Michael Mosley

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been so upset since Dr Michael's plight became known.

Like most of us , I never met the man but I genuinely appreciated and respected his knowledge regarding diet, cardio & diabetic health information.

I suffer from none of the aforementioned illnesses, but in a bid to feel fitter & loose a stone fast, I did the 800 diet and it worked for me and I felt fabulous. I also loved him on the tv and always felt he was kind even when delivering news about bad diets etc.

His death has really knocked me sideways and I can only wish his wife and children the best of luck with their lives without their beloved husband and dad. :cry:

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I didn’t really pay much attention to him or his work if I’m honest but I hadn’t noticed how absolutely handsome he was for a man in his late 60s and he appeared to have been very calm and reassuring. It’s tragic when so many useless tossers walk this earth bringing nothing to the table

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I feel the same Scarlett. I'm so sad for him and his family.
Me too. Not been affected by a news story so badly in ages. I have struggled with weight issues my whole life and Fast 800 literally saved me from prediabetes and finally was a way of life i could commit to long term, because I actually lost weight! I’m so thankful for how engaging he was and for his and Clare’s recipes. They became such a huge part of my life. Feel like such a weirdo for saying so but I think there are many of us out there who were really changed for the better by his (and their!) work.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Me too. Not been affected by a news story so badly in ages. I have struggled with weight issues my whole life and Fast 800 literally saved me from prediabetes and finally was a way of life i could commit to long term, because I actually lost weight! I’m so thankful for how engaging he was and for his and Clare’s recipes. They became such a huge part of my life. Feel like such a weirdo for saying so but I think there are many of us out there who were really changed for the better by his (and their!) work.
Same here, I'd never managed to stick to anything long term before trying the fast 800.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I didn’t really pay much attention to him or his work if I’m honest but I hadn’t noticed how absolutely handsome he was for a man in his late 60s and he appeared to have been very calm and reassuring. It’s tragic when so many useless tossers walk this earth bringing nothing to the table
I was shocked when I heard he was in his late 60’s as I’d have had him down as a good ten years younger.

Reactions: 14
After trying to loose weight for two years without any success. (It stays the same, has moved about 2lbs. Blood tests, pt for six months, nutrition check, not a thing moved)

Am going to try Fast 800.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
After trying to loose weight for two years without any success. (It stays the same, has moved about 2lbs. Blood tests, pt for six months, nutrition check, not a thing moved)

If you have kindle unlimited they are free to download, eBay also have them cheaper than Amazon. The fast 800 easy recipe book is my favourite, I don't even think of it as a diet.

Reactions: 11

Maybe try 5 2 to see how you get in. It’s 800 cals on 2 days of the week. I’m doing it this week

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Maybe try 5 2 to see how you get in. It’s 800 cals on 2 days of the week. I’m doing it this week
I've just started 5:2 this week too. I bought several of his books last week and in the one I was reading last night he talks about how he always tries to go on guided walking tours when he goes abroad to places. He also says how changing his lifestyle was so that he live a long enough life to see his grandchildren grow up 😥.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
Thanks all, will have a look at both and decide.

If you eat 800 calories on two days, how many in the other 5?

Thanks all, will have a look at both and decide.

If you eat 800 calories on two days, how many in the other 5?
You don’t calorie count the other 5 days but you shouldn’t go beserk either. I’ve done my second 800 cal fast of the week. The second was much easier.

Reactions: 8
I grew up in the Gulf in the 1960s and 1970s before central air conditioning was ubiquitous and my father worked 'summer' hours - to work in the cooler early morning, home to sleep during the heat of the day and back to work in the evening. It was common earlier to sleep on the flat roof of houses at night to get a breeze. We had a veranda with a solid roof and open on the garden sides with fly netting all around the open sides.

It's no coincidence that loose cotton clothing in light colours are worn by Arab men who would be the ones outdoors. Women's traditional clothing though coloured and often embroidered tends to the loose too. Queen Rania of Jordan often wears traditional-inspired dresses and her mother-in-law Princess Muna wore a gorgeous one at her son's silver jubilee this past week. Think of Hawaiian muumuus, Moroccan djellabas, and kaftans too.

With rising temperatures, Europeans need to learn that skimpy, man-made fibres or dark colours aren't good. MM was in dark blue and dark colours absorb the heat. There's a reason why military 'tropical' uniforms are white or very light colours.
We know Michael loved adventure and challenges. Maybe he had read the review and had planned to walk that route, however I can’t explain then why he didn’t heed the cautions in the review re dress code and risked doing it when he had no phone, unless he didn’t realise.

Reactions: 4
Just listened to Michael's last interview recorded at the Hay Festival for Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago. It was a great discussion with a
psychologist about ways to get meaning and satisfaction out of life rather than pursuing pleasure for its own sake. It struck me as poignant when the psychologist said that things which require effort or are more difficult bring greater pleasure and satisfaction, and I wonder if Michael had that thought ringing in his head when he decided to take a longer walk back to Symi instead of catching a bus or boat. There's a couple of rather ghoulish videos on YouTube where journalists retrace the last part of the walk down the hill to the final spot where he sits down and then dies, and to me it shows that he must have been very fit, because whilst it is not mountaineering difficulty it is certainly very awkward and tiring terrain as you have to pick your way step by step over very stony ground and between large rocks. To do that for over an hour in scorching temperatures must have taken supreme effort. At some point after leaving Pedi, despite seeing the nature of the terrain, he carried on with a determination to press forward rather than turn back to safety so must have been to some extent still taking pleasure in his endeavour at that point. We've all made errors of judgment when out in the hills and fixed on a plan I'm sure, and luckily got away with it, but what surprises me most is that he didn't take into account that he wasn't dressed for the heat with dark clothing, dark hat, and dark umbrella.

• Sad
Reactions: 22
This US tourist is still missing on a greek
Islands. He’s actually done the things MM has been criticised for not doing - taken his phone, planned his walk to be finished by around 11am, stopped for refreshments etc. and he still hasn’t been found. I think it’s easy to think if only MM had taken his phone or more water etc. then he would have been ok. I don’t know what the temps are like 7-11am ish. I’m guessing still in the 30s which would be too hot for me.

Reactions: 13