Michael Mosley

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know that review was seven years ago but there is something so gut wrenching about all the warnings regarding not doing it on your own, wearing long trousers and watching out for snakes etc, then the final sentence ‘if you do make it, it’s extremely beautiful and rewarding’ 😭😭😭

• Sad
Reactions: 16
What makes me so sad is how he was determined to outlive his male relatives by changing his diet and getting into fitness, only for this tragic accident to happen before he got to reach 70 :(. I remember reading an article only a couple of weeks ago about how he was taking vitamin D tablets daily to prolong his life.

Edit: BBC 1 will be airing a tribute programme for him on Friday 14th June at 8pm.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
There is nobody to blame, and certainly not the government. It would be a nanny state overreaction to deny freedom to walk on a path because of an accident.
I agree, there's a river nearby here and from time to time, some poor soul ends up in it. There were people campaigning for a while to have the entirety of the river fenced off. The natural world is dangerous and people are fragile, but it's just not realistic to safety proof every eventuality.

Reactions: 18
What makes me so sad is how he was determined to outlive his male relatives by changing his diet and getting into fitness, only for this tragic accident to happen before he got to reach 70 :(. I remember reading an article only a couple of weeks ago about how he was taking vitamin D tablets daily to prolong his life.

Edit: BBC 1 will be airing a tribute programme for him on Friday 14th June at 8pm.
This has been my overriding thought since he died. He didn't want to die relatively young like his father. He was determined to be as healthy as possible. It's all so desperately sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 31
Reactions: 3
So did he complete his walk and then decide to go further to challenge himself or did he become confused and take the wrong path?

Reactions: 5
So did he complete his walk and then decide to go further to challenge himself or did he become confused and take the wrong path?
He walked past the correct turning back to Symi town and then took a turning and path in completely the wrong direction. Maybe he thought that it led beyond Agia Marina round the coast. Given how quickly the coroner estimated that he died, he may have been confused by that stage.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
I had a mild case of heatstroke a few years ago and can't believe how horrible I felt and how quickly. It's just horribly upsetting to think of how he died.

I'm type 2 diabetic, and off most of my medication thanks to Dr Mosley's advice. And finally GP's are seeing the light with low carb diets. I have most of his books and just feel so incredibly sad - it's most odd when someone has a big impact on your life even though you've never met them. I hope his family are now left quietly alone by the media with their grief.
I'm healthy and very careful with both heat and hydration, but I've unfortunately had heatstroke twice, the first time was by far the worst. On both occasions, I had been sick with some kind of stomach virus thing and recovered, but that was enough to cause it a few days later because it leaves your electrolytes outlet of whack and you don't notice because you feel better. Be aware of this, everyone! The second time it happened, I realised what was wrong much sooner and took action, so it wasn't as bad.

I genuinely thought I was going to die the first time, my flatmate called the ambulance service for advice because I was gibbering away about god knows what. The weird thing was, I had accepted death. I "knew" I was going to die, so since then I've kind of had a degree of insight into how people get to this stage in life... That's why I don't think Michael suffered in this sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
For me, I question how disoriented he would be 20 mins after the video of him striding pas the restaurant, and having to open the metal gate to the path. Also, not his first visit to the island. I am erring towards him making a poor choice to have a long walk, but then I don’t know how long after confusion/dehydration kicks in that you can keep going, another hour seems a lot.

Reactions: 14
What’s so terrible is his last moments according to media reports were spent zig zagging and crawling over the rocks before passing out and falling to the ground. Bless him, he was desperate to try and get help from where he was!
---
For me, I question how disoriented he would be 20 mins after the video of him striding pas the restaurant, and having to open the metal gate to the path. Also, not his first visit to the island. I am erring towards him making a poor choice to have a long walk, but then I don’t know how long after confusion/dehydration kicks in that you can keep going, another hour seems a lot.
I think the same. He wanted to challenge himself further and his wife’s statement that they took comfort in that he nearly made it and did an extraordinary climb or whatever it was she said!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
RIP Dr Mosley. My dad had an awful 'funny turn ' with heat in Scarborough of all places. He was of an age where he needs the loo a lot so restricted his fluids 😬. Anyone who knows Scarborough there is a steepish climb to the station and he collapsed. It was such a shock. Hot sun and age are a bad mix.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
What’s so terrible is his last moments according to media reports were spent zig zagging and crawling over the rocks before passing out and falling to the ground. Bless him, he was desperate to try and get help from where he was!
Sadly, I think he would not have survived even if he'd been seen and helped at that time.

If you read the article of what heatstroke does to you a few pages earlier, it says your stomach releases its liquids, I suppose in an effort to get any fluid into the body, but stomach juices contain toxins which poison you.

It's so sad that he was probably just one minute from help though. If he'd just taken more water with him he'd be recovering in hospital by now and have another story to tell.

It's quite shocking that in 2 hours he went from being healthy and fine to take a long walk to dying.

• Sad
Reactions: 31
Yes I think he intended to go to Agia Marina and ended up on the wrong path high up. I’m just not sure we will ever know at what point he made that decision to go there but his wife clearly didn’t know.

I think if he took the wrong path in pedi due to heat related confusion then I don’t think he would have made it as far as he did, nearly two hours later.

I don’t think he would have mistakenly taken that path thinking it was the road back to Sumi.

Reactions: 12
Sadly, I think he would not have survived even if he'd been seen and helped at that time.

If you read the article of what heatstroke does to you a few pages earlier, it says your stomach releases its liquids, I suppose in an effort to get any fluid into the body, but stomach juices contain toxins which poison you.

It's so sad that he was probably just one minute from help though. If he'd just taken more water with him he'd be recovering in hospital by now and have another story to tell.

It's quite shocking that in 2 hours he went from being healthy and fine to take a long walk to dying.
I think he would have needed to be found at least half an hour before his death, in order to have a fighting chance. I think there’s a risk he might have still died, had a medical event even then.

Reactions: 11
This google review has a really good description and photos of the walk from Pedi that is the route people should take, with pics of the red and blue marked rocks that were mentioned in the press. So people do take this route but it shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Looking at those photos of the path to the monastery and the lovely view, I think I can understand now why he carried on walking, the view at the top of the hill looks beautiful. I feel terribly sad for him now and understand why he carried on, it’s so tragic and such a terrible loss of a good person who helped so many people with his advice.

Reactions: 18
Very interesting, and the sort of thing we should be hearing about in the northern hemisphere.
Rudyard Kipling wrote about it, as did Noel Coward. "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

Siestas are important too, sleeping through the heat of the day. You will see very few locals wandering around from about 1-5pm unless they have to! When in Rome etc....

If they go to the beach, it is to regularly swim to cool down, and they always take shade with them - beach brollies etc.

Our problem as Brits is the desperation for sun, and heatstroke can kill very fast. A friend of mine's dad, early 50s, collapsed in Madrid, blue-lighted immediately to hospital where they tried and tried to cool his core down, but his temperature just kept increasing, and he was dead within hours. In that heatwave about 5 years ago. Very sad.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I live in a very hot country too, and spend far more time in the shade than the sun this time of year! Next 3 months avoiding that burning thing above for me. Nocturnal innit.
I grew up in the Gulf in the 1960s and 1970s before central air conditioning was ubiquitous and my father worked 'summer' hours - to work in the cooler early morning, home to sleep during the heat of the day and back to work in the evening. It was common earlier to sleep on the flat roof of houses at night to get a breeze. We had a veranda with a solid roof and open on the garden sides with fly netting all around the open sides.

It's no coincidence that loose cotton clothing in light colours are worn by Arab men who would be the ones outdoors. Women's traditional clothing though coloured and often embroidered tends to the loose too. Queen Rania of Jordan often wears traditional-inspired dresses and her mother-in-law Princess Muna wore a gorgeous one at her son's silver jubilee this past week. Think of Hawaiian muumuus, Moroccan djellabas, and kaftans too.

With rising temperatures, Europeans need to learn that skimpy, man-made fibres or dark colours aren't good. MM was in dark blue and dark colours absorb the heat. There's a reason why military 'tropical' uniforms are white or very light colours.

• Heart
Reactions: 22