Michael Mosley

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What an awful outcome.
I wonder what on earth happened - I hope he didn’t suffer too much. It makes me sad to think of him being alone and scared 😔
His poor family; absolutely horrific for them.

• Sad
Reactions: 36
Well quite. She couldn't have stopped him. Someone else made a similar comment about his wife "letting" him go off without his phone as if you can have that control over someone else. That's the attitude I was referring to. This idea that his wife could have stopped him/not let him do something.
The fact they'd holidayed there before would have been a big factor in not feeling unduly worried about him going alone to his destination.

Reactions: 21
He may not even have been lost. He may have just made the decision to walk intentionally to the marina, have drink/lunch there and then walk back again in time to meet the others for the 4pm water taxi or get the bus. It might just be that he didn’t know it was a treacherous path or how long it was, he may have expected a similar walk to the earlier coast path if no-one had specially warned him it wasn’t a well used and safe route. It seems he was known for enjoying walking generally, he had an umbrella and possibly plenty of water in his backpack, the most likely scenario is that he just didn’t anticipate the danger.

Reactions: 31
I was hoping for a different outcome, but as each day passed, I feared the worst. So sad to see this on the news this morning. I feel so sorry for his wife and family, the anguish they would have gone through whilst waiting for news and now further devastation upon learning he has been found.

But, I cannot help thinking that him being a Doctor, he would have known the effects of taking a walk in blistering heat would do to the body. Even if you are medically fit, walking in that heat would affect you. I cannot understand why he even contemplated walking, especially given the rough terrain.

The outpouring of respect and love for him must be some comfort to his family. Poor man.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
He may not even have been lost. He may have just made the decision to walk intentionally to the marina, have drink/lunch there and then walk back again in time to meet the others for the 4pm water taxi or get the bus. It might just be that he didn’t know it was a treacherous path or how long it was, he may have expected a similar walk to the earlier coast path if no-one had specially warned him it wasn’t a well used and safe route. It seems he was known for enjoying walking generally, he had an umbrella and possibly plenty of water in his backpack, the most likely scenario is that he just didn’t anticipate the danger.
I think he had a sudden cardiac event, possibly brought on by the heat. I think people can be unaware (because it's a scary thought) that it is possible to die extremely suddenly - to literally drop dead - meaning to die and *then* fall. I think this is what happened here. I don't think he suffered. He may have had a moment of pain and/or nausea but I suspect it all happened very suddenly, so suddenly he would not even have put his hands out to break his fall.

Reactions: 23
I think he had a sudden cardiac event, possibly brought on by the heat. I think people can be unaware (because it's a scary thought) that it is possible to die extremely suddenly - to literally drop dead - meaning to die and *then* fall. I think this is what happened here. I don't think he suffered. He may have had a moment of pain and/or nausea but I suspect it all happened very suddenly, so suddenly he would not even have put his hands out to break his fall.
This is how my grandmother died. Not while out in hot temperatures in Greece, just here in Scotland going about her daily business for shopping. Just dropped dead totally out of the blue, they said she was dead before she even hit the ground. I guess for the person concerned they had no idea and didn't suffer. But a very big shock for the family left behind.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Sadly it’s not a treacherous path to the Marina from Pedi though, there’s a well established, if very exposed, route approaching from the south west. This is near where he was last seen on CCTV and if he had stuck with it he would have probably successfully made that journey. His body however was found north of the Marina lending support to the theory he had tried to cut back a different way, got very lost and didn’t know where he was by this point.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
This is how my grandmother died. Not while out in hot temperatures in Greece, just here in Scotland going about her daily business for shopping. Just dropped dead totally out of the blue, they said she was dead before she even hit the ground. I guess for the person concerned they had no idea and didn't suffer. But a very big shock for the family left behind.
I'm really sorry to hear that about your granny. Sudden death is a truly dreadful shock for loved ones.

It's actually how my dad died as well. He was getting dressed. He sat on the edge of the bed and crossed his legs to tie his shoelace and then - just fell backwards. His other shoelace wasn't tied, which is how the doctor could tell what had happened.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
One thing I do wish people would stop mentioning is about him being a doctor and being knowledgeable about not going for walks in heat. having worked within the NHS a lot of doctors are medically competent but very lacking in common sense.

Also He was a doctor in qualifying only back in early 80s he didn't practise as a doctor he isn't licensed as a medical doctor and pretty much went straight into television after qualifying.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Sadly it’s not a treacherous path to the Marina from Pedi though, there’s a well established, if very exposed, route approaching from the south west. This is near where he was last seen on CCTV and if he had stuck with it he would have probably successfully made that journey. His body however was found north of the Marina lending support to the theory he had tried to cut back a different way, got very lost and didn’t know where he was by this point.
I suspect he did take that southwest path, couldn't gain access through the gate and tried to walk around the perimeter to find a way in.

Saw some footage on news just now that one of the police trying to get MM's body out fell and broke his leg, he was being stretchered out.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
such a sad outcome, he seemed like such a lovely gentleman. My thoughts are with his loved ones ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Well I’m glad his family have that closure. I assume there will be a PM in Rhodes or even Thessaloniki/Athens, which might shed some light on whether there was an event, or just the effects of the heat.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
One thing I do wish people would stop mentioning is about him being a doctor and being knowledgeable about not going for walks in heat. having worked within the NHS a lot of doctors are medically competent but very lacking in common sense.

Also He was a doctor in qualifying only back in early 80s he didn't practise as a doctor he isn't licensed as a medical doctor and pretty much went straight into television after qualifying.
I am not a Doctor, but even I wouldn’t go for a walk in the punishing heat abroad. I know how it could affect me and I would not be prepared to take that risk.

Reactions: 16
Some years ago on a hot day ( for England) a man in his 50’s collapsed opposite me. He had had a massive heart attack and sadly did not survive it. He dropped like a felled tree. No attempt to put out his arms to save himself. CPR didn’t work sadly.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Idk. Doctors are just people too. I've known a few of them over my life and the boomer ones can have a right ego on them. Convinced they're always right. Refuse to update their knowledge. I've also had many GPs miss serious issues that put me in A&E. Not to say that Michael Mosley or his wife are anything like the above, but just to mention that Dr's aren't automatically geniuses or immune to making bad decisions. Even if they're on the telly.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Idk. Doctors are just people too. I've known a few of them over my life and the boomer ones can have a right ego on them. Convinced they're always right. Refuse to update their knowledge. I've also had many GPs miss serious issues that put me in A&E. Not to say that Michael Mosley or his wife are anything like the above, but just to mention that Dr's aren't automatically geniuses or immune to making bad decisions. Even if they're on the telly.
Agree with this. One of my school mum friends is a GP, and she can be very safety/ health clueless 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 15

I just read this after posting! Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

Reactions: 4