayor put into pushing this search to keep momentum, to be out involved in the search personally. Most officials would sit in an office or make sound bites for the media.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I didn’t really pay much attention to him or his work if I’m honest but I hadn’t noticed how absolutely handsome he was for a man in his late 60s and he appeared to have been very calm and reassuring. It’s tragic when so many useless tossers walk this earth bringing nothing to the table

• Heart
Reactions: 60

troutpout69

VIP Member
I think we need to be very careful of hearsay. By all accounts he was a happily married man who worked very closely with his wife!

• Heart
Reactions: 59

lilyannrose

VIP Member
I've found the story and now the announcement of Michael's death so upsetting. I think because in theory it is something that could happen to anyone, just one of those tragedies that happens sometimes and there is no fault or anything off at play.

I feel devastated for his wife and family, they have been so strong. I hope they'll be left to grief how they choose. As ever there were soem horrendously nasty comments about Michael on X, and whether you like a person or agree with what they do or not I will never understand those who spout such bile during tragic times.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 58

sarahjane83

the blame here, should actually fall on the island government (although clearly the mayor did an excellent and dedicated job with the search party). This path had a distinct entrance point at the end of a road in a residential street…so why wasn’t it gated off in heat where it is unsafe to walk in? If it’s dangerous even in cooler weather, especially seeing as the island doesn’t have a hospital, why have it open at all? It only leads to one very small hotel/marina. That marina is served by boats not a road, the footpath isn’t safe for general use, maybe hardcore hikers only might generally want to try it, but surely it’s better for the island to just close it off and not have these risks? Gates that open one-way only (so people can exit if they somehow got in, but not enter) would be the solution.

It would be interesting (I haven’t seen it anywhere) to know what the entrance to the path looks like from the Pedi side. Whether there is warning signage and how much of it, (and if so, how clear it is that it’s not a general precaution bit a serious risk of death)
There is nobody to blame, and certainly not the government. It would be a nanny state overreaction to deny freedom to walk on a path because of an accident.

Reactions: 57

Scarlett O' Hara

VIP Member
I have been so upset since Dr Michael's plight became known.

Like most of us , I never met the man but I genuinely appreciated and respected his knowledge regarding diet, cardio & diabetic health information.

I suffer from none of the aforementioned illnesses, but in a bid to feel fitter & loose a stone fast, I did the 800 diet and it worked for me and I felt fabulous. I also loved him on the tv and always felt he was kind even when delivering news about bad diets etc.

His death has really knocked me sideways and I can only wish his wife and children the best of luck with their lives without their beloved husband and dad. :cry:

• Heart
Reactions: 56

GalaxyGirl70

VIP Member
I had a mild case of heatstroke a few years ago and can't believe how horrible I felt and how quickly. It's just horribly upsetting to think of how he died.

I'm type 2 diabetic, and off most of my medication thanks to Dr Mosley's advice. And finally GP's are seeing the light with low carb diets. I have most of his books and just feel so incredibly sad - it's most odd when someone has a big impact on your life even though you've never met them. I hope his family are now left quietly alone by the media with their grief.

• Heart
Reactions: 55

Bettyboo2475

Chatty Member
We all make mistakes but he paid the ultimate one. I don't think it's nice to see any criticism now it's over. Let's just learn from it, remember the human compassion needed for all involved and let's just maybe close this thread now.

• Heart
Reactions: 52

troutpout69

VIP Member
The victim blaming on Facebook is rife and I come here and see some comments too. Poor man barely dead and being blamed for his choices 🥴
---

This!! How do people think everyone gets around when the sun is shining, suddenly start levitating?! He's a grown adult I'm sure he took measured risk and unfortunately his time was up and that's that, probably nothing he could have done to prevent it.
I can’t stand victim blaming. He may have felt too ill and wanted to get home as quickly as possibly and just became confused. Anyone can make a silly mistake in the heat of the moment. It’s so sad that it cost him his life in this case! I hope to god he died quickly and heartbreaking how near he was to help!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52

bluefox9

I find it really strange one very flawed study said IM wasn't for everyone and so many people jumped on that to say this guy was dangerous.

Like people were desperate to discredit IM fasting and him.
Just wanted to say on this quickly, I think the work Dr Mosley did around dietary advice over the years was very well researched and has helped a lot of people - he’s left behind a great legacy.

The people who jumped on one flawed study against it are probably the same people who try to say BMI is “completely meaningless”… and often they have a bit of weight issue they’re in denial about 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 49

Lalla

VIP Member
It's very sad, poor man. I hope he didn't suffer.

On the whole 'why was he walking' question, I don't think it's that surprising. He was in his 60s not his 80s, a healthy active man (my dad was still working full time in a manual job at his age). I appreciate it was very hot but on a coastal path there may have been a breeze keeping him cool. And on the footage he didn't look exhausted, or seem to be struggling with the heat. I'm sure as a pp said he got to the town and though sod waiting for a bus I'll just walk the rest of the way, it's not that far...and then either lost his footing and fell, or had some kind of cardiac episode. Or possibly passed out due to the heat and fell because of that.

The phone isn't odd really. Some people aren't on their phones every 5 mins especially on holiday. He might even have deliberately left it behind knowing he didn't want to be stuck at the beach all day and leaving it as an excuse to go back early.

I think the whole Nicola Bulley investigation showed that sometimes unfortunate, random accidents happen. There's not always something more to it.

• Heart
Reactions: 49

jackolantern

VIP Member
I feel so upset for him. Chances are he actually did everything right (umbrella for shade, water, heading back because he felt unwell, possibly heading toward help/shade/sea) and was just really fucking unlucky. It's heartbreaking that he dedicated a life to taking care of himself as best as he saw fit (whether you agree with his methods is neither here nor there, the point is HE did and that's what matters), to make sure he was there for his family and the fucking universe wiped him out anyway.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48

Emlo

How am I feeling so sad over a man I didn’t even know. The story just got hold of me and I’ve been waiting on good news ever since. It’s how close he was that’s annoying me. Why wasn’t he found sooner even if he was already dead when he was first reported missing
I think there’s an element of wanting to believe he was “special” in some way and would have found a way to survive. After all, he’s a famous doctor. Surely he’d know the risks, recognise the warning signs earlier etc.

The reality is he was just human. We all make mistakes and errors of judgment and sadly for him that was fatal.

• Heart
Reactions: 48

PiefaceG

VIP Member
Idk. Doctors are just people too. I've known a few of them over my life and the boomer ones can have a right ego on them. Convinced they're always right. Refuse to update their knowledge. I've also had many GPs miss serious issues that put me in A&E. Not to say that Michael Mosley or his wife are anything like the above, but just to mention that Dr's aren't automatically geniuses or immune to making bad decisions. Even if they're on the telly.

• Heart
Reactions: 45

Upintheair83

VIP Member
Rest in peace Michael. So many people have been grateful for your advice. May your legacy be your family's comfort. X

• Heart
Reactions: 44

NumptymeNumptyyou

Chatty Member
One thing I do wish people would stop mentioning is about him being a doctor and being knowledgeable about not going for walks in heat. having worked within the NHS a lot of doctors are medically competent but very lacking in common sense.

Also He was a doctor in qualifying only back in early 80s he didn't practise as a doctor he isn't licensed as a medical doctor and pretty much went straight into television after qualifying.

• Heart
Reactions: 44