Michael Mosley

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm shocked and disgusted that the Greek media have published images of his body. Considering the country has been so helpful in the search. I know our tabloids are scum but this is so disrespectful.

• Angry
Reactions: 16
Just read a comment Michael Mosley made about what motivated him to follow a healthy lifestyle - he said no male in his family had ever got past 72.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
I'm shocked and disgusted that the Greek media have published images of his body. Considering the country has been so helpful in the search. I know our tabloids are scum but this is so disrespectful.
I think different countries have different views on showing things like nudity and dead bodies. We're used to not seeing much of either in our media but lots of countries don't shy away from it. Someone on this thread earlier warned that if a body was found, the Greek media would publish the photos. I'm with you, I find it a bit unnecessary but it's not up to us.

Reactions: 26
Where have they published images?

Reactions: 2
I think different countries have different views on showing things like nudity and dead bodies. We're used to not seeing much of either in our media but lots of countries don't shy away from it. Someone on this thread earlier warned that if a body was found, the Greek media would publish the photos. I'm with you, I find it a bit unnecessary but it's not up to us.
Quite. It’s just cultural differences. I can remember Russian media showing dead bodies from the MH17 plane crash on their news. It was obviously mostly blurred out here, but some of it did manage to get through. Horrific to us but the norm there.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Quite. It’s just cultural differences. I can remember Russian media showing dead bodies from the MH17 plane crash on their news. It was obviously mostly blurred out here, but some of it did manage to get through. Horrific to us but the norm there.
It's horrible for the loved ones to see and I'm certain it's traumatic for anyone who has been though something similar. Quite aside from the link from a Greek outlet posted here, there's video footage of the body (in a litter, in a body bag) being carried to the boat. No one needs to see that. It's not a cultural difference, it's just ghoulish.

Reactions: 9
Someone else on here (further up the thread) posted a photograph of Michael’s dead body from a Greek media website, so unless you went actively looking on one of the Greek sites, not sure why this shocks or disgusts you. Yes, other countries have different boundaries when it comes to showing death or devastation, which would be considered shocking and censored here in the UK.
---
It's horrible for the loved ones to see and I'm certain it's traumatic for anyone who has been though something similar. Quite aside from the link from a Greek outlet posted here, there's video footage of the body (in a litter, in a body bag) being carried to the boat. No one needs to see that. It's not a cultural difference, it's just ghoulish.
I saw that on Twitter (I refuse to call it X) from a journalist from The Times newspaper!

Reactions: 14
I'm not shocked at them showing a dead body. Dead bodies are all over the Internet and social media. I am shocked that they've published the photos of his body as soon as he's been found, when his family have been searching.. it just seems disrespectful to his family. That's not a cultural issue that's a moral issue. They're not showing the horrors of war, of terrorism, etc.

Reactions: 18
I'm not shocked at them showing a dead body. Dead bodies are all over the Internet and social media. I am shocked that they've published the photos of his body as soon as he's been found, when his family have been searching.. it just seems disrespectful to his family. That's not a cultural issue that's a moral issue. They're not showing the horrors of war, of terrorism, etc.
Exactly. It's not about confronting the horrors of war, which I believe should be the case. This sort of coverage isn't in the public interest in any way.
I saw that video I mentioned above on Twitter as well. Unfortunately 'autoplay video' has turned itself back on, it's not like I voluntarily clicked it.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Just read a comment Michael Mosley made about what motivated him to follow a healthy lifestyle - he said no male in his family had ever got past 72.
Wow 😮
It seems that try as you might, you can’t outrun fate 😞

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
I feel desperately sad for his wife, to lose your spouse is bad enough in itself but I can imagine she's going to spend the rest of her life thinking it's her fault for not stopping him or going with him, even though it isn't her fault at all. She'll probably also worry her kids will ask her those same questions, or that if they have the sense not to, it will always be in their minds :'(

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Anyone else find the media intrusion over the top? I know they’re always like this, but this time it feels much more intrusive. They were showing photos of his body being taken away, already speculating about him having his bag in his hand in one article and then in another the bag was found 20 metres away.
Whatever happened to resting in peace…such tragic circumstances, I feel for his family. 😔
I think most of the Tory supporting rags are quite happy to have this front and center to mask the disastrous mess sunak is making of electioneering. I'm glad the family have been able to be shielded away from having cameras shoved in their faces and their grief flashed across the news channels.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
It’s so sad because it was so avoidable, so many what ifs. Awful to think of him just lying there and being so close to help. I feel sad like I did when Sarah Harding died even though not particularly followed either of them closely. I still have to switch off the radio if a GA song comes on ☹.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
From DMail, natural causes (more tests to be done) TOD around 4pm Weds, so before he was reported missing...😔

"The autopsy carried out by Rhodes coroner Despina Nethena showed that there was no third party involvement and no 'criminal' element involved but a definite cause of death has yet to be established

Police and the coroner are also investigating footage from the restaurant seen by MailOnline which shows Dr Mosley wandering in a confused state for twenty minutes before collapsing.

Temperatures at the time had been nudging 40c and the excessive heat is thought to have played a role in his death.

In the video he appears to pause momentarily by the perimeter wall, resting one hand on it and then he loses his balance and disappears from sight.

MailOnline retraced the route and it should only have taken five minutes but Dr Mosley appeared to be wandering for twenty minutes before disappearing from view.

According to Greek website ProThema the death was put at 4pm on the day he disappeared but there was no official comment from the coroner when she was contacted."

Edit to add - BBC saying in last hour that police commented that cctv shows him in distress before falling, natural causes confirmed.

So likely heat exhaustion I'd guess. So incredibly sad, keep thinking about him.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
It’s so sad because it was so avoidable, so many what ifs. Awful to think of him just lying there and being so close to help.
I don’t think things like this are so avoidable at all unless you never take any risks and wrap everybody up in cotton wool, everything has risks. Obviously this didn’t end well but it’s not totally unreasonable to walk back to your accommodation and both myself and Mr Giraffe have done so many times, would never think to dictate to a grown adult what they can do. Until the full post mortem is completed (and we may not see that) it can’t be said exactly what happened and we’ll never know the thought pattern that made him take that route but it could be as simple as just getting lost which could happen anywhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I think most of the Tory supporting rags are quite happy to have this front and center to mask the disastrous mess sunak is making of electioneering. I'm glad the family have been able to be shielded away from having cameras shoved in their faces and their grief flashed across the news channels.
Love ya @Ally Pally, but I have to say the DM are featuring this heavily because he was a current columnist for them, and he had been writing for them since 2011.

Reactions: 20
I don’t think things like this are so avoidable at all unless you never take any risks and wrap everybody up in cotton wool, everything has risks. Obviously this didn’t end well but it’s not totally unreasonable to walk back to your accommodation and both myself and Mr Giraffe have done so many times, would never think to dictate to a grown adult what they can do. Until the full post mortem is completed (and we may not see that) it can’t be said exactly what happened and we’ll never know the thought pattern that made him take that route but it could be as simple as just getting lost which could happen anywhere.
I think there isn't nearly enough information about heat exhaustion. Given everywhere is heating up there really should be. The onset is quite fast, especially if you're exercising or moving quickly or have recently had even a little alcohol - but unfortunately it's a sort of cascade effect and you don't realise it when you're actually already in trouble. By the time you do, a lot of damage can be already done.
An average sized person in early heat stroke can sweat 1.5 litres per hour, but our guts can only absorb 1 litre per hour. This is what I mean by cascade: by the time you're aware of the issue, hydration alone isn't going to help. Only cooling the body will help. That may have been why Dr Mosley was heading for the sea.

God love the poor man, nothing about that day gave him a break, it was too hot and apparently windy, which would have dried his sweat faster - by the time he realised he was in trouble he would have very soon after become very confused. This might have been a mercy though because likely he was barely conscious of anything at the end.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Died of natural causes apparently. So I guess that means the heat? He doesn't appear to have fallen a great height, more just sat down and died I think :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 11
I feel so upset for him. Chances are he actually did everything right (umbrella for shade, water, heading back because he felt unwell, possibly heading toward help/shade/sea) and was just really bleeping unlucky. It's heartbreaking that he dedicated a life to taking care of himself as best as he saw fit (whether you agree with his methods is neither here nor there, the point is HE did and that's what matters), to make sure he was there for his family and the bleeping universe wiped him out anyway.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I think there's risk and there's risks. A 67 year old, walking in Greece in the middle of the day where temperatures are approaching 40 degrees and you're unsure of your route is a MASSIVE risk.

Edit: also taking no phone with you

Last edited:
Reactions: 23